Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Mutumba said:

Well, since they are fairly well known players I thought ppl could still give me some advice. Im guessing some of you have come across these players before...

They are pretty equal in terms om personality. Zielinski a bit more controversy, Olmo slightly more profesional and ambitious.

Wagedemands are pretty similar

Versatility is something ive already touched upon

Does the scouting reports say anything about their Consistency? Of one of them is very consistent or consistent and the other isn't then you know which one to choose.

If there is no difference there I'd go with Olmo since he is younger.

The board wants me to play direct football. Apart from the evident team and player instructions (more direct passing, attacking forwards to make use of space), I can't get the vertical style right. The thing I struggle with most is team mentality. Is a more attacking mentality (more risk) better suited for direct football, or is the contrary true, will less risky mentalities lead to more long balls behind the opposing defence?

Not sure this fits into tactics and training so apologies if I should be asking this somewhere else, but couldn't find anywhere more relevant and it doesn't need it's own thread.

I was wondering if it was possible to see player stats from open play only? i.e. excluding set pieces? I'm interested in things like key passes per 90, chances created etc but the player in question is my set piece taker and I would like to know how much of an impact this is having on his numbers.

10 hours ago, ElJefe4 said:

Not sure this fits into tactics and training so apologies if I should be asking this somewhere else, but couldn't find anywhere more relevant and it doesn't need it's own thread.

I was wondering if it was possible to see player stats from open play only? i.e. excluding set pieces? I'm interested in things like key passes per 90, chances created etc but the player in question is my set piece taker and I would like to know how much of an impact this is having on his numbers.

You can't

7 minutes ago, eXistenZ said:

When paired with another DM, which role in general would you want for the 3rd midfielder in a 433? I assume somesort of a playmaking role?

Like, a midfield trio of:

CM

DM            DM

Something like:

CM(A)

VOL(S)      DLP(D/S) 

Could work, just have the left back be less adventurous than the right back, if I've understood you correctly  

Does 'Pace' attribute value affect timing in a goalkeeper's attempt to save a shot on target or It is just the speed at which he runs to a loose ball out of goal?

Edited by Fox-7-

3 minutes ago, Fox-7- said:

Does 'Pace' attribute value affect timing in a goalkeeper's attempt to save a shot on target or It Is just the speed at wich he runs to a loose ball out of goal?

Yeah, the speed he runs out 

23 hours ago, davehibb said:

When appointing staff, if it's an either/or situation, is it better to have staff with the same/similar tactical style/preferred formation, or staff with better personalities?

At least for your coaches, the preferred style and formation is purely aesthetic and has no effect on training. And I don't think personally has any effect either, with one exception. The star rating of staff will affected by higher Determination attribute. So naturally staff with "more determined" personalities like resolute or driven will make for better coaches. 

Edited by crusadertsar

3 minutes ago, crusadertsar said:

At least for your coaches, the preferred style and formation is purely aesthetic and has no effect on training. And I don't think personally has any effect either, with one exception. The star rating of staff will affected by  higher Determination attribute. So naturally staff with "more determined" personalities like resolute or driven will make for batter coaches. 

I was thinking more in terms of model citizen and professional coaches passing those positive personalities onto players. Or is that not a thing?

4 minutes ago, davehibb said:

I was thinking more in terms of model citizen and professional coaches passing those positive personalities onto players. Or is that not a thing?

Yes but are you talking about Head of Youth Development then? Because I'm pretty sure only the coach in charge of youth intake does that. Anyway, i never seen any of my other coaches passing their personality on. Which is probably a good thing since I have one who is "fickle" haha. But again maybe one save is not enough proof that it can't happen. 

Edited by crusadertsar

Just now, crusadertsar said:

Yes but are you talking about Head of Youth Development then? Because I'm pretty sure only the coach in charge of youth intake does that. Anyway, i never seen any of my other coaches passing their personality on. Which is probably a good thing since I have one who is "fickle" haha.

Just regular coaches. I wondered if having coaches with good personalities help the overall squad personalty by rubbing off on some players?

3 minutes ago, davehibb said:

Just regular coaches. I wondered if having coaches with good personalities help the overall squad personalty by rubbing off on some players?

For sure, I hope so. Just haven't seen any proof of this in my experience with FM22. Hopefully SI people can chime in and prove me wrong though. 

Edited by crusadertsar

9 minutes ago, crusadertsar said:

For sure, I hope so. Just haven't seen any proof of this in my experience with FM22. Hopefully SI people can chime in and prove me wrong though. 

Yeah, you'd like to think that having a positive culture in terms of coaches etc. would have a knock on effect to players.

1 hour ago, crusadertsar said:

At least for your coaches, the preferred style and formation is purely aesthetic and has no effect on training. And I don't think personally has any effect either, with one exception. The star rating of staff will affected by  higher Determination attribute. So naturally staff with "more determined" personalities like resolute or driven will make for batter coaches. 

Are you sure that this is correct? Personally, I've read some articles / posts which say that these are essential attributes for coaches.

14 minutes ago, Hovis Dexter said:

Are you sure that this is correct? Personally, I've read some articles / posts which say that these are essential attributes for coaches.

Really? Maybe you could link me some of those articles? And are they from official SI statements?

The preferred formation and personalities? I mean personalities are linked directly to determination so that would make more sense since more determined coaches get higher star ratings. But prefered formation honestly I wouldn't care about. In my experience, my players attributes improve just fine and most of my coaches dont prefer my team's formation or style. If there's is an effect maybe it's very minimal? Kind of like playing a player with suitable attributes for the role despite him not being natural for that role. In this game attributes are KEY for both players and staff. Just get the highest star rated coaches you can and you are set. And make sure that ALL areas of training are covered.

Edited by crusadertsar

1 hour ago, crusadertsar said:

Really? Maybe you could link me some of those articles? And are they from official SI statements?

The preferred formation and personalities? I mean personalities are linked directly to determination so that would make more sense since more determined coaches get higher star ratings. But prefered formation honestly I wouldn't care about. In my experience, my players attributes improve just fine and most of my coaches dont prefer my team's formation or style. If there's is an effect maybe it's very minimal? Kind of like playing a player with suitable attributes for the role despite him not being natural for that role. In this game attributes are KEY for both players and staff. Just get the highest star rated coaches you can and you are set. And make sure that ALL areas of training are covered.

Personally, I don't take any notice of the preferred formations and styles when choosing my coaches but I always look for the best personalities because I like to think that the personalities rub off on the players ... even if they don't in the game I'm sure that would in real life! Anyway, to answer your question ... I'm not aware of any official SI statements and I was mainly thinking about the RDF training schedule . If formations and styles do not have any effect perhaps this is the reason that RDF's posts regarding training are no longer available here.

is it me or every team i play against who uses 442 classic is too OP? even lower league teams who play a 442 flat, of course i dont have trouble beating them, but they are able to maintain possession and create more chances than usual. Made several tests with very different tactics. Seems like it's too OP this year, just like the classic 4231 gegenpressing, but that i can counter with a strikerless tactic, the 442 it's still a headscratcher to me

4 minutes ago, palmamiguel92 said:

is it me or every team i play against who uses 442 classic is too OP? even lower league teams who play a 442 flat, of course i dont have trouble beating them, but they are able to maintain possession and create more chances than usual. Made several tests with very different tactics. Seems like it's too OP this year, just like the classic 4231 gegenpressing, but that i can counter with a strikerless tactic, the 442 it's still a headscratcher to me

Maybe I'm crazy :idiot: but perhaps them using two strikers against you has something to do with it?

1 hour ago, Braincomplexa said:

I'm confused of the difference between injury suspectibility vs overall injury risk in the medical centre. What's more important for injuries? 

There are multiple factors, you have injury proneness, recurring injuries, training load, match load and fatigue, the overall risk is an estimation of all factors combined.

From my experience the most important factor is recurring injuries (don't sign anyone who has torn his ACL before), then injury proneness and then the rest.

On 28/01/2022 at 19:54, palmamiguel92 said:

A 433 DM formation destroys a 442 formation every single time with players at similar level.

On 28/01/2022 at 22:51, bosque said:

Good youth players should start rotating in the first team at 18 or 16-17 is a good age if they have good atributes?

If your training facilities are better in the first team, get them playing as soon as possible there.

On 28/01/2022 at 21:51, bosque said:

Good youth players should start rotating in the first team at 18 or 16-17 is a good age if they have good atributes?

I think some people have overthought the 18 = playing time advice. When a player is younger than 18 training is more important than playing time, but that doesn't mean that playing time isn't important at all. All players regardless of age should be getting playing time at a level that is suitable for them. So if a player is way too good for the u18s/u21s then he should be playing first team football either at your club or on loan. When sending a player out on loan you lose control of their training so you have to weigh up what you think is more important and take into account how good the loaning clubs training facilities are.

But to answer your question, rotate them in the first team if they are good enough to play first team football at a rotation level.

Edited by Platinum

hace 4 horas, Sharkn20 dijo:

If your training facilities are better in the first team, get them playing as soon as possible there.

hace 52 minutos, Platinum dijo:

I think some people have overthought the 18 = playing time advice. When a player is younger than 18 training is more important than playing time, but that doesn't mean that playing time isn't important at all. All players regardless of age should be getting playing time at a level that is suitable for them. So if a player is way too good for the u18s/u21s then he should be playing first team football either at your club or on loan. When sending a player out on loan you lose control of their training so you have to weigh up what you think is more important and take into account how good the loaning clubs training facilities are.

But to answer your question, rotate them in the first team if they are good enough to play first team football at a rotation level.

Thanks for the answers! And what about individual training? Should I always set and individual training for them or let them develop until it's time to play in the first team?

2 hours ago, bosque said:

Thanks for the answers! And what about individual training? Should I always set and individual training for them or let them develop until it's time to play in the first team?

If they are happy to have the individual focus, keep it through their careers to optimise development.

Hi, not sure if this has been talked about somewhere, but wanted to ask: how (if at all) much do you guys factor in the momentum of a game?

Are you pragmatic and take a win for a win, or are you concerned if you win 2-0 but 'were dominated for most of the game', for example? I see that my team does get pushed back somewhat at some point in most games, but I figure that's just bound to happen in most games - you can't be in control 100% of the time, right?

I'm playing ManU, with a half-back and a RPM before him. No other midfielders, but do have inverted wing backs to help shore up the midfield somewhat: one is on attack, in combination with a W(s) and one on support in combo with an IF(a). It looks a bit like this:

--------AF--DLF(s)
---W(s)---------IF(a)
-----------RPM
------------HB
IWB(a)-CD-CD-IWB(s)

Nothing to crazy in the TI's: everything standard, counter-press, press slightly more and lower LOE. No PIs. It works quite well, but we average possession around 44%, which is fine by me as long as we're winning.

Long story short: should I just take the wins or worry that losing moment 50% of the time means my midfield is still overrun and this will end up causing problems?

On 29/01/2022 at 04:51, bosque said:

It depends on who you are. I'm a lower league manager - my training facilities are next-to non-existent, with a couple of coaches on one-star ability. The ONLY way players can develop is by playing first-team competitive games, so my starting line-ups regularly include 15 and 16 year-olds. If you're managing Chelsea, you probably don't want to do that.

1 hour ago, mikcheck said:

This is stupid and that's why I'm asking this here lol. I never know if I should play normal, wider or narrower width and I'm always changing. How do you guys decide your offensive width? Based on you playing style?

Attacking Width is how wide you move the ball when in possession. A wider approach stretches the field horizontally; a narrower one funnels play through the middle of the pitch. Personally, I have it in the middle because I am playing with Positive & Attacking team mentality which by default is "Fairly Wide". Using 433 DM Wide formation.

8 minutes ago, Novem9 said:

Treq. is attacking duty. I want to know which role is looks like him but in support duty

I've always heard (from the tactics guys around here) that you should interpret the Treq. as being a support duty. I think it's because he'll be more interested in running into channels and creating space than actually attacking?

Could be my factoid is out of date though, this dates back to a couple of years ago.

23 hours ago, Novem9 said:

which of the existing roles would be like trequartista (support) ? In winger position slot

Advanced Playmaker for a more all-rounded creative player, Trequartista for a more 'magician' type of player.

22 hours ago, jens_dewit said:

I've always heard (from the tactics guys around here) that you should interpret the Treq. as being a support duty. I think it's because he'll be more interested in running into channels and creating space than actually attacking?

Could be my factoid is out of date though, this dates back to a couple of years ago.

I still think it works as an attack duty because the player is much more focused on the attacking phase than the defensive phase. even if it is a playmaker role it's inherently attack-minded. Otherwise SI would have changed it to support like they did with Enganche.