Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

19 hours ago, Colorado said:

I've never considered myself to be completely at ease with the tactical side of stuff in FM.  However, I have read and watched lots different things over the years to get a basic knowledge, but does anyone else find themselves in a similar situation to me in that they stop understanding their own team's tactics?

I start at the beginning of the season with a base plan but as the season progresses, my tactics evolve. I'm not the fastest of players but after around 40-50 matches, I feel I've lost touch with why certain aspects work or don't work with my tactical system and I opt for changes that previously helpful me improve without understanding why.

My tactical plan just kind of unravels at this point, and I lose a bit of focus and interest in my save. 

Quickfire answer: Yes, I can see how this happens.

Other answer: Seems worthy of a thread, no? ;)

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 18/08/2021 at 22:21, Colorado said:

I start at the beginning of the season with a base plan but as the season progresses, my tactics evolve. I'm not the fastest of players but after around 40-50 matches, I feel I've lost touch with why certain aspects work or don't work with my tactical system and I opt for changes that previously helpful me improve without understanding why

When this happens to me I take a step back. If the tactic was already working then I know the tactic is not the problem so I look at the team again because I might have lost sight of who my best player was etc. After looking at the attributes in details again I then look into the stats for the season and see if there are certain players I’m overlooking or if there are any that are underperforming.

Finally, I look to see if there is a particular formation I struggle against (that could be the case sometimes).

Once I’ve done all that I come up with a plan (it may include changing maybe one or 2 roles but I never change the tactic completely) and it works for me

A few questions that I would like confirmed or told otherwise...

Training - Position/Role/Duty - This puts the emphasis to train the players highlighted attributes ?

Match Tactics - Tactical Familiarity - This is increased by P/R/D in training and/or can also be increased the more a player plays that role in the team ?

The players Role and Duty stars dont mean anything other than a guide as to what the players best position could be according to his attributes ?

I have a midfield wide player that would also make a good forward. I want to keep playing him as the WM but also in time expect him to take over the striker role when my present striker retires. 

Can I change his Training P/R/D to a forwards role (eg: DLF) and keep him playing as a WM so that his DLF attributes increase and he gains tactical familiarity as a DLF but not have him lose Tactical Familiarity to play as a WM? 

Edited by hehehemann

17 hours ago, eXistenZ said:

is placing shots a good trait for high technique/finishing + decent composure (14)? Or is it more limiting?

In what situations do you want it most?

I don't think it's a good or bad thing for a player like that to be honest, even with lower attributes

1 hour ago, mikcheck said:

Hi.

When you use a IWB, do you pay attention to his preferred foot? Or do you like to play someone with a strong opposite foot?

I honestly don't think it matters all that much, they'll both have different options on the ball. Try it out & see if you like how it plays out 

I've only ever used an IWB once back in FM19, a right IWB who was my usual right footed RB & he scored some absolute bangers popping up & striking across goal  

On 18/08/2021 at 10:26, Johnny Ace said:

Do playmakers gravitate towards the ball? Seen it said that they do a few times but never anything official. Is that what "collect the ball more" means in the hidden instructions?

Anybody know?

40 minutos atrás, Johnny Ace disse:

Anybody know?

I think it is more like the "ball magnet" metaphora. They naturally tend to attract the ball more as their teammates will look for them to organize the play. For me it is what "collect the ball more" means.

18 minutes ago, Tsuru said:

I think it is more like the "ball magnet" metaphora. They naturally tend to attract the ball more as their teammates will look for them to organize the play. For me it is what "collect the ball more" means.

Yeah, that's the focus play part but then I've read they "collect the ball" too as in they'll move towards play looking to be passed to 

On 18/08/2021 at 12:26, Johnny Ace said:

Do playmakers gravitate towards the ball? Seen it said that they do a few times but never anything official. Is that what "collect the ball more" means in the hidden instructions?

On my saves, playmakers don't tend to come closer towards the ball, but they try to be a free passing option centrally. With the help of "ball magnet" hidden attribute and their central positioning, they get more passes than any other.

Getting a scout to improve his knowledge of a particular country. Is there a magic formula? Finding that assigning them to a whole region seems to do nothing or very very little, is it best to do one nation at a time of is there a bit of wiggle room before their ability to improve knowledge is stunted.

Is adaptability the only attribute needed for this? Or does the scouts personality/mental traits make a difference?

Edited by Dotsworthy

How bad is comes deep to get ball on an advanced forward?

I use a dlf-af pairing, but I have this youth player that would be better than an AF. (mediocre vision + passing, but quick), but he has this trait that i hve tried to get rid of twice without succes

En 27/8/2021 a las 19:26, eXistenZ dijo:

How bad is comes deep to get ball on an advanced forward?

I use a dlf-af pairing, but I have this youth player that would be better than an AF. (mediocre vision + passing, but quick), but he has this trait that i hve tried to get rid of twice without succes

My best forward ever had the attributes for an AF, but he came with comes deep to get ball. I needed 3 or 4 tries to get rid of it, so I was able to watch him play many matches before. Like the movement description says, usually he will come deep. This means he will not be always spearing the attack. Sometimes, not always, he will come deep. The heat map and the average position from after and before getting rid of the move, shows this: his average position is not as far away as when he lost the move, but still it's farther away than my DLF(s), and heat map shows a more "centered" hot zone.

All in all, this is not a bad thing per se. If they guy is good (and my striker was bloody awesome), if he comes deep, gets the ball and has the AF role, he may dribble people or make the opposition get back chasing him, wich doesn't need to be a bad thing. Also I saw the guy come deep to get the ball and just dribble to score a goal from down there.

I am having a bloody bad time learning the 442. Any resource to learn its ins and outs, and how to use it effectively?

I know the basics, but I am struggling to use it in different situations like beign under pressure, playing against a low block, etc. I've used other formations to good results (in this situations) because I had options, but 3 flat lines kinda limits my ability to exploit weaknesses or create holes. It's my 30th season using only 442 and I'm starting to feel defeated.

39 minutes ago, w1nstar said:

I am having a bloody bad time learning the 442. Any resource to learn its ins and outs, and how to use it effectively?

I know the basics, but I am struggling to use it in different situations like beign under pressure, playing against a low block, etc. I've used other formations to good results (in this situations) because I had options, but 3 flat lines kinda limits my ability to exploit weaknesses or create holes. It's my 30th season using only 442 and I'm starting to feel defeated.

Start you're own thread on this board @w1nstar :thup:

The 4-4-2's classic & can played in many different ways, don't think of it as 3 flat lines. You can have an FB that gets forward, a winger or two that get forward, a CM that gets forward & one that drops, same for up front 

AF(A)        DLF(S)

W(S)      CM(D)       CM(S)        W(A)

FB(A)    CD(D)        CD(D)        FB(S)

Something as simple as that creates movement between the lines 

56 minutes ago, fraudiola said:

does heading attribute have anything to do with winning an aerial duel?

From Manual:

This is a player’s competence in aerial situations. Heading applies to all situations with the ball in the air and is only about the player’s ability to use their head well. Jumping Reach, Height, and to a lesser extent Strength all play a part in combination with heading to utilise the attribute to greater effect.

5 minutes ago, zabyl said:

Does ambition affect player development? I think it should affect development logically. Are there any experiments or guides for this? 

Ambition, Professionalism and Determination are of equal importance.

1 saat önce, HUNT3R said:

Ambition, Professionalism and Determination are of equal importance.

Thanks. Are there any info in user manual or somewhere else that SI shared? I want to solidify the idea about ambition.

Edited by zabyl

When you would use defenders on Stopper and Cover Duty? Just on a back 3 defence or even when you have only 2 defenders too? That combo would make sense on 2 CB formations without a DM, but I don´t see many players using it...

4 hours ago, Tsuru said:

When you would use defenders on Stopper and Cover Duty? Just on a back 3 defence or even when you have only 2 defenders too? That combo would make sense on 2 CB formations without a DM, but I don´t see many players using it...

You can use that system with two CB's if you like. Logically the faster/more aware player would be the cover role with the more aggressive/stronger player the stopper role. Just don't use offside trap with split CB roles. 

13 hours ago, vangtoiga said:

What would you do when the team is playing with low confidence or falling behind?

Any simple tactical advices to change outcome of the match.

go back to the drawing board and reassess your team then pick players with good determination, workrate etc

When/in which situations would you choose a Wingback on Defend instead of a Fullback on Support, for example? I never really understood well the Wingback on Defend, it seems so strange sometimes...

Edited by Tsuru

5 dakika önce, Tsuru said:

When/in which situations would you choose a Wingback on Defend instead of a Fullback on Support, for example? I never really understood well the Winback on Defend, it seems so strange sometimes...

When I need an early cross from that flank.

6 minutos atrás, zabyl disse:

When I need an early cross from that flank.

Would you say it could also be an option when you have for example a Wide Midfielder or Inverted Winger at the same side and wants someone to overlap sometimes, but just when it it is really safe enough?

29 dakika önce, Tsuru said:

Would you say it could also be an option when you have for example a Wide Midfielder or Inverted Winger at the same side and wants someone to overlap sometimes, but just when it it is really safe enough?

Yes it can be used like that but FBs is a better option for that.

4 minutes ago, Aquaplex said:

IF you manage a big team (Chelsea, Juve, Bayern, etc) is playing narrow detrimental to your attacking or is it simply a way to play through the middle more? 

It's not necessarily detrimental, no. If you are playing a short passing style for example it's actually beneficial to play narrower to give more short passing options. It's important to remember that your Mentality (Level of risk) sets your Playing Width. You don't want to play overly narrower from a more defensive mentality or overly wider from a more attacking mentality as they are already playing narrower/wider by default. 

1 minute ago, YAMS said:

It's not necessarily detrimental, no. If you are playing a short passing style for example it's actually beneficial to play narrower to give more short passing options. It's important to remember that your Mentality (Level of risk) sets your Playing Width. You don't want to play overly narrower from a more defensive mentality or overly wider from a more attacking mentality as they are already playing narrower/wider by default. 

Thank you YAMS.

23 minutes ago, Aquaplex said:

Thank you YAMS.

Hey, you're welcome. Just to add as well a narrower Playing Width and Playing Through the Middle are different things.

Your Playing Width is the initial positions your players will take up in your formation when you have the ball. So if you play with a narrower Playing Width than your Mentality all your players will be closer together.... You can see how this would benefit a shorter passing style. 

Playing Through the Middle instructs your team to target players in the middle during your Approach Play... so your wingers/full backs will be less involved in this attacking transitional phase. Now if you play a narrower Playing Width & Play Through the Middle you will have more central passing options... but this will also make you rather easy to defend against. 

Edited by YAMS

4 minutes ago, tamertunatt said:

FB(S)    CD(St)     CD(De)  FB(su)               

A(D)

W(A)     AP(A)        ?         W(A)

AF(A)

Which midfielder role and duty is suitable for question mark?

That's a lot of attacking duties - what kind of game plan are you going for? Possession based? Counterattacking?

Immediate thought is a simple CM(s) or a BBM.

14 hours ago, eXistenZ said:

whats the best course of action if you have two talented gk's in your U18, who are too young to be loaned out? How do you maximise their growth?

Personally I keep them there until they are 18 then if they are good enough to be backups I'll promote the better on to the first team and loan the other ine out. If both of them are not good enough yet then I'll loan both out

9 hours ago, tamertunatt said:

FB(S)    CD(St)     CD(De)  FB(su)               

A(D)

W(A)     AP(A)        ?         W(A)

AF(A)

Which midfielder role and duty is suitable for question mark?

You need a support role in there, definitely. If you are trying to counter attack then a simple CMS makes sense. Maybe a BWMS as a destroyer. With an Anchorman you can be more adventurous at full back as as well. Possibly make these WBS's. I would also change the right winger to a support role. 

Edited by YAMS

10 hours ago, Johnny Ace said:

I think playing narrower is helpful with pressing too as your players are closer together so it's less space to cover to press an opponent, makes sense in my brain anyway 

It would certainly help a counter press/potential split press system more, yes. Your players would be closer together to initiate a press. 

5 dakika önce, YAMS said:

You need a support role in there, definitely. If you are trying to counter attack then a simply CMS makes sense. Maybe a BWMS as a destroyer. With an Anchorman you can be more adventurous at full back as as well. Possibly make these WBS's. I would also change the right winger to a support role. 

Thank you sir.The press say that we are a relegation zone team.That's way I don't want to give more freedom to fullbacks(bad at mental and technique).Our wingers are good at dribbling and they are rapid.That's way I appointed them Winger(A) role and duty.We have a talented player in midfield.I gave him AP(A) role and duty.

Once again I have appointed some team instructions like Play narrow,much lower tempo,slow pace down,stay on feet,dribble less,be more disciplined.Balanced mentality.When I use 4-1-4-1 tactic.Are these instructions and roles make sense for relegation zone team?

With my best regards.

16 saat önce, eXistenZ said:

whats the best course of action if you have two talented gk's in your U18, who are too young to be loaned out? How do you maximise their growth?

I promote better one to u21 and play him at least 5 first team matches in a season without promoting him to first team. According to my experience I can say this pushes a youngster's development more. I don't loan youngsters which is under 19 years old. Also I don't loan youngsters which has low adaptability. Promoting one to upper team can increase other's development like having more game time on u19 level. After the better one's development gets him a higher level, I choose using him on first team or loaning him out and I repeat this loop for other youngster.

32 minutes ago, tamertunatt said:

Thank you sir.The press say that we are a relegation zone team.That's way I don't want to give more freedom to fullbacks(bad at mental and technique).Our wingers are good at dribbling and they are rapid.That's way I appointed them Winger(A) role and duty.We have a talented player in midfield.I gave him AP(A) role and duty.

Once again I have appointed some team instructions like Play narrow,much lower tempo,slow pace down,stay on feet,dribble less,be more disciplined.Balanced mentality.When I use 4-1-4-1 tactic.Are these instructions and roles make sense for relegation zone team?

With my best regards.

Ok, I really like that you are looking at the player suitability for the role, not enough people do this (myself included...!!). 

Ignore the press, lol, They are just basing this on your team reputation against the rest of the league. You are probably much better than you think you are. 

I'm wary this is supposed to be quick fire so don't want to go in to too much detail. You could raise a separate thread if you like or PM me. 

39 minuti fa, tamertunatt ha scritto:

Sorry to say but most of these TIs are contradictory to your counter-attacking idea.

When in possession, you can't slow everything down and play with much lower tempo, narrow shape and a balanced mentality. That doesn't sound like a counter attack, does it?

You need a positive/attacking mentality to encourage your players to take more risks and play more direct, fast and wide in order to catch your opponents before they can effectively reset their defence.

53 dakika önce, alerosso said:

Sorry to say but most of these TIs are contradictory to your counter-attacking idea.

When in possession, you can't slow everything down and play with much lower tempo, narrow shape and a balanced mentality. That doesn't sound like a counter attack, does it?

You need a positive/attacking mentality to encourage your players to take more risks and play more direct, fast and wide in order to catch your opponents before they can effectively reset their defence.

You are absolutely right sir.As I said we are underdogs.I gave much lower tempo,slow pace down and playing narrow instructions because I don't rely on my players' technique and mental attributes(Expect talented midfielder).Also I want to give less goal chances to opponents.

17 minuti fa, tamertunatt ha scritto:

You are absolutely right sir.As I said we are underdogs.I gave much lower tempo,slow pace down and playing narrow instructions because I don't rely on my players' technique and mental attributes(Expect talented midfielder).Also I want to give less goal chances to opponents.

Yes I got that, what I'm saying is that you will never effectively counter by playing this way. When IRL you see a weaker side play on the counter are they slowing everything down when countering?

You are already set in a difensive bottom-heavy formation and you can solidify your defence even more with the appropriate roles/duties and out of possession instructions. But when in transition/in possession you gotta be much more willing to attack otherwise you will be too passive and never show up in the final third.

Those TIs that you set, as counterintuitive as it may sound, are much more appropriate for a control possession style of play and that's the exact opposite of what you said you wanted to achieve.