Jump to content

Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, eXistenZ said:

He is 22. I never mentored him because he was already a proffesional, and a worldclass player. What I dont understand is why this hidden attribute has changed/decreased. He is my best player and has great ratings this and previous season, including in cup matches and high stake matches (for example, just last two weeks he scored twice against chelsea in the league and made the decider in the fa cup semifinal). Ok he had an average match against real madrid, but so did most people on my team, because it's freaking real madrid....

big mtches.jpg

It really depends what level of Big matches attribute is he though he might just be on the limit of what is regarded as does not enjoy big matches. And consistency is more important than big matches. Some hidden attributes like big matches and consistency will only show up in player reports after a certain age and these attributes can increase/decrease slowly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 15.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, zyfon5 said:

It really depends what level of Big matches attribute is he though he might just be on the limit of what is regarded as does not enjoy big matches. And consistency is more important than big matches. Some hidden attributes like big matches and consistency will only show up in player reports after a certain age and these attributes can increase/decrease slowly.

Yeah i checked the editor and it's 9. I just assumed it was neutral and it suddenly decreased, but it only appearing with age makes sense.

So what is now the consensus? mentoring or improving with age/matches?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, eXistenZ said:

Yeah i checked the editor and it's 9. I just assumed it was neutral and it suddenly decreased, but it only appearing with age makes sense.

So what is now the consensus? mentoring or improving with age/matches?

Consistency can move up to +4 points, with the average in +2. However Big matches will only go +1 / +2 if ever goes up. 9 is not the end of the world. With 10 it wouldn't even show up, so don't worry much.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Couple of questions:

What controls how many youth players you get in your intakes each year? Sometimes I have 10. Sometimes I have 15 or 16. What controls that and can it be edited?

If I send a scout to a new country and then have them leave the country after a few months or a year, how long will the knowledge of that place stay in their memory? I sent a scout to Brazil. They had no knowledge of it. Months later, I sent them to another country and all of the knowledge of Brazil seemed lost.

 

Edited by FM21_Scout
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Oluf Whatever your question was supposed to mean, it cannot be dealt with in this quickfire thread, because questions about tactical issues, tactical styles etc. cannot be answered in a short and simple fashion. Therefore, please start your own topic and you'll get feedback there. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Does the « stay wider » player instruction for a central defender is useful to cover a wing back on the same side as a midfielder on support, in a 4231 with no dm?

Edited by sonnevillejr
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, sonnevillejr said:

Does the « stay wider » player instruction for a central defender is useful to cover a wing back on the same side as a midfielder on support, in a 4231 with no dm?

The "stay wider" instruction has nothing to do with covering a wing-back, so the instruction is neutral in that respect.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gofferson said:

Can someone explain me why my 190+cm defenders can't aerial and my oponents scores a lot of goals with a header even 171 cm striker with 5 aerial.

Shaq supposedly couldn't even dunk at one point despite being a giant, meanwhile, I've seen teenagers at my gym slam dunk at 5'9.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gofferson said:

Can someone explain me why my 190+cm defenders can't aerial and my oponents scores a lot of goals with a header even 171 cm striker with 5 aerial.

Some other things go into winning headers in addition to Heading and Jumping Reach or Height. For example, attributes like Strength and Bravery, and maybe things like Positioning as well?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dereka said:

Some other things go into winning headers in addition to Heading and Jumping Reach or Height. For example, attributes like Strength and Bravery, and maybe things like Positioning as well?

I understand that but my defender who loses the most headers has 14 headers, 16 strength, 15 positioning, 17 jumping so not bad he should win with 170+ striker :D

Link to post
Share on other sites

As confusing as it may seem, the heading attribute isn't actually relevant to winning an aerial challenge. It only comes into play if the challenge is won.

Maybe one or more mental attributes are average/below average (a good amount of them factor in to varying extents).

Maybe the crosses he is losing out on are being whipped in rather than floated?

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, gofferson said:

I understand that but my defender who loses the most headers has 14 headers, 16 strength, 15 positioning, 17 jumping so not bad he should win with 170+ striker :D

What about Bravery?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/06/2021 at 10:21, Experienced Defender said:

The "stay wider" instruction has nothing to do with covering a wing-back, so the instruction is neutral in that respect.

Thank you, in that case perhaps a carrilero is relevant to cover this attacking side?

Edited by sonnevillejr
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, sonnevillejr said:

Thank you, in that case perhaps a carrilero is relevant to cover this attacking side?

Yes, the carrilero is generally a good role for covering an attack-minded fullback or wing-back role. 

Anyway, if you want any further discussion on that, you'll have to start your own separate thread. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can I mimic the Complete forward role with attack duty using another role ex Deep Lying forward (minus get further forward)  then expect more least or the same play for the striker

Something like this, my DLF attack playing like Complete forward minus he rarely get further forward

role.png.b397bb21d04b852b15b90e67efc3f65d.png

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, palmamiguel92 said:

I'm conceding a lot of goals from crosses lately, different saves, different tactics (anyone experiencing this?) How would you avoid this?

Better off starting a new thread. This isn't a quickfire question/answer. It's related to how you've set up and/or your players and team, so best to post as much detail as you can.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, saintrainhard said:

Can I mimic the Complete forward role with attack duty using another role ex Deep Lying forward (minus get further forward)  then expect more least or the same play for the striker

Something like this, my DLF attack playing like Complete forward minus he rarely get further forward

role.png.b397bb21d04b852b15b90e67efc3f65d.png

 

Why do you want to mimic it? You seem to have identified the role you want. If you want the behaviour of a complete forward on attack, use the player as one? We have different roles because they give us different behaviours.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

Why do you want to mimic it? You seem to have identified the role you want. If you want the behaviour of a complete forward on attack, use the player as one? We have different roles because they give us different behaviours.

Sometimes is so hard to find or to retrain a complete forward, especially in LLM

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, saintrainhard said:

Sometimes is so hard to find or to retrain a complete forward, especially in LLM

You're trying to ask a player to do the exact same thing, so surely there's no difference in just playing them as the complete forward you want anyway? Look at the attributes as it seems you're focused on something else.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HUNT3R said:

You're trying to ask a player to do the exact same thing, so surely there's no difference in just playing them as the complete forward you want anyway? Look at the attributes as it seems you're focused on something else.

If I use complete forward the role is gone bright red, but if I use the player role (Advanced forward) , I can mimic the Complete forward role only losing the hold up ball instruction

And for my DLF (backup ST), only losing the get further forward instruction . Every instruction is exactly the same 

Or I just use the Complete forward role anyway? because when I use that my main striker is still playing great tough and already scoring 32  goals in 35 match

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, saintrainhard said:

If I use complete forward the role is gone bright red, but if I use the player role (Advanced forward) , I can mimic the Complete forward role only losing the hold up ball instruction

And for my DLF (backup ST), only losing the get further forward instruction . Every instruction is exactly the same 

Or I just use the Complete forward role anyway? because when I use that my main striker is still playing great tough and already scoring 32  goals in 35 match

Like I said, focus on the attributes. You're shying away from the role just because of an indicator, but trying to still mimic the role, so he's clearly good enough. 

You don't give much information, but it might be that he has a CA that's lower than the threshold to be 'suitable' to be rated as a complete forward. Do not focus on it if the attributes are good enough for the player to play in the role, regardless of any role 'suitability' indicator.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@saintrainhard This is a quickfire thread, which means it is intended only for short simple questions that can be answered by equally short and simple answers. Only your first question was appropriate to the purpose of  this thread, and you got the answer. But the questions you kept asking after that - the last of which I had to remove - do not belong to this thread.

Therefore, if you want any further discussion, you'll have to start your own separate thread.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember from the days of the tactical sliders that playing someone in the DM strata would lower the defensive line by a few notches (e.g., in a 4-1-4-1 instead of a 4-4-1-1). Does anything similar to this still happen on the recent MEs? I think it had to do with the spacing between the lines.

Edited by Prolix
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Prolix said:

I remember from the days of the tactical sliders that playing someone in the DM strata would lower the defensive line by a few notches (e.g., in a 4-1-4-1 instead of a 4-4-1-1). Does anything similar to this still happen on the recent MEs? I think it had to do with the spacing between the lines.

Yes, the use of a DM still makes the line of defense slightly deeper than without a DM. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, fraudiola said:

do LM/RM wingers on attack duty contribute and/or drop back the same defensively as a WM on attack? 

No. WM is more defensively responsible as a role than winger. 

That's a short and simple answer to your question. For any further or more detailed discussion, please start your own separate thread :thup:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello,

consider my tactical knowledge very low as I am new to the game and new to football in general (I come from a basketball background). I have a quick question regarding defense/support/attack duties. Am I right to assume that when putting someone on a defense duty (in whatever role really) he'll play considerably defensive minded while on attacking he'd be more inclined to move forward and not prioritize his defensive duties? With support being something in the middle? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Would a defensive mentality tactic with lots of attack duty roles play pretty much the same as a standard mentality tactic with lots of support roles? Given that all player mentalities are the same

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DIESEL.be said:

Hello,

consider my tactical knowledge very low as I am new to the game and new to football in general (I come from a basketball background). I have a quick question regarding defense/support/attack duties. Am I right to assume that when putting someone on a defense duty (in whatever role really) he'll play considerably defensive minded while on attacking he'd be more inclined to move forward and not prioritize his defensive duties? With support being something in the middle? 

Basically, yes, but read every role, they had their own behaviour and it tells you when hovering in the options.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jack722 said:

Would a defensive mentality tactic with lots of attack duty roles play pretty much the same as a standard mentality tactic with lots of support roles? Given that all player mentalities are the same

I would guess probably not considering that team mentality is an important component that affects all your other team instructions. And some roles the attack duty and support duty can be very different.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Sharkn20 said:

Basically, yes, but read every role, they had their own behaviour and it tells you when hovering in the options.

Yes, I've done that and it's very interesting which combinations/pairings you can come up with. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, DIESEL.be said:

Yes, I've done that and it's very interesting which combinations/pairings you can come up with. Just started a Venezia save and am currently in the process of creating 3 tactics. 1 default, 1 more attacking and 1 more conservative. I'm actually really curious how it'll play out. Down the line I want to build an all Italian squad but that's after I get the basics down haha

If you want to discuss your tactic, you'll have to start your own separate thread. Because this one is solely for very short and simple questions that can be answered by equally short and simple answers. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Experienced Defender said:

If you want to discuss your tactic, you'll have to start your own separate thread. Because this one is solely for very short and simple questions that can be answered by equally short and simple answers. 

I guessed as much and I will create my own thread if I need the help, I only replied to the person who responded to me. Nothing more, nothing less

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, yourih3 said:

In what occasion would you use the TI dribble less?

If you dont want your players to be involved into direct confrontation with other players, especially if you are in numerical disadvantage. For example, it doesnt make sense for your team to dribble in central areas, if the other team is protecting that space with lets say 4 players.

Edited by CARRERA
Link to post
Share on other sites

If I play a 5 3 2 formation with wing backs in the wing back position and no other wide players will the TI of exploit the wings have any effect? I'm wondering if it would encourage the three midfielders and two attackers to play a little wider thus making the middle of the pitch a little less congested.

Edited by Hovis Dexter
corrected typos
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Hovis Dexter said:

If I play a 5 3 2 formation with wing backs in the wing back position and no other wide players will the TI of exploit the wings have any effect? I'm wondering if it would encourage the three midfielders and two attackers to play a little wider thus making the middle of the pitch a little less congested.

Yes, it should encourage central players to support play on the wings.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yourih3 said:

In what occasion would you use the TI dribble less?

I would prefer to use it against top sides when i manage an underdog side for overcoming their high press or counter-press more comfortable with less risks while bringing the ball out of own half.

I also use it when i adapt a fast paced attacking style with mid-block.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm managing a national team. My scouts provide me with an opposition report, however enemy player stats are blank. I can't effectively deploy any OI's. Also, I can't send scouts to spy them - the only option is to scout club teams. What do I do?

Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Determination is the key mental and development attribute regardless of position. True or false?
2. It makes no sense to play direct passing along with higher defensive line, as there's no space up front to exploit with these direct passes. True or false?
3. A manager should avoid players with such mental traits as: inconsistency, injury proneness and fear of big games in a long term. True or false?
4. If a stopper plays next to a covering defender, the core line is inevitably broken. It's safer to use defend/defend, defend/stopper or defend/cover combinations. True or false?
5. When playing a narrow (wingerless) formation, the attacking width is narrow by default. With the "attacking width narrower" instruction selected, it actually gets even more narrower, going straight to the "level 2" instead of "level 1", as indicated by the GUI. True or false?
6. A covering defender or a sweeper keeper. True or false?
7. A low league team with low passing stats (6, 7, 8) is too awful to deploy any other passing style than short. True or false?
8. My 3-4-1-2 is stronger in the middle against the enemy's 4-4-2 (5 vs 4). I pick narrower attacking width to hit them where it hurts the most. True or false?
9. Or actually - I don't, as my attacking width is narrow by default. I just leave it on default to hit them there anyway. True or false?
10. "Use tighter marking" is an offensive instruction, not defensive. True or false?
11. It makes no sense to play a DM with three CB's. True or false?
12. It makes no sense to play a libero with a DLP. True or false?
13. Positional ability's effect on performance is marginal. If the attributes match, you can play any player wherever on the pitch. True or false?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, goalash said:

1. Determination is the key mental and development attribute regardless of position. True or false?
2. It makes no sense to play direct passing along with higher defensive line, as there's no space up front to exploit with these direct passes. True or false?
3. A manager should avoid players with such mental traits as: inconsistency, injury proneness and fear of big games in a long term. True or false?
4. If a stopper plays next to a covering defender, the core line is inevitably broken. It's safer to use defend/defend, defend/stopper or defend/cover combinations. True or false?
5. When playing a narrow (wingerless) formation, the attacking width is narrow by default. With the "attacking width narrower" instruction selected, it actually gets even more narrower, going straight to the "level 2" instead of "level 1", as indicated by the GUI. True or false?
6. A covering defender or a sweeper keeper. True or false?
7. A low league team with low passing stats (6, 7, 8) is too awful to deploy any other passing style than short. True or false?
8. My 3-4-1-2 is stronger in the middle against the enemy's 4-4-2 (5 vs 4). I pick narrower attacking width to hit them where it hurts the most. True or false?
9. Or actually - I don't, as my attacking width is narrow by default. I just leave it on default to hit them there anyway. True or false?
10. "Use tighter marking" is an offensive instruction, not defensive. True or false?
11. It makes no sense to play a DM with three CB's. True or false?
12. It makes no sense to play a libero with a DLP. True or false?
13. Positional ability's effect on performance is marginal. If the attributes match, you can play any player wherever on the pitch. True or false?

1. False.  Determination, Ambition and Professionalism are all equal when it comes to development.

2. False.  It depends on your set up.

3. False.  A player with most or all "negative" attributes is usually avoided but not necessarily players with just one or two.

4. False.  It might be an unusual combination but it can work.

5. True - of course it gets narrower if you select the instruction.

6. Is not a true or false question and you can play with both depending on your set up.

7. False.  Many LLM managers will play the long ball game.

8. Depends on your set up.

9. See above.

10. False.  You don't mark players when you are attacking.

11. False.  Ever see Pirlo play for Juventus?

12. It's usually inadvisable to use a playmaker with a Libero, so mostly True although it can work.

13. True.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Width related questions. I hope I'm not talking nonsense ..

Lets consider formation F1: 4-4-2 and formation F2: 5-3-2  , both with Balanced Mentality and no other TI or PI instructions for the sake of the argument.

Q1. Is F1 width equal to F2 width in game? Intuitively I would say FALSE but I would like to make sure. :) 

Q2. Is the width of the formation relative to the width of the pitch ?  More precise : Is a wider pitch stretching the formation creating gaps between players - so the width of formation is relative to the pitch - OR the distance between players remains the same and there is more space on the flanks  - so the width of the formation is fixed ? Again no TI or PI instructions. 

Q3. Does the GUI width slider is an absolute number or relative to formation width ? if Q1 is False and GUI slider is formation relative then a standard width for F1 is different from F2 standard width - seems logical. If the slider is an absolute number then Q1 kind of needs to be TRUE - and then F2 creates more density in the same width, instead of covering more width. 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BuzzR said:

Width related questions. I hope I'm not talking nonsense ..

Lets consider formation F1: 4-4-2 and formation F2: 5-3-2  , both with Balanced Mentality and no other TI or PI instructions for the sake of the argument.

Q1. Is F1 width equal to F2 width in game? Intuitively I would say FALSE but I would like to make sure. :) 

Q2. Is the width of the formation relative to the width of the pitch ?  More precise : Is a wider pitch stretching the formation creating gaps between players - so the width of formation is relative to the pitch - OR the distance between players remains the same and there is more space on the flanks  - so the width of the formation is fixed ? Again no TI or PI instructions. 

Q3. Does the GUI width slider is an absolute number or relative to formation width ? if Q1 is False and GUI slider is formation relative then a standard width for F1 is different from F2 standard width - seems logical. If the slider is an absolute number then Q1 kind of needs to be TRUE - and then F2 creates more density in the same width, instead of covering more width. 

 

 

 

Those are very detailed questions, unfortunately, the only people who can answer that question in detail are the devs.

All things being equal your pitch size is defined by you at the beginning of the season. The dimensions are up to you, and it depends on which country you play in. IN some countries the width sizes can be quite strange, some almost square looking, which imply these pitches aren't very deep. So here width becomes a function of the actual width of the pitch. When you set your formation to maximum width settings you are telling your players to stand as far apart as possible from each other using the full width of the pitch. And that in turns encourages your players to look towards the width for passing options. Teams will more likely play the ball out.

 

Now whether your players stay on the touchline also depends on the roles you use. Some roles hug the lines or can do that with traits. Other roles may sit narrow in the transition like wide midfielders. Others could start out wide  and then come in. Then you have roles that run at tiers, these roles could run through tiers and bring their team up or across a pitch. 

Ultimately the width of the formation will be influenced to the width of the pitch and your choice of width settings. Finally its also influenced by the roles and duties you have chosen. Only the devs can tell you if there is an actual value.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Do the Carrilero help on the flanks on the defensive phase like he does on the attacking one, or on a defensive phase he acts more like a CM on Support?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there anyway to divide the player search list and scouted search list to 50 players ?

Maybe to put an line between every 50 players list, so it is easier to scouting

If no, could it be a new feature in next FM?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...