Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

1 minute ago, herne79 said:

The option for a friendly isn't always there but if your season has rolled over you should see it.

I'm into the season now - played 2 lost 2. Just checking schedule > friendly and the venue choices are just home and away. The 'type' box which I've never opened before has 'tour' so it might be there. I'll know for next time anyway, thanks.

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, phnompenhandy said:

I'm into the season now - played 2 lost 2. Just checking schedule > friendly and the venue choices are just home and away. The 'type' box which I've never opened before has 'tour' so it might be there. I'll know for next time anyway, thanks.

Never done one of these youth challenges before, I really should :D.

What would you guys say, out of all support roles for strikers, which one is the most inclined to be a finishing player in the last third (=spearhead to reach a cross and contesting the opposition CB)?

1 hour ago, karenin said:

What would you guys say, out of all support roles for strikers, which one is the most inclined to be a finishing player in the last third (=spearhead to reach a cross and contesting the opposition CB)?

Complete forward. 

For any further discussion, please start your own separate thread. 

16 minutes ago, rossenori said:
  1. tail end of the season, every games hard as hell. does it just mean other teams have caught up to my tactics and countering it?
  2. if so does it mean they'll continue to do so next season from the get go if i use the same tactic? 

1. Other teams don't learn your tactics.  They may adapt their approach to you based on your performance in the league or even during each match, but that is not the same thing as understanding your tactic and countering it.

2. See above.

43 minutes ago, rossenori said:
  1. tail end of the season, every games hard as hell.

Could also be pressure getting to your players, especially if you're competing for trophies or trying to avoid relegation. That's when team talks and press conferences can make a difference.

The higher the player's Pressure hidden attribute, the more likely he is to handle those kind of situations better.

Some Personalities with good Pressure:

• Model Citizen
  • Spirited
  • Iron Willed
  • Resilient
  • Jovial
  • Light Hearted

To me it seems likely that the biggest factor would be other teams reaching a higher level of tactical familiarity and fitness as the season progresses.

8 hours ago, Prolix said:

To me it seems likely that the biggest factor would be other teams reaching a higher level of tactical familiarity and fitness as the season progresses.

I was going to mention fitness, but the other way round. It's common in my teams to tail off at the end and I put it down to increasing jadedness. In real life you see it in Bielsa's teams although he's cracked it this season. This is where getting pre-season right gets to be so important. By the end of the season you've forgotten about it, but getting the players to the right fitness level doesn't show its effects until much later on. With my lower league teams who can't be as fit as top pros, there are 2 periods when we dip: Nov-Dec up to the Xmas period, and end of season. So I factor in extensive rest periods, like a full week off training and weekly Team Bonding and further rest slots. Once I get a Sports Scientist I pay close attention to advice on who needs a rest. That way we keep strong til the end.

44 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

I was going to mention fitness, but the other way round. It's common in my teams to tail off at the end and I put it down to increasing jadedness. In real life you see it in Bielsa's teams although he's cracked it this season. This is where getting pre-season right gets to be so important. By the end of the season you've forgotten about it, but getting the players to the right fitness level doesn't show its effects until much later on. With my lower league teams who can't be as fit as top pros, there are 2 periods when we dip: Nov-Dec up to the Xmas period, and end of season. So I factor in extensive rest periods, like a full week off training and weekly Team Bonding and further rest slots. Once I get a Sports Scientist I pay close attention to advice on who needs a rest. That way we keep strong til the end.

To add to this, factors that contribute to sustained performance:

1. Proper Preseason with Endurance and Physical sessions
2. Squad Rotation - Younger players shouldn't be asked to play 90 minutes twice a week or sometimes even once a week. You should monitor their fitness levels, otherwise they get jaded too quickly.  
3. Injuries - players coming back from injuries should be cotton balled into games, ideally do some rehabilitation work before they resume full training
4. Individual player performances - players will usually tail off, you can tell by looking at their training chart. If the CA trends downwards its usually an indication of something and should be addressed. This is where player interactions are helpful. They give a short boost to morale this can help during periods of fixture congestion. Alternatively this also rolls back into point 2. 
5. Morale and complacency - During the winter periods, I tend to pay more attention to how we are performing in terms of numbers. I will admonish players who perform poorly and bench them. It gets very hard in saves like my Kasimpasa Challenge save where my squad has no depth to speak off, and even then I need to rotate aggressively. And that hits my results as I end up depending on 20 year olds who aren't good enough to play to shoulder the responsibility of senior players needing a rest.

I normally do a stream where I focus exclusively on training and hopefully I don't get too many saves to look at, but I find that understanding rotation, load and your tactical intensity actually help keep a squad performing optimally the whole season.  You can always pop in ask me to take a look at your save or just ask a question and I will try and help answer your questions.

Does be more expressive activate roaming for all my players that aren't on "hold position" or should I still activate the roam PI for those I want to roam? 

24 minutes ago, Spartak Trigger said:

Doesn't matter what a players preferred foot is if the play wide midfielder?

Depends on what you want/expect from the player, regardless of his position or role. 

9 minutes ago, Ripamon said:

Does be more expressive activate roaming for all my players that aren't on "hold position" or should I still activate the roam PI for those I want to roam? 

BME encourages more freedom of both movement (roaming) and creativity, primarily in the final third. 

If you only want a specific player or couple of them to roam, then you can use the roam PI instead of the BME TI.

Posted (edited)

Has anyone tried in fm 21 how the AI reacts to keeping more players upfront than the AI is leaving back naturally? Like for example against an offensive minded 4231 with attacking full backs where basically only two central defenders are truly staying back. If you were to use 3x AF with the outer ones having stay wider, would you effectively be counter attacking 3v2 or is the AI smart enough to change some roles to combat this?

Edited by Puluzu
35 minutes ago, Puluzu said:

Has anyone tried in fm 21 how the AI reacts to keeping more players upfront than the AI is leaving back naturally? Like for example against an offensive minded 4231 with attacking full backs where basically only two central defenders are truly staying back. If you were to use 3x AF with the outer ones having stay wider, would you effectively be counter attacking 3v2 or is the AI smart enough to change some roles to combat this?

The best (and possibly only) way to find out is to try it yourself and see.

3 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

The best (and possibly only) way to find out is to try it yourself and see.

I will, but in my save I only have one game left in the season and it's against a weak side so I will have to wait a bit, my offseasons always take a long ass time so thought I'd ask here first. Maybe I'll try to arrange a friendly before the end of season break starts if I can.

I haven't bought FM 2021 yet, are chances created from central play increased in comparison to 2020? I can't seem to score from anything but crosses in this version

4 minutes ago, koimes said:

I haven't bought FM 2021 yet, are chances created from central play increased in comparison to 2020? I can't seem to score from anything but crosses in this version

Central play is definitely improved compared to FM 20. Maybe @XaW can bless you with one of his glorious GIFs:D

Anyway, there's a free Demo available, so you can see for yourself.

14 minutes ago, Zemahh said:

Central play is definitely improved compared to FM 20. Maybe @XaW can bless you with one of his glorious GIFs:D

Anyway, there's a free Demo available, so you can see for yourself.

Indeed I can, they are quite big, because I can't be bothered by compressing them, so allow for some loading if you are on a slow line.

Just had this lovely move. Did have to score on the rebound, but still a good example of central play.

kWZjihf.gif

But this other goal was so much better. The opponent were sitting back a bit, so this was very satisfying to have.

wy9w5h4.gif

It's all about creating movement between the lines! :D

1 hour ago, koimes said:

ME is much better, has plenty bugs yet to address though, but all in all FM21 is a superior game IMHO

50 minutes ago, fraudiola said:

can i set a default set of OIs so i dont have to set it before every game? 

You can set them on Tactics -> Opposition Instructions screen, but you will still have to activate them before every game.

Selecting all positions with CTRL + A and clicking the OI button is the fastest way.

1 hour ago, Zemahh said:

You can set them on Tactics -> Opposition Instructions screen, but you will still have to activate them before every game.

Selecting all positions with CTRL + A and clicking the OI button is the fastest way.

i don't understand. i'm on the OI screen, what's the OI button? 

1 hour ago, fraudiola said:

i don't understand. i'm on the OI screen, what's the OI button? 

azfG06u.jpg

This is the button you have to click before every game, if you want your positional OIs to apply.

A player that have 2-3 stars in role familiarity.

It's better to train him in that position or playing him in that position is enough to have more familiarity ?

Does "Play for Set Pieces" also apply to penalties?
Trying risky dribbles in the opposition's box purely hoping to grab a dubious penalty is (quite sadly, actually) one of Italian football's key aspects, and I'd like to know if I can recreate that at least to some extent.
Also, what influences a player to dive? Are there player traits, or specific attributes taken into consideration?

47 minutes ago, stopazricky said:

Does "Play for Set Pieces" also apply to penalties?

It should, but not 100% sure. 

47 minutes ago, stopazricky said:

Trying risky dribbles in the opposition's box purely hoping to grab a dubious penalty is (quite sadly, actually) one of Italian football's key aspects, and I'd like to know if I can recreate that at least to some extent. Also, what influences a player to dive? Are there player traits, or specific attributes taken into consideration?

I fear that you are asking too much of a video game (even such a great one as FM). 

On 17/05/2021 at 15:01, who_is_it said:

A player that have 2-3 stars in role familiarity.

It's better to train him in that position or playing him in that position is enough to have more familiarity ?

You have to train him in position and role, to make him more familiar in your tactical setup.

8 hours ago, stopazricky said:

Also, what influences a player to dive? Are there player traits, or specific attributes taken into consideration?

The hidden attribute of 'Sportsmanship'. The lower, the cheatier.

9 hours ago, stopazricky said:

To add to the above, maybe Aggression as well.

Manual description:

This reflects a player’s attitude in terms of playing mentality, but is not necessarily a dirtiness indicator. A more aggressive player looks to involve himself in every incident, press more often, tackle harder, foul more often, and engage in the ‘darker arts’ of football such as dissent towards officials and foul play.

Whether all these events have their own animations is another question though, you won't see players diving all over the place regardless of their attributes.

Does the attacking mentality mean players will make more runs in behind? Feels that way but can't tell if its just a placebo!

14 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

I fear that you are asking too much of a video game (even such a great one as FM). 

Maybe in a few years the tacticts system will get overhauled again and we'll get even more control over stuff like that. A man can dream lol

Thanks for the reply :)

1 hour ago, fraudiola said:

with distribute to CBs selected, would the GK prioritize passing to the regular CB instead of NCB? 

No, he will distribute to whichever CB he sees fit.

If you want him to distribute to one specific player, click on Distribute To Position and select him.

27mAsIl.jpeg

What is it exactly that determines whether your youth player trains on a Youth schedule or with the First Team squad? Is it being in the U18 squad, or is it having a Youth contract?

2 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

What is it exactly that determines whether your youth player trains on a Youth schedule or with the First Team squad? Is it being in the U18 squad, or is it having a Youth contract?

its the squad, if you go to your first teams training groups, you can assign youth players to train with your first squad

3 minutes ago, CARRERA said:

its the squad, if you go to your first teams training groups, you can assign youth players to train with your first squad

Okay, that's good. I want the opposite, actually. Give them full-time contracts to keep the wolves at bay, but have them on youth training schedules.

15 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

Okay, that's good. I want the opposite, actually. Give them full-time contracts to keep the wolves at bay, but have them on youth training schedules.

yep, you can send them to the youth team to train with them. however im not quite sure if the quality of players they train with have an effect on training efficiency. So be careful if you send players who are very close to your first team into the youth devision for training

5 minutes ago, CARRERA said:

yep, you can send them to the youth team to train with them. however im not quite sure if the quality of players they train with have an effect on training efficiency. So be careful if you send players who are very close to your first team into the youth devision for training

These are the promising 15 and 16 year-olds from my latest youth intake. They could fill in for injuries in the U23 matches but not near the first team.

6 hours ago, Kuchiki said:

Can you influence players to make more interceptions, if so how? 

Provided that your players are good enough defensively, you can force interceptions with increasing your pressing urgency/counter-pressing. To intercept the ball, you're essentially looking to force opposition into a mistake.

8 hours ago, Kuchiki said:

Can you influence players to make more interceptions, if so how? 

Improve a players footballing intelligence when it comes to defending, attributes like anticipation, positioning.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Kuchiki said:

Yes

As it was mentioned already, good player attributes come in handy here, especially positioning and anticipation. 

In terms of TI‘s you can lower your pressing intensity, to instruct your players to focus on staying in their defensive position to mark players and shut down passing lanes as a result.

if you want to remain a more aggressive approach, tight marking will help your Player to chellenge the opposition by either intercepting the pass or being early with a tackle. 

Edited by CARRERA
Posted (edited)

Ive got my first good youth intake in ages (4 players with 3 stars potential or more), but 2 of them have bad personalities.

Do i put all 4 of them in the first team for mentoring, or only the ones with bad personalities?

Also, Ive once heard thats its better to train traits at a young age cause it takes less time? is this correct?

Edited by eXistenZ
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, eXistenZ said:

Do i put all 4 of them in the first team for mentoring, or only the ones with bad personalities?

I wouldn't rush the mentoring, unless they're good enough to actually get some playing time. If they're going to be in the first team, they're likely to miss out on a lot of training due to more matches and rest days and since training takes precedence before the age of 18, that could stifle their development quite a bit. You can always mentor them once they turn 18 and playing time becomes more important, at which point they should either make the bench or get loaned out anyway.

You can teach them traits immediately though, it's correct younger players usually have an easier time learning them.

Edited by Zemahh