Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

3 hours ago, sonnevillejr said:

Is the « work ball into box » instruction relevant in a tactic based on quick transitions? I have a PF(a), AP(s) and 2 IW(A) and sometimes against deeper defenses, they tend to shot on the defenders when it’s not useful, and in the end I have a high number of shots but not all of them are dangerous 

More like it slows down a transition. That's not to say it won't work in your situation although I'd be looking at increasing creativity and lowering tempo.

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys, I have a quick tactical question if I may. I understand (correct me if I'm wrong) that if you are overachieving with a team then the opposition picks up on this and sets up more defensively. I've heard rumours that this change happens in the half way point of each season - is this correct?

I am currently flying high with a team predicted  18th in the season preview but currently 3rd and I'm worried that when the half way point comes I may need to look at changing my tactics. 

Appreciate any help.

34 minutes ago, doublecheers said:

Hi guys, I have a quick tactical question if I may. I understand (correct me if I'm wrong) that if you are overachieving with a team then the opposition picks up on this and sets up more defensively. I've heard rumours that this change happens in the half way point of each season - is this correct?

I am currently flying high with a team predicted  18th in the season preview but currently 3rd and I'm worried that when the half way point comes I may need to look at changing my tactics. 

Appreciate any help.

Kind of, but it's not as precise as that. The AI looks at your bookies' odds at the start of the season - if you're expected to be relegated, opponents will bear that in mind. Once those odds are revised due to you doing better than the bookies expected, that new information is taken on board.

That doesn't automatically mean the opposition change their playing style though. For example, I got to the Premier League and have so far survived two seasons whilst being expected to be relegated. When I play Newcastle, they are ultra-cautious no matter what my status is. They soak up pressure and hit you on the break. The Big 6 initially came at me and battered me 4 or 5 nil in the first season, now in the third when I'm expected to be midtable they are less cavalier and beat me 2-0 or 2-1. However, whether that's due to causation or correlation, i.e. whether that's because of me or because they have a new manager or a new player is hard to judge.

So there's no hard-and-fast rule here. All you can be sure of is setting up a tactic in pre-season and never altering it is probably a big mistake. You need to be vigilant and ready to tweak your tactics at any time.

5 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

Kind of, but it's not as precise as that. The AI looks at your bookies' odds at the start of the season - if you're expected to be relegated, opponents will bear that in mind. Once those odds are revised due to you doing better than the bookies expected, that new information is taken on board.

That doesn't automatically mean the opposition change their playing style though. For example, I got to the Premier League and have so far survived two seasons whilst being expected to be relegated. When I play Newcastle, they are ultra-cautious no matter what my status is. They soak up pressure and hit you on the break. The Big 6 initially came at me and battered me 4 or 5 nil in the first season, now in the third when I'm expected to be midtable they are less cavalier and beat me 2-0 or 2-1. However, whether that's due to causation or correlation, i.e. whether that's because of me or because they have a new manager or a new player is hard to judge.

So there's no hard-and-fast rule here. All you can be sure of is setting up a tactic in pre-season and never altering it is probably a big mistake. You need to be vigilant and ready to tweak your tactics at any time.

Thanks for the response that is really helpful. Do you know when the bookies odds change? Or again is there no set rule for this?

I tend to keep the same tactic but have making changes in a match based on what I am seeing. I have been finding the last few games that teams are not falling so my counter attacking tactics anymore.

3 minutes ago, doublecheers said:

Thanks for the response that is really helpful. Do you know when the bookies odds change? Or again is there no set rule for this?

I tend to keep the same tactic but have making changes in a match based on what I am seeing. I have been finding the last few games that teams are not falling so my counter attacking tactics anymore.

I play the game thinking in terms of tactical realism, not trying to game the system like working out the day the odds change. They might continually be adjusted - I don't know for sure. Do what you're doings - observing and noticing subtle changes in the opposition and work out what subtle changes to make yourself. At these times I tend to play a match in the full 90 minutes so that I can catch as much as I can. It also allows me to make one change for 20 minutes, eg tempo one notch or a player duty, and see if it works.

It is partly based on your club reputation, which grows very slow, so I probably wouldn't expect a major shift in the way teams approach you in this particular scenario. 

38 minutes ago, NotSoSpecialOne said:

It is partly based on your club reputation, which grows very slow, so I probably wouldn't expect a major shift in the way teams approach you in this particular scenario. 

Right. The bookies' go off your reputation. You can't directly know your reputation, but you can know your bookies' odds - very useful in comparing with rivals and knowing the right angle to take in team meetings.

The reason I asked is because I have been flying with a counter attacking tactic, then come December, teams have started to get results over me. This makes me think they have all shifted their mindset and changed the way they play against me compared to the first game in the season.

15 minutes ago, doublecheers said:

The reason I asked is because I have been flying with a counter attacking tactic, then come December, teams have started to get results over me. This makes me think they have all shifted their mindset and changed the way they play against me compared to the first game in the season.

Yes, very plausible. They've all played you once and gotten wise. But you can only tell how and how much they've altered their approaches by watching the matches.

Wait for the experts like ED and Rashidi to come along. Myself, I find the heatmaps in analysis useful, looking at the D-line and whether they target the wings, that sort of thing. But ingame, I'm looking at that and the nature of their attacks, also if they're negating my playmaker with tight marking, something that they won't bother with if they don't rate you.

10 minutes ago, sonnevillejr said:

And last question, is there a difference between a AP(s) and a AM(s) with the same player instructions?

There is a bit, yeh. I often switch between those 2 roles for my AMC depending on the opposition. AP has 2 fixed instructions - take more risks and shoot less often whereas the AM has none. The AP is of course a playmaker, meaning your players will try to give him the ball more than the AM. You really need to be watching the game to see if he's got space to pick out passes, if his riskier passes are coming off, or whether he's passing up good opportunities to shoot outside the area than he might take as AM. I'm more likely to go with AP if the oppo are defending deep and in mass, but it depends on the situation and he can switch from AMs to APs in-game.

2 hours ago, sonnevillejr said:

is there a difference between a AP(s) and a AM(s) with the same player instructions?

Yes, the AP is a playmaker role and hence a ball-magnet. The AM is not a playmaker and therefore is not a ball-magnet. That's the key difference.

Does the match preparation - teamwork training still only boost team cohesion for the upcoming match or will it help with team cohesion overall?

2 minutes ago, Kuchiki said:

Does the match preparation - teamwork training still only boost team cohesion for the upcoming match or will it help with team cohesion overall?

The schedule shows you that it affects teamwork for the upcoming match and team cohesion overall, while also training the attribute 'teamwork'. Have a look at it in-game.

So I've 6 people wanting more technical-attacking training. I looked it up and it's either:

a. I need to put more people onto the technical attacking training

or

b. I need better technical-attacking coaches.

Correct?

I've now applied myself to the training so it's saying 'light' now, so which is good. Its currently 4 stars so it might be I need to look for 5 star coach.

Thank you!

1 hour ago, RinusFM said:

So I've 6 people wanting more technical-attacking training. I looked it up and it's either:

a. I need to put more people onto the technical attacking training

or

b. I need better technical-attacking coaches.

Correct?

I've now applied myself to the training so it's saying 'light' now, so which is good. Its currently 4 stars so it might be I need to look for 5 star coach.

Thank you!

B would normally be presented as "Unhappy with the QUALITY of the attacking coaching"  - This is what I got when I was releasing\hiring coaches, and temporarily had a 1 star Training rating. That was fixed hiring better coaches for that area.

A - Maybe, but not as likely, just depending on the player - for example, it's unlikely to be a defender saying this, and it makes sense to put Midfilders\attackers and maybe attacking full-backs into there - dependant on their attributes\requirements and how that fits into your tactical sytle, of course.

Missing answer C would be my go-to on this - I'd look at the SESSIONS that they have and see if there is any that focus on attacking\technical. This does not mean you need to add the attacking training sessions only. There are General sessions that train this, and Techinical sessions, and others that train this.

There's no role familiarity, only position familiarity. So does it matter which tactic you select for your youth team beyond a shape?

I've seen people complain that you can't pick a specific tactic for your youth side, only pick a generic shape or the currently selected tactic for the senior team. If you rotate between a couple tactics depending on the opposition, this is a constant headache if you micromanage your youth side. 

But now I'm wondering if it makes any difference which tactic the youth use in matches as long as players get position familiarity in the position you want them to play. 

4 hours ago, davenumber40 said:

There's no role familiarity, only position familiarity. So does it matter which tactic you select for your youth team beyond a shape?

I've seen people complain that you can't pick a specific tactic for your youth side, only pick a generic shape or the currently selected tactic for the senior team. If you rotate between a couple tactics depending on the opposition, this is a constant headache if you micromanage your youth side. 

But now I'm wondering if it makes any difference which tactic the youth use in matches as long as players get position familiarity in the position you want them to play. 

I'm not sure about that. I use an inverted wingback in the FBR position. My academy intake kid in my U18 squad trains and plays as such and is developing very nicely as an IWB rather than simply as a fullback. It may well be that it's the training rather than the playing that is the main factor there.

On the other hand, I've had forwards from my intake who are naturally target men, which I don't use in my tactics. After three years they are decent at the roles my first team strikers use, but are still judged to be best as target men.

5 hours ago, davenumber40 said:

Depends on how much you micromanage your youth team. Do you manage both the general training schedule and their individual training? I have a hunch that a staff member responsible for setting up general training will try to include some sessions in the schedule based on your perceived style. So if you're hands off in that department it could make a difference on what tactic is used. Not sure what influences a staff members' decision with setting individual training but I wouldn't be surprised if the tactic used factored in, to an extent.

But I stress this is just a hunch and I could very well be wrong.

2 hours ago, NotSoSpecialOne said:

Depends on how much you micromanage your youth team. Do you manage both the general training schedule and their individual training? I have a hunch that a staff member responsible for setting up general training will try to include some sessions in the schedule based on your perceived style. So if you're hands off in that department it could make a difference on what tactic is used. Not sure what influences a staff members' decision with setting individual training but I wouldn't be surprised if the tactic used factored in, to an extent.

The trainning schedule is bias the coach's preferences responsible to setup the trainning. That's why is better to have that person responsible of the trainning with the same view that u want to implement in the team.

20 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

I'm not sure about that. I use an inverted wingback in the FBR position. My academy intake kid in my U18 squad trains and plays as such and is developing very nicely as an IWB rather than simply as a fullback. It may well be that it's the training rather than the playing that is the main factor there.

On the other hand, I've had forwards from my intake who are naturally target men, which I don't use in my tactics. After three years they are decent at the roles my first team strikers use, but are still judged to be best as target men.

My guess here is that it's the training and not the match experience since it's always stressed that training is more important to U18's. I've considered dropping matches all together but it feels gamey to me and the matches give position familiarity for players when I'm changing their position. 

19 hours ago, NotSoSpecialOne said:

I do handle team and individual training. 

If you go with focus play on the left and the right, will it look to create overloads on both flanks depending on the situation/where the ball is or just confuse the play in general?

1 hour ago, Fieldsy said:

If you go with focus play on the left and the right, will it look to create overloads on both flanks depending on the situation/where the ball is or just confuse the play in general?

It can help create overloads on the flanks depending on the situation, but the instruction(s) alone may not suffice. You primarily need to set up roles and duties in such a way as to encourage these overloads, and then you can use the focus play as an auxiliary tactical tool. That's a quick and simple answer to your question. If you want any further discussion, please start your own separate topic. 

Posted (edited)

Is position familiarity player-based or tactics-based? Here's what I mean:
I have an AML and a ST that are both natural at each other's positions as well. They play and train as an AML and ST though.

If I were to switch them around in the middle of a game (for example for better matchups against specific defenders), would that be detrimental in some way? They would be playing a position they're natural at, but that they never played in that specific tactic. Does that make them worse?

Edited by stopazricky
1 hour ago, stopazricky said:

Is position familiarity player-based or tactics-based?

If I am not mistaken, it should be player-based. 

Here's what I mean:
I have an AML and a ST that are both natural at each other's positions as well. They play and train as an AML and ST though.

If I were to switch them around in the middle of a game (for example for better matchups against specific defenders), would that be detrimental in some way? They would be playing a position they're natural at, but that they never played in that specific tactic. Does that make them worse?

That won't be detrimental. As long as a player is natural in a given position and has a proper set of attributes for a specific role, he can play that position and role without any problem (no matter which position or role he is being trained in or what the familiarity bar says). 

Thanks a lot! One more question:

Does the "Get further forward" PI influence a player when he's on the ball too?
It's not in the section of the screen "when player has possession", so I always assumed it only influenced the player when a teammate is on the ball and kind of makes the player "passive" in the sense that he's going to try and be at the other end of a killer ball and not necessarily take part in the build-up play.

Is this correct, or does it also act a little bit like "Dribble More" in the sense that if that player is in fact on the ball, "Get further forward" will encourage him to try and beat opponents?

Does the "Get further forward" PI influence a player when he's on the ball too?

No. 

It's not in the section of the screen "when player has possession", so I always assumed it only influenced the player when a teammate is on the ball and kind of makes the player "passive" in the sense that he's going to try and be at the other end of a killer ball and not necessarily take part in the build-up play

The "Get further forward" Pi is not about "getting at the end of a killer ball". It only serves to generally encourage more forward runs by the player. That's all. 

Also, the get forward PI does not mean that the player will not take part in build-up play. Instructions are not literal. They only serve to encourage players to do a bit more of something. A player on support duty with the Get forward PI behaves differently than a player on attack duty. Because the PI does not change the player's individual mentality.

Is this correct, or does it also act a little bit like "Dribble More" in the sense that if that player is in fact on the ball, "Get further forward" will encourage him to try and beat opponents?

Only the "Dribble more" PI will encourage him to try and beat the opponents by dribbling (or running with the ball). The GFF is not about that. 

3 minutes ago, isignedupfornorealreason said:

Quick thoughts as I don't want to make thread;

What do you think of combining similar mentalities for the wide-central partnerships? Am I thinking along the right lines here, or have I gone off the deep end?

For example; 

An IW/S combined with a DLF/S and a Winger/A with an AF?

I was thinking that the combination would offer a partnership in the AM strata whilst offering possibilities to exploit the other flank if the opposition shifted to try and counteract it. 

However, on the other hand, the usual IW/S + AF, and W/A +DLF/S, seems to me to create a more triangle pattern for passing options.

I know that's a 'roles in isolation' question, I was just wondering if my thought process is going down the right track here?

The answer is not as easy as you might think, because the decision of how to combine roles, pretty much depends on how you want to play. Also the space, that Is exposed by the other team does affect how efficient your setup will be.

Mobility at the frontline will usually create depth and help your team with quick transitions.

mobility from deep will usually create complex build up patterns and movement

20 minutes ago, isignedupfornorealreason said:

Quick thoughts as I don't want to make thread.

I am sorry, but for the kind of question you wanted to ask, you'll have to start a separate thread. I did not want to remove the reply from @CARRERA out of respect for him and his effort, but any further discussion on your question will be removed.

Questions that require any kind of tactical analysis can be dealt with only in separate thread topics (as opposed to the quickfire thread). No exceptions.

14 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

I am sorry, but for the kind of question you wanted to ask, you'll have to start a separate thread. I did not want to remove the reply from @CARRERA out of respect for him and his effort, but any further discussion on your question will be removed.

Questions that require any kind of tactical analysis can be dealt with only in separate thread topics (as opposed to the quickfire thread). No exceptions.

Oh, alright! But you'll have to promise to come and  leave an answer in that thread for me! :P :)

@A_Sober_Paddy I already told you only a couple days ago that such questions cannot be asked in this quickfire thread because they cannot be answered in a quick and simple manner. Therefore, you need to start your own separate thread and ask again there.

I can send you a copy of the question so that you would not have to write it again from scratch.

39 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

@A_Sober_Paddy I already told you only a couple days ago that such questions cannot be asked in this quickfire thread because they cannot be answered in a quick and simple manner. Therefore, you need to start your own separate thread and ask again there.

I can send you a copy of the question so that you would not have to write it again from scratch.

Apologies, I assumed the keeper issue was too small for a specific thread. My previous post was in relation to defending from open play

1 hour ago, A_Sober_Paddy said:

Apologies, I assumed the keeper issue was too small for a specific thread. My previous post was in relation to defending from open play

Both your questions require analysis of the whole tactic, which is why they do not belong to this particular thread. Simply because all tactical elements are interconnected and therefore a defensive issue (for example) can actually be caused by a factor associated with the attacking phase of play and/or vice versa. That's why sometimes/often seemingly "simple" questions are in fact very complex.

I have a player who suddenly halfway the season developed the "doesnt enjoy big matches" on his report card. I know its related to the big matches hidden attribute, but will this ever go back up?

Edited by eXistenZ
27 minutes ago, eXistenZ said:

I have a player who suddenly halfway the season developed the "doesnt enjoy big matches" on his report card. I know its related to the big matches hidden attribute, but will this ever go back up?

It can go back up with the right mentoring if he is still a young player

8 hours ago, zyfon5 said:

He is 22. I never mentored him because he was already a proffesional, and a worldclass player. What I dont understand is why this hidden attribute has changed/decreased. He is my best player and has great ratings this and previous season, including in cup matches and high stake matches (for example, just last two weeks he scored twice against chelsea in the league and made the decider in the fa cup semifinal). Ok he had an average match against real madrid, but so did most people on my team, because it's freaking real madrid....

big mtches.jpg

Edited by eXistenZ
2 minutes ago, eXistenZ said:

He is 22. I never mentored him because he was already a proffesional, and a worldclass player. What I dont understand is why this hidden attribute has changed/decreased. He is my best player and has great ratings this and previous season, including in cup matches and high stake matches (for example, just last two weeks he scored twice against chelsea in the league and made the decider in the fa cup semifinal). Ok he had an average match against real madrid, but so did most people on my team, because it's freaking real madrid....

big mtches.jpg

It didn't necessarily change. This is something that only shows up in coach reports from the age of 22.

9 hours ago, eXistenZ said:

9 hours ago, zyfon5 said:

@HUNT3R  (tagging you bud as you made a reply above) Mentoring only ever impacted attributes which affect personality and media profile, so Big Matches would be unaffected.  Has this changed?

15 minutes ago, herne79 said:

@HUNT3R  (tagging you bud as you made a reply above) Mentoring only ever impacted attributes which affect personality and media profile, so Big Matches would be unaffected.  Has this changed?

AFAIK, it's still something that only affects a Personality (and Player Traits) so things like Consistency and Big Matches shouldn't be affected.

1 hour ago, HUNT3R said:

AFAIK, it's still something that only affects a Personality (and Player Traits) so things like Consistency and Big Matches shouldn't be affected.

Hmm I had always thought that mentoring can also affect Consistency and Big Matches...