Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

Concepts to keep in mind for a high defensive line AND a low line of engagement?

I'm building a tactic with these features because I have fast, smart defenders and attackers who are poorly equipped to press.

My assumption is that this will create a crowded pitch for my opponent, making possession styles difficult. But I'm not sure what other consequences I should be anticipating. I have almost always left these lines on standard because I don't totally understand the impact.

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, st.cronin said:

Concepts to keep in mind for a high defensive line AND a low line of engagement?

I'm building a tactic with these features because I have fast, smart defenders and attackers who are poorly equipped to press.

My assumption is that this will create a crowded pitch for my opponent, making possession styles difficult. But I'm not sure what other consequences I should be anticipating. I have almost always left these lines on standard because I don't totally understand the impact.

I'd say you're leaving yourself very exposed to balls over the top of your defense. Defenders with time and space on the ball and a lot of space in behind will have a chance to hit a striker running through the defensive line.

If you feel you have enough speed to cover that it could be worth a try, but its not something I would attempt myself.

19 minutes ago, khodder said:

I'd say you're leaving yourself very exposed to balls over the top of your defense. Defenders with time and space on the ball and a lot of space in behind will have a chance to hit a striker running through the defensive line.

If you feel you have enough speed to cover that it could be worth a try, but its not something I would attempt myself.

Makes sense, thanks. I had a similar thought so have gone with a sweeper keeper and offside trap, thinking that would mitigate things. First two matches we won 1-0, so defensively it's holding up well. Not quite getting the offensive pressure I was hoping for, yet.

Edited by st.cronin

Hi there, 

I normally use a standard DL, but since I use a bottom heavy formation, I like to use a higher LOE, otherwise we're to passive in defensive transitions.  As far as attributes goes for those more advanced players, I look for work rate and stamina mainly. Is there another important one for that? Acceleration maybe? 

Thanks 

43 minutes ago, mikcheck said:

Hi there, 

I normally use a standard DL, but since I use a bottom heavy formation, I like to use a higher LOE, otherwise we're to passive in defensive transitions.  As far as attributes goes for those more advanced players, I look for work rate and stamina mainly. Is there another important one for that? Acceleration maybe? 

Thanks 

Yeah, it won't hurt, you're on the right track with your thinking there  

What team mentality suits the board vision 'play direct football' best? I've tried different formations and settings with maxed out passing, playing with a target forward, no playmaker, but still the board isn't happy.

1 minute ago, Kcinnay said:

What team mentality suits the board vision 'play direct football' best? I've tried different formations and settings with maxed out passing, playing with a target forward, no playmaker, but still the board isn't happy.

Having direct role partnerships, like IWB Su with IF At. Pass Into Space increase the directness as well.

This is from a guide made by THOG for Football Manager 2015. Is pinned in the tactics section of this forum. Is this information still true in the ME of FM22 or something changed apart from the change in names?

image.png.69c6a231a755566dc85e1b509dd890ae.png

image.png.e1a29440d417defd3278b6749b0f2d2e.png

2 hours ago, bosque said:

This is from a guide made by THOG for Football Manager 2015. Is pinned in the tactics section of this forum. Is this information still true in the ME of FM22 or something changed apart from the change in names?

image.png.69c6a231a755566dc85e1b509dd890ae.png

image.png.e1a29440d417defd3278b6749b0f2d2e.png

Attacking style seems about right, except for defensive/counter inherently being more likely to counter attack. Defense side of things, I don't think mentality influences tackling intensity or your team automatically switching to using the offside trap at higher mentalities?

Some of it is perhaps worded a bit too aggressive though, even if you go Very Attacking you can still instruct your team to press even harder (base setting is only "slightly more often", go wider, more direct and so on. So, it's not an instant 100%, unlike what the text suggests.

5 hours ago, Englishhammer said:

1) What striker role would work well in a counter attacking 4141 DM? (He’d have 2xIW, Carrillo and mezzala behind him)

2) Having a 442 as an alternative tactic, would a TM and AF be the way to go? Counter attacking too. 

For lone striker formations, I would first decide whether I needed a striker on an ATTACK or a SUPPORT duty. Then work out from there what goes best with the rest of my roles.

On 14/06/2022 at 19:15, st.cronin said:

Makes sense, thanks. I had a similar thought so have gone with a sweeper keeper and offside trap, thinking that would mitigate things. First two matches we won 1-0, so defensively it's holding up well. Not quite getting the offensive pressure I was hoping for, yet.

seems more suited to its own thread where you can post the tactic. Generally, in addition to the good advice here, I'd say to move the LOE at least up to standard because if you have smart fast defenders, you want to force the opposition into pressured passes which your defenders can steal and turn into attack.  Are your defenders good in the air?  If so, and if you're playing the right formation, you can play higher and prevent short GK distribution.  You don't need great pressing forwards to prevent that and make the opposition launch the ball upfield but if your forwards lack stamina, you might not want to tire them out

On 16/06/2022 at 13:46, Englishhammer said:

1) What striker role would work well in a counter attacking 4141 DM? (He’d have 2xIW, Carrillo and mezzala behind him)

2) Having a 442 as an alternative tactic, would a TM and AF be the way to go? Counter attacking too. 

Very hard to play that lone striker without anyone in the Attacking midfield strata.  Because you're looking for quick counter attacks, you'd want a player who can play off the shoulder and get onto long balls and crosses:  AF, poacher, maybe PF(a).

On 11/06/2022 at 12:14, bosque said:

I'm using this formation. I have talent down the middle and speed down the flanks.

I want to have the ball down the middle to hopefully draw opposition there and then release it to my speedy flank players.

Does it make sense to ask them to play very narrow?

image.png.451e730c05e7ec9090a7e08089903ab6.png

definitely can work.  I'd consider 'pass into space' and higher tempo.  It looks like you want your LW to be the primary scorer.  Playing extremely narrow might make opponents pack the middle which will block your IF's ability to cut inside and find space.  This will be very cross-heavy which often works very well (too well) in FM22. 

2 minutes ago, DownTheFrank said:

tactical familiarity is very low for the players

Get the team familiar with your main number one tactic

I believe the team do work on the other two tactics so familiarity will be built up but slower 

If your other two tactics are wildly different from your main tactic, then familiarity with those will be naturally low. 

12 hours ago, glengarry224 said:

Very hard to play that lone striker without anyone in the Attacking midfield strata.  Because you're looking for quick counter attacks, you'd want a player who can play off the shoulder and get onto long balls and crosses:  AF, poacher, maybe PF(a).

Yeah I think you’re right. He gets all his balls from any of the Midfield 4, IW on attack mainly

Which role would you use for a mc whose job is to drop back get the ball from the defense and carry it up to pitch via either passing or dribbling ? (kind of like moussa dembele back in pochettino spurs days)

i think traits are the defining factor here but a dlp has a dribble less, mezzala doesnt look like he drops deep, so maybe a ap(su) with a comes deep to get the ball trait ? then again going with the prime eriksen-dembele-wanyama midfield eriksen was the main creator, so i dont think i want two playmakers. Could i get a mc(su) to this ?

(FM20) - Does anyone know of a quicker way to see goals for and goals against on the league table? Currently I click competitions -> league -> hover over overview -> stages 

Is there a way to find this page in 1 or 2 clicks? (I dont use any skins)

Edited by Speedyol

11 hours ago, Fëanáro Míriel said:

Which role would you use for a mc whose job is to drop back get the ball from the defense and carry it up to pitch via either passing or dribbling ? (kind of like moussa dembele back in pochettino spurs days)

i think traits are the defining factor here but a dlp has a dribble less, mezzala doesnt look like he drops deep, so maybe a ap(su) with a comes deep to get the ball trait ? then again going with the prime eriksen-dembele-wanyama midfield eriksen was the main creator, so i dont think i want two playmakers. Could i get a mc(su) to this ?

DLP(s) does not have dribble less and you can give him the TI = dribble more.  AP is "Advanced" so likely won't work.

23 hours ago, Fëanáro Míriel said:

Sounds like a Box to Box midfielder 

Shouldn't vision in GK be important in a long distribution game situation? I'm asking this because vision it's not trained in a long distribution training, only in short one. Shouldn't vision be more important in long distribution?

Edited by mikcheck

Em 23/06/2022 em 18:01, mikcheck disse:

Shouldn't vision in GK be important in a long distribution game situation? I'm asking this because vision it's not trained in a long distribution training, only in short one. Shouldn't vision be more important in long distribution?

some one pls?

1 hour ago, fraudiola said:

how important is teamwork for offside trap? is high anticipation, positioning, decisions sufficient? 

It won't hurt, I'd say Concentration is a pretty important attribute for the offside trap too

8 minutes ago, fraudiola said:

downside to multiple players with dictates tempo ppm?

Hmm, depends on how many you have, I'd say 1-3 is alright, depending on where they are on the pitch. Having your whole starting 11 with the trait might be a bit too much 

26 minutes ago, smeagoltonez said:

Is it safe to also select 'Double intensity' for under 23s & u18s training when player condition is 'excellent' like we do for the first team? Or does this cause burnout?

The difference between Double Intensity vs Normal Intensity is minimal in terms of development, but make difference in terms of injuries (which affect development).

7 hours ago, smeagoltonez said:

Is it safe to also select 'Double intensity' for under 23s & u18s training when player condition is 'excellent' like we do for the first team? Or does this cause burnout?

I suggest you look at your physio's recommendation under Training->Rest and set the Excellent condition automatic setting to what matches the recommendation that suits the majority of the squad for that week.   This is always going to have outliers such as players who have just returned from injury who need to be manually assigned to Half intensity until they've fully recovered and players over 30 years old who generally have problems training at anything over Normal intensity but it will usually cover everyone else adequately.  The Rest menu should be consulted at least once a week (preferably twice a week) to adjust the settings based on match load and congestion.  It should not be used as a set once at the beginning of the season and forget about it until the next season. 

On 04/07/2022 at 01:17, Johnny Ace said:

It won't hurt, I'd say Concentration is a pretty important attribute for the offside trap too

Agree that mentals, including both concentration and teamwork, are the most important.  After that, probably marking. 

For recovery purposes, I'd say Acceleration, Aggression and Tackling.

For GKs:  anticipation, teamwork, decisions, acceleration, concentration, bravery, rushing out

9 hours ago, mikcheck said:

Hi. When you create a mentoring, do you always do it with players within the same units? For example, mentoring groups only with players from defensive units and other one with just attacking units players.

It isn't required but it does seem to help.  If you don't do this when creating the mentoring groups, your staff will usually send you an email suggesting that you move the players between groups which align with them being in the same training unit. 

On 10/07/2022 at 07:57, mikcheck said:

Hi. When you create a mentoring, do you always do it with players within the same units? For example, mentoring groups only with players from defensive units and other one with just attacking units players.

One benefit to them being in the same training unit, especially in similar positions, is that mentoring groups can pass on player traits

4 hours ago, axelmuller said:

Does Cautious mentality trigger counters without the Counter team instruction?

Rarely, I would activate it. relatively low pressing triggers can also help to catch the opponent in the break

I have an interesting forward, natural both at ST and AMC, he have strenght, heading, finishing, some tech, decent mentals, pretty well rounded without obvious weakness.

He is also accomplished at CM. Media description is attacking midfielder but he is more a St given his skills although he's so well rounded he can play anywhere.

What puzzles me a little is his trait, Arrives late in opponents' area so my question is it is worth to train him as a B2B (he's only accomplished) ? Or should I train him as a ST who supports the play (DLF support, Target Man?  False nine doesn't work, his dribbling lets him down? Or it would be more interesting as AM with that trait?

I really like that trait and works with my tactic so I am thinking if it is active with a ST/AMC

LE: Is this works with a Target Man (At), as this is his best rating given on fminside site?

Edited by CharlieTZR

How can I avoid ball watching and easy counters against? I play with Newcastle and are several seasons in and have a very good team. But sometimes, especially during counters all the players are focused on the ball, and no one is picking up a man or a run. Can this be avoided? And since I usually are the best team, teams play deep against me and counters. Is there a way to minimize counters against?

1 hour ago, Taunton said:

Is there a way to minimize counters against?

You're likely committing too many men forward/playing a very risky style of football, which can often be counter-productive against teams aiming to sit back and snatch one on the break. Having a holding midfielder and toning things down a notch can not only make you more defensively solid against such teams, but also increase the quality of your own chances, since players will be more patient and won't give the ball away as often.

What is the best way to change personality for a young player? I have a 15 year old that looks like they could be very good however, their personality is unambitious and their have a determination of 5. 

I am a bit frustrated, Played against City, I am Newcastle, I am 3-1 up at half time. They turn around the game and win 4-3. I have more shots and better xg. The game before I was 2-0 against City in the EFL cup final, and they come back to 2-2. The problem is that I find that attacking is better against them, when I go to positive or balanced, they swarm all over me. Without going into detailed tactics, how can you withstand the relentless attacking from the AI when they are losing?

On 10/07/2022 at 19:57, mikcheck said:

Not necessarily, but you need to remember that traits also inherit from the mentor in mentoring. So position will have a significant influence in here as you see fit for you attacking players to get Mark Opponents tightly from your Defend team leader (as example)

12 hours ago, bdixon said:

What is the best way to change personality for a young player? I have a 15 year old that looks like they could be very good however, their personality is unambitious and their have a determination of 5. 

Mentoring is the best way, I have a very great youngster with unambitious personality and after 5 years mentoring from 18-23 age, he changed to Fairly Sporting personality and bam he is fantastic

To be reminded as personality come through from set of some attributes, so it will be faster to change the personality from mentoring when your players are already on the upper side of the change, for players from the lower side of changes it will take time or mayber forever or never change

On 14/07/2022 at 19:12, 04texag said:

Question on footedness.

If you had a BBM, or Mez, that you were wanting to play as a runner, would you want a right footed player at MCR or MCL?

Honestly, this would completely depend on the rest of the system. I generally play a Mez(A), so I want an aggressive player getting into the box and scoring goals, for which I feel a wrong footed player makes more sense since he has more angles available for the shot (admittedly, in FM this rarely seems to matter :lol:), but if I wanted someone to run and create space, I might be much more inclined on a correct footed player, depending on where I want him to run and whom to create space for. Another thing to consider would be the passing lines, especially the Mez is a relatively creative role, so the question then also is who are the runners around him he's likely to pass the ball to.

10 hours ago, saintrainhard said:

Mentoring is the best way, I have a very great youngster with unambitious personality and after 5 years mentoring from 18-23 age, he changed to Fairly Sporting personality and bam he is fantastic

To be reminded as personality come through from set of some attributes, so it will be faster to change the personality from mentoring when your players are already on the upper side of the change, for players from the lower side of changes it will take time or mayber forever or never change

Unambitious can be a surprisingly good personality actually, as it has a Professionalism range from 5-20. It's pretty much the only "negative" personality I don't instantly avoid on FM. Well worth looking at their media handling style, as that can potentially tell you a lot about the rest of their personality.

This guy for example is Unambitious and I'd say that's an amazing personality:
image.png.23c0ee4ae33e343ee866ab17ae9ce3fe.png