Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

What's everyone think of this?-  4-2-3-1 (x2 DM)

GK

FB-s DC-d DC-d FB-s

BWM-s DLP-d

IW-s AM-a W-a

AF-a

Shorter Passing

Standard Tempo

Play Out of Defence

Counter

Stop Crosses

Mid Block

Standard Def Line

Would've added a screen shot but I'm at work, and thinking on how to get the tactic going haha

Edited by xSEARLEYx

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, xSEARLEYx said:

What's everyone think of this?-  4-2-3-1 (x2 DM)

GK

FB-s DC-d DC-d FB-s

BWM-s DLP-d

IW-s AM-a W-a

AF-a

Shorter Passing

Standard Tempo

Play Out of Defence

Counter

Stop Crosses

Mid Block

Standard Def Line

Would've added a screen shot but I'm at work, and thinking on how to get the tactic going haha

I think you may struggle to find penetration here with those two conservative full backs. Maybe consider making the FB behind the IW a WB so they can get forward and offer some width on that side?

Is it possible to stop or hide the "Team selection advice" before games? Switching person for the advice doesn't matter. 

It's always been terrible and just takes something away from the game to see before every match.

Edited by Jagr

On 08/11/2022 at 15:24, The3points said:

Yeah makes sense, but how to target them in particular? Should I get the 10 to man mark one and a CM to manmark the other? Both 9 and 10 to block them off? Only block ballside CM? (How would you do that in FM?)

I don't go to that level of detail sorry! I occasionally man mark an opposition player, but I worry about that player being switched to another position and my defence becoming vulnerable until I realise

18 minutes ago, eXistenZ said:

Steps to take when your players team/attackers massivly underperform their xg? Even shots in the small rectangle are blasted wide. Already doing WBIB. Lowering the tempo just leads to more blocked shots

Sometimes the team is just on a bad run. I think you already did the right actions, you could just check however, if there really is enough support around to lay off balls when WBIB. Another thing that can help if you select the match preperation for attacking play as it "boots" (or whatever you wanna call it) your attacking play.

1 minute ago, CARRERA said:

Sometimes the team is just on a bad run. I think you already did the right actions, you could just check however, if there really is enough support around to lay off balls when WBIB. Another thing that can help if you select the match preperation for attacking play as it "boots" (or whatever you wanna call it) your attacking play.

A bad run of 4 months? Already doing attacking movement + defensive shape before every game.

22 minutes ago, eXistenZ said:

A bad run of 4 months? Already doing attacking movement + defensive shape before every game.

Properbly open a thread then with more detailed information, if ad-hoc adjustments doesn't help. Maybe its something more deep in your tactical setup.

Do you guys defend narrow or wide  depending on the opposition formation or your own? Or dou you leave it on standard? For example I play a flat 442 but I never know what do go for. But normally if the opposition play with a 3 man midfield (which is basically most of the teams I play against) I go for narrow defending.

15 minutes ago, mikcheck said:

Do you guys defend narrow or wide  depending on the opposition formation or your own? Or dou you leave it on standard? For example I play a flat 442 but I never know what do go for. But normally if the opposition play with a 3 man midfield (which is basically most of the teams I play against) I go for narrow defending.

I would always suggest to play to your teams strength, as thats a consitancy for familiarity. Only if you feel like its not working ingame vs a specific opponent, then make adjustments.

I found a schedule that is working for me, it has a 1 and 2 games a week plan.

It mostly consists of offensive, defensive and matchprep. It does the job without making it complicated. It does require you to set pos/rol/dut + focus, set the highest segment under pause to double and set all to automatic.

After that you just copy the schedule in the training calender and rotate your squad.

Aditional physical training is only applied in preseason.

a) When building a training schedule you want to max the 'attribute: indiv. role' time.

The most efficient drill is the pratice match, but that has a high load, so put 1 only and only if 1 game only.

Second highest is already the match prep off/def with a 60/20/20 split. If you even it out, you get a 40/40/20 split and only little load comes with it.

b) You wanna also have the dark blue off and def. Those do concentrate more on certain attributes, as outfield would do. They come in mid dose of load and provide you with a 40/40/20 split on average.

Athletics in the beginning of the week, already gives you just that little bit of tickling at the physical attributes to let them grow enough.

1. Focus on technical and individual training, the mental and physical attributes will grow anyway.

2. Don't overwork the loads in both playing and training.

-> Results are great. Gains.

sa.png

Edited by b2khn

On 24/11/2022 at 19:47, eXistenZ said:

First steps to take when you're haing 70% possession but absolutly nothing is happening?

I try pressruing the backline more and upping the tempo to unsettle them, but nothing has worked so far

Yeah, adding more riskier TI's like you say would be a good start, more direct, pass into space etc without having much detail 

Em 24/11/2022 em 16:47, eXistenZ disse:

First steps to take when you're haing 70% possession but absolutly nothing is happening?

I try pressruing the backline more and upping the tempo to unsettle them, but nothing has worked so far

I would try to stretch the field horizontally.

2 wingers stepping in the sidelines.

1 central strikers

2 runners coming from deep charging the channels.

1 holding midfielder to distribute the passes

2 inverted wing backs to compose the midfield.

This way, you are attacking all 5 lines. Also, as you are having 70% possession, you can play this kind of game with no problem. You can even remove a wingback and put another striker (one that comes deep to mess with the defending line). Then, you set up your defense with 3 dudes, two of them wide centerbacks to hold off counters. 

After you score, you can get back to a backline with 4.

Edited by jondragonborn

Guys, I want to manage a underdog team. My goal is to set up a tactic that solid in defense and great at counter attacks. Also, I want to play with a strong Target Forward as my main goal threat. I got one of the tallest and strongest strikers in the league and want to take advantage of that.

What can you'll recomend? Any video or guide that could help guide me through that?

1 hour ago, jondragonborn said:

Guys, I want to manage a underdog team. My goal is to set up a tactic that solid in defense and great at counter attacks. Also, I want to play with a strong Target Forward as my main goal threat. I got one of the tallest and strongest strikers in the league and want to take advantage of that.

What can you'll recomend? Any video or guide that could help guide me through that?

There are loads of videos on YouTube showing off killer downloadable tactics. I never look at them as I believe you need to tailor your tactics to your players. For example, I don't have speedy players so don't set up counter-attack. If you've got good wingers who can cross, use a wide formation and hit the flanks.

On 01/08/2008 at 17:23, Sampa said:

Awesome, thanks very much.

I have an Asst. Manager that has a CA of 93 and a PA of 187, so I wondered if he would even reach that as he's staff, lol.

In a previous version of FM (a few years ago) I worked out that staff peak at 50. Don't know if it's still the case.

42 minutes ago, pedromanuelpinto said:

Hi, I normally use the default training schedules. Some time I do some specific change, but it not the normal way. 

Am I losing a lot with this and should I use other trains schedules?

I would use my own especially after pre-season.

Edited by Hanxvirenk208
Added a YouTube link then removed it.

4 hours ago, fraudiola said:

are throw-ins just full on broken in this game? they don't follow instructions, half the throw-ins are directly to opposition. 

I've noticed that but this is the first time I've seen it mentioned, feel free to log it on the tracker 

On 13/11/2022 at 13:04, mikcheck said:

If you want your GK to kick the ball to longer distances, like playing in a more counter attacking style, which attributes you look for? Kicking and passing?

Kicking represents how far he can kick the ball. Passing represents how accurate that kick is.

9 hours ago, Hovis Dexter said:

Which ones were you thinking about?

"The book of roles" and "Pressing has been reworked" come to my mind. But thats ok. The sticky list was tooo long

Edited by bosque

In one of my saves I got Lino on a free transfer. German GK with PPM throws loing to start counter attacks. I played a cautious counter attacking tactic with mid block, low line. I played with GK instruction throw it long. I've seen a lot of counters, seen a lot of keeper balls. Never saw a single throw. 

Is this just not in the ME atm and should I just accept it?

1 hour ago, kazm said:

In one of my saves I got Lino on a free transfer. German GK with PPM throws loing to start counter attacks. I played a cautious counter attacking tactic with mid block, low line. I played with GK instruction throw it long. I've seen a lot of counters, seen a lot of keeper balls. Never saw a single throw. 

Is this just not in the ME atm and should I just accept it?

Honestly not sure, to rule out it being a bug, see if you can spot were he has good opportunities to long throw to start and counter and doesn't try it ie a player within throwing distance when your opponent has over committed and report the PKM on the tracker 

It could be his mentality, if you're playing on Cautious he may see a long throw as being too risky 

18 hours ago, fraudiola said:

how hardcoded are player attributes? if i had a 15 year old messi and only trained CB attributes on him, how i could his defensive attribute actually go? 

Good Ebening, Yes you can train defensive Attributes.
I attached a giant pic beneath, where you can see as example that this 21 year old columbian could in fact progress in his defensive attributes within a year of this training program.
Is he Messi? Pretty sure he is not Messi, but he is a technical player, that is not very much into heading.

defprog.png

Edited by b2khn
addition of examples

Hey, does it make sense to anyone else that if you have a wingback on attack, bombing up the pitch that one might consider putting the central defender on that wingbacks side to ‘stay wider’ to cover him while he’s bombed forward. Does that make any sense at all? 

16 hours ago, Harrymcintyre said:

Hey, does it make sense to anyone else that if you have a wingback on attack, bombing up the pitch that one might consider putting the central defender on that wingbacks side to ‘stay wider’ to cover him while he’s bombed forward. Does that make any sense at all? 

I tried 5 at the back with attacking wingbacks. I put my left and right CDs on WCD defend. I think it was the right idea, but my fullbacks/wingbacks weren't performing well. Problem I think is the players, not the system.

4 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

I tried 5 at the back with attacking wingbacks. I put my left and right CDs on WCD defend. I think it was the right idea, but my fullbacks/wingbacks weren't performing well. Problem I think is the players, not the system.

The PI to 'Stay wider' applies 'when [the own] team has the ball' , you can not use it to make the outer CB cover to wider areas in a sense, that it would position the player in wider def. position.
For that you have to think about transition, aka "how does the player behave if the own team has lost the possession". Where will the def. position end up if the player will step up? Where will he end up, if he falls back? Are you defending wide or narrow as a team? Consider the use of OI or man-marking if appropriate.

CB stay.png

6 hours ago, kaffekatten said:

why cant i choose acceleration/pace training focus? (grayed out)

Are you trying to train the rehab? Scrolling down you find the physical sets of training focus.

Hello guys, 

I use a flat 442 (FM21) and on the side of the more defensive minded midfielder I use a more adventurous FB. But I never really know if it's best to use a WB(s) or FB(a), I think mainly because the player has gets forward trait. The goal of that player is to give width on that side, since the player in front of him is instructed to sit narrower. 

1 minute ago, mikcheck said:

Hello guys, 

I use a flat 442 (FM21) and on the side of the more defensive minded midfielder I use a more adventurous FB. But I never really know if it's best to use a WB(s) or FB(a), I think mainly because the player has gets forward trait. The goal of that player is to give width on that side, since the player in front of him is instructed to sit narrower. 

Probably best off using the Wingback then if you want him to provide the width on that side of the pitch 

Players will play as the ppm tell them. Even if you put a Players as an iwb, who has stay on the sideline, dribbles down flank ect. he will do those things regardless of pos/rol/dut.

Rest vs Recovery - Are there any benefits from right-clicking a player and choosing to rest him the day after a match? Will he miss out on the light green "Recovery" training? Sometimes during a interview, I click that "a rest is well decerved" and they skip the recovery.. Do you wait until the day after recovery before you rest players? And do you rest your best 11 at all? I have 2 matches per week for 8 weeks in a row and 3 important matches in a row saturday - wedensday - saturday, Is it a good idea to rest players? Thanks for any advice!

3 hours ago, Speedyol said:

Rest vs Recovery - Are there any benefits from right-clicking a player and choosing to rest him the day after a match? Will he miss out on the light green "Recovery" training? Sometimes during a interview, I click that "a rest is well decerved" and they skip the recovery.. Do you wait until the day after recovery before you rest players? And do you rest your best 11 at all? I have 2 matches per week for 8 weeks in a row and 3 important matches in a row saturday - wedensday - saturday, Is it a good idea to rest players? Thanks for any advice!

1 day rest after the game + rotation if enough players.

Trying to create a counter attack for a just above relegation quality side. Are my roles balanced.

main issues im finding are:

1. Win the ball back and lose it instantly by a clearance or poor pass or don't fully regain possession.

2. break away and I never have a number advantage, so cant seem to make good of the counter.

4231 2.JPG

433.JPG

7 minutes ago, Chingwu said:

Trying to create a counter attack for a just above relegation quality side. Are my roles balanced.

main issues im finding are:

1. Win the ball back and lose it instantly by a clearance or poor pass or don't fully regain possession.

2. break away and I never have a number advantage, so cant seem to make good of the counter.

4231 2.JPG

433.JPG

I've been facing the same problem and feel like I've solved it. I changed to a counter-attacking tactic because I've just got promoted and am expected to struggle, and because the board and supporters told me to. The problem is it doesn't suit my players. To counter, your attackers need to be fast - mine aren't. And the guys behind them are poor passers, so those long punts go straight to the opposition. So you need to check your players' attributes - do they actually suit the tactic? I improved by taking off 'counter' and 'direct' passing. I'm doing quick, short passes in a sort-of vertical tiki-taka style, although I don't call it that. I'm waiting for the board and supporters to call me out.