Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

I don't buy every FM.  In FM17, the PPM of "Likes to beat the offside trap" was a nightmare IMHO.  A striker (IIRC, Harry Kane had it) with it would rack up 100+ offsides in a PL season.

In FM21 I'm interested in a regen but he has that PPM.  Is it any better in recent versions?  I don't want to spank the transfer budget on him and find I just tear my hair out...

• Replies 17.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Harpoon76 said:

I don't buy every FM.  In FM17, the PPM of "Likes to beat the offside trap" was a nightmare IMHO.  A striker (IIRC, Harry Kane had it) with it would rack up 100+ offsides in a PL season.

In FM21 I'm interested in a regen but he has that PPM.  Is it any better in recent versions?  I don't want to spank the transfer budget on him and find I just tear my hair out...

It's a good trait for an out and out striker and if they rate well in Anticipation and Decisions (OTB and Acceleration wouldn't hurt either) the player should make the right call more often than not 

51 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

It's a good trait for an out and out striker and if they rate well in Anticipation and Decisions (OTB and Acceleration wouldn't hurt either) the player should make the right call more often than not 

Thanks - will review his stats again and have a think.

Question about player development: Is it possible that players are on a certain "development" path that they can not stray too far from? I spent 5 years (16 to 21) training what I wanted to be my new wingback. His crossing went from 5 to 7 despite constant individual training and lots of "Attacking - Overload" sessions. Meanwhile his other stats skyrocketed. Or my goalkeeper who grew from 12 Reach/Jumping to 20 each and got some nice general goalkeeping attributes despite me training him as a SKd with "Distribution - Short" focus and at least one, mostly two weekly Distribution sessions.

I see players aged 21 to 24 mostly incrasing through individual training and only minor increases about everywhere else. Is that like that from the beginning, only masked by the general rapid development? Players have a relatively clear progression and we only fine-tune it in some places?

Using a 2 striker system, the one you want to be the main scorer, will you use him on the wrong side of his preferred foot? A left footed striker on the right side for example. 

Is that something you pay attention to? 

Thanks

Edited by mikcheck

20 hours ago, mikcheck said:

Using a 2 striker system, the one you want to be the main scorer, will you use him on the wrong side of his preferred foot? A left footed striker on the right side for example. 

Is that something you pay attention to? 

Thanks

If you tell them to "stay wider" it helps, the play as half -strikers, half inverted wingers. If they have high strength or balance though, it might be better to put them in their "natural" foot, I've noticed it works well in this ME. So it depends on how you want to play.

10 horas atrás, Poison disse:

If you tell them to "stay wider" it helps, the play as half -strikers, half inverted wingers. If they have high strength or balance though, it might be better to put them in their "natural" foot, I've noticed it works well in this ME. So it depends on how you want to play.

I play 2 upfront. The creative one has the instruction to stay wider and roam, while the finisher one plays as a PF with no instructions. He's playing on the side of his natural foot.  Almost reaching the end of the season and he scored 32 so far, so cant really be mad about it. 

Edited by mikcheck

I don't know if it's the right place for this...

For young players that I want to keep in my squad and don't want to loan out till they become CTPs and aren't strong enough to have some playing time with the senior team, for their developement it's more effective to play in competitive U19 matches or in friendlies i.e. in a B team against stronger opponents?

Edited by Fox-7-

3 hours ago, Fox-7- said:

I don't know if it's the right place for this...

For young players that I want to keep in my squad and don't want to loan out till they become CTPs and aren't strong enough to have some playing time with the senior team, for their developement it's more effective to play in competitive U19 matches or in friendlies i.e. in a B team against stronger opponents?

For player development it’s never better to play in a friendly vs a competitive match.  Players don’t try as hard or put as much effort into friendlies as they do in competitive matches (it’s in the game coding).

Saludos: 

I often play 442 in Lower leagues, level 9 currently with Manchester Central.

How do I make my Left and Right Mids to return diagonally to our defensive areas, especially the ones in the weak flank? 

How do I make sure they are well positioned ("goal side, between defender and goal") while defending the "static" attack of the opposition?  (Sometimes they are in the wrong side of the attacker, closer to the sideline than the defender while being away from the ball).

Thank you, gracias!

11 minutes ago, AngeloBenito1974 said:

Saludos: 

I often play 442 in Lower leagues, level 9 currently with Manchester Central.

How do I make my Left and Right Mids to return diagonally to our defensive areas, especially the ones in the weak flank? 

How do I make sure they are well positioned ("goal side, between defender and goal") while defending the "static" attack of the opposition?  (Sometimes they are in the wrong side of the attacker, closer to the sideline than the defender while being away from the ball).

Thank you, gracias!

You might want to to start a new thread, preferably with a screenshot of your tactic for your questions :thup:

Playing in a lower block with a 442, how importat is in your opinion for the 2 midfielders to have good positioning, bravery and tackling (even more in this case, as there's only 2 midfielders in the middle) ?

Edited by mikcheck

1 hour ago, SanTullo said:

Tight marking instruction is seemingly removed from out of possession in fm23? Or am I just missing something here.

Yes, it got removed 

37 minutes ago, mikcheck said:

Playing in a lower block with a 442, how importat is in your opinion for the 2 midfielders to have good positioning, bravery and tackling (even more in this case, as there's only 2 midfielders in the middle) ?

For me it would be advisable, as they need to provide stability in the center

Been looking for a while and can’t find an answer for this

is a Segundo Volante a ‘ball magnet’ eg is that role considered a playmaker by the other players?

only reason I’m asking it because the description specifically mentions Deep Lying Playmaker 

7 horas atrás, allyc31 disse:

Been looking for a while and can’t find an answer for this

is a Segundo Volante a ‘ball magnet’ eg is that role considered a playmaker by the other players?

only reason I’m asking it because the description specifically mentions Deep Lying Playmaker 

I'm almost sure that SV is not a ball magnet

2 minutes ago, mikcheck said:

A central defender with high jumping reach but poor heading, does that put you off or would you still consider that player?

His clearance probably won't be accurate but at least he's getting to it :thup: (all being well)

3 minutes ago, mikcheck said:

What does poor heading really means? That the player don't know how to head the ball? A poor technique when doing it? 

I think so, a bit like Passing but with your head, the accuracy of where they go 

I consistently have problems with opposition getting high numbers of shots in the box. Happens in most of my tactics. I always play a back 4. I either have

CD(def) CD (def) or

CD (def) CD(cov)

I usually end up putting the PI ‘press less’ on the whole back 4 to keep shape. Is this contributing to  opponents taking shots away easily inside the box?

It might also be midfield issues and allowing too many final 3rd entries. It’s just the consistency I’m having this problem that making me wonder about my back 4 set up. Thanks. 

Inside forward (and to less extent inverted winger) are doing horrible for me in my first ten league matches.  Encountered this problem in FM21 and never managed to fix it. Any early opinions on this? 433 dm wide with a target forward support. Often I see their ratings drop off to 6.5 in the first ten minutes, exactly the same as happened in 21.

19 ore fa, Lambielsa ha scritto:

I consistently have problems with opposition getting high numbers of shots in the box. Happens in most of my tactics. I always play a back 4. I either have

CD(def) CD (def) or

CD (def) CD(cov)

I usually end up putting the PI ‘press less’ on the whole back 4 to keep shape. Is this contributing to  opponents taking shots away easily inside the box?

It might also be midfield issues and allowing too many final 3rd entries. It’s just the consistency I’m having this problem that making me wonder about my back 4 set up. Thanks. 

Without some screenshots in-game is difficult to say but probably it's your midfield. They are not covering passing lanes to CMs so they have a good shot

14 hours ago, eXistenZ said:

Inside forward (and to less extent inverted winger) are doing horrible for me in my first ten league matches.  Encountered this problem in FM21 and never managed to fix it. Any early opinions on this? 433 dm wide with a target forward support. Often I see their ratings drop off to 6.5 in the first ten minutes, exactly the same as happened in 21.

Inside Forwards are pretty awesome in a 4-3-3, I use them with a DLF over a Target Forward though. I'm guessing your TF would make a good DLF (Jumping Reach, Strength, Balance etc)

You might be better off posting your full tactic on the T&T board for more in depth help

Il 26/10/2022 in 16:11 , Johnny Ace ha scritto:

Inside Forwards are pretty awesome in a 4-3-3, I use them with a DLF over a Target Forward though. I'm guessing your TF would make a good DLF (Jumping Reach, Strength, Balance etc)

You might be better off posting your full tactic on the T&T board for more in depth help

Don't know if they fixed them on FM23. In the 22 both IF/IW were pretty useless if you wanted to play in the half-space

Has anyone found an answer how to deal with the long balls over the defenders in FM23? I've been losing games where I'm very much in control just to be beaten by a single pirlo pass over the top leaving their striker in a 1on1 situation with my keeper, which in most cases ends up being a goal.

I'm currently playing a midblock setup with a BPD(d) on the left side, CD(d) on the right side, and a DLP(s) and Segundo Volante (a) right in front of them.

50 minuti fa, diLLa88 ha scritto:

Has anyone found an answer how to deal with the long balls over the defenders in FM23? I've been losing games where I'm very much in control just to be beaten by a single pirlo pass over the top leaving their striker in a 1on1 situation with my keeper, which in most cases ends up being a goal.

I'm currently playing a midblock setup with a BPD(d) on the left side, CD(d) on the right side, and a DLP(s) and Segundo Volante (a) right in front of them.

Lower your defensive line or try using a defender on cover. Or get better players

4 hours ago, diLLa88 said:

Did you try asking your Defensive Line to Drop Off? (One of the new instructions) 

14 minutes ago, diLLa88 said:

Not yet no, could try that.

What does this do exactly?

Your defensive line will drop to prevent balls over the top. The downside is that they can’t support a potential high press. But might be worth if that (balls over the top) is the main reason for conceding

23 minutes ago, Nick_CB said:

Is it just me or has AMC gone back to being a useless player in tactics? I say this because even with a support role, he has little participation in the creation of opportunities and organization

In FM22 it helped for me to put the lone AMC on either AMCL or AMCR opposed to AMC central with a roam player instruction. So far it seems to work well again in FM23 for me, but have not tested it enough to fully confirm.

25 minutes ago, CARRERA said:

Your defensive line will drop to prevent balls over the top. The downside is that they can’t support a potential high press. But might be worth if that (balls over the top) is the main reason for conceding

I'll try it out, thanks. Seems like it could work in theory.

I'm currently running a narrow diamond which has been working well. It is a high press attacking system and the front three are

Pf - a

Cf - s

Ss -a

The midfield is a mez- s and a car -s

The board have accepted an offer on the CF which is kinda annoying!

The replacement I have is a perfect F9 but doesn't have the physicals to be a CF.

When I have changed the role to a f9 it doesn't seem to be working anywhere close to as well. Any ideas to the other roles that you can suggest please?

Edited by Spartak Trigger

On 30/10/2022 at 01:19, mikcheck said:

When you guys find a player that perfectly suits your style by the attributes and personality he has, but with 1 unwanted trait, do you still sign him, perhaps hoping that he can unlearn it?

Depends on how much it would affect his game for me

Like I wouldn't want an Inverted Winger with Hugs Line or a Poacher that Comes Deep 

13 hours ago, Spartak Trigger said:

I'm currently running a narrow diamond which has been working well. It is a high press attacking system and the front three are

Pf - a

Cf - s

Ss -a

The midfield is a mez- s and a car -s

The board have accepted an offer on the CF which is kinda annoying!

The replacement I have is a perfect F9 but doesn't have the physicals to be a CF.

When I have changed the role to a f9 it doesn't seem to be working anywhere close to as well. Any ideas to the other roles that you can suggest please?

A DLF or PF(S) maybe? I'd probably try and find a player similar to the CF your chairman sold, the CF is one heck of a role with a lot of freedom of movement  

6 hours ago, Johnny Ace said:

Like I wouldn't want an Inverted Winger with Hugs Line or a Poacher that Comes Deep 

I don’t necessarily think that Hugs Line is bad for an Inverted Winger. I quite like having an Inverted Winger as the player creating width on one side as opposed to using a Winger.

7 horas atrás, Johnny Ace disse:

I signed a striker who can perfectly fit my team, problem is that he likes to comes deep, but I still decided to buy him.

Fingers crossed so he can unlearn that 

2 minutes ago, mikcheck said:

I signed a striker who can perfectly fit my team, problem is that he likes to comes deep, but I still decided to buy him.

Fingers crossed so he can unlearn that 

I guess you're playing him as an Advanced Forward, PF(A) or a Poacher? For any other striker, it's probably not a problem