Jump to content

Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)


Recommended Posts

I've had this problem in the last few versions but never got round to raising it so here goes;

 

Despite being in overall control of my Reserve/Youth squads individual training, more often than not some of my players additional focus training defaults to 'None'.

 

It is quite frustrating as it affects their development as it can go months in game before I notice.

 

Any ideas?

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Rino72. said:

I've had this problem in the last few versions but never got round to raising it so here goes;

 

Despite being in overall control of my Reserve/Youth squads individual training, more often than not some of my players additional focus training defaults to 'None'.

 

It is quite frustrating as it affects their development as it can go months in game before I notice.

 

Any ideas?

Keep an eye on injuries, I’ve noticed this too and have a suspicion it defaults back either after an injury and when they return from holiday pre season. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm using this formation. I have talent down the middle and speed down the flanks.

I want to have the ball down the middle to hopefully draw opposition there and then release it to my speedy flank players.

Does it make sense to ask them to play very narrow?

image.png.451e730c05e7ec9090a7e08089903ab6.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bosque said:

I'm using this formation. I have talent down the middle and speed down the flanks.

I want to have the ball down the middle to hopefully draw opposition there and then release it to my speedy flank players.

Does it make sense to ask them to play very narrow?

image.png.451e730c05e7ec9090a7e08089903ab6.png

I am not very sure about width (especially in attack).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Il y a 3 heures, bosque a dit :

I'm using this formation. I have talent down the middle and speed down the flanks.

I want to have the ball down the middle to hopefully draw opposition there and then release it to my speedy flank players.

Does it make sense to ask them to play very narrow?

image.png.451e730c05e7ec9090a7e08089903ab6.png

Personally I reduce width when I use a double pivot, so there is no forward movement from my DMs/CMs. To compensate, I want my wide midfielders closer to the striker and use WBs to give some width.

If one of my DM or CM is allowed to join the attack, I want to give him space so I don't reduce width. In your case, if you play very narrow, I think Bellarabi and especially Diaby won't be on the flanks but closer to the middle.

Link to post
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, mikcheck said:

Hi.

I know there's no exact answer for this but playing with max width in a balanced mentality could be similar to the normal width in a attacking mentality?

I'm pretty certain that's right, Balanced mentality is balanced everything, then every time you move mentality up or down, you're adjusting passing, tempo, lines and width up or down 

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 horas atrás, Johnny Ace disse:

I'm pretty certain that's right, Balanced mentality is balanced everything, then every time you move mentality up or down, you're adjusting passing, tempo, lines and width up or down 

Thanks, but that's not exactly what I've asked, maybe. For example if I put maximum width in a balanced mentality, would that width be similar to a normal one used with an attacking mentality for example?

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, mikcheck said:

Thanks, but that's not exactly what I've asked, maybe. For example if I put maximum width in a balanced mentality, would that width be similar to a normal one used with an attacking mentality for example?

Yeah, that's pretty much what I said :D

Balanced with two notches up on the Width would have the same or similar width to Attacking 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Concepts to keep in mind for a high defensive line AND a low line of engagement?

I'm building a tactic with these features because I have fast, smart defenders and attackers who are poorly equipped to press.

My assumption is that this will create a crowded pitch for my opponent, making possession styles difficult. But I'm not sure what other consequences I should be anticipating. I have almost always left these lines on standard because I don't totally understand the impact.

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, st.cronin said:

Concepts to keep in mind for a high defensive line AND a low line of engagement?

I'm building a tactic with these features because I have fast, smart defenders and attackers who are poorly equipped to press.

My assumption is that this will create a crowded pitch for my opponent, making possession styles difficult. But I'm not sure what other consequences I should be anticipating. I have almost always left these lines on standard because I don't totally understand the impact.

I'd say you're leaving yourself very exposed to balls over the top of your defense. Defenders with time and space on the ball and a lot of space in behind will have a chance to hit a striker running through the defensive line.

If you feel you have enough speed to cover that it could be worth a try, but its not something I would attempt myself.

Link to post
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, khodder said:

I'd say you're leaving yourself very exposed to balls over the top of your defense. Defenders with time and space on the ball and a lot of space in behind will have a chance to hit a striker running through the defensive line.

If you feel you have enough speed to cover that it could be worth a try, but its not something I would attempt myself.

Makes sense, thanks. I had a similar thought so have gone with a sweeper keeper and offside trap, thinking that would mitigate things. First two matches we won 1-0, so defensively it's holding up well. Not quite getting the offensive pressure I was hoping for, yet.

Edited by st.cronin
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there, 

I normally use a standard DL, but since I use a bottom heavy formation, I like to use a higher LOE, otherwise we're to passive in defensive transitions.  As far as attributes goes for those more advanced players, I look for work rate and stamina mainly. Is there another important one for that? Acceleration maybe? 

Thanks 

Link to post
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, mikcheck said:

Hi there, 

I normally use a standard DL, but since I use a bottom heavy formation, I like to use a higher LOE, otherwise we're to passive in defensive transitions.  As far as attributes goes for those more advanced players, I look for work rate and stamina mainly. Is there another important one for that? Acceleration maybe? 

Thanks 

Yeah, it won't hurt, you're on the right track with your thinking there  

Link to post
Share on other sites

What team mentality suits the board vision 'play direct football' best? I've tried different formations and settings with maxed out passing, playing with a target forward, no playmaker, but still the board isn't happy.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Kcinnay said:

What team mentality suits the board vision 'play direct football' best? I've tried different formations and settings with maxed out passing, playing with a target forward, no playmaker, but still the board isn't happy.

Having direct role partnerships, like IWB Su with IF At. Pass Into Space increase the directness as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is from a guide made by THOG for Football Manager 2015. Is pinned in the tactics section of this forum. Is this information still true in the ME of FM22 or something changed apart from the change in names?

image.png.69c6a231a755566dc85e1b509dd890ae.png

image.png.e1a29440d417defd3278b6749b0f2d2e.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bosque said:

This is from a guide made by THOG for Football Manager 2015. Is pinned in the tactics section of this forum. Is this information still true in the ME of FM22 or something changed apart from the change in names?

image.png.69c6a231a755566dc85e1b509dd890ae.png

image.png.e1a29440d417defd3278b6749b0f2d2e.png

Attacking style seems about right, except for defensive/counter inherently being more likely to counter attack. Defense side of things, I don't think mentality influences tackling intensity or your team automatically switching to using the offside trap at higher mentalities?

Some of it is perhaps worded a bit too aggressive though, even if you go Very Attacking you can still instruct your team to press even harder (base setting is only "slightly more often", go wider, more direct and so on. So, it's not an instant 100%, unlike what the text suggests.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1) What striker role would work well in a counter attacking 4141 DM? (He’d have 2xIW, Carrillo and mezzala behind him)

2) Having a 442 as an alternative tactic, would a TM and AF be the way to go? Counter attacking too. 


 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Englishhammer said:

1) What striker role would work well in a counter attacking 4141 DM? (He’d have 2xIW, Carrillo and mezzala behind him)

2) Having a 442 as an alternative tactic, would a TM and AF be the way to go? Counter attacking too. 


 

 

For lone striker formations, I would first decide whether I needed a striker on an ATTACK or a SUPPORT duty. Then work out from there what goes best with the rest of my roles.

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, DownTheFrank said:

is it a bad idea to have 3 completely different tactics being trained, even though they all suit the personnel ?

 

thanks in advance 

No, why would it be?

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 14/06/2022 at 19:15, st.cronin said:

Makes sense, thanks. I had a similar thought so have gone with a sweeper keeper and offside trap, thinking that would mitigate things. First two matches we won 1-0, so defensively it's holding up well. Not quite getting the offensive pressure I was hoping for, yet.

seems more suited to its own thread where you can post the tactic. Generally, in addition to the good advice here, I'd say to move the LOE at least up to standard because if you have smart fast defenders, you want to force the opposition into pressured passes which your defenders can steal and turn into attack.  Are your defenders good in the air?  If so, and if you're playing the right formation, you can play higher and prevent short GK distribution.  You don't need great pressing forwards to prevent that and make the opposition launch the ball upfield but if your forwards lack stamina, you might not want to tire them out

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 16/06/2022 at 13:46, Englishhammer said:

1) What striker role would work well in a counter attacking 4141 DM? (He’d have 2xIW, Carrillo and mezzala behind him)

2) Having a 442 as an alternative tactic, would a TM and AF be the way to go? Counter attacking too. 


 

 

Very hard to play that lone striker without anyone in the Attacking midfield strata.  Because you're looking for quick counter attacks, you'd want a player who can play off the shoulder and get onto long balls and crosses:  AF, poacher, maybe PF(a).

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 11/06/2022 at 12:14, bosque said:

I'm using this formation. I have talent down the middle and speed down the flanks.

I want to have the ball down the middle to hopefully draw opposition there and then release it to my speedy flank players.

Does it make sense to ask them to play very narrow?

image.png.451e730c05e7ec9090a7e08089903ab6.png

definitely can work.  I'd consider 'pass into space' and higher tempo.  It looks like you want your LW to be the primary scorer.  Playing extremely narrow might make opponents pack the middle which will block your IF's ability to cut inside and find space.  This will be very cross-heavy which often works very well (too well) in FM22. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, DownTheFrank said:

tactical familiarity is very low for the players

Get the team familiar with your main number one tactic

I believe the team do work on the other two tactics so familiarity will be built up but slower 

If your other two tactics are wildly different from your main tactic, then familiarity with those will be naturally low. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, glengarry224 said:

Very hard to play that lone striker without anyone in the Attacking midfield strata.  Because you're looking for quick counter attacks, you'd want a player who can play off the shoulder and get onto long balls and crosses:  AF, poacher, maybe PF(a).

Yeah I think you’re right. He gets all his balls from any of the Midfield 4, IW on attack mainly

Link to post
Share on other sites

Which role would you use for a mc whose job is to drop back get the ball from the defense and carry it up to pitch via either passing or dribbling ? (kind of like moussa dembele back in pochettino spurs days)

i think traits are the defining factor here but a dlp has a dribble less, mezzala doesnt look like he drops deep, so maybe a ap(su) with a comes deep to get the ball trait ? then again going with the prime eriksen-dembele-wanyama midfield eriksen was the main creator, so i dont think i want two playmakers. Could i get a mc(su) to this ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

(FM20) - Does anyone know of a quicker way to see goals for and goals against on the league table? Currently I click competitions -> league -> hover over overview -> stages 

Is there a way to find this page in 1 or 2 clicks? (I dont use any skins)

Edited by Speedyol
Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Fëanáro Míriel said:

Which role would you use for a mc whose job is to drop back get the ball from the defense and carry it up to pitch via either passing or dribbling ? (kind of like moussa dembele back in pochettino spurs days)

i think traits are the defining factor here but a dlp has a dribble less, mezzala doesnt look like he drops deep, so maybe a ap(su) with a comes deep to get the ball trait ? then again going with the prime eriksen-dembele-wanyama midfield eriksen was the main creator, so i dont think i want two playmakers. Could i get a mc(su) to this ?

DLP(s) does not have dribble less and you can give him the TI = dribble more.  AP is "Advanced" so likely won't work.

Link to post
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Fëanáro Míriel said:

Which role would you use for a mc whose job is to drop back get the ball from the defense and carry it up to pitch via either passing or dribbling ? (kind of like moussa dembele back in pochettino spurs days)

i think traits are the defining factor here but a dlp has a dribble less, mezzala doesnt look like he drops deep, so maybe a ap(su) with a comes deep to get the ball trait ? then again going with the prime eriksen-dembele-wanyama midfield eriksen was the main creator, so i dont think i want two playmakers. Could i get a mc(su) to this ?

Sounds like a Box to Box midfielder 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Shouldn't vision in GK be important in a long distribution game situation? I'm asking this because vision it's not trained in a long distribution training, only in short one. Shouldn't vision be more important in long distribution?

Edited by mikcheck
Link to post
Share on other sites

Em 23/06/2022 em 18:01, mikcheck disse:

Shouldn't vision in GK be important in a long distribution game situation? I'm asking this because vision it's not trained in a long distribution training, only in short one. Shouldn't vision be more important in long distribution?

some one pls?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This site uses cookies - We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.