Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you scout a whole competition? For example, the European football championship, as I want to scout all of the national teams over the summer.

I know how to find the competition, go to matches, and invididually scout each game, but this is tedious. I'd think there is a way to scout the competition as a whole very quickly.

Edited by 04texag

15 hours ago, 04texag said:

How do you scout a whole competition? For example, the European football championship, as I want to scout all of the national teams over the summer.

I know how to find the competition, go to matches, and invididually scout each game, but this is tedious. I'd think there is a way to scout the competition as a whole very quickly.

It's in your scouting assignments, set one to the competition 

3 hours ago, Johnny Ace said:

It's in your scouting assignments, set one to the competition 

Is this only possible if you are controlling scouting assignments? I couldn't find it when my Chief scout is doing it.

3 hours ago, axelmuller said:

According to the Hand of God guide, Play out of Defence makes all D and DM strata players to play shortest possible passes. But what happens if my DMC man has a Regista role?

It's still the case and its independend of the role. So your Regista will focus his passing more an ball reternation.

2 hours ago, fraudiola said:

differences between a F9, CF/s, DLF/s? 

Quite a lot, read the ingame descriptions, try out the roles

Basically:

F9 - drops very deep, runs into channels and supports

CF(S) - drops off and can do what he wants

DLF(S) - drops off, holds up, links up 

All 3 are brilliant roles 

Here's one that has puzzled me for a while...

I see in lots of downloadable tactics, and in many tactical discussion threads, "prevent short goalkeeper distribution" is ticked in lone-striker formations. Can a front 3-ish (in a 433) or a front 2 (in a 442 or diamond formation) really prevent short GK distribution when the GK has 4 or 5 players available for a short pass?

I can only imagine forward players exhausting themselves trying to cut out passes and pressing when they're obviously outnumbered.

Hope this is the right place. What position and role would you play this guy in? My tactics are flexible as I'm not too settled on a formation at the moment. In my eyes he lacks a little bit of finishing to play ST(C) as a Poacher, and lacks a lot of passing and vision to play as an AM(C) in any role other than shadow striker. I just can't decide! 

Happily, I bought him for £1.1m at the start of last season and my Union team are very much mid-table at the moment.

3e3922e6799ae3c9dbee513eb22d4021.jpg

17 minutes ago, sonnevillejr said:

Is a switch of play considered as a direct pass ?

In short: Yes. Switch of play is an attacking pattern thats used quite often in football to free up space for a different area on the pitch. Dragging the opposition to one side of the pitch to then switch the point of attack with tempo and (most likely) diagonal passes.

il y a une heure, CARRERA a dit :

In short: Yes. Switch of play is an attacking pattern thats used quite often in football to free up space for a different area on the pitch. Dragging the opposition to one side of the pitch to then switch the point of attack with tempo and (most likely) diagonal passes.

So if I play short but want an inverted winger to look for an inside forward on the opposite side, do I have to tell him to play more direct or ask him riskier passes?

55 minutes ago, sonnevillejr said:

So if I play short but want an inverted winger to look for an inside forward on the opposite side, do I have to tell him to play more direct or ask him riskier passes?

Its not that easy, because just telling a player to play more direct doesnt mean he will carry out a specific patter. A switch of play does often involve a 3rd player thats located more centrally. I've painted some possible patterns of swiching the point of attack into a random formation from google so dont look at the roles or whatever. 

However, what will help you to carry out switch of play patterns, is building up through the flanks to overload those areas of the pitch and therefore carry the opposition to that specific side. You need a patient attacking approach which allows your players to cut back to your central midfielders or defenders (those players should be allowed to play more direct passes to increase the likleyhood of those risky diagonal balls). WBIB might help with that patient approach. Have players who stay wide on the opposing flank, like Wingers or Wingbacks. Its also advised to play with a certain tempo, as the benefit of that specific pattern is to exploit a disorganised defence due to the switch.

Of course there is also a possibility to carry out that pattern with just two players being involved.

image.png.0449065da72b4c0b63e8948d24f4d17e.png

Edited by CARRERA

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/09/2022 at 17:34, eXistenZ said:

How reliable is ratemytactic app/site?

been tinkeirng on it while waiting for FM23 (as i dont have FM22)

The app's broken or they've changed something for the worse but it's usually decent for a base tactic or seeing potential flaws  

I've been trying to build a 4 at the back formation that changes to 3 at the back when in possession. I know it's possible to do this using a DM as half-back - he drops back and the defenders move wide.

Is there a way to do the same but using the fullbacks? To have DR - DCR - DCL or DCR - DCL - DL at the back, with the central defender as wide as the fullback.

Thanks!

4 ore fa, jengaehassim ha scritto:

I've been trying to build a 4 at the back formation that changes to 3 at the back when in possession. I know it's possible to do this using a DM as half-back - he drops back and the defenders move wide.

Is there a way to do the same but using the fullbacks? To have DR - DCR - DCL or DCR - DCL - DL at the back, with the central defender as wide as the fullback.

Thanks!

I made this on FM20 and explained it in this post 

Defensive phase needs to be improved but you can get great results

22 hours ago, Andrew Marines said:

I made this on FM20 and explained it in this post 

Defensive phase needs to be improved but you can get great results

Nice, thanks!

When I tried using the fullback on defend + Ball Playing defender, I felt the CB was not going wide enough, so the team was kinda bent to the side of the fullback. Might try to tweak a bit more

7 ore fa, mikcheck ha scritto:

Did you guys ever tried "stay wider" PI in a striker, using a 2 striker formation? I tried in one of my strikers in a 442 formation, but (at least on my eyes) I don't see much of a difference using it or not. 

Yeah, i set it when i use a CM-a in a 442. It doesn't work really well but it makes the connection with the flank a bit more easier

The tactics and training guides pinned to the top are all 2-3 years old, or older!! Especially training. All very informative and have always been a good read. Not out of date but could be refreshed or less of them pinned maybe? Time for a little bit of housekeeping maybe. Cleons latest book certainly should?

Anyone of these users working on new stuff out of interest? Would be keen to know if any of our favourites planning on working on new stuff for FM23. 

9 saat önce, fraudiola said:

which attacking duty ST drops the deepest? 

Treq of course. He might drop even deeper than F9 from time to time since the role has ball orientation.

DLF on attack doesn't have "Get Further Forward" locked in. So DLFat doesn't actually drop deep much but will be less willing to bomb forward compared to other attacking roles. Due to "Hold Up Ball"  he indirectly creates overlapping movement by other players.

Is there a guide about build up from the back? I get confused with all the options and I feel it doesn't matter how good my players are or what setting I use for build up it ends up on a back pass from my CB and then the GK one-touch hoof it.

6 hours ago, bosque said:

Is there a guide about build up from the back? I get confused with all the options and I feel it doesn't matter how good my players are or what setting I use for build up it ends up on a back pass from my CB and then the GK one-touch hoof it.

If you play with a back four, asking the GK to distribute to full backs only will probably yield good results, they are the most difficult to get pressed imho.

On 29/09/2022 at 08:15, mikcheck said:

Did you guys ever tried "stay wider" PI in a striker, using a 2 striker formation? I tried in one of my strikers in a 442 formation, but (at least on my eyes) I don't see much of a difference using it or not. 

Retraining as AMR or AML helps a lot with that.

I don't know if it's the same case with FM22, but are long throws overpowered in FM21 (the version I'm playing) or in general, in your opinion? I just noticed that I have a player with good attribute and I've scored 2 goals from long throws in just 1 match.

Edited by mikcheck

48 minutes ago, mikcheck said:

I don't know if it's the same case with FM22, but are long throws overpowered in FM21 (the version I'm playing) or in general, in your opinion? I just noticed that I have a player with good attribute and I've scored 2 goals from long throws in just 1 match.

Yeah, I think they were one year and got sorted in 22 (if memory serves) 

I don't buy every FM.  In FM17, the PPM of "Likes to beat the offside trap" was a nightmare IMHO.  A striker (IIRC, Harry Kane had it) with it would rack up 100+ offsides in a PL season.

In FM21 I'm interested in a regen but he has that PPM.  Is it any better in recent versions?  I don't want to spank the transfer budget on him and find I just tear my hair out...

1 hour ago, Harpoon76 said:

I don't buy every FM.  In FM17, the PPM of "Likes to beat the offside trap" was a nightmare IMHO.  A striker (IIRC, Harry Kane had it) with it would rack up 100+ offsides in a PL season.

In FM21 I'm interested in a regen but he has that PPM.  Is it any better in recent versions?  I don't want to spank the transfer budget on him and find I just tear my hair out...

It's a good trait for an out and out striker and if they rate well in Anticipation and Decisions (OTB and Acceleration wouldn't hurt either) the player should make the right call more often than not 

51 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

It's a good trait for an out and out striker and if they rate well in Anticipation and Decisions (OTB and Acceleration wouldn't hurt either) the player should make the right call more often than not 

Thanks - will review his stats again and have a think.

Question about player development: Is it possible that players are on a certain "development" path that they can not stray too far from? I spent 5 years (16 to 21) training what I wanted to be my new wingback. His crossing went from 5 to 7 despite constant individual training and lots of "Attacking - Overload" sessions. Meanwhile his other stats skyrocketed. Or my goalkeeper who grew from 12 Reach/Jumping to 20 each and got some nice general goalkeeping attributes despite me training him as a SKd with "Distribution - Short" focus and at least one, mostly two weekly Distribution sessions.

I see players aged 21 to 24 mostly incrasing through individual training and only minor increases about everywhere else. Is that like that from the beginning, only masked by the general rapid development? Players have a relatively clear progression and we only fine-tune it in some places?

Using a 2 striker system, the one you want to be the main scorer, will you use him on the wrong side of his preferred foot? A left footed striker on the right side for example. 

Is that something you pay attention to? 

Thanks

Edited by mikcheck

20 hours ago, mikcheck said:

Using a 2 striker system, the one you want to be the main scorer, will you use him on the wrong side of his preferred foot? A left footed striker on the right side for example. 

Is that something you pay attention to? 

Thanks

If you tell them to "stay wider" it helps, the play as half -strikers, half inverted wingers. If they have high strength or balance though, it might be better to put them in their "natural" foot, I've noticed it works well in this ME. So it depends on how you want to play.

10 horas atrás, Poison disse:

If you tell them to "stay wider" it helps, the play as half -strikers, half inverted wingers. If they have high strength or balance though, it might be better to put them in their "natural" foot, I've noticed it works well in this ME. So it depends on how you want to play.

I play 2 upfront. The creative one has the instruction to stay wider and roam, while the finisher one plays as a PF with no instructions. He's playing on the side of his natural foot.  Almost reaching the end of the season and he scored 32 so far, so cant really be mad about it. 

Edited by mikcheck

I don't know if it's the right place for this...

For young players that I want to keep in my squad and don't want to loan out till they become CTPs and aren't strong enough to have some playing time with the senior team, for their developement it's more effective to play in competitive U19 matches or in friendlies i.e. in a B team against stronger opponents?

Edited by Fox-7-

3 hours ago, Fox-7- said:

I don't know if it's the right place for this...

For young players that I want to keep in my squad and don't want to loan out till they become CTPs and aren't strong enough to have some playing time with the senior team, for their developement it's more effective to play in competitive U19 matches or in friendlies i.e. in a B team against stronger opponents?

For player development it’s never better to play in a friendly vs a competitive match.  Players don’t try as hard or put as much effort into friendlies as they do in competitive matches (it’s in the game coding).

Saludos: 

I often play 442 in Lower leagues, level 9 currently with Manchester Central.

How do I make my Left and Right Mids to return diagonally to our defensive areas, especially the ones in the weak flank? 

How do I make sure they are well positioned ("goal side, between defender and goal") while defending the "static" attack of the opposition?  (Sometimes they are in the wrong side of the attacker, closer to the sideline than the defender while being away from the ball).

Thank you, gracias!

11 minutes ago, AngeloBenito1974 said:

Saludos: 

I often play 442 in Lower leagues, level 9 currently with Manchester Central.

How do I make my Left and Right Mids to return diagonally to our defensive areas, especially the ones in the weak flank? 

How do I make sure they are well positioned ("goal side, between defender and goal") while defending the "static" attack of the opposition?  (Sometimes they are in the wrong side of the attacker, closer to the sideline than the defender while being away from the ball).

Thank you, gracias!

You might want to to start a new thread, preferably with a screenshot of your tactic for your questions :thup:

Playing in a lower block with a 442, how importat is in your opinion for the 2 midfielders to have good positioning, bravery and tackling (even more in this case, as there's only 2 midfielders in the middle) ?

Edited by mikcheck