Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

2 hours ago, Speedyol said:

Playing 4-2-3-1; If your AMC in injured, and you don't have a backup AMC player, what do you change? Do you play 2 strikers or 3 midfielders, or just a MC/ST player in that AMC position with almost no familiarity?

Depends how long's left of the game!! If there's like 10 minutes left nothing wrong with throwing a striker or midfielder in there. I'd probably do the same if there was longer left :lol: I don't think I'd change shape because of it 

• Replies 17.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Player interactions

image.png.ed1c6381d331e34e470d79ecea9ccee1.png

How does individual player discussions impact/effect individuals? Can they lead to slight adjustments in playing styles?

For example, if a winger scored a goal and you praised them for scoring through the post match comments or praising recent form if they went on a little scoring run, would this lead to them attempting a few more shots over say looking for the pass/cross in future?

If a player has low professionalism. (The case I'm thinking of is someone with a Slack personality so 1), does criticising their training performance actually stop their professionalism increasing? If the player gets the hump every time I criticise him for this, (and he very much does), does it do more harm than good? (I have now stopped criticizing this, but no benefits yet).

Also, will this player's professionalism never increase. Mentoring hasn't moved the needle. Is he a lost cause?

Edited by vikeologist

2 hours ago, MattyLewis11 said:

Player interactions

How does individual player discussions impact/effect individuals? Can they lead to slight adjustments in playing styles?

For example, if a winger scored a goal and you praised them for scoring through the post match comments or praising recent form if they went on a little scoring run, would this lead to them attempting a few more shots over say looking for the pass/cross in future?

I don't think the game is that advanced yet. I think the interactions are there just to improve players moral and nothing more

3 hours ago, MattyLewis11 said:

Player interactions

No

3 hours ago, MattyLewis11 said:

Player interactions

If my striker or winger has a 6.3 or 6.2 rating and is subbed off I often talk to them and say "you didnt perform well last match, try to do better" or something like that via warn player -> critizise last match performance.

He will very often score in the next match or at least get close to a 7 rating.

3 minutes ago, Speedyol said:

If my striker or winger has a 6.3 or 6.2 rating and is subbed off I often talk to them and say "you didnt perform well last match, try to do better" or something like that via warn player -> critizise last match performance.

He will very often score in the next match or at least get close to a 7 rating.

I wonder if anyone else has experienced similar behavioural trends when using the player discussion (praise/criticise).

I can't believe they are linked purely to moral and would like to think they impact performance even if minutiae. 

13 minutes ago, MattyLewis11 said:

I wonder if anyone else has experienced similar behavioural trends when using the player discussion (praise/criticise).

I can't believe they are linked purely to moral and would like to think they impact performance even if minutiae. 

I have a policy of when the team is picking up good results, I find a player who has been playing poorly and criticise their form. This has a clear effect on their morale, (and I would hope prevents from complacency) and I do the opposite when the team is playing badly, where the effect on morale is probably more important.

There seems to be a general assumption that morale affects performance. i don't think this praise / criticism is entirely pointless. However, I usually don't praise individual match performances. If you know anything about me, you'll know that I fine players for bad performances though.

SI have said that performing well in important matches increases that 'important match' attribute. It would be good if praising said player could accentuate that.

If fining players for bad performances affects their attributes (and it does. A LOT!), then it does make you wonder whether praising can positively affect attributes. if it does though, I've never seen anyone provide evidence.

I might look to see if I can find any increases after doing this. I doubt there's anything to find though.

Edited by vikeologist

Regarding Training Tactical Familiarity and training in general; (FM20)

Does it matter who is selected to play between matches?
will the backup players become more familiar if they are selected to play between matches?
Will they gain less familiarity with the tactic if I Clear the entire team selection?

Em 22/02/2022 em 15:37, Johnny Ace disse:

As already said, yes, you want him to hold position but he wants to get forward whenever possible, it's conflicting because he'll look to do what you don't want him to do :thup: 

Thanks. Actually, him having that trait it's what I want, let me explain. I feel that if I use a support duty from the DMC position, the player will go to forward for my liking and sometimes I need him to be deeper to recycle possession and he isn't there because he's too advanced. 

So I thought that if he has that trait and since he has good decision attribute, change him to a defend duty would balance those forward runs. Does that make sense?

Edited by mikcheck

2 hours ago, branco2511 said:

If he can dribble: Likes to round keeper

LOL round the keeper works in FM? 

2 hours ago, Johnny Ace said:

You could do but the finish will still be poor

thought i read somewhere with shoots with power, theres a chance the keeper gets a touch on it but it'll still go through cause of the shot power

3 minutes ago, fraudiola said:

thought i read somewhere with shoots with power, theres a chance the keeper gets a touch on it but it'll still go through cause of the shot power

Yeah, but he's still gotta hit the target first :brock:

another question, i got tempo maxed out and distribute to CB ticked so im guessing this is whats making my keeper instantly roll the ball to CBs even though oppositions are still in the box? do i tick slow down pace to counter act this or would that take away from counters too? 

On 23/02/2022 at 14:01, MattyLewis11 said:

I'd like to think the same. Last game I praised my winger, saying something like "I like that you were more direct in your approach" and his reply was "THanks I'll try/continue to be more direct".

You'd like to think a quote like that does somehow impact his performance

24 minutes ago, Dereka said:

I'd like to think the same. Last game I praised my winger, saying something like "I like that you were more direct in your approach" and his reply was "THanks I'll try/continue to be more direct".

You'd like to think a quote like that does somehow impact his performance

I completely agree mate and am hopeful that someone from SI will be able to clarify for us.

Coaches/Ass Man - In their hidden stats (which are obviously only able to be viewed pregame or via ingame editor) there is a attribute called "Hardness of training".. 

Is this how hard a coach/ass man will push their players during training? Or does this stat only matter for managers? 

5 minutes ago, Nick_CB said:

Tries killer balls often. Could this be one of the reasons my playmaker is having low passing accuracy?

Yes. Playmakers are not meant to have super high pass accuracy since they are there to try difficult passes 

10 hours ago, Skywalk3r83 said:

How can I improve my 4231 tactic? It’s going well in the Dutch league but I’m struggling in Europe a bit. Would love to hear some feedback.

I suggest you open a new thread for more specific advice, but generally speaking, your tactic is probably leaving you exposed against better teams. You're defending in a very aggressive manner (Positive 4-2-3-1 combined w/ Much Higher LOA, More Urgent pressing, Counter-Press, Tighter Marking). The attacking part of your tactic is quite risky as well (both WBsu's bombing forward regularly on Positive Mentality, Counter, Pass Into Space, Higher Tempo).

11 hours ago, Skywalk3r83 said:

How can I improve my 4231 tactic? It’s going well in the Dutch league but I’m struggling in Europe a bit. Would love to hear some feedback. 

As @Zemahhsaid it's probably best to open a separate thread but you could also look as these  Useful hints on roles and duties in 4-2-3-1

7 hours ago, Zemahh said:

I suggest you open a new thread for more specific advice, but generally speaking, your tactic is probably leaving you exposed against better teams. You're defending in a very aggressive manner (Positive 4-2-3-1 combined w/ Much Higher LOA, More Urgent pressing, Counter-Press, Tighter Marking). The attacking part of your tactic is quite risky as well (both WBsu's bombing forward regularly on Positive Mentality, Counter, Pass Into Space, Higher Tempo).

Thanks! Will have a look at those tips. 

7 hours ago, Hovis Dexter said:

As @Zemahhsaid it's probably best to open a separate thread but you could also look as these  Useful hints on roles and duties in 4-2-3-1

Thanks for the link about the 4231👍🏻

What team mentality do you use best if you want your team to defend aggressively? Pressing to the max and get stuck in are given settings, but I was wondering whether a more defensive mentality would make a player inclined to be more 'brutal' - or would that count as risky and would the opposite, a more attacking setting, create some ruthless defending, above the earlier named team instructions?

On 28/02/2022 at 15:58, Kcinnay said:

What team mentality do you use best if you want your team to defend aggressively? Pressing to the max and get stuck in are given settings, but I was wondering whether a more defensive mentality would make a player inclined to be more 'brutal' - or would that count as risky and would the opposite, a more attacking setting, create some ruthless defending, above the earlier named team instructions?

Well, Positive and above will push your team up & increase pressing (even though it's not shown great, visually in the tactic screen), more defensive mentalities, the opposite

To make a team more brutal, look for Aggression, have a few high Aggression players in your team & they will stand out  

In Medical Center, the overview from my Head of Sport Science says:

"Injury Risk is heightened due to low Match Sharpness"

In training schedules, the only schedule which is listed to gain sharpness is Match Practice.
What's the other method in training (excluded a match-game and match practice) so players can be more sharpness?

Thank you! 

On 05/03/2022 at 01:30, CaptCanuck said:

Is there a way tactically/via PIs/TIs/Traits to mitigate the brutal 1:1 finishing?

WBIB improve things, Place shots, etc...? Thanks :-)

Quick answer: I'd put it down to player quality & remember even the best strikers in World football, can still miss good chances 

Is it just me or do false nine's simply nto drop deep enough or recieve the ball often enough on this game. My false nine is completing less than 20 passes a game even though he has comes deep to get the ball ppm and I have 60% possession 

5 hours ago, Johnny Ace said:

Quick answer: I'd put it down to player quality & remember even the best strikers in World football, can still miss good chances 

Darn. I was hoping there was something similar to blocked crossed in FM21 (add cross from deep and less often PIs) to lessen the impact of it in the ME.

The %s are where I would expect them, so it's not that, it really is the annoying ME behaviour that is making FM22 not that great for me. Thanks for replying :thup:

16 hours ago, _mxrky said:

Is it just me or do false nine's simply nto drop deep enough or recieve the ball often enough on this game. My false nine is completing less than 20 passes a game even though he has comes deep to get the ball ppm and I have 60% possession 

Top of my head - have a look at passing maps - Generally from my experience F9's do drop deep, but often get isolated and there is no way of easily getting the ball into them. They can also run into traffic if they drop deep into an area already occupied by a DM without another attacking player to take eyes off of the F9. This leads to a lot of circular possession throughout your defenders and midfield without truly progressing the ball.

11 hours ago, CaptCanuck said:

Darn. I was hoping there was something similar to blocked crossed in FM21 (add cross from deep and less often PIs) to lessen the impact of it in the ME.

The %s are where I would expect them, so it's not that, it really is the annoying ME behaviour that is making FM22 not that great for me. Thanks for replying :thup:

Keep an eye on the xG too - sometimes the ME doesn't do a great job of indicating how simple or difficult the chance actually was. I've seen 1 v 1's missed and the xG only be 0.05ish and others scored that looked harder but the xG went up by 0.40.

Obviously the ME didn't do a great job of illustrating exactly how difficult the first chance was and how easy the 2nd chance was.

On 07/03/2022 at 09:23, fc.cadoni said:

In Medical Center, the overview from my Head of Sport Science says:

"Injury Risk is heightened due to low Match Sharpness"

In training schedules, the only schedule which is listed to gain sharpness is Match Practice.
What's the other method in training (excluded a match-game and match practice) so players can be more sharpness?

Thank you! 

The only way to gain match sharpness is to play in matches - use them off the bench to help get them match fit, or let them play 45 mins for the u23's/B's/2nd Team to help them build fitness.

On 07/03/2022 at 11:44, _mxrky said:

It sure is an interesting role & I've been playing around with it just lately. Didn't specifically look at his numbers though but the tactic as a whole was working out  

It's not an quick answer though & you might want to start up a thread so the community can have a good look at your player & system :thup:

• SI Staff
On 07/03/2022 at 11:44, _mxrky said:

2 hours ago, Johnny Ace said:

It sure is an interesting role & I've been playing around with it just lately. Didn't specifically look at his numbers though but the tactic as a whole was working out  

It's not an quick answer though & you might want to start up a thread so the community can have a good look at your player & system :thup:

Agree with Johnny here. I would be interested to see people's thoughts and experience with this.

30 minutes ago, Taunton said:

Does preset OIs work? I dont see them replicated in the players OI in a match.

You have to switch them from individual to positional before every game. You can do that by selecting all players and clicking the little notch next to players' names.

Hi, my team captain is giving me headaches. Starting in 2021 in the 3rd german league, he is a 27 yo DM/CD with 3 1/2 stars in both roles. He is small and slow though, and in his first season he was constantly the worst player in the defense, really struggling to win a place in the team. In season two, now 2nd Bundesliga, he made only 15 appearances with an average rating of 6.59, despite the team having a ridiculous performance of 6th place. So, i don't like him. I don't want to play him, yet, he is a team leader and really helpful as a teamleader, he commands the team really well has been easy to please. Now he want playing time though or go out on a loan. He agreed to being a fringe player and his contract his running out end of this third season, so i am expecting his exodus from the team to not be easy. How do i do that and how much is this gonna cost me? I obviously want him gone, he has 2 1/2 stars now in positions i have very good alternatives, and i dread the moment he starts realizing that i am not gonna give him a new contract. I will not be able to sell him, he earns 200k for his very bad form/rating, so nobodies will want to pay him that, i am honestly thinking about simply release him on a free just to have him gone now. But i have never experienced what happens when the team leader is forced to leave. How much is this gonna affect the team?  There are other players ready to take on team leader, so, that's not an issue, but i am scared.

^Get rid of him as soon after the season ends as possible and then you have the entire preseason to recover from any morale hit.

Come the start of the next season, assuming you have a decent replacement as captain it shouldn't bother the squad at all, it really shouldn't. I've gotten rid of a bunch of well regarded Captains and by the start of the league the team dynamics are as good as I'd expect them had we kept the guys.

The one thing though, is if he was a player who could always talk to and shut up a complaining player, those guys are absolutely brilliant to have in keeping the squad in order over a season. So it might be worth trying other guys as your current season runs down - when a player asks for a new contract or more playing time - to see if you have a natural heir.

Interestingly enough, i forscienced the whole thing and....welp. After the first match of the new season, i just set him to release. Cost me 200k, but he just disappeared. No morale hit, no negative player reaction, he is one of the many "board dislikes how you lose players" entries, but they are being drowned by success on the field and good incoming deals. So while i am weary that his replacement might not be able to talk the team out of issues as much, i am very happy that he will not ever get to the point of being unhappy and causing a ruckus. Dodged a bullet.

Second question. Is there a bug with youth players and what they are asking for? I have had several 18 and 19 year olds in my amateur squad, that were considered future prospect and wanted a new deal. They were far away from the main team though. When i tried to negotiate with them, they asked for squad player or even regular starter and when i went for Breakthrough Prospect they either flat out walked away or asked for wages that i could pay my better players at the time. There are certainly some players that are a bit more greedy or delusional about their skills, but this seemed far off for that. I got the feeling they might have talked about playing time promises of my amateurs? If that's a thing, how do i see which team the promise is for?