Football Manager 2012 Demo *OFFICIAL* Feedback Thread

I really like the enhanced coach reports, but I feel like they could be made even better with a slight change.

In the example below, we can see that my Assistant Manager highly rates Yuki Abe in the DM position and that he helpfully suggests that his best role in that position would be a Deep Lying Playmaker (support).

I believe that my staff should be able to list and use the star rating system (identical to the Ability Comparison List (B) does) to rank the best 4 or 5 roles he would be capable of filling in the selected position.

They should be able to tell me they rate his at 4 stars for Deep Lying Playmaker (support), 3.5 stars for Deep Lying Playmaker (defend), 3.5 stars for Defensive Midfielder (support), 3 stars for Defensive Midfielder (defend) etc..... for example.

coachreport.png

It would also be advantageous to implement the use of the roles in the Team Depth screen as well.

As can be seen below it generically ranks the players by position ability, but there are huge differences in specific roles within certain positions. A striker can be a poacher or a Target Man (support) for example, which one player could be exceptional in one role, but poor in another.

It would be extremely helpful if where I have highlighted (A) in the screenshot below you could click and access all of the roles for that position and choose one, and it would then show the Team Depth opinion of your backroom staff for that particular role.

strengthoverview.png

Perhaps better again for that would be to simply list all of the possible roles, instead of all the possible positions.

This way you can easily at a glance see which roles you currently have players very adept at playing and create a tactic to include it (or identify which desired roles are poorly manned and take action).

(Adding roles to Assistant Manager Loan reports would be great too, so you can ask for them to find loan targets who fit the Anchor Man role archtype, or a Deep Lying Forward, or Defensive Winger, so that the do not return players who are miles away from fitting the role you are after)

--Ben--

Absolutely great ideas, Ben. I'd also like to see the ability to filter player roles by 'best role is' e.g. 'Target Man'. 'Striker' is so 1990s...

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know what the answer to this is going to be.

Is there any chance of a smaller demo being released? 2.7GB is a fairly large download, based on previous versions of demos (Vanilla previously was about 700-800MB) I assume it is that large as it has badges, etc... in the download which I do not want/need to download to try the game out. It is possible for me to download a demo that size but it will take so long that I would rather not have to. I won't be buying the game full price at release without trying out the game so if the download is going to take 12 hours or so I won't bother with the demo and buy the game when the price has dropped in January/February.

Who are you managing?

I am managing Mansfield town.

I keep offering the max and the keep rejecting it, the Alan Lord i signed sempt to just "give in" and accepted the rest i carried on and on untill he got annoyed.

I am managing Mansfield town.

I keep offering the max and the keep rejecting it, the Alan Lord i signed sempt to just "give in" and accepted the rest i carried on and on untill he got annoyed.

It is set in the DB that coaches at Mansfield should only be on Part-Time contracts. I presume that is the reason behind your limit resources for this role.

One for Kriss (he'll enjoy this!).

This is my latest rant on Steam having downloaded the demo:

"That was the fastest & easiest download of a demo of FM that I ever had to endure! Rah rah rah. Going to order the digital download now - GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!"

-not quite what I was expecting!.

PS. Love the rectangular team name buttons, rounded corners are so (FM)2007.

PPS. Was right about 6th October..... ;-)

LOOOOL!!! Don't forget to check out the Railroad Tycoon pack:D

Here are my impressions:

The match engine alone makes this worth buying. So many small things I noticed that have been improved:

1) Its so smooth now and the general passages of play are far more intellegent then before. I noticed that in my first 2 friendly's things seemed slow, but then I realised that it was a lack of fitness. Roll foward to the Charity Shield and the first few league games and the pace is relentless

2) Animations for passing, shooting, different types of finishing, goalkeeping all majorly improved.

3) Noting players showing great vision compared to last year. While in FM 11 you consistantly had strickers blasting shots from difficult angles, I have now twice seen a player lay it off to another where a shooting opportunity was available - brilliant

4) Players actually close down and tackle properly with far more frequency than last year. If I have a ball winning midfielder he charges around intercepting and tackling, where as last year you had so many occasions where the opposiation would get a clear run at your defence and nobody would close down

5) Watch your fullbacks and wingers - their play is far more dynamic, skillfull than last year. Wingers and fullbacks seem to drop the shoulder and blast past opponants while in tight situations where last year they would not have taken the player on in such a tight space

6) Players are using their PPM's by default - I'm Man Utd and I am playing exactly as Utd play IRL.

7) Finishing - I've several different types of finish instead of the usual blast it or tap it of last year. Players sinking it over the keeper, or the low rifled shot into the corner

8) AI are way more intellegent - before I got the impression they were not using player roles and other non-default tactical settings - this year I see players playing in roles that I know have been tweaked ie: Deep Lying playmakers, wingers that cut inside, Trequarterista's etc

7) Short passing has been greatly improved and shows real intellegence - some great one touch stuff and flicks.

K

I can't ask my assistant to pick the team from the Tactics Menu. No, I have to go all the way back to the squad menu outside the pre-game if I want to do that.

It's in the far right "Selection" menu that is located over the pitch on the Tactics Overview. Alternatively you can {right-click} an empty area of the pitch to get it to display.

• Administrators
I can't ask my assistant to pick the team from the Tactics Menu. No, I have to go all the way back to the squad menu outside the pre-game if I want to do that.

- It's under the Selection "Choose..." button on the pitch.

There's been absolutely no change to the finance or board interactions either.

- There has been, actually, in terms of what you can say has changed.

The font seems different for the worse as well. Change for change's sake.

- The font has changed but the font rendering has massively improved. You should be able to change fonts in skins and the fonts will look much better in custom skins this year.

A-League has been ignored again. This much was made clear in the "Licensing" blog.

A-League hasn't been ignored, far from it. If you have league specific issues with A-League you can air your issues in this thread.

Post this information in the Data Issues forum; http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/238-Football-Manager-2012-Data-Issues

For Man United specific data issues post in the Manchester United Data Issues thread; http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/276445-ENGLAND-(Official)-Manchester-United-Data-Issues

This is not true

Valencia can be right abck - I've played him their 3 occasions and he was dark green in the position

Also, Welbeck is a beast in the game - 7 goals in 6 for me

Small bug: When I start a new game with Liverpool I get an email on transfer update. It mentions the players on loan but it does not mention Aquilani. Checked Aquilani's profile and he is on loan to Milan but it is not mentioned in the email.

Edit: after rereading the email it says there are six players on loan but it only mentions five. Is it intentionally set to only mention five at most or are all players on loan supposed to be mentioned.

The "massively dominate game and still lose" issue is still in the game. My 3rd game with Man City (having improved their defence in the transfer market) I had 24 shots to 6, game ended 2-3 Norwich with them scoring 3 goals after half-time to come back from 2-0 down.

A-League has been ignored again. This much was made clear in the "Licensing" blog.

Be patient with the match. You have taken a team with already loads of new players and added more. Man City aren't exactly known for their squad togetherness, and you've played a team with few new players who are newly promoted and really fired up to play Man City. Narrow unlucky defeats to small clubs happen for a number of reasons, and a glitch in the game is pretty low down on the list.

Why are national managers still not paid a salary like in real life?

Seems so odd to me that when I manage a nation I seem to be doing it for free, while when at a club like Weston-super-Mare for example I do get paid a salary.

sometimes, when i offer a contract, i would like to start from 1 pound and let the player raise it to a level which is lesser than the initial wage demand, but in certain cases, i can't do so, the wage area is red ( board restriction, so can't click "suggest terms" ) and i can only choose from the choice given, eg, 475 pound , i can't choose any other. Is this a bug?

I have the breaking strain of a wet kit kat. I promised myself I wasn't going to buy this year until least final patch (the Steam issue is bad bad bad, but enough about that...). I hold my hands up, I gave in to that promise by 9am this morning!!

Curiosity killed the cat, and I'm supposed to be working from home doing dull as ditch paper crap, but d/l the demo instead. :(

Have to say I'm very, very impressed. Mainly with the new user interface. Nothing huge to highlight, but lots of little things that just make it smoother/easier. I like the new choices for player interaction alot.

I guess I'm taking leave on release day and will be down at Asda by 9-30am (barring no ground breaker bugs that I've not seen, but others might...ever the pessimist that I am :D ).

It is set in the DB that coaches at Mansfield should only be on Part-Time contracts. I presume that is the reason behind your limit resources for this role.

I shall report this in the Data issues forum as they are a full time professional club looking to return to the football league.

One thing I did notice and others seem to was the font and graphics were fuzzy-ish.

I went in to 'preferences' and whacked up the resolution as high as it would go and it's a noticable improvement. The default was not great.

I do have a brand new computer, but a monitor that is 3-4 years old though.

Oh well. I guess FM12 doesn't work on my old MacBook as I don't have a fancy graphics card, not that I ever used the 3d match screen.

Never mind, goodbye FM...

how old is your macbook? think i might be having the same problem, but have been able to run the last few versions of fm fine (although without 3d match engine), so why the change this year?

Has anyone seen Darjo Srna (the Ukranian FB). He went off the boil a bit on last few versions imho...but his attributes are monster on my demo. Man City just bought him.

Hes been over rated for about 3 versions now god knows why

Absolutely great ideas, Ben. I'd also like to see the ability to filter player roles by 'best role is' e.g. 'Target Man'. 'Striker' is so 1990s...

I think there should be some work that manager should perform else if the AI is doing all the team selection for you what are you doing? Just a thought.

I think in the past (must be on a thread somewhere there is an explanation of the typical FM attributes that should be considered for a specific role. try a search as this may help you

Cheers Mr P

how old is your macbook? think i might be having the same problem, but have been able to run the last few versions of fm fine (although without 3d match engine), so why the change this year?

Log the issue in the tech issues thread, you may get better help there

I think there should be some work that manager should perform else if the AI is doing all the team selection for you what are you doing? Just a thought.

I think in the past (must be on a thread somewhere there is an explanation of the typical FM attributes that should be considered for a specific role. try a search as this may help you

Cheers Mr P

It may well have been one of my threads :)

I have created spreadsheets and SQL based reports for others (primarily in FML, but in FM too) showing the % relevancy of a player to the roles available to him based on his attributes.

(Can dig out old links if FML board links still work and interested. Have been thinking about dusting them off and improving again for FM12 but the areas mentioned in my post are getting closer to being very helpful and realistic in the game)

Absolutely the manager should have final say and decisions, but it seems unrealistic to me that an Assistant Manager (or scout for that matter, I have Tord Grip at my disposal at Leicester currently) would come back and say XXXXXX is a good generic striker, 2nd best in the squad when it is ignoring the roles I deploy in my tactic.

He may be great as a poacher, but garbage if I play with a Target Man (Michael Owen?), rendering his recommendation unhelpful.

Perhaps the number of role ratings supplied by the AM / scout is determined by the quality of the AM / scout?

Let's not forget, the Assistant Manager (or Scout)'s recommendations are based on their skills and qualities too, so they are not gospel, they just add to the 'fuzzier' role-playing side of the game which some prefer to play as opposed to the stat / attribute driven min-maxing (not that either approach is right, wrong, better or worse)

• SI Staff
Is a Bug?

well

Playing with Granada, they have affiliations with Udinese, but there's something strange going on, all players UDINESE (Mother Club) accepted the move to Granada (satellite club), including Antonio Di Natale, the star of the team

This does not seem normal

Sorry english

I have tried reproducing this internally and cannot get it to reproduce.

Could you please upload a save game from just before Di Natale moves to Granada to the FTP - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/276528-FTP-Instructions

Cheers,

Ben

Here are my impressions:

The match engine alone makes this worth buying. So many small things I noticed that have been improved:

1) Its so smooth now and the general passages of play are far more intellegent then before. I noticed that in my first 2 friendly's things seemed slow, but then I realised that it was a lack of fitness. Roll foward to the Charity Shield and the first few league games and the pace is relentless

2) Animations for passing, shooting, different types of finishing, goalkeeping all majorly improved.

3) Noting players showing great vision compared to last year. While in FM 11 you consistantly had strickers blasting shots from difficult angles, I have now twice seen a player lay it off to another where a shooting opportunity was available - brilliant

4) Players actually close down and tackle properly with far more frequency than last year. If I have a ball winning midfielder he charges around intercepting and tackling, where as last year you had so many occasions where the opposiation would get a clear run at your defence and nobody would close down

5) Watch your fullbacks and wingers - their play is far more dynamic, skillfull than last year. Wingers and fullbacks seem to drop the shoulder and blast past opponants while in tight situations where last year they would not have taken the player on in such a tight space

6) Players are using their PPM's by default - I'm Man Utd and I am playing exactly as Utd play IRL.

7) Finishing - I've several different types of finish instead of the usual blast it or tap it of last year. Players sinking it over the keeper, or the low rifled shot into the corner

8) AI are way more intellegent - before I got the impression they were not using player roles and other non-default tactical settings - this year I see players playing in roles that I know have been tweaked ie: Deep Lying playmakers, wingers that cut inside, Trequarterista's etc

7) Short passing has been greatly improved and shows real intellegence - some great one touch stuff and flicks.

This is both the best and worst post i´ve read about this game. Best because it really makes me want to see all those things during the games. Worst because it will make me abandon my epic save I have with Viola.

i don't no if this has been mentioned but i started a save with celtic and they have baba from maritmo joining in january hes not joining in real life they tried to sign him in august but think they couldn't get a work permit an said they might try again in janaury so no deal has been done.

Right having previously championed Steam I am now furious. The games on it don't run despite all my drivers being up to date and having followed all recommended guidelines for fixes. I have no problem playing games like Starcraft II on high graphics so the fact I can't play this demo is a farce. I have spoken to many people about this problem and all have said Steam is awful and many others have had the same problem. So I would ask that a solution be found as a lot of people are not happy about Steam. It's a joke and unless something changes I simply cannot buy the game. It runs on my crappy laptop but not my purpose built gaming PC. Sorry but that is a joke.

When you find a solution to your problem will you revert back to this:-

I'm finding the complaints about Steam hilarious here by the way. Because dedicated PC gamers like myself use it for everything and it's brilliant but I suppose people don't like change/what they don't know. Just give it a chance folks it's good and easy to use

or will you show some respect to people who find themselves with problems similar to yours, and keep "clever", "I'm alright Jack" posts to yourself.

just to say cant get 3d match as it is greyed out.....doesnt seem to be too many answers as to why, did not have trouble with fm11, 10 or 9....looks like my comp which has intel g33/g31 chipset is just not good enough......looks like i will be sticking with fm11.....im very annoyed but not much i can do......

I'm a little concerned over some of the club names. For example, some of the Portuguese names are shortened and almost unrecognizable. Porto = FCP, Benfica = SLB. Otherwise, I'm pretty happy so far and I've been checking stuff off the "wishlist" I've been maintaining since last year. That's a good thing. Cheers.

Cheers Mr P

I don't need to search - one can highlight it for oneself now on the Attributes screen for any player :)

I just think the notion of limited search/filtering parameters on the basis of 'formation position' is very antiquated. I don't want or need to buy a Striker - I need a Target Man capable of the Support duty. The sooner the rest of the game catches up with that idea, the better, in my opinion.

Have been over to the tech issue subforum. Bad news I'm afraid, the new FM just doesn't run on them. You now need to have the upgraded video card (even if you don't want 3D).

just to say cant get 3d match as it is greyed out.....doesnt seem to be too many answers as to why, did not have trouble with fm11, 10 or 9....looks like my comp which has intel g33/g31 chipset is just not good enough......looks like i will be sticking with fm11.....im very annoyed but not much i can do......

Not seen an answer to any of the 3D questions.

I have the same chipset in the computer I use as well. Came up saying that it basically can't handle the 3D match engine so greyed it out, yet works fine for FM2011.

Looks like the time has finally come to get an actual graphics card put in because I enjoy the 3D match view too much so I wouldn't be able to enjoy the game fully if I couldn't have this option.

I'm a little concerned over some of the club names. For example, some of the Portuguese names are shortened and almost unrecognizable. Porto = FCP, Benfica = SLB. Otherwise, I'm pretty happy so far and I've been checking stuff off the "wishlist" I've been maintaining since last year. That's a good thing. Cheers.

SI Dont have licence for Portugal any more so that's why its like this

I just played a little and I feel the need to vent off about the font again :mad:

Why on Earth would you make the text narrower in a reading-heavy game? Okay, you made the font rendering arguably better (not everybody likes smooth fonts on lcd), but don't you have somebody that knows ergonomics to tell you it shouldn't be getting prettier at the expense of readability? It is a problem on higher resolutions, where you have plenty of space anyway, so you could have made it bigger if not keep it the same. Argh!

• SI Staff

There's been absolutely no change to the finance or board interactions either. There were many areas which got a touch up, this got nothing. I guess that's why there weren't any blogs on either.

To start with the more visible changes to finances (and some board interactions): the scouting costs and travel costs are now modelled and separated in the expenditure accounts as are youth scheme costs, which can be now controlled to a degree via the board requests regarding budgeting for junior coaching and youth recruitment. I would say that just these few visible changes would count as a "touch up" at least, even without all the other changes done under the hood.

What a horrible mess the adding tactics and back up tactics is, amongst other things.

I'm really failing to see the point in this game. Not much has been added whilst pointlesely over complicating navigation.

Not impressed.

Archived