Football Manager 2012 Demo *OFFICIAL* Feedback Thread

Some holidaying during the demo shows to me that there's still a problem with how many goals are scored in a playable league. If we look back through the past 10 seasons in real life a handful of teams have managed to score/concede over two per game and in a rare few cases it got into triple figures. After the third patch in Football Manager 2011 it was a regular occurrence which essentially put me off playing because I found it unrealistic and I'm a bit compulsive in having realistic stats.

In real life the last 7 seasons goals highest and lowest have seen (those in brackets are the second and third highest):

10 - 11: Goals Scored: Norwich City - 83 (81, 77); Goals Against: Scunthorpe United - 87 (81, 79)

09 - 10: Goals Scored: Newcastle United - 90 (89, 74); Goals Against: Scunthorpe United - 84 (80, 73)

08 - 09: Goals Scored: Wolverhampton Wanderers - 80 (72, 72); Goals Against: Charlton Athletic - 74 (72, 70)

07 - 08: Goals Scored: West Bromwich Albion - 88 (69, 65); goals against: Colchester United - 86 (72, 69)

06 - 07: Goals Scored: West Bromwich Albion - 81 (77, 76); goals against: Barnsley 85 (81, 80)

05 - 06: Goals Scored: Reading - 99 (77, 76); goals against: Crewe Alexandra - 86 (71, 67)

04 - 05: Goals Scored: Ipswich Town - 85 (79, 76); goals against: Crewe Alexandra - 86 (73, 69)

I've gone through holiday mode for seven seasons to look at how the stats match up. Listed below are the teams that after 22 games have scored or conceded 2 goals per game, and bare in mind in the seven seasons listed above that Reading are the only team to have done this.

Season 1: 22 games played, Bristol City (51), Blackpool (44) and Middlesbrough (48) have averaged at least 2.0 goals scored per game and Doncaster (52), Coventry City (50), Reading (49) and Watford (44) have averaged at last 2.0 goals against per game. (In League 1 after 21 games the highest scored is 40 and conceded is 34).

Season 2: 22 games played, Blackpool (49) and Ipswich Town (45) have averaged at least 2.0 goals scored per game and Reading (47) and Coventry City (47) have averaged at last 2.0 goals against per game. (In League 1 after 21 games the highest scored is 40 and conceded is 34).

Season 3: 22 games played, Reading (48), Portsmouth (47) and West Ham United (45) have averaged at least 2.0 goals scored per game and Watford (47), Ipswich Town (44) and Coventry City (44) have averaged at last 2.0 goals against per game. (In League 1 after 21 games the highest scored is 35 and conceded is 35).

Season 4: 22 games played, Bristol City (46), Leicester City(46) and Ipswich Town (44) have averaged at least 2.0 goals scored per game and Doncaster Rovers (64!), and Coventry City (54) have averaged at last 2.0 goals against per game. (In League 1 after 21 games the highest scored is 39 and conceded is 32).

Season 5: 22 games played, Reading (48) have averaged at least 2.0 goals scored per game and Hull City (47), Coventry City (45) and Barnsley (44) have averaged at last 2.0 goals against per game. (In League 1 after 21 games the highest scored is 37 and conceded is 41).

Season 6: 22 games played, Leicester City (45) and West Ham United (44) have averaged at least 2.0 goals scored per game and Doncaster Rovers (56), Coventry City (46) and Millwall (44) have averaged at last 2.0 goals against per game. (In League 1 after 21 games the highest scored is 39 and conceded is 37).

Season 7: 22 games played, Reading (46) has averaged at least 2.0 goals scored per game and Coventry City (62), Watford (48) and Doncaster Rovers (46) have averaged at last 2.0 goals against per game. (In League 1 after 21 games the highest scored is 35 and conceded is 39).

Now I'm presuming in this that the goals will roughly continue at the same trend over the second section of the season, and I might be jumping the gun a bit based on half a season but it's something that would put me off the game.

I'm sorry if this comes off as a bit of a moody post but on a better note everything else looks absolutely brilliant and this could well be the best FM ever.

Not that there's anything wrong with your post but you cant really use half a game as a soak test or holiday game things like this need to be done over a season

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't know if this has been brought up but is anyone else noticeing the referee blowing his wistle for a corner before it passes the line. it's especially noticeable when player runs to byline and kicks the ball off of a defender, the wistle blows when the ball hits said defender, just a minor thing i've noticed

If you read my post its an explanation of why it is not an issue.....

Thanks, I read your post, but it is an issue that goes beyond 11/12. Look at the Technical Attribute number column, and check from Creativity down to Flair in the Mental section and Natural Fitness down to Strength in Physical! Unless it's my eyes going wonky, but only when I look at those numbers!?

For your ease; http://i.imgur.com/6EJBe.png

• Administrators
Thanks, I read your post, but it is an issue that goes beyond 11/12. Look at the Technical Attribute number column, and check from Creativity down to Flair in the Mental section and Natural Fitness down to Strength in Physical! Unless it's my eyes going wonky, but only when I look at those numbers!?

For your ease; http://i.imgur.com/6EJBe.png

Yes, and its because they are aligned to the right.

As I said, the pixel width of 1, 2, 3, 4 etc are all going to be different in a font.

You can test this yourself, go into MS Paint, align the numbers in a vertical row and compare the pixel widths. It's not an issue. Since they are aligned to the right, thats why you think there is an issue.

Why are national managers still not paid a salary like in real life?

Seems so odd to me that when I manage a nation I seem to be doing it for free, while when at a club like Weston-super-Mare for example I do get paid a salary.

Manager salary at a league level will pact the clubs finances

At international level we aren't really intereted in the finances. However from a purely entertainment value it would be interesting to get a salary

I'm sorry, but I don't like the fact that you get taken to the team overview when you click on a team name. I'd rather go straight to the squad. I know it's minor but it's just more clicking back and forth between teams and league tables.

Edited to add that I just noticed the friendly fixtures and they are a lot more realistic than in previous editions. In the past, as Bournemouth manager, I'd be given a random selection of clubs in places that I wouldn't expect Bournemouth to go to for pre-season. Now they play the likes of Poole Town and Wimborne Town along with a few higher class teams. Good stuff.

Who else is having a lot of fun hitting the 'BACK' page option?...

if you mean because you have to go through several screens you previously visited, you can stop it in preferences, I'd tell you what to untick butlearning to look for it yourself might help you when looking for stuff in future situations

I'm sorry, but I don't like the fact that you get taken to the team overview when you click on a team name. I'd rather go straight to the squad. I know it's minor but it's just more clicking back and forth between teams and league tables.

For the eleventy billionth time in this thread, change it under preferences if you want to go to the squad.

I don't need to search - one can highlight it for oneself now on the Attributes screen for any player :)

I just think the notion of limited search/filtering parameters on the basis of 'formation position' is very antiquated. I don't want or need to buy a Striker - I need a Target Man capable of the Support duty. The sooner the rest of the game catches up with that idea, the better, in my opinion.

LOL Excellent just found this - for others go:

Player > attributes > view key attributes (top right) > .....then select role > position > team role

I love this so thanks Super B for pointing this out

if you mean because you have to go through several screens you previously visited, you can stop it in preferences, I'd tell you what to untick butlearning to look for it yourself might help you when looking for stuff in future situations

Where?

You can also right click on the back button to get a list of previous visited pages to jump straight to a page instead of cycling back through.

So disappointing. The first 5 things I've done in the game have all been bugged. See you for 12.3

Well if I found 5 key issues I detail them here so they could get fixed. Making statements like you have will not win you any friends, but more importantly may mean they don't even get fixed. I'm sure you love the game as I do so why not share these issues with us - Thanks

You can. Go to preferences there is option saying Default Team Section, where you have two choices Profile and Squad. Choose squad if you want to go directly to Squad.

Don't share the issues here, share them on issue sub-forum where they belong and will get looked at by Sigames team.

Hmm Im not sure how I like the new general tactics view, with the incorporated match preparation.

I would like if the selected tactic and the 3 tactics being trained in match preparation where somehow separated, so we see the 3 being trained, and then clearly separated from these, we have a drop down menu or the like where we can select which tactic to use as the starting one.

I have only just loaded the demo up and won't be able to comment on bugs etc as you tend to notice them more once you have played a season rather than a 6 months demo. If you want to be picky Cahill scored for England but the stats in the demo claim he is yet to score and Chelsea better known world wide than Liverpool I don't think so and Liverpool have more than £2 million to spend even after their spending spree but none of them things are game breaking and me saying Liverpool are bigger than world wide than Chelsea is just my opinion and a biased one ;)

I love the players screen where I can view attributes, salary etc all on one page and the scouts recomend better and more realistic quality players. I am using kits, logos and faces which the great SI community released for FM 11 and while it looks great i think some icons look small such as the players faces under staff on the club details page.

Tactics screen is also a lot better, whole game seems more pleasing on the eye and no longer having to go to numerous menus to get to the one you want.

What does familarity mean in the tactics screen? Is it how familiar the players are to my current tactic?

Yes, and its because they are aligned to the right.

As I said, the pixel width of 1, 2, 3, 4 etc are all going to be different in a font.

You can test this yourself, go into MS Paint, align the numbers in a vertical row and compare the pixel widths. It's not an issue. Since they are aligned to the right, thats why you think there is an issue.

I understand and have no need to test it thanks, issue doesn't always mean bug. That's the way the numbers line up with this font, I get it, the issue is, the numbers are grossly misaligned and it looks ugly. So either the wrong font was chosen or it wasn't checked properly.

Unlike this, which looks quite neat: bE8or.png

Assuming you're on Windows, have you tried (auto) hiding your Taskbar?
If you're on a mac this works. Don't know if it's the same on a PC.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/153632-Tip-Macs-and-Using-full-screen-while-windowed?

Update: small_screen works fine and fixes the issue. Strange, I now remember having to do the same for earlier versions (10 I think) but definitely not for FM11, which is on the same machine.

Three things I have noted so far:

Distance covered has dropped from around 105-115 km per game (usally) to 75 km. Why is that. I subbed in a winger in the 64 min and he just jogged 1.4km? That can't be right.

The other point is, I have a player on loan from my parent club and he asks me about leaving for a bigger club. Now, what am I supposed to say to him?

Also running with ball through the middle or dribbling overall (with long balls down the flanks) is aperently even more dangerous compared to passing than in the last version. Please SI, try to make the game less "british" or at least allow a different/alternate playstyle. (For example: How can I make my fullback to play as a additional defensive central midfielder on possesion?)

I'm afraid users in Germany, China, Hong Kong, North Korea and South Korea will not be able to download the Demo.

Laughing my ass out, In switzerland i am also not able to download this. Well Nice Idea to sell this with steam. Hopefully this idea crashes and burns !!!

I have only just loaded the demo up and won't be able to comment on bugs etc as you tend to notice them more once you have played a season rather than a 6 months demo. If you want to be picky Cahill scored for England but the stats in the demo claim he is yet to score and Chelsea better known world wide than Liverpool I don't think so and Liverpool have more than £2 million to spend even after their spending spree but none of them things are game breaking and me saying Liverpool are bigger than world wide than Chelsea is just my opinion and a biased one ;)

I love the players screen where I can view attributes, salary etc all on one page and the scouts recomend better and more realistic quality players. I am using kits, logos and faces which the great SI community released for FM 11 and while it looks great i think some icons look small such as the players faces under staff on the club details page.

Tactics screen is also a lot better, whole game seems more pleasing on the eye and no longer having to go to numerous menus to get to the one you want.

What does familarity mean in the tactics screen? Is it how familiar the players are to my current tactic?

Yes, thats correct Tony. You should also train in other formations (back-up Formations) so that you have flexibility to change to a familiar formation during the game e.g. defensive or offensive formation. You players will be able to play better in a formation they are familiar with

I'm afraid users in Germany, China, Hong Kong, North Korea and South Korea will not be able to download the Demo.

Laughing my ass out, In switzerland i am also not able to download this. Well Nice Idea to sell this with steam. Hopefully this idea crashes and burns !!!

Rather a spoilt brat response here I think. If you look through this thread you'll see that there are legal reasons preventing this in certain nations

I dont recall Switzerland being mentioned. Perhaps if you post in the techy thread someone could confirm either way.

I understand your disappointment but people will feel more willing to help if you remain calm - Cheers

Three things I have noted so far:

Distance covered has dropped from around 105-115 km per game (usally) to 75 km. Why is that. I subbed in a winger in the 64 min and he just jogged 1.4km? That can't be right.

The other point is, I have a player on loan from my parent club and he asks me about leaving for a bigger club. Now, what am I supposed to say to him?

Also running with ball through the middle or dribbling overall (with long balls down the flanks) is aperently even more dangerous compared to passing than in the last version. Please SI, try to make the game less "british" or at least allow a different/alternate playstyle. (For example: How can I make my fullback to play as a additional defensive central midfielder on possesion?)

First of all, if you are in that location, well done getting the demo. Does this guy show as being on loan at your club?

Really? This does not start the installation for you?:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/276641-Football-Manager-2012-Demo-FAQ-Technical-and-STEAM-Issues?p=7132784&viewfull=1#post7132784

You can download the demo in Switzerland without any problems. I did it yesterday evening. If it's not visible on steam, type this into the top address of any browser and steam will load the demo:

steam://install/71280#

I don't seem to be able to download the demo?? I am on steam and when I click download or Install demo, it just takes me to the Football Manager 2012 page. Going around in circles?

Jonno - a search may always help :)

Anyway try this link and see if it helps you, good luck:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/276641-Football-Manager-2012-Demo-FAQ-Technical-and-STEAM-Issues?p=7132784&viewfull=1#post7132784

I understand and have no need to test it thanks, issue doesn't always mean bug. That's the way the numbers line up with this font, I get it, the issue is, the numbers are grossly misaligned and it looks ugly. So either the wrong font was chosen or it wasn't checked properly.

True that. Somebody just thought "Hey, all the cool kids use smooth variable-width fonts, lets make it pretty" and that is the result. It is harder to read and the numbers are not really aligned to either side.

Screenshots: FM2011 FM2012

Comparison, the darker is FM2011:

gABWx.png

Please bring back the number of days until match (on the fixture panel/Date of fixture) it helped a lot when putting players to rest between games, as you knew directly how many days there was between games.

It's on the manager profile, top-left.

@pigfacemonkeyman

yes, he is listed in my squad. He even played in the first five league matches so far (7.07 average). Suddenly he becomes unhappy and wants to move to a bigger club. He is listed as backup at Udinese and as important fist team player with me (Grenada).

For the eleventy billionth time in this thread, change it under preferences if you want to go to the squad.

Really no need to be so aggressive. There's a lot of pages in this thread and I really don't have time to read them all. Just making my feelings known, though I did assume there would be an option to change it and I got the answer I wanted. So thanks for that.

Now calm down, boy.

So far, so impressive. Can't really get into it yet though as it's only a demo, but cannot wait for the full release!

Good stuff;

Tones- finally makes the player interaction worthwhile

Team Talk stuff- A bit complex to be honest, but it's really helpful and adds to what is a very immersive experience

Team meeting- Awesome

Shouts- This is what really makes the tactical stuff brilliant. I wanted this ever since shouts were introduced in the first place, allows us to be more tactical than ever!

Contract/Transfer locks- Very, very helpful.

ME- Looks beautiful all round.

Media stuff- Some new bits and bobs, once again adding to the experience.

I icon next to players- Allows quick glance at player stats- great addition!

Bad stuff;

New player profile screen- Very cluttered, complex, aesthetically antagonistic, but I supposed i'll get used to it.

Training- Had hoped it would be re-vamped, allowing us to immerse ourselves into it in a more immediate fashion like we can with tactics.

Screen cluttering- Seems a bit too much going on in screens in general, but i'll live with it.

Great work SI! This feels like Fm11.2, and for that I am very grateful, because it means a more streamlined evolution.

I love the new team talks, what with them being so much more varied now. I'm not entirely sure what to make of each of the headings, but I do believe I can see some use for each one. I firmly believe it will make team talks more of an art and less of a clickety-click usual choice-thing.

I like the team meeting idea too, but I was somewhat surprised at the lack of available things to say. I'm hoping it will broaden out throughout a season, and I can envisage new options during a poor run of form being a huge help. I've often felt powerless to change a losing run, with it more coming down to a turn of luck rather than anything I could do, but this might add something to a manager's arsenal. I hope.

Problem is I still foresee the problem I've encountered for the last two editions of FM becoming prevalent and resulting in me losing interest in the game. That is the easiness of Football Manager in later years. I honestly believe it is associated with the function whereby teams become better at a particular tactic as they play it. Every save I've run in the last two years has followed the same trend. A first season of mid table mediocrity and patchy form whilst players learn my tactics, followed by a second season on unbeatability (if that's a word) because each player is fluent with my desired tactic and AI teams are no match for us.

As this still appears to be in the game I'm dubious about purchasing the game. I can't run the demo until the second season so I'll have to rely reviews of the game on these forums.

It's sad but true that this is a problem for me. I was very impressed with the new features in this demo, so much so that I played a match in a demo for the first time. I just don't want to experience what i've experienced in every save I've started for the last two editions. I want the game to challenge me.

Ther is another thing I have noticed:

When I send a scout to scout spain for player younger than 24, with pace,acceleration, determination and teamwork at least 12, beeing EU nationals and so on he comes back the next day with two players who are too expensive. So I send him out again. What happens? Yes, exactly. He brings the same two guys again the next day. Is that how it is supposed to work?

I mean, I like the fact that you can scout for attributs now, but just one day?

Archived