Football Manager 2012 Demo *OFFICIAL* Feedback Thread

Yeh i know, just mentioned that in reply to the guy who posted about beating Arsenal 5-0 with west ham.

Well im guessing that was a cup game or friendly and arsenal might of been away with a reserve team out

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FM11 was too hard, and the FM12 DEMO is too easy... Are you people serious?

Firstly, its a demo, and perhaps SI need to add a few minor touches before the full game is released

Second, Im pretty sure people were saying and boasting about how much they loved CM012 because it was basic to play and winning was easier etc etc.

We finally have a near bug free game. A game that to me, is ridiculously awesome (I LOVE IT!!!) and people are here complaining about difficulty.

I can't wait for the full version to be released to see people then complaining about how hard it is :p

The demo IS the finished game. Nothing changes for the full release, atleast in terms of AI/difficulty.

Is there an explanation somewhere for what shouts do? I see there are a couple of new ones: "play through defense / run at defense", and I have to admit I can't quite see what they do. For new players, shouts generally must be confusing as heck without some quick help as to how they work.

surely they are pretty much self-explanatory? Play out of defence.....meaning, the defenders play the ball on the ground from defence as opposed to hoof-ball. Run at defense......meaning, your attacking players will......run at defence? I think even a child can understand this, no?

Arsenal lost 4-1 to west brom in my game lol. I think somethings need to be sorted out still to make this game more balanced. I have barely done much with the original 4-4-2 tactic you get.

They lost 2-0 to Swansea in mine. I was thinking, well, I don't care who they lose to aslong as they are failing epically :)

• SI Staff
With people saying that they are finding it too easy, is it possibly because our Team Talks are causing too much of an effect on players, i wonder if they need to be toned down?

The level of effects the team talks have on players has not really changed much this year at all. The reason why it may appear that team talks are "more effective" is because there is now immediate feedback on the team talks, so you can get a better idea of what way the team talk has affected the team.

Is there any way to save a lineup in your tactics screen? I used to have a first string and second string saved one for important games and one for cup matches against weak teams etc, but I can't see how to do that now. Is it possible? Be a massive arse on if it isn't, having to manually move all the players every time.

Can it be confirmed that players now more aggressively pursue their own goals? It is hard to tell from the little filtering of gameplay I usually take from a demo. But I started a new game with Ajax, had shortly thereafter rumors popping up that Arsenal would show interest in striker El Hamdaoui - and then El Hamdaoui handed in a transfer request (he wanted to move on to a bigger club). I denied, and after that this conversation took place.

I liked this a lot, as I found that players were far too loyal and the effects of denying transfers was a little too forgiving previously. (Just hoping that El Hamdaoui doesn't suddenly "forget" what I have done to him later on in the save). I also vagely remember Miles talking about players now more proactively looking for contract terminations in the case of relegation - this coupled with an AI that more aggressively competes on the transfer market would be immense. :-)

Is there any way to save a lineup in your tactics screen? I used to have a first string and second string saved one for important games and one for cup matches against weak teams etc, but I can't see how to do that now. Is it possible? Be a massive arse on if it isn't, having to manually move all the players every time.

Right click any free space on the pitch on the Tactics screen.

Can it be confirmed that players now more aggressively pursue their own goals? It is hard to tell from the little filtering of gameplay I usually take from a demo. But I started a new game with Ajax, had shortly thereafter rumors popping up that Arsenal would show interest in striker El Hamdaoui - and then El Hamdaoui handed in a transfer request (he wanted to move on to a bigger club). I denied, and after that this conversation took place.

That's awesome.

It's there Manager profile / overview --> Assistant Advice

Its not...this could be a bug. I had 2 x Gavin Gordon's (at Thurrock) as Ass Man (duplicated) so I terminated 1, still have one more but this button is now not showing.I think the game doesnt recognise me as still having an Ass Man?

Its not...this could be a bug. I had 2 x Gavin Gordon's (at Thurrock) as Ass Man (duplicated) so I terminated 1, still have one more but this button is now not showing.I think the game doesnt recognise me as still having an Ass Man?

You should post it in the bug forum and upload your save game.

I liked this a lot, as I found that players were far too loyal and the effects of denying transfers was a little too forgiving previously. (Just hoping that El Hamdaoui doesn't suddenly "forget" what I have done to him later on in the save). I also vagely remember Miles talking about players now more proactively looking for contract terminations in the case of relegation - this coupled with an AI that more aggressively competes on the transfer market would be immense. :-)

That's a really great addition, i agree that most players were far too loyal on previous FM's.

I find the actual match of Football Manager to be quite tedious and too time consuming. As such if lets say I am playing a team i expect to beat or I am thrashing someone or getting thrashed myself I like to go on holiday for 1 day from 'within' the match itself.

Just tried this in the demo and it told me I cant go on holiday on match day, is it going to be like this in the full game or is this just some quirk of the demo. If I cant go on holiday during the match i probably will refrain from buying this.

Was just wondering if there is a way to change colour of the top navigation bar (the bit with the calender scrolling across the top and the bit right under that where the forward and backward arrows are)? I know you can change lots of skin colours in preferences but I can't seem to find this one. I remember it being a lighter colour in FM11.

Also, just a comment about the UI, it seems like more 'clicks' have been added in to get to certain places. For example, if I want to get to the 'Information' section, I now have to click on 'View Club' and then 'Information' where in FM11 it was all in the same section. It seems like more clicks have been added in the last few version, after FM09 (I think) when they moved away from the vertical tree menu and created the horizontal menu with sub menus, meaning I would have to click in to, for example, 'Transfers & contracts' and then 'Contract'.

Otherwise, I'm liking the new game.

Please bring back the number of days until match (on the fixture panel/Date of fixture) it helped a lot when putting players to rest between games, as you knew directly how many days there was between games.

This has been raised and noted. Don't worry, it hasn't been permanently removed.

Just a small gripe here, searching for a player to buy for my Hull City team and was looking at a right winger, anyways i click through several of his pages on his profile and decide against making a bid, so i hit the 'Back' button on my mouse and instead of it going back to the filtered search like it does in FM11, you have to hit the 'Back' button several times to get back to the player search. My gripe is, too many clicks to get off the players profile.

It's football manager- watching matches is, y'know, quite a major part of that. You just have to holiday before the game.

Not for me it isnt, dont really enjoy the matches as much as most of the other stuff - I dont want to holiday before the game as that gives my assistant too much control

I actually can't stand this game after playing through the demo. The navigation is awful, the teamtalks are awful, the player interaction is awful. I have never been so frustrated with an FM/CM game as I am right now. I'm done with it.

Back to FM11.

Edit - And press confrences? I mean seriously, after all the complaints about them, the'yre exactly the same as last years. Could SI have not at least changed a few questions? It's exactly the same. Terrible.

Just a small gripe here, searching for a player to buy for my Hull City team and was looking at a right winger, anyways i click through several of his pages on his profile and decide against making a bid, so i hit the 'Back' button on my mouse and instead of it going back to the filtered search like it does in FM11, you have to hit the 'Back' button several times to get back to the player search. My gripe is, too many clicks to get off the players profile.

Try right clicking on the back button with mouse - it will show you pages/screens you have visited and you can click on them to get to the one you want.

I actually can't stand this game after playing through the demo. The navigation is awful, the teamtalks are awful, the player interaction is awful. I have never been so frustrated with an FM/CM game as I am right now. I'm done with it.

Back to FM11.

what? odd, bye then. don't know how you can say 'team talks are awful'.

what? odd, bye then. don't know how you can say 'team talks are awful'.

Edit - Never mind

I'll explain why; It's a confusing mess whilst being a complete lottery of micro management. A lot of people have been put off because of the micro management in FM so it seems SI decided to put loads more in (go figure). People will no doubt say that 'you don't have to do it', but I'm afraid that you do if you want your team to perform at maximum capacity, so you can't really avoid it.

I used to enjoy teamtalks and giving my team that edge, now I have to sift through 20 possibilities and then maybe get the team talk wrong because it's even more of a lottery than it's ever been. Sorry but I don't get it, it's just so over the top it's bordering on ridiculous. Thats my opinion anyway.

If this is the future of FM then I'm gutted to say that my 15 year love affair with the franchise is over.

Where is the Assmans feedback on the team talk screen? I can't find it any where

As was pointed by somebody else, it's on the Assistant Manager's screen inside his Reports section. I appreciate it would be helpful if there's a hyperlink on the Team Talk panel that takes you there immediately. This has been noted.

Back to FM11.

If you can't see all the improvements, the better game play and better UI, it's probably the better choice for you. :)

What does the Twitter feed actually feed in to Twitter?

Certain Inbox messages are considered tweet-worthy, such as the message you receive when you win a league/cup. The feature is by no means designed to spam your followers, but intended to periodically share your progress with them.

If you can't see all the improvements, the better game play and better UI, it's probably the better choice for you. :)

Everybody is different. Your idea of an improvement maybe my idea of a mess.

And in game I'm Liverpool who just lost 2-1 to Man Utd, so I also believe the match engine is broke. :p

Things that should have had some attention pre-release:

1) You can no longer double-click on a player in tactics to get to his player instructions. The same goes for team instructions when double-cliking the pitch.

2) In match 3D view, during a match: If you place the "player rating" pop-up-thingy to the far right of the screen, many of the small "i" icons won't work when you hover your mouse over them.

3) Why is it not possible to view the attribute-web-icon on the players home screen? We can view all other sorts of stuff, but not the easy at-a-glance web-graphics icon that many of us use to get a quick sense of strengths and weaknesses of a player.

4) Why is that web.icon still so small relative to the empty space around it?

5) Why can't we hover the mouse over the attributes-web-icon groups to have a pop-up telling us which stats are grouped within?

6) In my own squad view: When I want to filter for a left midfielder, why do I still have to click and un-click each

position and side box? Why is there no "remove/add all" box, so we are not forced to click ten times to show and unshow left midfielders?

7) Why can't I right click on any empty space and get a pop-up giving me easy shortcuts to any aresa I have specified beforehand? As of now, when I right click, nothing happens.

8) Why do you show the attribute "penalty kick" under the GK attributes? Shouldn't you rather show the more important "save penalty" attribute?

I do love the game though, have had for years and years, so KUTGW!

1) As the Tactics has had functionality spread across numerous panels this year, we wanted to avoid the potentially jarring effect of switching between panels without realising. What we've added though to counter the loss of this behaviour is new keyboard shortcuts for each panel to quick switch between each panel, and a {right-click} menu when you click on a kit or empty space on the pitch.

2) Can you please post this issue in the UI bugs subforum (http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/241-User-Interface)?

3) This is something we'll definitely be considering introducing to the Player Profile in the future.

4) Something we've been meaning to change, but have had to postpone in the name of prioritisation. Fixing this isn't a straightforward job unfortunately.

5) Decent suggestion. Not sure how feasible it is as it's a single object, but something worthy of considering to implement in the future.

6) Another decent shout, which I believe is something that has already been suggested for implementation.

7) Empty space where?

Is there an explanation somewhere for what shouts do? I see there are a couple of new ones: "play through defense / run at defense", and I have to admit I can't quite see what they do. For new players, shouts generally must be confusing as heck without some quick help as to how they work.

ETA: I just have to add that I adore the ability to group shouts and apply them before the match. It's a small thing, but it improves massively the way creating and using tactics feel. I always wanted to be able to do this in FM2011, and it's great to have it now.

Here you go (thanks for your input Robert the Spud :rolleyes:)

From wwfan

There are four new shouts:

1: Play Ball out of Defence

2: Run at Defence

3: Play through Defence

4: Hit Early Crosses

Roughly (it's been a while):

1: Minimises passing length in the back two strata

2: Increases dribbling a notch in the top two strata and/or most advanced wide player

3: Decreases dribbling a notch in the top two strata and/or most advanced wide player

4: Increases crossing and reduces cross from a notch for wide players

And the others;-

The following information is taken from Tactical Theorems ’10, available now for free at FM-Britain.co.uk.

Each of the shouts is listed here along with what they do to your tactics and some brief discussion as to when it is best to use them.

Passing Length Modifiers

Retain Possession

Effect: Instructs the team to try to hold on to the ball rather than making rushed long passes.

Action: Shortens passing length, slows tempo.

Useful: When struggling to hold on to possession; when having low pass completion percentage; to keep the ball from the opposition when leading to hold on to a lead.

Get Ball Forward

Effect: Instructs the team to get the ball up to the forward line quickly to put pressure on the opposition.

Action: Increases passing length, increases tempo.

Useful: When not penetrating the opposition; when having high possession and/or pass completion rates but few good shots; when needing a goal later in the game; when playing on a large pitch.

Try Through Ball Modifiers

Pass Into Space

Effect: Instructs the team to play the ball in front of the receiving player so that he can run on to it and create space for attacks.

Action: Increases try through balls.

Useful: When not penetrating the oppositions; when having high possession and/or pass completion rates but few good shots; when playing against a side with far less acceleration or pace than your own.

Pass To Feet

Effect: Instructs the team to make passes directly to a player rather than in front of him so he can run on to it.

Action: Reduces try through balls.

Useful: When struggling to gain high enough possession or pass completion percentages; when many passes are being intercepted; when your team has far less acceleration or pace than the opposition.

Passing Length and Direction Modifiers

Pump Ball Into Box

Effect: Instructs the team to play long balls in to the opposition penalty area to try to get an advantage.

Action: Large increase in passing length but decrease in try through balls for defenders and defensive midfielders, tells players to play with less wide play, makes full backs and wingers hold up the ball, increases forward runs for forwards, sets maximum crossing for full backs, focus passing through the centre.

Useful: When needing a goal late on in the game; when possessing taller and/or stronger forwards than the opposition defenders.

Clear Ball To Flanks

Effect: Instructs the team to clear the ball to the flanks in order to reduce the possible danger.

Action: Large increase in passing length but decrease in try through balls for defenders and defensive midfielders, tells players to play with more wide play, focus passing to the wings.

Useful: When trying to hold on to a lead late on in the game; when the opposition is countering through the centre; when possessing quick wingers who are good on the counter attack.

Long Shots Modifiers

Shoot On Sight

Effect: Instructs the team to take the opportunity to shoot whenever they get anywhere near to the goal.

Action: Increases try long shots.

Useful: When playing against a side who are “parking the bus”; when struggling to get any shots in at all; when needing a goal at all costs.

Work Ball Into Box

Effect: Instructs the team to only shoot once they get close to the goal.

Action: Decreases try long shots.

Useful: When shooting far too much from range; when creating a lot of shots but few clear cut chances; when playing with a team who are poor at shooting from range.

Pass Direction Modifiers

Exploit The Flanks

Effect: Instructs the team to play the ball out wide in order to try to play the ball down the wings.

Action: Focus passing down the wings, increases forward runs, crossing and mentality for full backs and wing backs, increased wide play for wing players, central midfielders hold up ball.

Useful: When the opposition are flooding the centre; when playing with good wide players; when playing with a team who are good at crossing; when playing on a wide pitch.

Exploit The Middle

Effect: Instructs the team to play the ball through the middle of the field.

Action: Focus passing through the centre, increased mentality and try through balls for defenders and defensive midfield players, decrease forward runs for wide players, increase forward runs for non-defensive central players in midfield and attack, decrease wide play for wing players.

Useful: When not playing with any wider players; when the opposition are leaving gaps in the middle of the field; when playing with a strong side with good central players; when playing on a narrow pitch.

Run Modifiers

Look For Overlap

Effect: Tells deeper wide players to run beyond the wide midfielders to offer more passing options and crossing opportunities.

Action: Increases mentality, more crossing, cross from further up the field and maximum forward runs for full backs and wing backs, hold up ball and decrease of mentality, forward runs and run with ball for wide midfielders, attacking midfielders and forwards, reduces wide play for wing players.

Useful: When using excellent attacking full backs and needing extra penetration down the wings; when needing more passing options in the final third; when playing against a side who are weak or undermanned down the flanks.

Take A Breather

Effect: Allows the team to slow the pace of the game down to conserve energy.

Action: Decrease forward runs, decrease tempo.

Useful: To try and slow the pace of the game when playing in very hot conditions; to keep players fit when well in the lead; to calm the game down before radically increasing the tempo and catching the opposition cold.

Width Modifiers

Play Wider

Effect: Instruct the team to play with more width.

Action: Increases width, focus passing down both flanks.

Useful: When the opposition is attacking down the wings; when the opposition is flooding the centre of the field; when needing more space to break down the opposition; when playing on a narrow pitch.

Play Narrower

Effect: Instructs the side to tighten up through the centre.

Action: Decreases width, focus passing through the centre.

Useful: When the opposition is attacking through the centre; when the opposition is leaving holes in the centre; when needing to keep the game tight and reducing space for the opposition; when playing on a wide pitch.

Defensive Line Modifiers

Push Higher Up

Effect: Tells the defence to push higher up the field when in possession.

Action: Increases defensive line height, increase closing down.

Useful: When playing against slow strikers; when playing against a team sitting deep; when needing to reduce the space of the opposition.

Drop Deeper

Effect: Tells the defence to sag further back when in possession.

Action: Decreases the defensive line height, lower closing down.

Useful: When playing against quicker strikers; when playing against a team pushing up; when looking for more space with a team packing the midfield and defence.

Closing Down Modifiers

Hassle Opponents

Effect: Instructs the team to close down the opposition and reduce the space available.

Action: Vastly increases closing down settings, changes marking to tight-man, increases tempo.

Useful: When needing to regain possession quickly; when playing against a slow, technically inferior team; when needing to reduce space for the opposition.

Stand-Off Opponents

Effect: Instructs the team to hold back from the opposition and try to direct them away from danger.

Action: Vastly decreases closing down settings, changes marking to loose-zonal, decreases tempo.

Useful: When playing against a quick, technically superior team; when needing to hold team defensive shape; when looking for more space to break down a team who refuse to come out of their own half.

Tackling Intensity Modifiers

Get Stuck In

Effect: Instructs the team to tackle hard to regain possession.

Action: Increases tackling intensity to hard.

Useful: When needing to regain possession quickly; when playing against a team with little bravery; when not getting a high enough tackles completed percentage.

Stay On Feet

Effect: Instructs the team to only make tackles when they are definitely “on”.

Action: Decreases tackling intensity to easy, except for the “ball winning midfielder”.

Useful: When conceding too many free kicks; when looking to hold defensive shape; when playing against very quick players good at riding a tackle.

Extreme Shouts

The following shouts are only available when playing the contain or overload strategies.

Play Even Safer

Effect: Tells the team to play even more defensively when using the contain strategy.

Action: Sets forward runs and try through balls to minimum for all players except forwards, decreases run with ball.

Useful: Late on in a game when facing an onslaught.

Take More Risks

Effect: Tell the team to be even more gung-ho when using the overload strategy.

Action: Sets forward runs to maximum for support players, through balls to maximum for all players, increases run with ball.

Useful: Late on in a game when absolutely desperate for a goal.

I tried doing the tutorials first . But after five attempts to do the tactics one i gave up as it sticks on the screen where it tells you to move players around and the only thing left to do is click exit tutorial and either start again or say stuff it.

Can you please post this issue on the UI bugs subforum (http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/241-User-Interface)?

That's what I'm talking about. In FM11 if you select the Ass Man to take control of team talks, he only does so at start of game, not half time and you have the option.

At the moment I can't choose if I want to say something at half time and at full time.

I believe delegating team talk duties to your assistant manager via your Team Policy results in him doing them all (including half-time and for subs even).

I'm really really enjoying this, but I'm having a couple of problems with 'windowed' mode, which is how I prefer to play the game.

First, as a carry-over from last year, there is no scrolling within individual boxes, meaning that I have to exit windowed mode in order to scroll down in the coach assignment screen, the 'new manager' screen and in order to see the stats of the MoM in the post-match screen.

Further, in windowed mode, I cannot see the selection options for a player under his attributes - I only see the league stats and his attributes, not his injury status or suspension status. And yes, these are available in the overview screen, but it is unhelpful nevertheless.

Default screen res, prior to windowing, is 1366 x 788

Do you have problems you're experiencing in windowed mode when you're on full screen? Remember, if you're on windowed mode on 1366 * 768, you actually are below the minimum resolution supported as the window's titlebar and the operating system's taskbar (assuming you're on Windows) eats into the 768 vertical pixels required.

As for the scrolling issue within individual boxes, can you please raise this in the UI bugs subforum (http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/241-User-Interface)?

Please post this issue on the UI bugs subforum (http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/241-User-Interface) so we can look into this more.

Go into your Preferences, and remove the "Enable Player Browsing History" option.

Don't normally try the demo each year but I keep reading people having a jerky ME so it makes me think I'd better make sure I can the run the game. Surely if your able run FM11 then you should be able to run FM12 the same? Can't imagine its much different anyway.

it would be nice if we could "undo" the managers team talk before a game. you can set it only one time and it stays fixed. that would be nice.

There won't be an undo, as it will destroy the concept of having a conversation and getting reactions immediately. We could have introduced a [submit] button, but we thought this can become annoying i.e. select team talk, press [submit] and then get reactions every time you give an overall and individual team talk. Yes, this would have ensured you never accidently gave the wrong team talk, but the benefit of having this 'luxury' will be felt extremely rarely to warrant its inclusion.

Don't normally try the demo each year but I keep reading people having a jerky ME so it makes me think I'd better make sure I can the run the game. Surely if your able run FM11 then you should be able to run FM12 the same? Can't imagine its much different anyway.

I think it's a little bit more demanding on graphics and that's just enough to tip some peoples rigs over the edge (which they were pretty close to before)

Archived