Cheers all and all the best

4 hours ago, herne79 said:

So I took a break from the forums over the holidays which I've now decided to make permanent.  I may pop by now and again just to keep up to date with how the game develops, but other than that I won't be around any more.

So all the best to everyone, keep plugging away and remember it's just a game.  If I leave you with any small pieces of advice it's:

1) Don't expect too much too soon.  Yes be ambitious, just don't put undue pressure on yourself.  Your Board and players have their own expectations, which is all you need worry about.

2) Don't over complicate things.  Only add in tactical instructions if you want to achieve a certain style of play or have a specific requirement in mind.  Remember that Mentality sets a whole bunch of TIs by default and it isn't always necessary to adjust them.

3) Think about how things combine.  Mentality, TIs, PIs, Player Traits, Roles & Duties and Attributes will all have an impact.  Don't just think about the role/duty to get a player to behave how you want.  A Wingback (defend) combined with a player who has the Trait to get forward often is not just going to sit back and will provide you with overlaps down the flank.  And he'll do it even more as your Mentality becomes more aggressive for example.  You don't have to make him a Wingback (attack) to do all that.  Combinations.

Cheers all and have fun.

:ackter:

So the man who I've learned most from on this forum - with the "keep it simple" as the most essential piece of tactical advice - is now leaving ??? I cannot find words to express how huge a loss it is for this community :(

If there is a single FM-related statement I will always remember as sacred, it's definitely this one: "The game rewards logical thinking" (by the great @herne79 )

Just hope you'll change your mind and get back here (hopefully as soon as possible) :thup:

5 hours ago, herne79 said:

So I took a break from the forums over the holidays which I've now decided to make permanent

You'll be greatly missed, but thanks for the huge contribution you've made over the last few years, and good luck for the future.

Always appreciated and admired how mannered and easy mods are, even towards people deserving a different treatment probably. Managing the rabids in this forum It's surely a tough job to deal with for every mod.

So it's always something bad when one of them quits.

Best luck for you

6 hours ago, herne79 said:

So I took a break from the forums over the holidays which I've now decided to make permanent.  I may pop by now and again just to keep up to date with how the game develops, but other than that I won't be around any more.

So all the best to everyone, keep plugging away and remember it's just a game.  If I leave you with any small pieces of advice it's:

1) Don't expect too much too soon.  Yes be ambitious, just don't put undue pressure on yourself.  Your Board and players have their own expectations, which is all you need worry about.

2) Don't over complicate things.  Only add in tactical instructions if you want to achieve a certain style of play or have a specific requirement in mind.  Remember that Mentality sets a whole bunch of TIs by default and it isn't always necessary to adjust them.

3) Think about how things combine.  Mentality, TIs, PIs, Player Traits, Roles & Duties and Attributes will all have an impact.  Don't just think about the role/duty to get a player to behave how you want.  A Wingback (defend) combined with a player who has the Trait to get forward often is not just going to sit back and will provide you with overlaps down the flank.  And he'll do it even more as your Mentality becomes more aggressive for example.  You don't have to make him a Wingback (attack) to do all that.  Combinations.

Cheers all and have fun.

:ackter:

All the best for the future. I've really enjoyed your articles and threads over the years !

I'm sorry that you're leaving, I wish you the best for the future and I hope that as you said we'll see here again maybe even with only one thread a year but that leaves a mark like the previous ones.

• 2 weeks later...