My initial thoughts of FM 2019 (Alpha)

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, treble_yell_:-) said:

You know what the best new feature is this year ?

Being able to rearrange the tabs on the sidebar

Maybe, I do like that, but, for me the dividers, it will help me process all that info easier. Though after watching all the live streams over the weekend (shout out to Tom and Curtis, kept me entertained, and your guests educated me!) so many nice little things, haven't looked forward to a FM release as much in years. I even like the purple (people eater)

• Administrators
1 hour ago, treble_yell_:-) said:

You know what the best new feature is this year ?

Being able to rearrange the tabs on the sidebar

Wow. Completely missed that. Great testing from me! :ackter:

1 hour ago, toffee71 said:

Maybe, I do like that, but, for me the dividers, it will help me process all that info easier. Though after watching all the live streams over the weekend (shout out to Tom and Curtis, kept me entertained, and your guests educated me!) so many nice little things, haven't looked forward to a FM release as much in years. I even like the purple (people eater)

Hah I didn't know about the spacers , I love little QoL improvements like that.

Now I wonder if custom columns will work properly in the tactics screen

35 minutes ago, treble_yell_:-) said:

Now I wonder if custom columns will work properly in the tactics screen

C’mon, baby steps. :D

tbf you’d expect the column resizing issue to have been resolved based on the additions we’ve seen so far.

Terrible analysis by whovever that is, a true game breaking Diablo tactic would be a board full of green no matter what club was being managed not a mixture that you would expect to see based on the clubs expected performance.

OMG!! In the second example Dortmund won the league, remind me how they are doing IRL?

3 minutes ago, Barside said:

Terrible analysis by whovever that is, a true game breaking Diablo tactic would be a board full of green not a mixture that you would expect to see based on the clubs expected performance.

As much as Teach had been brilliant in showcasing what good content creators can do, this is a strong example of someone making bad content. 

3 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

As much as Teach had been brilliant in showcasing what good content creators can do, this is a strong example of someone making bad content. 

The concern is Miles will just end the entire project although at least nobody can accuse SI of cherry picking favourable content creators.

3 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Correct. 

As a sidenote, I thought the content creators had been told to showcase the Bundesliga as part of the agreement to show off the game, which most of them have done. However, the chap above has done an LA Galaxy one, and Proudie's doing a  Portsmouth one. 

5 minutes ago, Sticx said:

Doesnt fill me with a whole lot of hope that the bigger clubs will perform better this year seeing Bayern in 3rd. 

Early days but Bayern are not looking like a domestic powerhouse this season let alone continental contenders.

7 minutes ago, corn_onthecurb said:

Why were Arsenal in the champions league?

Second season.

4 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

It's still an Alpha build, the data won't be finalised yet I guess. Maybe that's why he couldn't say the name of the team. 

It's not an alpha build, SI have even been a bit absent minded & left the beta build watermark on the version that has been shown over the last few days.

4 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

It's still an Alpha build, the data won't be finalised yet I guess. Maybe that's why he couldn't say the name of the team. 

Arsenal weren't in it last season either though, so it's not like it would be because the old database is in use...

2 minutes ago, corn_onthecurb said:

It wasn't. The start date is July 2018

You're correct, misheard what they said about moving into the future.

4 minutes ago, Barside said:

Second season, was mentioned at teh start of the video

It's not an alpha build, SI have even been a bit absent minded & left the beta build watermark on the version that has been shown over the last few days.

Or they just added the watermark prematurely as they prepare for beta.

6 minutes ago, Spurs08 said:

Or they just added the watermark prematurely as they prepare for beta.

It's a beta, SI have misused the alpha build term for reasons I cannot fathom other than backstop protection had the majority of content creators eviscerated the game.

12 minutes ago, Barside said:

Early days but Bayern are not looking like a domestic powerhouse this season let alone continental contenders.

Well when you combine that with Arsenal winning the CL when they can't make the top four...Doesn't look good.

33 minutes ago, kingking said:

A.I hasn't improved there tactical ability against strikerless formations i guess..

Not sure which is the biggest misstep into the dog turd; the fact this click bait was even made, or some of the hyperbolic over-reaction to it.

7 minutes ago, Spurs08 said:

Wonder if this guy might get in trouble - he's as good as named Arsenal when he's a) not meant to, and b) it means he's either lying or there's a pretty major bug letting them get to the CL final when they shouldn't be in the tournament.

Not much they can do, if they take action the tinfoil hat brigade will claim that SI are trying to silennce someone who found game-breaking bug in FM, at best they'll just have to refute the claim using some of the points already raised here & leave it at that.

2 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Sitting 6th in the league and deservedly do. Incredibly average so far 

While Dortmund are 3 points clear at the top & averaging just over 3 goals a game.

2 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Sitting 6th in the league and deservedly do. Incredibly average so far 

That's amazing that the game engine that has been in development for the last year could predict the anomaly of Bayern not starting the season how they normally do by simming them to finish 3rd in the league. Now how do you explain Arsenal winning the CL, a competition they even shouldn't be in yet somehow won?

32 minutes ago, Barside said:

Terrible analysis by whovever that is, a true game breaking Diablo tactic would be a board full of green no matter what club was being managed not a mixture that you would expect to see based on the clubs expected performance.

OMG!! In the second example Dortmund won the league, remind me how they are doing IRL?

I think pointing out these exploits are important because S.I can improve the A.I tactical ability over time.

A.I should be parking the bus or playing  a counter-attacking system to defend against a strikerless formation

I hope the FM Staff/Coders know about flaws that the A.I suffer from.

Winning the league or finishing above your expectation in the league is impressive using a strikerless tactic. .

5 minutes ago, Barside said:

It's a beta, SI have misused the alpha build term for reasons I cannot fathom other than backstop protection had the majority of content creators eviscerated the game.

I assume to try and stop every muppet on Twitter saying "But you have the beta already, XYZ have been playing it, release it to us!"

30 minutes ago, kingking said:

I think pointing out these exploits are important because S.I can improve the A.I tactical ability over time.

I hope the FM Staff/Coders know about flaws that the A.I suffer from.

Winning the league on a strikerless tactic is impressive though or finishing above your expectation.

Pointing out exploits & bugs is very important but all this guy has done is publihed click-bait, there's no attempt to analysis anything or even play the matches, for all we know the assistants at each club immediately reverted to a formation that used a striker early on in each match.

As for league finishes a title contender won the league & a team predicted to finish lower mid-table pushed just over the upper mid-table range, hardly earth shattering over-performance. 

13 minutes ago, kingking said:

I think pointing out these exploits are important

What exploit?  You really think that's a game breaking tactic?

14 minutes ago, kingking said:

A.I should be parking the bus or playing  a counter-attacking system to defend against a strikerless formation

He holidayed through the season, didn't actually play any matches.  And why should the AI be playing like that anyway?  I wouldn't.

Don't be suckered in by somebody on the internet calling something which it plainly isn't.  I guess the guy's just that desperate for views.

24 minutes ago, herne79 said:

What exploit?  You really think that's a game breaking tactic?

He holidayed through the season, didn't actually play any matches.  And why should the AI be playing like that anyway?  I wouldn't.

Don't be suckered in by somebody on the internet calling something which it plainly isn't.  I guess the guy's just that desperate for views.

40 minutes ago, Barside said:

Pointing out exploits & bugs is very important but all this guy has done is publihed click-bait, there's no attempt to analysis anything or even play the matches, for all we know the assistance as each club immediately reverted to a formation that used a striker early on in each match.

As for league finishes a title contender won the league & a team predicted to finish lower mid-table pushed just over the upper mid-table range, hardly earth shattering over-performance. 

after doing quick reads, yeah it is not game-breaking, an exploitation or a cheat 

Just a tactical style that the A.I doesn't understand fully 

I would like the A.I to understand it though and to have a go at strikerless formations in the future of FM or to have a role where strikers go back to defend and act like a AM in a striker formation for the A.I to use

Strikerless formations are in modern football now, and the A.I hasn't caught up

We still don’t have confirmation that the AI they left in charge stuck to the formation and if a user wants to employ the formation for some perceived advantage then that’s up to them.

Will be more interested to read what happens when regulars I trust in the tactics forum attempt to employ a strikerless formation.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, andu1 said:

More importantly why is a person who posts " gamebreaking tactics " clips on youtube about FM 19 is even allowed to play the game?

Select Youtubers and celebs/“VIPs” have been given access basically. 

I played a strikerless formation with Liverpool in FM18 which I created because I could not get inside forwards to cut inside and shoot for the far corner. It worked and felt like a cheat tactic because Salah scored 29 goals in the league and Liverpool reached the CL finale in season 1. I was proud but then real life took over and Liverpool did also reach the CL finale and Salah scored 34 goals :)

Okay granted in season 3 my strikerless formation won the league with 107 points.....it did feel like a cheat then. 

However strikerless formations in real life are also hard to battle, Ajax showed that against Bayern a few weeks ago and Liverpool really does not play with a central striker since Firminho is everywhere on the pitch. It is just difficult to defend especially against quality teams. 

Let's all not waste our time on that Borussia Dortmund effort. SI surely will look into it I guess.

I do hope AI clubs will prove more intelligent overall and that AI tactic can also make user of gegenpress, tiki taka etc. In previous FM's Guardiola and Klopp underperform quite a bit and are usually amongst the first sacked coaches. It seems their managerial skills do not translate to tactics well. 

I have been intensly reading and watching all sorts of content regarding AI tactics and managers but have not found a positive sound. Then after watching Bayer vs Bayern and Borussia DM vs Bayer I do have a sorry that better teams seem to have very defensive or passive tactics. 

This really is my main concern for the coming FM19 career game.

I always wonder if I am blind or if I am getting too old and am happy to just have time to play a game and not have time to complain about it but when I look at the videos and see the changes in the visual representation of the match, then I can't see how others miss that? Beyond that, as Miles stated, there are thousands of small little changes in the match engine (that's not the graphics, btw.). So how people keep saying there are no changes is beyond me.

Did you guys see the ball physics in the "ALPHA" version? (Alpha comes before Beta comes before actual game, right?). You understand that there are changes being done before they release the Beta. And there are changes done before November 2nd when the game is officially released, right? Or do you think Alpha is the actual game?

I played this not to be named game years back and I keep saying it, I am so happy I discovered this game. That not to be named game had great graphics, yes, oh and I could buy a car and a house, but I told my player to do something and it made no difference. In this game, they actually do what you ask them to, but hey, they have their own personalities too, and they make mistakes. Penalty doesn't mean 100% goal. VAR feedback doesn't mean the referee got it right. Calling offside doesn't mean it was. This is all build into the game.

People, sit back in your chairs, lean back, breathe for 10 seconds, and enjoy that you can play such a nice game to relax. Feedback is always good to make it better but tearing apart an Alpha version before you have even seen it, is insane.

Archived