My initial thoughts of FM 2019 (Alpha)

@Vicz @Amarante

Lets park the de Jong discussion here for now please.  Assumptions and speculation are being made based on a very early game build which may or may not reflect either open Beta when it arrives or the live game.  When people start using capitals and making personal comments it's a very short step to going too far and receiving a temporary ban from the forums.  So rein it in please.

When you get Beta access (or the full game) and you've had the chance to actually play with it yourselves, if you think something looks odd or not right, raise it in the Bugs forum when it becomes available :thup:.

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Amarante:

At the start of fm2019 the following things should be in place in game (if FM had the goal to be a realistic sim) regarding Frenkie de Jong:

- he should have the highest potential ability in the Dutch league

- he should have a current ability that will get him invited for the dutch national team and be a starter straight away as of september since he is the missing link for the Dutch team and Ronald Koeman has impatiently been waiting on his return

- Interest from some of the biggest clubs as that was already the case as of december 2017 when he was the star in a 3-0 victory against later champions and my favorite team PSV

- attributes that make him a technical playmaker and also a reasonably good defender (With him as dc Ajax did not lose in 2017/2018). His versatility is rare and that rareness inflates his value 

- his personality, loyalty and ambition prevent him to move away from Ajax to a lesser club ( and yes Bayer is less good both now and certainly historically ). De Jong aims real high rightfully so

- he unfortunately plays at a club with a healthy balance with no need or wish to sell, and a new policy of paying huge salaries. Transfers of their star players will only occur if the offer is too good to refuse.

End of the day, Miles' gut feeling that the deal would not happen for Bayer should have been correct and it would be wise for SI to check if above mentioned points are reflected well in the DB in its current state.

Cheers!

3 minutes ago, herne79 said:

@Vicz @Amarante

Lets park the de Jong discussion here for now please.  Assumptions and speculation are being made based on a very early game build which may or may not reflect either open Beta when it arrives or the live game.

When you get Beta access (or the full game) and you've had the chance to actually play with it yourselves, if you think something looks odd or not right, raise it in the Bugs forum when it becomes available.

Sorry Herne79 , did not see your reply yet. I have said my piece though :)

Watched ~15 minutes of gameplay.

- Lack of involvement from CBs in possession seems to still be an issue despite how the modern game is played.

- There are still a ridiculous amount of slide tackles.

- Wing play still seems way too prominent with defenders in the box falling asleep when marking.

I don't doubt the ME is better than last year but it looks like we're talking small margins and hardly the revolution needed to resemble how football is played in reality.

Ugh.

I watched briefly the stream but I am happy to say there ARE improvements the way it looks atm. Tactics look definitely better and SI took a good decision to create football styles templates, it’s going to help some people if they want to create their own tactics. Also the players are more patient, they don’t shoot from range at every opportunity and when they shoot, some of those are on target. I haven’t been on when they were on about Training and I admit it is a bit overwhelming but again it’s a massive improvement. I’ve been very skeptical about buying the game, and I mean it, you look at my posts history and see how angry I was about FM18 and I regretted buying it and I was sure I wouldn’t buy FM19 as a way of “protest”, but I think I’m heading straight to pre-order the game.

Has anyone seen whether teams playing with 2 strikers have them sit any deeper than they have previously? It didn't seem realistic how they'd basically just sit on top of the opposition centre backs when their team didn't have the ball 

2 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

The Twitter account saying the beta will be on Friday. They've never announced a specific date before which hints to me that it will be out sooner. Wednesday is still my estimate. 

I think Wednesday would sit well with a lot of people too :)

I'm interested to watch the FM creators uploading their videos/opinions from the past 2 days at SI HQ tomorrow, as the embargo is lifted 4pm

12 minutes ago, ChelseaSince86 said:

I think Wednesday would sit well with a lot of people too :)

I'm interested to watch the FM creators uploading their videos/opinions from the past 2 days at SI HQ tomorrow, as the embargo is lifted 4pm

Hopefully it'll sort out the wing play is OP chatter.

I don't think we can take too much from a stream where their team was setup to play wide with AML AMR and a central striker.

3 minutes ago, Jean0987654321 said:

One thing I noticed about the Alpha live stream is that the duo have no clue on tactics. A top-heavy 4231 formation with two wingers on attack duty? :D

That's asking for trouble :D

I mean sure if you read all the stuff Rashidi and Cleon put out and spend a ton of time talking tactica theory in the tactics forum. 

Then you jump on tactics forums elsewhere and see all the most effective at winning tactics were top heavy and full of attacking duties.

49 minutes ago, treble_yell_:-) said:

Hopefully it'll sort out the wing play is OP chatter.

I don't think we can take too much from a stream where their team was setup to play wide with AML AMR and a central striker.

I didnt notice anything OP tbh.  Maybe I just wasnt looking out for it.  I thought the alpha build looked very solid

13 minutes ago, ChelseaSince86 said:

I didnt notice anything OP tbh.  Maybe I just wasnt looking out for it.  I thought the alpha build looked very solid

Yeah, There's nothing wrong with a top heavy formation, if your defensive game is dependent on a high press. As usual context is key. And so many people seem to forget it. 

vor 23 Stunden schrieb Dagenham_Dave:

Apart from a complete overhaul of the training module

Apart from a complete overhaul of the tactic creator

Apart from a complete overhaul in the customisation of the scouting centre

Apart from a complete overhaul of the game's tutorial

Can I ask what on earth you were actually expecting here? There's a far bigger overhaul in key areas of the game this year than there's been for about 6 years. 

I do not expect overhaul and pixel copying and new ui coloring. For 50-60 Euros each year I expect that they listen to the community very closely and try to realise way more new features/ideas provided. But if you are happy to pay again the full price, go ahead.

4 minutes ago, Moab said:

I do not expect overhaul 

Have you been living in a cave the last few days? There HAS been a major overhaul in the key areas I listed above. 

And all four of the ones I listed WERE on the back of 'listening to the community'. 

It's the most I've looked forward to a release in years, particularly after watching the streams this weekend. The game looks fantastic this year. And yes, I will pay full price for it. £35 for over 1000 hours of gameplay is exceptionally good value. 

43 minutes ago, Defensive said:

I think there was virtually no match over 3 days of stream in which Leverkusen had less than 20 shots per match, even against the best german teams. Is this supposed to be realistic in any way?

You shouldnt use human managed teams as a barometer for realism. What was the rest of the league doing? Ai vs ai is the best way of sense checking the simulation aspects. 

Also 20 shots is not an indication of good or bad play, so not sure why you find the opponent relevant 

7 minuti fa, Moab ha scritto:

I do not expect overhaul and pixel copying and new ui coloring. For 50-60 Euros each year I expect that they listen to the community very closely and try to realise way more new features/ideas provided. But if you are happy to pay again the full price, go ahead.

I really don't think this is fair at all. We don't know anything substantial about the ME from these videos but, SI has listened to the community, upgraded the TC significantly to represent modern football in many aspects. They also completely revamped training and these are two core modules of the game. How well is this represented in the ME is another matter but to say they don't listen is really not fair. 

I've watched a fair bit of all 3 vids on Twitch. On the whole looks great and with a ton of new features, I'm more excited about this version of FM than I have been for years. Really happy I pre-ordered, though I hope they delay Beta until after Tuesday as I have a pile of work to do until then lol ;)

One observation, I'm sure the SI team are aware of it but just to add to the record of this thread. I did notice a few goals from wide players getting to the touchline, then somehow weaving inside and scoring. Felt like a throwback to an earlier version of FM - perhaps FM10?

Also a few too many times that FB/WBs diving into tackles - while that could have been due to TIs / OIs I was a bit concerned to see this.

Still Alpha though so I hope SI are aware of these issues. Many other things looked good.

28 minutes ago, MBarbaric said:

I really don't think this is fair at all. We don't know anything substantial about the ME from these videos but, SI has listened to the community, upgraded the TC significantly to represent modern football in many aspects. They also completely revamped training and these are two core modules of the game. How well is this represented in the ME is another matter but to say they don't listen is really not fair. 

It really depends on the expectations the costumers have for a new version.

You may have low expectations and be amazed. I could have high expectations and be disappointed. It really depends in one views and expectations.

Also it really depends what SI considers a priority or not. For them FM is priority compared to FMT (thus why nothing has been heard from this version of the game). Since SI won't share what are those priorities are, costumers create their versions of said priorities. This why there is such high number of lack consistency from costumers opinions of "The new version has a great number of new features" to "What SI did was simply a reskin of changes of few things and sell it as new game". It is not just SI. Any developer who release any game in yearly basis are subject to that.

I prefer simplicity vs complexity of use.  The levels of complexity are through the rough on FM. I expect SI to clear that complexity of use off, but what I saw doesn't impress me. In fact has been said, the training with schedule was daunting on CM4 (15 years ago), it is still daunting today.

What I'm saying is, we all know development is there, but some question the focus of certain areas compared to others.

10 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Your criticism was that AI squad building was just the same. I have no idea how you can come to this conclusion based on a short video of one person's save in the first transfer window - when most AI controlled sides will already have done the majority of their transfer business when you start the game. You would only really be able to offer any kind of informed opinion on this had you played the game yourself for several seasons. 

You need to re-read what I wrote. I said "it look likes nothing has changed". I never said "nothing has changed". The team made no mention of any changes in this area, and it would not be a change that they would leave for people to figure out. Any changes like this in the past have been mentioned before release. Like I said, we will see if it did change. Feel free to accept my bet though.

38 minutes ago, Lord Rowell said:

I've watched a fair bit of all 3 vids on Twitch. On the whole looks great and with a ton of new features, I'm more excited about this version of FM than I have been for years. Really happy I pre-ordered, though I hope they delay Beta until after Tuesday as I have a pile of work to do until then lol ;)

One observation, I'm sure the SI team are aware of it but just to add to the record of this thread. I did notice a few goals from wide players getting to the touchline, then somehow weaving inside and scoring. Felt like a throwback to an earlier version of FM - perhaps FM10?

Also a few too many times that FB/WBs diving into tackles - while that could have been due to TIs / OIs I was a bit concerned to see this.

Still Alpha though so I hope SI are aware of these issues. Many other things looked good.

Well I am betting on Wednesday, but as previously said, I am interested to see the videos uploaded tomorrow by FM Creators, once the embargo lifts at 4pm.  Be good to get a range of opinions from 5-6 people, hopefully

25 minuti fa, grade ha scritto:

It really depends on the expectations the costumers have for a new version.

You may have low expectations and be amazed. I could have high expectations and be disappointed. It really depends in one views and expectations.

Also it really depends what SI considers a priority or not. For them FM is priority compared to FMT (thus why nothing has been heard from this version of the game). Since SI won't share what are those priorities are, costumers create their versions of said priorities. This why there is such high number of lack consistency from costumers opinions of "The new version has a great number of new features" to "What SI did was simply a reskin of changes of few things and sell it as new game". It is not just SI. Any developer who release any game in yearly basis are subject to that.

I prefer simplicity vs complexity of use.  The levels of complexity are through the rough on FM. I expect SI to clear that complexity of use off, but what I saw doesn't impress me. In fact has been said, the training with schedule was daunting on CM4 (15 years ago), it is still daunting today.

What I'm saying is, we all know development is there, but some question the focus of certain areas compared to others.

fair enough. I guess it comes down to what one finds important about the game. I see the tactics and training as the most important part and I am very happy with the changes announced (remains to be seen how they play out in the ME though). 

I don't think SI were ever especially good at marketing the game so this may also create different expectations and consequences. Complexity is indeed high when it comes to FM. However, I don't think it is complexity itself that is the problem. The bigger problem is poor explanations (especially in the TC ). However, it seems they cleared a lot of that with this release and tactics revamp. 

Training module really looks complex this year but it is indeed exactly as you'd do it in real. except, you don't really have to think up the drills :D however, you can delegate that to your assistant.

If i have any remark at this point... it would be that geggenpressing isn't really a style of play but a defensive behaviour and usually only in the opposition half. So I really don't know how the team is supposed to behave once you have to defend in your half. :D 

regarding frequency of goals from crosses... there have been a few but one can't judge the game based on few key highlights. However, there seems to be alarming lack of support for the full back. basically, as the winger goes by him, there's a free way towards the byline for a cross.

1 hour ago, Lord Rowell said:

I noticed that too but think it mostly makes sense because of the tactics. They were playing the highest pressing, defensive and engagement lines possible and had extremely offensive 'complete wing-backs'. Yes they were behaving like idiots but that's largely what they were instructed to do - act primarily as attacking players looking to do anything they can to win it deep and start a counter rather than concentrate on non conceding goals. What I'm more concerned about is that this seemed to be a default setting in the Gegenpress style when I really don't think it's advisable (in conjunction with a system using two CBs and no DM) unless you're in a completely different class to the opposition.

12 minutos atrás, Spurs08 disse:

I noticed that too but think it mostly makes sense because of the tactics. They were playing the highest pressing, defensive and engagement lines possible and had extremely offensive 'complete wing-backs'. Yes they were behaving like idiots but that's largely what they were instructed to do - act primarily as attacking players looking to do anything they can to win it deep and start a counter rather than concentrate on non conceding goals. What I'm more concerned about is that this seemed to be a default setting in the Gegenpress style when I really don't think it's advisable (in conjunction with a system using two CBs and no DM) unless you're in a completely different class to the opposition.

In the end of the day,it is only a template,you can change it to your vision of how it should work, with your formation and roles, so not too much of a problem in this.

9 minutes ago, masno said:

In the end of the day,it is only a template,you can change it to your vision of how it should work, with your formation and roles, so not too much of a problem in this.

Fine for an experienced player but part of the change is meant to be making tactics more accessible. You should be able to take over e.g. Liverpool who use such a style in real life, select it, and if all other areas of management are fine get a decent albeit not spectacular result - say for them somewhere between 3rd and 6th in the Premier League. Tweaking it alongside enhancing other areas of management should help you push on and change that to e.g. 1st-3rd where they'll likely end up in real life. But I think it's pretty unlikely you'd do even decently without substantially changing that tactic. There'll always be different visions on it but I really can't think of many circumstances bar being a dominant team in your league like PSG or someone where you'd want your primary tactic to have that set-up.

37 minutes ago, Spurs08 said:

Fine for an experienced player but part of the change is meant to be making tactics more accessible. You should be able to take over e.g. Liverpool who use such a style in real life, select it, and if all other areas of management are fine get a decent albeit not spectacular result - say for them somewhere between 3rd and 6th in the Premier League. Tweaking it alongside enhancing other areas of management should help you push on and change that to e.g. 1st-3rd where they'll likely end up in real life. But I think it's pretty unlikely you'd do even decently without substantially changing that tactic. There'll always be different visions on it but I really can't think of many circumstances bar being a dominant team in your league like PSG or someone where you'd want your primary tactic to have that set-up.

I completely agree, and hope that this is the case when the game comes out. I just hope the AI can use it to full effect as well and build squads/youth prospects around their style of football. This would create realistic scenarios where voids are left when managers, staff and long-term players leave a club or retire. 

The only thing that worries me is that there will be certain systems that naturally, are OP. Finding the balance with styles this year will potentially be a key issue for the team.

26 minutes ago, tstbb said:

I completely agree, and hope that this is the case when the game comes out. I just hope the AI can use it to full effect as well and build squads/youth prospects around their style of football. This would create realistic scenarios where voids are left when managers, staff and long-term players leave a club or retire. 

The only thing that worries me is that there will be certain systems that naturally, are OP. Finding the balance with styles this year will potentially be a key issue for the team.

Wow yeah that's a really good point - if the AI is running around with that Gegenpress I don't think they're going to be difficult to beat.

2 horas atrás, Spurs08 disse:

They are more acessible, they are giving new players the base for their ideas, but you can't expect SI to simple give us a full tactic ready to just plug and play. I loved the templates ideas because I can see how a team play in certain style, their roles, and mentality. Will be very useful for experienced and new players. But you need to remember, this still FM, so even new players need to get on with the game, need to learn what the tactics do, it is part of the game, it always was.

The biggest concern afte watching the livestream was the number of total shots made and goals came from crosses..They played against PAOK and they had 41 shots vs 4 and the final score was 2-1..As another one mentioned there were too many shots against Bayern too..This has to be toned down I'm afraid..

Reminds me previous versions of the game when we had too many shots again which was fixed later on...Is this a sign that the AI can't cope with our tactics?Or the same old problem?

The one thing I liked is that finally we had goals from direct free kicks..In FM18 after 2 years of playing with Wolves my players haven't scored not a SINGLE one even than their ratings were above 16 on free kicks..I knew from one point that all Free Kicks will go wide or stopped by the opposition keeper..

5 hours ago, grade said:

Not to that extent. It's a direct response to FM trying to be far too much to far too many different tastes/people. Take this year's key areas. There's a sizeable enough amount of the playerbase who isn't even much interested in tactics/training, perhaps even football, for a start (which is fine, but that's what they have to consider also -- e.g. compromise)  It's also a sim game. Not merely that, it's a sports sim game. Therefore, it also heavily depends on your own interpretation of a) what you think management was like in real life, and b) what football was like in real life. Football isn't quite an exactly researched science. A lot of how you see it will be influenced what's broadcast on TV to. It's also a bit ambiguous from the go, in big parts due to its ultra low scoring nature. Unless SI would start to narrow their customer base down to something more focused than the "general football fan", this will always be there. Then again, as long as it's working out for them, they will continue anyway.

The aforementioned FMT is a great thing to bring up. Once upon a time, it was considered as a fully separate release. IIRC it was pitched as such to SEGA. Think FM Handhelds, etc. Maybe that should have branched off -- but it didn't. As things stand, it's a wee tiny bit like an annual developer of oldschool RPGs that announces a focus on stats, complex combat mechanics and rule systems, character progression and dialogue systems; and then sizeable chunks of the audience would go: "Go **** yourselves." Of course that would never much happen, as it's a much more specific core audience being attracted to the thing in the first place. :D

8 minutes ago, Svenc said:

Not to that extent. It's a direct response to FM trying to be far too much to far too many different tastes/people. Take this year's key areas. There's a sizeable enough amount of the playerbase who isn't even much interested in tactics/training, perhaps even football, for a start. :D It's also a sim game. Not merely that, it's a sports sim game. Therefore, it also heavily depends on your own interpretation of a) what you think management was like in real life, and b) what football was like in real life. Football isn't quite an exactly researched science. A lot of how you see it will be influenced what's broadcast on TV to. It's also a bit ambiguous from the go, in big parts due to its ultra low scoring nature. Unless SI would start to narrow their customer base down to something more focused than the "general football fan", this will always be there. Then again, as long as it's working out for them, they will continue anyway.

I completely agree with both of you on this line of thinking. It is a balancing act at the end of the day: assessing reasonable player suggestions/opinions/criticisms vs the developers' aspirations and "said" goals. I actually think a vast proportion of the community (at least those who have played more than two years worth), were asking for a better tactics and training side to the game. I am so glad that the devs have listened and (so far) delivered on these. 

I think my main criticism of this year's version (despite me not playing it yet - I know), is that a lot of it looks very similar, albeit with a reskin. For example, take the amount of time spent on stream talking about the skin colour change to purple, and how the team spent a great deal of time working on something that stood out. This wasn't a big request that I saw the community at large crying out for and almost every year SI end up changing the skin in some way (whether it be the sidebar, colours, font etc). There were many, many more things such as an updated graphics engine that the community were specifically asking for. I would have personally left all of this the same (I always used the vanilla skin) and left it to the modding/skinning community to figure out. In terms of UI, I would personally have put my efforts to removing a lot of the unnecessary pages found within the game, that little to no one ever uses or clicks on. I am also sure that once the game comes out, players will begin to find minor (or even major) issues that have persisted for a couple of years now that were not addressed. 

hace 5 horas, Alekos dijo:

The biggest concern afte watching the livestream was the number of total shots made and goals came from crosses..They played against PAOK and they had 41 shots vs 4 and the final score was 2-1..As another one mentioned there were too many shots against Bayern too..This has to be toned down I'm afraid..

Reminds me previous versions of the game when we had too many shots again which was fixed later on...Is this a sign that the AI can't cope with our tactics?Or the same old problem?

The one thing I liked is that finally we had goals from direct free kicks..In FM18 after 2 years of playing with Wolves my players haven't scored not a SINGLE one even than their ratings were above 16 on free kicks..I knew from one point that all Free Kicks will go wide or stopped by the opposition keeper..

yes, there are too many shots per game…..SI, please, fix this in the Beta game!!!!. The defence no pressing, the defenders are watching as they shot at goal!!!

Yeah I wouldn't judge too much of the Alpha on the stream.

1) Its not the BETA or full game version

2) Tom and Curtis only did one save with one team

3) They played with wide men so naturally crosses will seem overpowered 

4) Even Curtis said at one point that they are rushing a little bit to show as much of the game as they can so they probably didn't take as much time on tactics as they may normally do

We can all judge for ourselves from Friday. Hoping its out no earlier than Thursday though, too busy up until then!!

21 hours ago, Mensell76 said:

... Regarding the training overhaul: it would be good if a new live stream would focus more on the effect training has on player development and ME. This new training module looks to be very time consuming to set up. It would be a fantastic addition if a positive effect could be shown so that digging into the training settings becomes really rewarding...

This!

I would love to get a straight answer from SI on this,

Do you guys acknowledge that to many of the goals in FM 18 came from crosses? I stopped playing FM 18 due to that the crosses to goal became so repetitive.

The amount of goals coming from crosses on the videos released for FM19 are worrying but it could be due to the tactics they are using.

My concern is, if SI doesn't even agree that FM 18 had issues with to many goals coming from crosses..

1 minute ago, borisbachalov said:

Do you guys acknowledge that to many of the goals in FM 18 came from crosses? I stopped playing FM 18 due to that the crosses to goal became so repetitive.

The amount of goals coming from crosses on the videos released for FM19 are worrying but it could be due to the tactics they are using.

My concern is, if SI doesn't even agree that FM 18 had issues with to many goals coming from crosses..

I don't think the issues with crosses will be properly fixed until a new game engine is introduced. Which should also improve the awful graphics and animations.

Hopefully next year will see some sweeping changes. Text to 2d to 3d. The natural progression is to make the 3d more life-like to represent the on the pitch side of the game better.

4 minutes ago, borisbachalov said:

1 minute ago, trevjim said:

I don't think the issues with crosses will be properly fixed until a new game engine is introduced. Which should also improve the awful graphics and animations.

Hopefully next year will see some sweeping changes. Text to 2d to 3d. The natural progression is to make the 3d more life-like to represent the on the pitch side of the game better.

I don't think people should make sweeping statements tbh.

Especially on the basis of one alpha on a set up that was focused on wide players.

2 minutes ago, trevjim said:

The match engine and the graphics engine are 2 sperate entities. The later is just a visual representation of the former.

There is a new ME in the works iirc but the last time it was mentioned it was said to be many years off.

29 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Especially on the basis of one alpha on a set up that was focused on wide players.

Good point, the sample rate is way to low to make sweeping statements on FM 19 but it's not for FM 18 and I haven't been able to find any acknowledgment from SI that they accept the amount of goals coming from crosses is an an issue. So when I see a large amount of goals coming from crosses in the videos released on FM 19 it doesn't; give me a lot of hope...

32 minutes ago, trevjim said:

Yep I have the same suspicion that the match engine might be flawed from the foundation so that they can't fix the issue because clearly it would have happened already if it was an easy fix? I don't really care about the animations and graphics I'm 2d all the way:)

the OP crosses has been an issue since 17, not just a reflection of the current Alpha

9 minutes ago, trevjim said:

the OP crosses has been an issue since 17, not just a reflection of the current Alpha

But you actually don't have any idea of what the match engine is like in FM19, apart from seeing an alpha that had a set up which focused on going wide.

The beta is out soon enough, would make more sense to wait for that, than make sweeping statements about game engines

Archived