Round of 16: Colombia v England (19:00 BST ITV1)

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do we actually have to go through this again? I don't want to have to go through this again, especially now that this time we have actually do have a hope :( 

From what we've seen so far, a 50-50 game if James is healthy.

England will probably have huge issues with their left flank. Cuadrado will abuse Young and Maguire whole game long.

On the other hand, Colombian defense isn't any better, so a high-scoring game is likely, especially with an early goal.

But, knowing England, they probably bottle it and lose because of a terrible defense/goalkeeper error.

1 minute ago, GunmaN1905 said:

From what we've seen so far, a 50-50 game if James is healthy.

England will probably have huge issues with their left flank. Cuadrado will abuse Young and Maguire whole game long.

On the other hand, Colombian defense isn't any better, so a high-scoring game is likely, especially with an early goal.

But, knowing England, they probably bottle it and lose because of a terrible defense/goalkeeper error.

Could be worse I guess, we could already be out.

I know we are at the point where we want to keep expectations to a minimum as we have had high hopes before and been burned. But. Looking at this side of the draw we should be expecting to get to the final. 

Not having high hopes for your national team is for losers. Can't imagine the Italians or Dutch at Euro 2020 thinking "let's just get to the quarters and that is a good result".

Just now, Craigus89 said:

I know we are at the point where we want to keep expectations to a minimum as we have had high hopes before and been burned. But. Looking at this side of the draw we should be expecting to get to the final. 

Not having high hopes for your national team is for losers. Can't imagine the Italians or Dutch at Euro 2020 thinking "let's just get to the quarters and that is a good result".

I disagree, IF we made the semi finals - we'd be 50/50 with Croatia still. There's no bye through to the final.

1. Unbeaten against Colombia in all time head to head record

2. Unbeaten in all World Cup matches which have immediately followed after a game against Belgium

3. Unbeaten against South American teams that aren't Argentian or Brazil in the Round of 16

Plus how many of these Colombian lads would get into our 23 innit.  Maybe James, Falcao and the fat lad.

It's coming home.

17 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

What makes you think that? Young is pretty strong defensively.

6 minutes ago, Anthrax Dave said:

I would start Rose ahead of Young. Balance to the team, both going forward and defensively.

I would also do this but for different reasons. As much as I think Young is altogether pretty good in the wing back role, I really think Cuadrado could take the **** out of him today, and we probably need a little bit more pace in that role, which Rose gives us.

Only reason I'd play Rose is that Young is a bit too predictable cutting inside when going forward. Defensively, no issues with him. I'd start Young though because as someone said, Rose isn't quite hitting the heights of his red hot form a couple of years ago at the moment.

Just now, Readingfanman said:

You'll be supporting teams from Gibraltar or Nigeria or something soon enough :D 

Teams that are actually part of FIFA? No way. I'm all about silly made up countries like Cascadia :cool:.

Also fwiw I really don't think it's that odd to have no pleasure in supporting a national side that makes me think of stuff like Brexit, EDL, Islamophobia, and idiots like my cousins partner :D.

4 minutes ago, Pukey said:

I miss the days of us being laughably woeful. Likeable wankers making it gutting if we lose instead of funny :( 

Yeah. The fact that we actually have a likeable manager and a pretty likeable squad who seem to relish playing for their country coupled with the way the tournament has opened up for us is going to be proper gutting if we don't make at least the semis. 

24 minutes ago, G-Man11 said:

Also fwiw I really don't think it's that odd to have no pleasure in supporting a national side that makes me think of stuff like Brexit, EDL, Islamophobia, and idiots like my cousins partner :D.

Nah see I think this is nonsense. Groups like the EDL have damaged both the reputation and connotations of the English flag, but we can reclaim it. Don't let the pond-life win!

Archived