Football Manager 2017 Official Feedback Thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What the hell is going on with penalties. I'm fuming here. Domenico Berardi (finishing 16, penalty taking 18, composure 17..) he shoots 4 penalties and misses 3 of them. And all 3 were in the 85-90th minute period of an even game. I have lost 6 damn points over this stupidity!!...The guy has almost perfect attributes and misses 3 out of 4???..Ridicilous!

25 minutes ago, luka_ said:

What the hell is going on with penalties. I'm fuming here. Domenico Berardi (finishing 16, penalty taking 18, composure 17..) he shoots 4 penalties and misses 3 of them. And all 3 were in the 85-90th minute period of an even game. I have lost 6 damn points over this stupidity!!...The guy has almost perfect attributes and misses 3 out of 4???..Ridicilous!

Were the games close at that stage?

Late in the match with the scores close the obvious answer is pressure, what is his pressure attribute? how was he feeling in the game? was he nervous? confident?

9 minutes ago, Cougar2010 said:

Were the games close at that stage?

Late in the match with the scores close the obvious answer is pressure, what is his pressure attribute? how was he feeling in the game? was he nervous? confident?

what do you mean ..pressure attribute? His composure is17. He is a world class forward but has now cost me the title with this misses. I understand if he miss one out of 4 but 3 out of 4 with this attributes is just a travesty. What do you mean close..they were 0-0 games and penalty for me in last 5 minutes after having 20,30 shots and AI having 1 or 2. Absolute domination. 

Just now, luka_ said:

what do you mean ..pressure attribute? His composure is17. He is a world class forward but has now cost me the title with this misses. I understand if he miss one out of 4 but 3 out of 4 with this attributes is just a travesty. What do you mean close..they were 0-0 games and penalty for me in last 5 minutes after having 20,30 shots and AI having 1 or 2. Absolute domination. 

This is your problem, you once again fail to see the bigger picture.

All players have a pressure hidden attribute which can be seen on scout/coach reports or by getting to know your players.  Watching the matches & using the widgets such as body language also help.

0-0, last 5 mins of a match there is a lot of pressure on the penalty taker to win the match for his team.  There are two scenarios here, the first is that he cracks under the pressure while the second is overconfidence/complacency both of which you should be aware of as the manager.

Alternatively despite looking like a good penalty taker on paper he just might not be and yet you continue to let him take them after he missed.

Less blaming the game and more understanding needed.

Yeah, maybe. I am just so mad and angry. I have one defeat in last 38 league games counting last season games and I am still -6 points behind Juventus who are going for their 4th staright title. They are just unbeliavable consistent. And then I have this happen to me..understand my fury!! :)

@luka_

Another way of looking at things might be why have your team seemingly had to rely so heavily on late penalties for those 4 matches?

Again pressure may be at work as @Cougar2010 points out, but this time across more players in your team, not just the pen taker.  Or there could be other underlying issues that you possibly aren't adapting to.

Is there an issue with morale? I keep clicking on players and note they have good or very good morale, then I put them in the team and it's showing poor or very poor? 

This is happening without proceeding through the game, i.e. it's happening on the same day:

Liverpool v Watford_ Liverpool Team Selection Overview.png

Riyad Mahrez_ Overview Profile.png

Liverpool v Watford_ Liverpool Team Selection Overview-2.png

Riyad Mahrez_ Overview Profile-2.png

10 hours ago, luka_ said:

There are certainties in life . If you think a player is going to score at every penalty then you got rocks in your head . 

12 hours ago, martplfc1 said:

Is there an issue with morale? I keep clicking on players and note they have good or very good morale, then I put them in the team and it's showing poor or very poor? 

This is happening without proceeding through the game, i.e. it's happening on the same day:

Liverpool v Watford_ Liverpool Team Selection Overview.png

Riyad Mahrez_ Overview Profile.png

Liverpool v Watford_ Liverpool Team Selection Overview-2.png

Riyad Mahrez_ Overview Profile-2.png

it must be your tactics :lol: 

Defo looks like an issue. The only things it could be otherwise... does the morale change if you load the same day... and put him in his preferred position (rw). Maybe it's when he's put on LW he says boo-hoo...(but if that's the case it shouldn't be until the match starts... otherwise it would happen all the time when I'm choosing my line up as I change formation before removing all players quite often and end up with a striker at left back until I re-arrange).

Or I notice custom skin... maybe whoever made the skin has picked up the morale value from the wrong place.

18 minutes ago, martplfc1 said:

I don't have a custom skin. I've raised it as a bug so will see what SI say.

He plays well enough regardless so it's all good!

On the tactics screen have you added a column for morale?

If so have you picked up the International morale rather than the club morale?

Just now, martplfc1 said:

I will check that @Cougar2010. It shouldn't be showing on his profile though should it?

I've even used the editor to check his actual morale and it coincides with the graphical representation - one minute 14/20, the next 4/20. So I'm a bit baffled!

I can't remember if morale is shown on the tactics screen or not so I'm not sure.

Basically each player has two morale settings - One for club & one for country.  I'm thinking if you've added the column on the tactics screen you've picked one morale (Country) while the profile page is showing the player's club morale.

On the other hand if morale is also on the tactics screen by default and you've added nothing then my point is mute.

I'm not sure on the editor but if you've checked and its fluctuating then it does sound like an issue.  I can't say I've noticed myself.

One other thing you could look out for is does it happen all the time? or maybe perhaps only for players that are in an International squad?  Either way sounds like one for the bugs forum.

I wonder if there has been some cross-over from when I was also England manager?

I don't think I've added international morale on the tactics screen but will double check. Even so, if that is reflected on the player profile screen then that's an issue in itself.

I have raised as a bug so watch this space. 

It's seemingly only happening to Richie Bazoer and Mahrez, both of whom are internationals. I know the latter was 'devistated at missing out on the ACON squad', so the international thing might have some merit. Can't say I've noticed Bazoer being affected internationally though, although he did come to me asking for more game time (to which I agreed and made good on my promise).

20 hours ago, Cougar2010 said:

This is your problem, you once again fail to see the bigger picture.

All players have a pressure hidden attribute which can be seen on scout/coach reports or by getting to know your players.  Watching the matches & using the widgets such as body language also help.

0-0, last 5 mins of a match there is a lot of pressure on the penalty taker to win the match for his team.  There are two scenarios here, the first is that he cracks under the pressure while the second is overconfidence/complacency both of which you should be aware of as the manager.

Alternatively despite looking like a good penalty taker on paper he just might not be and yet you continue to let him take them after he missed.

Less blaming the game and more understanding needed.

Just to reply on this. In the coach report of Berardi it says under PROS: Strong penalty taker

So, maybe I don't know my players. :rolleyes:

Just now, luka_ said:

Just to reply on this. In the coach report of Berardi it says under PROS: Strong penalty taker

So, maybe I don't know my players. :rolleyes:

That will take his Penalty Taking attribute into account, not the context around it, which is the point that's been made.

For me, a player who takes 4 pens in a row, and misses 3 of them is not a strong penalty taker. Btw in the season my team has shot 8 penalties and missed 5. AI also missed at least 3 that I remember. So that is 8 missed penalites. That's just to much, I'm sorry.

• SI Staff
8 minutes ago, luka_ said:

For me, a player who takes 4 pens in a row, and misses 3 of them is not a strong penalty taker. Btw in the season my team has shot 8 penalties and missed 5. AI also missed at least 3 that I remember. So that is 8 missed penalites. That's just to much, I'm sorry.

Hey luka_

If you believe there are too many penalties being missed, especially by players with great attributes for the job, could you please post your examples (PKMs) in here - https://community.sigames.com/forum/515-match-engine-issues/ - our ME team can then look into the issue and compare with our internal stats.

Cheers,
Seb.

14 minutes ago, luka_ said:

So maybe don't let him take penalties?  Just because you can see good attributes on the surface doesn't mean he'll necessarily be great under the hood.  There's a good chance he would, but if he's missing so many, why are you letting him take more?

41 minutes ago, luka_ said:

The point that was made is that he may be a good penalty taker under normal circumstances, but 3 of the 4 situations had a vital piece of context to it - pressure. Now, if he does have a decent pressure attribute and his body language during the game was fine, then you may be looking at an issue.

15 minutes ago, RobertPage said:

Just going to leave this here as a reason on why i hate the social media addition. 

See the menu bar where it says 'Social Media'? Just underneath, see the drop-down menu that currently says 'Social'? Change that to 'News' and those idiots will never bother you again.

It's silly and completely formulaic.

I never look at the news or social feed, but was looking for some info and noticed these in the lead up to the previous two matches:

recordappearance.png

This can probably go on for a while, because they're chasing a moving target. I started a save with all generated players. No one has any history, so the core of first team players have all played about the same amount of matches. Currently in the lead is my goalkeeper. I've been getting these inbox messages in the lead up to every match now for a while.

Erik Toussaint_  Inbox-2.png

Erik Toussaint_  Inbox-3.png

Erik Toussaint_  Inbox-4.png

IF its the first season (2016/17) then I would agree, any other season will mean there is more context at work & whether the behaviour is realistic depends on factors such as the exact text used by the player during your conversaton & your own replies, how much he was used in previous season & player transfers over the summer.

10 hours ago, Cougar2010 said:

On the tactics screen have you added a column for morale?

If so have you picked up the International morale rather than the club morale?

I think I've worked out the problem - instead of choosing "selection" from the drop down menu under "mentality", it was set as "copy of international selection".  So I think you were right, it must have been showing international morale.  Still not sure why using the editor it showed two different values, but meh, thanks for your help.

Ok, so i can finally post again considering it was only meant to be a 1 day ban... months later... anyway this past week i pushed the game into the public beta option, and i am not seeing much differences to be fair, except the fact that your balancing of opponents full backs and wing backs seems to be know highly over balanced and controlled team seems to be severely making mistakes that were not there before, which can be said as a whole it seems like opposition have taken a massive overpowerment since 17.2.1 and its becoming really shocking with some results, and not just me but other people i know that also stream the game have agreed to many of these comments, i have been playing each update a new career using the same team and am often seeing massive changes to budgets, player potentials, player abilities etc, even in my current game where a few players have higher pa, but on another note I'm seeing that the majority of youth, even those scouted using fm genie scout that are meant to have high chances of reaching potential, either never develop or actually seem to go backwards, like there is a bug in there, but some of my regens have developed fairly decently.

the board accepted offers for severall players despite the offers being below the minimum release fee, and the fact that i had optional contract extensions on literally every player i sign, but i have only been able to do it in one case and it caused the player to go from superb morale to abysmal, despite there being some £46million difference between the offered amount and the minimum release fee and the fact that i had only signed the player to a new contract just days before, on that note other players i have signed in the current season most for hefty fees are somehow being poached away a month or two later depite being on full time contracts and the fees being nowhere near what i paid which is kind of stupid, i could understand if they was on youth contracts of amateur contracts but not full time without me even getting a say in it, also the board are still continuing to agree fees despite the fact over the past 3 seasons the players they have agreed to have only made some 45million, whereas the players i have sold have made more than that without potential sell on clauses included, id certainly like to see an improvement here, as i keep losing the majority of my best youth this way and even the majority of my best first team players and each season my squad is getting smaller and smaller and i am pretty much able to do nothing about it.

also despite improving the overall quality of my staff, players and facilities, scouts that i can sign are not even worth signing, i have had 3 assistant managers and 2 u20s assistant managers poached away from me in the past 2 seasons alone, with one having only signed a week prior to moving.

The game seems to crash a heck of a lot more in this public beta mode and the match goal highlights seem to take 5 times as long to load which was already too long as it was, in the last game i played it took 35minutes for a highlight to open up and when it finally closed, the game had also continued on making me miss several moments, in other similar cases, after the goal highlight closes for an opponents goal and identical highlight is shown but an additional goal despite no difference in time is given ??? is that a bug

There is still serious issues with clubs wanting too much money for players but not offering enough for a player, also too many offers that include ,y club having to pay blah blah blah of the wages, id like to see a way to optional auto reject them
, especially in the case where i am letting the player go for either nothing or next to nothing but with high sell on clause, if you cannot stop the board auto accepting offers please make a way that i can be given a chance to look over the offer and try to negotiate in stuff such as loan back clause, sell on clauses etc that the board seem to forget, especially in the cases where i don't have enough players.

i have also seen cases where it has cost some mega millions to construct the tiniest of stadium expansion for example one stream i watched it charged them nearly £60 something million i believe could have been more, for what was just short of 1000 additional seats, yet as the same team i have had a new stadium build for only £75million with massive massive improvements.

in terms of lower clubs, a lot of the youth and even senior players are being seriously under estimated just because of the league they are in, i even tried using the ingame editor mving them to a higher league club and boom suddenly they have much ca and pa what is with that, a players ca and pa shouldn't be affected by the league they are in, as we sometimes see lower division teams can cause upsets but lately i am not seeing that in this game, and even say in the champions league opposition are getting away with more simply because they are the ''bigger club'' such as their player lunges in injures a player for 6+months and gets nothing and other similar tackles multiple times per match, my player, walks backwards into a player from the look of the highlight it was a fair attempt to win the ball but he was given an instant red card for what was classed as his first tackle, in another case, i had a player red carded anda penalty given against us, for what even the highlight had shown to be him heading the ball with no opposition near enough to him.

offside goals are STILL a major issue within this game for the however many games in a row, it is something that i see many people talk about including myself (and i was banned for it last time) opposition getting away with blatant offside goals yet controlled team being called offside very often even if they are clearly onside, the last update was meant to give a fix but i saw nothing new except the fact i was questioned about it.

on that note the being fined warned etc system does not work anymore and the appeals system has major flaws in it too in all parts, for example i was warned and fined for talking about a sending off one of my players that was clearly not desereved which resulted directly in a goal being scored against and losing the game, even the highlight clearly shown it as a perfect win of possession there wasn't even a tackle just my player walked up and ran away with the ball, and some 20 seconds later the player dived to the ground and what do you know oooh its a foul.

appeals on contracts again theres something odd, i signed a player who had already played 2 matches for brazil at the age of 17, 2 seasons in and was rejected a work permit, i signed him anyway and loaned him out to affiliate club, another 2 seasons later and now a regular for brazil some 27 caps and he still cant get a work permit, only 19.

one player i have noticed issues with is Zinedane Zidanes son Enzo Zidane his Pa seems to massively change each time though what i pay for him is often the same only once lower, he has multiple nationality, now I'm every one of my games he has been called up for international but this is where things get weird, in my last and current game, he was called up for France Senior squad, played a game or two and scored one in each and then months later called up for Algeria played two games and scored a brace in 1, and then called up for France senior squad and played 4 games scored several assisted several, and yet his apperances show only 1 international appearance and 3 sub appearances, and from time to time i see his morale drop ''for not being called up'' despite the fact that he has been, i think that too is also a bug.

and despite having more things i could suggest for improvements for now i will just mention one more, some players i have signed, i typically have it set to show only key positions, so there i want to see their absoloute best postions not all positions that have reached 17 which is what natural seems to be classed as, so instead now i have started organsing by training position, but i have noticed some players loosing effectiveness in some positions, while this could be good to reduce that factor it isn't a given that it will happen, and it seems to randomly affect, and then some players for example their clear best positions do not match what the best position otion is, such as Stefan Scougall his best position Central Attacking Midfielder it shows Left Midfielder. i would like to see improvements to the new position training etc, maybe even an untrain option.

please consider atleast some of these suggestions especially the offside goals, that has to be THE most frustrating one, followed by the board sales.

oh and finally the uk leaving eu is meant to random right as are other things well, i have only ever seen it happen at the start of the fourth season to take effect start of fifth season and having the same effect each time, never had a variated result  there

also i have qualified for champions league many a times using Rangers 9 times i think now in 3 games and 14 seasons and i am always placed in group h, and almost always get atleast 2 of the same teams drew in the same group every time, with the exception of current game where i have once again been drew in H but only one team that has appeared in it almost every time.

also to test the things are meant to be random, i created a separate game, and saved prior to a match, played through it roughly 1000 times using the same squad several times, then rotating the squad a bit, rotating tactics a bit and so on, and yet i can say that there is almost a 95% chance the result will be identical every single time ????? even when i fielded a full youth team exact same result. hmm yeah not so random.

but i am happy with some of the improvements the game has made such as the sports scientists etc, though i would like the option to select the club doctor myself rather than it be automatically decided

4 hours ago, Wells said:

@Barside It is the first season and even his squad status is first team, not key player, so I don't know why .

If you have save shortly before the player raises his concerns it's worth raising as a potential bug. I'd be very unhappy to receive a playing time complaint so soon after the game start point.

Can we please have the random player on 2 goals taking a penalty stop! Always seems to happen when you're one goal up late in the game, you miss then the AI scores. I don't care about him getting a hat-trick. You think if Chelsea get a penalty in the remaining 20 odd minutes of their game today, they'll be letting Marcos Alonso take it?

Not really feedback but feel like commenting on this somewhere.... In the first season with a Heracles save in The Netherlands. End of October and we take a 3-0 win over Sparta, who are bottom of the table. Used a lot of second choice players to rest first choice starters. The tactic is a Very Fluid 4-1-4-1 high press that's not really geared to possession (mixed Passing), but my midfield pivot is an MC as a DLP-S who can get over 100 passes in some matches. My backup just completed 175 of 188 passes. That was...  unexpected.

I keep getting press conference questions asking me why I didn't bring on Player X as I lost, completely disregarding the fact that I brought all three subs on, all of whom were also very attacking. Change the rules of the game and I will bring on 4 players, but until then they will have to settle for the three (imo better) players I can bring on.

Also the social media has gotten very formulaic, very quickly, Always 2+/1- or vice versa regardless of the news item. And the number of times I've seen injuries being questioned is ridiculous. It's probably happened a handful of times in real life that I am aware of.

Other than that though, I'm enjoying FM17.

How's everyone finding the current state of the ME? This is the first year in a while I havnt bought FM due to the crossing issue in FM16. I was just wandering if this and other issues have been ironed out?

18 minutes ago, Luizinho said:

How's everyone finding the current state of the ME? This is the first year in a while I havnt bought FM due to the crossing issue in FM16. I was just wandering if this and other issues have been ironed out?

I thought it had been, then 17.2.1 came along. 

38 minutes ago, Luizinho said:

Best bet - try the demo for yourself and make your own mind up.

Archived