FM16 tactics screen discussion

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the real problem is the tactic displayed. It seems very unbalanced and will not provide enough defensive stability through the middle nor proper movements on the wings.

This should be moved to the tactics forum please to improve the initial set up.

---

Jokes aside:

Some things shown in the previews usually still change quite a bit till release. At first glance, it looks rather ugly, esthetically, and, if we have an AMC or DM they will overlap (it looks like). As for function, we can only guess at this point until we see it in action.

Please consider removing that awful box on PC. On touch screen it will be an awesome addition because you could select the desired player far more easily. But in normal mode on PC, which I believe most of us play, it looks bad and makes that screen look way overcrowded. Also I don't see why there's no pitch texture anymore, now it's just plain green. Some things can stay the same for two years in a row, nobody will panic or criticize you for lack of work...

great point; another difference that affects the aesthetics is pitch texture

I think you have to play it before making such a judgement, on first look it doesn't look great but these things can win you over when playing.

From the pics above I do favour FM15, I never like the background arrows on 10,11,12,13.

As for resolution. I have a 22'' screen but prefer to play in windowed mode, in 1024*768 resolution. I played like this for 5 or 6 years in a row. I hope SI won't forget they have that 'windowed' mode and that people use it. Hopefully there won't be a scroll bar for every longer list on the screen.

I also can't imagine what kind of usability does the new look have. What more can it have - you will have to select a position to change anything, which is basically the same level of usability as last year.

Right now, that screenshot only shows that you cannot use central defender, defensive midfielder and a central midfielder at the same time because their huge boxes with shirt numbers will overlap a lot.

Did we not get rid of the sidebar in previous versions of Football Manager because people preferred the top bar. I played about 2 hours of last years FM because i felt the UI was to arcadey. I prefer FM 2014 UI please please please allow us to switch between 2 user interfaces.

+1

I find the sidebar to be annoying and aesthetically unpleasing more than anything. FM12/13/14 were still visually the best-looking versions IMO...

I'm not amazed by anything on the FM forums any more :D

It is an eye-sore though. You couldn't fit 5 midfielders on the pitch!

Again seems to show the direction in which SI/Sega wish to take the game, i.e. a shift away from the traditional to something more compatible for today's gamers. Miles says it has improved usability so I'll wait for the demo to judge any further. I've always liked the "less is more" approach, though.

You don't know that. Wait for more screens or the chance to try it yourself.

From the screenshot posted, I meant, it doesn't look like you can. In reality, of course you'll be able to play a 5 man midfield.

I definitely will reserve judgment until I've played it. Anyway, the tactics screen is hardly a deal breaker, it just looks very cluttered at present.

Surely you've been here long enough to know better now?

Yeah...amazed is the wrong word. Expected but saddened?

So people shouldn't voice their opinions/thoughts on a potential game they will purchase?

Here it comes, another free speech tirade. Anyone can say whatever they want as long as they don't breach the forum rules.

But of course, that means that I can point out how ridiculous it is to kick up a massive fuss - and hilariously talk about usability - over a single screenshot.

Aesthetically, I prefer the shirts too.

Looking at the screens though, FM15 showed only the positional suitability. The new FM16 screen still shows that, with the added role suitability in the pizza wheel/grapefruit/whatever. That might help me appreciate it in the long run.

I never find that role suitability all that accurate anyway, or useful at least.

23m395t.jpg

No comment

2014 and 2015 look the best to me there, 2012 is quite good too, though them shadow arrows up the pitch look daft, glad they ditched them.

Still think 14 was the best for usability, 15 after the patch you could change roles easier, but with 14 you could quickly and handily change role or att/sup/def separately and quickly. I loved pausing in game and quickly switching roles from support to attack to push the pressure, or switch which wing was more aggressive. Can still do that of course, just nowhere near as quickly.

I don't look at it at all as I prefer to judge the suitability for myself, but not everyone will.

Same as that, myself. I guess it's like start ratings, I know people who pick players exclusively based on them, where as more will ignore them if the player does what they want.

I preferred the old 'shirts' in tactics screen, but more than anything else I need players' position visible on the screen! They were removed in FM15 for no reason and apparently they won't be back for FM16... I'd say players' position should be pretty relevant on tactics screen.

I like the wheel having segments so you can actually tell with greater ease exactly how good a player is in that position/role. Being able to change the role on the pitch is great. It looks like it has been dragged from a crappy mobile game though - positively hideous. The aforementioned factors could be added to the FM15 pitch with the shirts, which looks lovely.

If this is indeed to aid with the tablet version, then surely the sensible suggestion would be a tablet skin which can be loaded when using a tablet? Otherwise, FM 16 will become the Windows 8 of the football manager world. Functionality of the main source of use detracted from to expand into a new market. Anyway, I am willing to wait to see how it looks before screaming high heaven. If I still do not like it, I will get a skin, simple.

• Administrators
I see Miles as taken to Twitter to explain that the new tactics screen is better because it has more information. But it just seems to have the same info we see on 2015 version. Only the new one makes peoples eyes bleed.

You're entitled to have your feedback but keep it constructive. The functionality is improved from FM15 to FM16. You can now change the role and duty via the pitch when this couldn't be done in FM15. As Miles has already stated, the usability and functionality has improved.

Likewise the position of the players is now reflected better than previous versions by their positions show on the pitch - however the downside of this is that we can't have 'shirts' as opposed to the icons you seen in the screenshot. That's not to say you won't still get the shirts in other parts of the game where the formation screen is shown, such as the pre-match screen or the match formations during the match environment.

I see Miles as taken to Twitter to explain that the new tactics screen is better because it has more information. But it just seems to have the same info we see on 2015 version. Only the new one makes peoples eyes bleed.

You should be pleased that he takes the time to respond to people who label it a "grotesque, ugly, eye sore" :brock:

Miles has used it, we haven't. Let's wait and see until we all get to use it. Yes, it looks different and people may not like it at first glance, but in this thread people are praising the FM15 tactics UI after it was panned on release.

You should be pleased that he takes the time to respond to people who label it a "grotesque, ugly, eye sore" :brock:

Miles has used it, we haven't. Let's wait and see until we all get to use it. Yes, it looks different and people may not like it at first glance, but in this thread people are praising the FM15 tactics UI after it was panned on release.

Yeah, I really didn't like 15's at first, but after a few weeks, and especially after adding the roles to the bottom of the player icons, I loved it. While I don't like how 16's looks right now, I wouldn't outright reject it without actually using it, or seeing how it looks on my own(I believe much higher res) screen.

Tactis screen and graphics ih awfull...ugly..my opinion is that they should concentrate on match engine rather then roof of stadium (all with same corrosion), manager look, cross like ronaldo (leg behind leg cross). Match engine is most important thing that all players need. We are 3 years now without real match engine. this is shame

But it is those things. It might well be functional, that's not the point I, or the person originally was making. In our opinion its damn ugly.

But it is those things. It might well be functional, that's not the point I, or the person originally was making. In our opinion its damn ugly.

Key parts bolded.

We are 3 years now without real match engine. this is shame

:lol: eh? I'm assuming since you used 3 years, you're referring to FM12. If you think that's "real", then I worry.

but in this thread people are praising the FM15 tactics UI after it was panned on release.

Because it was updated in one of the major patches after the users were unhappy it was lacking information (role and duty).

I understand this whole discussion is based around one single screenshot and nothing more. But getting 130 replies within 24 hours of that screenshot being shown is at least reason to think if that layout really is the best possible choice.

Genuine question: Would you prefer an aesthetically stunning but functionally poor UI over a functional but "grotesque, ugly, eye sore" UI?

I imagine at this stage, yes, people would. Then you'd hit release, it'd be exposed as a complete turd, and the rabble starts louder.

Of course, there could be a middle ground, but I know that's not playing this posting game correctly :p

Thank you. Can you now please go explain that to Miles.

I don't think you got what I was saying. Amazing thing about opinions is that not everyone may share yours. Anyway, you've probably covered it with Miles by wailing about a single screenshot. Maybe it'll make a difference, maybe it won't.

Because it was updated in one of the major patches after the users were unhappy it was lacking information (role and duty).

I understand this whole discussion is based around one single screenshot and nothing more. But getting 130 replies within 24 hours of that screenshot being shown is at least reason to think if that layout really is the best possible choice.

A good point. If we step aside from the visual aspect for the moment, is it felt that this specific screen lacks information? As an example, it does incorporate Role and Duty in the way that the early FM15 UI did not. It shows Role suitability. There are also buttons at the top of the pitch which might depict alternate information too. Obviously the perfect world sees functional beauty but really a UI has to value function first and beauty second.

I don't think you got what I was saying. Amazing thing about opinions is that not everyone may share yours. Anyway, you've probably covered it with Miles by wailing about a single screenshot. Maybe it'll make a difference, maybe it won't.

I don't expect everyone to agree with me (thought plenty seem to with regards to the ugly tactics screen), thats not the issue. The issue is Miles expects me to agree with him!

Surly you need a balance, it needs to function well, but also needs to be pleasing on the eye?

Yes. And I'm no UI designer but I'd hazard a guess that usability is "harder" to achieve than aesthetic quality, so perhaps that was prioritised? Perhaps it's just a duff screenshot? There's no real point debating something that we don't fully understand or have experience of. It's clear that some people aren't big fans of it and that's fine. Perhaps that view will change when we actually use the final version of that bit of UI. Either way, constructive feedback is welcomed.

Genuine question: Would you prefer an aesthetically stunning but functionally poor UI over a functional but "grotesque, ugly, eye sore" UI?

To be honest FM 14 had a aesthetically stunning interface and functionally was superior. Then again, it's what I feel.

You're entitled to have your feedback but keep it constructive. The functionality is improved from FM15 to FM16. You can now change the role and duty via the pitch when this couldn't be done in FM15. As Miles has already stated, the usability and functionality has improved.

Likewise the position of the players is now reflected better than previous versions by their positions show on the pitch - however the downside of this is that we can't have 'shirts' as opposed to the icons you seen in the screenshot. That's not to say you won't still get the shirts in other parts of the game where the formation screen is shown, such as the pre-match screen or the match formations during the match environment.

Oh, really? Do you realise that in FM 2014 you can change role and duty via the pitch? Why you compare with FM 2015? When the UI of FM 2015 was horible, especially the tactics screen. No offence, but is really hideous. The tactics screen of FM 2014 was perfect, i really don't understand why was changed. I made the big mistake to buy FM 2015 and i only played like 10 hours the whole year. I wont buy FM 2016. A huge back step for me.

Does this mean the way the positions move up and down the field by minuscule amounts? It's an idea that did work because a) it's really hard to tell exactly how far up an icon is because the differences are so small, b) the perceived location of an icon is affected by its position relative to other icons (a DLF would seem to move deeper if his partner shifts from CF-S to P), c) different instructions with different roles end up in approximately the same place (AMC-A and DLF-S), and d) it's unintuitive because the differences in roles do not translate to simply being positioned higher or deeper on the field. All of this was part of the reason that actual role information was added back to the pitch view.

So if it allegedly functions well now, how do the improvements address these problems from before? It is not entirely obvious how making the icons breadloaf-shaped and very big addresses these problems.

Archived