Your country's team for 2018

Philip Rolfe

Germany 4-3-3

1st: Neuer - Boateng, Hummels, Badstuber, Durm - Gündogan, Schweinsteiger/Lahm, Kroos - Götze, Müller, Özil

2nd: Ter Stegen - Mustafi, Ginter, Süle, Schmelzer - Can, Goretzka/Meyer, Kramer - Schürrle, Werner, Draxler/Brandt

Darlow (if he commits)/Hennessy

Chris Gunter

Ashley Williams (Someone else if they come through as he'll be 33).

James Chester

Ben Davies

Emyr Huws

Joe Allen

Aaron Ramsey

Harry Wilson

Gareth Bale

Jonny Williams

That would actually be a really good team in 4 years if Harry Wilson and Emyr Huws progress as they're tipped to :*)

It's coming home ...

For Belgium I reckon the team will look almost exactly the same.

Courtois, Alderweireld, Kompany, Vermaelen, Vertonghen, Witsel, De Bruyne, Fellaini/Defour/T.Hazard, E. Hazard, Januzaj, Origi.

A few of them will be 30 or slightly over 30, but I don't currently see anyone who could replace them.

GK: Zdravko Mamić's player

DL: Petar Mamić

DC: Mamić's player

DC: Lovren (Mamić's player)

DR: Mamić's player

MC: Kovačić

MC: Modrić;

MC: Rakitić

AML: Mamić's player

AMR: Mamić's player

ST: Mamić's player

Coach: Zoran Mamić

Australia

First 11

Ryan

Brillante Spiranovic Good Davidson

Luongo Jedinak

Kruse De Silva Oar

Taggart

Second XI

Langerak

Franjic Wright Williams Lowry

Holland Bozanic

Halloran Rogic Leckie

Juric

What about Ryan McGowan?

I do like these things. There is a tendency to get a bit carried away and totally change the squad. If you look from World Cup to World Cup there is rarely such a massive, massive difference in the team, like 8 or 9 changes but these articles never fail to get excited

I mean, you can never say with injuries and things but two of them putting Patrick Roberts in there, for starters. I hope so but we have no clue at this stage

Henry Winter clinging onto Rodwell ... I bet he had Rodwell for this tournament when he did this last time around :D

There's nothing to suggest Hart won't be the keeper or Butland will even get a game atm. No Rooney :rolleyes: and no Cahill either, almost entirely new back 4 with Shaw as first choice now

because of Rooney's superman job at Euro 2004, he would have to turn horrifically bad in the Premiership to not get into the England squads of 2016 and 2018

even at 32, he'll still have that mantra of "he could still turn it on" like he did in Portugal. Plus he'll probably be the England all time top scorer by then as he's not too far away

Those BBC lists are baffling. We all know Rooney will be chosen in 4 years time.

Hart

Clyne

Jones

Stones

Shaw

Henderson

Wilshere

Sterling

Barkley

Walcott/Ox

Rooney (Being Englands record goal-scorer).

Will we see the links of Chalobah, Roberts, Wilson(I can only hope) etc in 2018?

I wouldn't be surprised to not see Rooney in the first XI, potentially could be in squad but not first XI no way.

Hart: Shaw, Stones, Cahil, Jones: Henderson, Crowley, Barkley: Ox, Sterling, Sturridge.

Can't see many pushing their way into the first XI who wasn't part of the squad this time round in four years time. Think injuries will catch up with Walcott by then and he'll be in the squad but not a starter, Sturridge if he keeps up the form he's shown the past 18 months will be the number 9 every game from now on. CB's we're iffy on atm, Cahil I could see still being a starter if he continues at a decent level by then playing regularly. Jones in at RB because we'll have made a hash out of that position (always one position where we squeeze someone in where it's not their natural position and can see the RB being that position this time come 2018, due to Clyne/Flanagan etc not kicking on as well as we hoped and Jones still playing his bit part at Man Utd still to keep his 'rep high'). The attacking trio all have potential to blend together well over these next few years but game time could be a huge factor, Ox may not be a regular starter for Arsenal and if Barkley moves to a big club like a City could fall into the same scenario, whilst my long shot in breaking into the side would be Crowley of Arsenal, who from the clips I saw of him last season (especially against P'boro) looks a proper player, like Wilshere did at that level, but without injuries and a better focus could easily have same impact as Wilshere did and go further.

Rui Patrício

Fábio Coentrão

Tiago Ilori

Paulo Oliveira / Luís Neto

João Cancelo

William Carvalho

João Moutinho / João Mário

Marcos "Rony" Lopes / Bernardo Silva

Cristiano Ronaldo

Bruma / Rafa Silva

Nelson Oliveira / Gonçalo Paciência / Betinho

Not terribly excited as lots of these kids have a LOT to prove, and the current bunch will just be past it by then.

• Administrators

Can't see many pushing their way into the first XI who wasn't part of the squad this time round in four years time.

Well certainly not 'many', but four years ago Raheem Sterling had just left QPR and signed for Liverpool and whilst he didn't play much Luke Shaw was still at school. Someone'll emerge and be in contention and pretty much nobody here atm (apart from those sad enough to know of U14s and U15s at other clubs, ahem...) will have heard of them, I kinda like that.

Rooney will be in the squad although he'll be 32 and he does seem like he is starting to deteriorate (personal opinion), so unless I am totally wrong I cannot see him starting.

I can see the XI being:

Hart

Clyne? - This is the postion where we desperately need someone to break through.

Cahill

Jones/Smalling - which ever one really kicks on at Man Utd

Shaw

Henderson

Wilshere

Barkley

Ox

Sturridge/Rooney

Sterling

Obviously it depends how alot of these players progress, it also wouldn't suprise me if 3/4 players emerge in the next 4 years.

Well certainly not 'many', but four years ago Raheem Sterling had just left QPR and signed for Liverpool and whilst he didn't play much Luke Shaw was still at school. Someone'll emerge and be in contention and pretty much nobody here atm (apart from those sad enough to know of U14s and U15s at other clubs, ahem...) will have heard of them, I kinda like that.

Hopefully one of that Chelsea youth side

Guzan

Yedlin

Brooks

Gonzalez

F. Johnson

Bradley

Zelalem

Green

Nagbe

...Shipp I guess?

Johannsson

all assuming Zelalem chooses the US ofc... and there'll probably be some up and coming MLS stars that make the roster.

If Klinsmann is still the coach there will be some new faces from Germany as well. ;)

Scotland's a tough one...

GK: Allan McGregor - only 36 so likely to still be in the PL and Scotland NT. If not then David Marshall who'll be 33.

RB: Russell Martin - might be captain by this point, will only be 32 so no reason he won't still be around.

CB: Grant Hanley - he's future captain of the national side I think, only 22 atm so he'll be in his prime.

CB: John Souttar - maybe 2018 is too soon for him but he's a bright young prospect and surely part of the NT.

LB: Lee Wallace - should really be our LB atm, but because he's in a lower division he 'doesn't count'. Will only be 30 by '18. Maybe Andrew Robertson instead.

DM: Liam Bridcutt - only 25 atm, so will likely be involved in the NT. Darren Fletcher and Scott Brown will be gone, so Bridcutt will be needed.

MC: Very hard to say. Current crop likely to be gone, a lot to choose from in the future... maybe Fyvie, McCabe, Bannan, Herron...

MC: Likewise hard to say. More players to be mentioned but cba.

RW: Steven Naismith - pretty involved in the NT atm and will only be 31 come '18. Will likely still be playing for us unless his career goes awry. Gary McKay-Steven maybe.

LW: Ryan Gauld - if he develops as well as he should being at Sporting then he'll be a big player for us in the future. Stuart Armstrong maybe. Snoddy only 30 though.

ST: Jordan Rhodes - sooner or later he's gonna have to be picked. He's the best striker we have, can't keep ignoring him ffs.

A lot of players likely to still be around I think, only a few new faces in, mostly in the centre of the pitch. Couple probably still be around but not starting (Scott Brown will be 32 by then).

MC: Very hard to say. Current crop likely to be gone, a lot to choose from in the future... maybe Fyvie, McCabe, Bannan, Herron...

If Barry Bannan is still hovering around the Scotland squad come 2018 then I'm going to hurl myself from the Forth Road Bridge.

He's the Scot Gemmil of the 2010's. Loiters around for long enough to gain 30 caps at the rate of 2 per year.

Brazil could be:

Diego Alves

Rafael

Dedé (or Thiago Silva)

Marquinhos

Alex Sandro

Sandro

Fernandinho

Oscar (or Coutinho)

Willian

Neymar

Alan Kardec

--

So if Brazil reach the quarter-finals, it will be a good job.

For Belgium I reckon the team will look almost exactly the same.

Courtois, Alderweireld, Kompany, Vermaelen, Vertonghen, Witsel, De Bruyne, Fellaini/Defour/T.Hazard, E. Hazard, Januzaj, Origi.

A few of them will be 30 or slightly over 30, but I don't currently see anyone who could replace them.

This would be bad news for Belgium. As an Ajax guy you know I like Alderweireld and especially Vertonghen, but both are not full- or wingbacks. They are both excellent at the center. I suppose Vertonghen should play as LCV with Vermaelen benched. Alderweireld should probably be on the bench behind Kompany. I sadly do not know any good Belgian left and right wingback players. Hopefully a few good ones pop up over the next few years.

As for Holland, every tough at the moment.

Cilessen / Krul

Janmaat / van Rhijn / (someone undiscovered; both right backs are mediocre)

De Vrij (probably the safest bet as RCV) / Veltman (great development past season, wondering if he keeps his current trajectory)

Martins Indi / Rekik / Kongolo / Denswil (Not sure about the LCV position yet)

Van Aanholt / Willems (Some undiscovered? In truth, not many hugely talented players here)

Blind / De Jong

Strootman

Clasie / Van Ginkel / Klaassen / Maher / Vilhena (Strootman's partner is unclear. A host of players to choose from)

Depay / Boëtius

Zivkovic

Kishna / Promes

So many youngster who have everything to prove. Some will probably disappoint, some might have a great breakthrough. I expect the Dutch team to be weakend if Robben (who will be 33 in 2018) is not present.

Australia

First 11

Ryan

Brillante Spiranovic Good Davidson

Luongo Jedinak

Kruse De Silva Oar

Taggart

Second XI

Langerak

Franjic Wright Williams Lowry

Holland Bozanic

Halloran Rogic Leckie

Juric

I'm thinking

Mathew Ryan - 26

Ivan Franjic - 30

Rhys Williams - 30

Matthew Spiranovic - 30

Jason Davidson - 27

Mark Milligan - 32

Mile Jedinak - 33

Robbie Kruse - 29

Tom Rogic - 25

Tommy Oar - 26

Tomi Juric - 26

Germany 4-3-3

1st: Neuer - Boateng, Hummels, Badstuber, Durm - Gündogan, Schweinsteiger/Lahm, Kroos - Götze, Müller, Özil

2nd: Ter Stegen - Mustafi, Ginter, Süle, Schmelzer - Can, Goretzka/Meyer, Kramer - Schürrle, Werner, Draxler/Brandt

Largely agree with this, although probably I'd have Reus in for Özil and Özil in the second XI ahead of whichever of Draxler or Brandt aren't performing at the time.

Scuffet/Sirigu; De Sciglio, Ranocchia, Chiellini, Murru; Sturaro, Verratti, De Rossi; Berardi, Balotelli, Insigne

Something like that. We're really short of quality young central defenders coming through - Romagnoli the only one I can think of. But Chiellini will only be 33, which is a reasonable age for a defender. And I'm still backing Ranocchia. Most of our midfielders in this year's squad are 30, or very close to, and the only one who I anticipate still being good enough well into their 30s is De Rossi.

Largely agree with this, although probably I'd have Reus in for Özil and Özil in the second XI ahead of whichever of Draxler or Brandt aren't performing at the time.

I totally forgot about Reus which is quite strange as I included Badstuber and Gündogan! It doesn't really matter that much as there soo many good wingers/attacking midfielders. ;)

Marshall

Martin?

Hanley

Souttar

Robertson

Bridcutt

Mulgrew

Armstrong

Gauld

Snodgrass/Naismith

Stevie May or Rhodes

Potentially mcathur instead of Mulgrew, forgot about him

Broonie could still be around the squad or he could have retired dependant on his fitness as he's had issues

Henderson could be about aswell dependant on progression

I think Callum Paterson is seriously worth a shout at right back for Scotland. Physically he's so far ahead of the rest of our youngsters and scored 11 goals last season, 6 or 7 of them while playing at right back. When he's not inexplicably played up front he's a very good player.

I totally forgot about Reus which is quite strange as I included Badstuber and Gündogan! It doesn't really matter that much as there soo many good wingers/attacking midfielders. ;)

Indeed, spoiled for choice at the moment! Great, isn't it? :D

I think Callum Paterson is seriously worth a shout at right back for Scotland. Physically he's so far ahead of the rest of our youngsters and scored 11 goals last season, 6 or 7 of them while playing at right back. When he's not inexplicably played up front he's a very good player.

Let's hope he nails down a position and doesn't get ruined by playing numerous positions

Archived