Would you manage your rival?

Would you manage a rival?  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Would you manage a rival?

• Yes
    • No

It would depend on how my career was going. If i started off as a un-employed manager making my way to the top and i had an job offer from Everton (as a LFC fan) unless i was doing extremely well and had been at the same club for a number of years then i would take the job. If i started as Liverpool i would never move to Everton or Manchester United

I would - Football Manager is not real life so I put any real life support/rivalries to one side. I'm a Forest fan and have managed teams against them on previous games and celebrated wins against them - won 4-0 at the City Ground with Oxford on my last save. Once I manage someone else, they become 'us' and Forest are just another team. Therefore, if the opportunity arose, I would manage Derby.

Actually, thinking about it, I would feel a bit dirty!

i am a liverpool fan, and i was in charge of them for 7 years. but even when arsenal came after me i turned them down, wouldn`t call them a main rival but still in the top 5 i would never take in charge for. same for scum united and city, everton and even chelsea.

United fan checking in. There are different levels of rivalry for me, so my answer differs.

Rivalry based on history: I wouldn't manage Leeds or Liverpool. Neither are competing for trophies these days, so not a direct threat, but because of the history I couldn't bring myself to do it. City are competing, but I'd still never take them over.

Rivalry based on competing for trophies: Other than City, Chelsea as the main rivals to the Premier League. I'd consider the job if they were struggling, but wouldn't want to take over a good team already winning.

I would - Football Manager is not real life so I put any real life support/rivalries to one side.

Fair enough, though I like being driven by the passion both ways, not just when being at favourite clubs, but also gunning for certain other teams whoever I'm at.

I would and I have. As a lifelong Hearts fan, I have previously had successful spells with Hibs. I like the fact that in-game now, the media points out that they're a team you really shouldn't be at. It happens in real life too, with players as well as managers. One of the best examples ever happened in Edinburgh when childhood Hibs fan John Robertson signed for Hearts and went on to be the club's all-time record goalscorer, also scoring more goals against Hibs than any other player in Hibs' history.

I'm a Liverpool fan and would never manage Everton! how could you cheer on a team you dislike in RL???

managed Man Utd on CM 01/02 though! we did well actually winning the Champions League and Premier League in the space of 3 seasons! never again though!

As an NUFC fan I think I could manage Sunderland in FM. I think what might actually be a good thing as well is that there would be no room for sentiment. When managing Newcastle on FM, I don't like to sell certain players, (irrespective of their rating/quality in-game and/or whether or not they fit into my plans & tactics overall), because I am fans of them IRL, I don't have that problem when managing other clubs on the game. I would be able to build my own squad and sell whoever I wanted. I don't think I'd have much of a problem doing it, although how long I would stick with the game is another story....

very true, when im Man Utd on FM i tend to use my RL thoughts of the players and people who i find real good players in RL i just tend to stick by them in the club which could be a negative thing for me but as im Arsenal on the file im on right now i can buy and sell whoever i like because i dont have specific thoughts for most of these players really

As a Chelsea fan I took over Liverpool with a second manager and had them sign my most overpriced player with massive salary, bonuses and 50% a year rises on a 5 year contract, they already had 2 players on match highest earner and they went into admin twice I think and were in the Championship 2 seasons later with no additional work from me. :(

As an NUFC fan I think I could manage Sunderland in FM. I think what might actually be a good thing as well is that there would be no room for sentiment. When managing Newcastle on FM, I don't like to sell certain players, (irrespective of their rating/quality in-game and/or whether or not they fit into my plans & tactics overall), because I am fans of them IRL, I don't have that problem when managing other clubs on the game. I would be able to build my own squad and sell whoever I wanted. I don't think I'd have much of a problem doing it, although how long I would stick with the game is another story....

This is why I don't manage Spurs. My real life feelings overrule my thoughts in-game and so my judgement is clouded.

I mostly manage Liverpool because I have no animosity towards them, and my Dad was a fan so I kinda like them because of him.

are we talking in-game or in the real world?

to both questions, yes I would!

and, in the real world, whoever answers "no" is deluded! sure, i hate their guts, but who would pass the chance of managing man utd and getting trophies in your CV?! You're a professional, act like one!

I've done it before years ago on an older game.

I signed loads of bad GK's, giving them massive long contracts & sold / released as many of their good players as possible before inevitably getting the sack.

They still got relegated though so my mission was successful ! :lol:

Archived