The 'How Do I Pronounce That?' Thread sponsored by David Pleat

• Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Balazs Dzsudzsak

I don't actually know but after from hearing it (before they found their pronunciation) I pronounced it as:

Ba-laz Dzud-zshak

I can't explain the latter part of the name with letters but I pronounce it like "shack" but more z like. Kinda like a Spanish J on Jack sound. Lol.

dnt really have 1 for anyone else...

my bad, nevermind

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Inoncencio (Brazil)

In-non Sense See Oh

That's what I've been saying. In Brazil they call Mancini. Man-see-knee, right? As opposed to a proper Italian pronounciation of Man-Chi-Knee.

Personally I would say "Inn-onn Thenf-fio" But see what you mean about different dialects

Well if my support of Speedway has taught me anything it's how to pronounce the Poles.

Balash ju-jak.

Approximately, except he's not a pole, but Hungarian.

Balázs Dzsudzsák does not equal Balazs Dzsudzsak, notice the little commas on the a's, the first a does not have one and it's pronounced more like the o in hot. The other a's are clear like in father.

Also the zs is pronounced like the ge in rouge

[ˈbɒlaːʒ ˈd͡ʒud͡ʒaːk]

so the end result is something like

Bolage Jujak

Not important, but also of note, Hungarian names follow the eastern name order, so this guy in Hungary is called Dzsudzsák Balázs.

got a Danish bloke called Kenneth Zohore?

is it like Za-whore?

or Zo-horr-ey? (horr like horror)

got an italian called Enrico Sgherri (Enrico i'm fine with) Sgherri however is the problem (Sug-herr-ee?)

Although it isn't a Danish surname the way it is pronounced in the Danish press is "Zo-whore" with some emphasis on the "e" almost making it "Zo-whoré"

My mate calls Shevchenko, "Shevanenko". He's just strange though. He just can't seem to say Shevchenko.

I heard David Pleat call him 'Shevalenko' once. Genius.

And although off-topic, this is worth mentioning; I once worked with a guy who managed to pronounce Quentin Tarantino as 'Quarantine Tornado'. He was denser than a neutron star, though, bless him. I laughed so hard I nearly pulled a muscle!

I have a few I've always wanted to know in my squad:

Carlos Monje (Spanish)

Deniz Kalayci (German)

Alfredo Huarte (Spanish)

Imanol Goikoetxea (Spanish)

Carlos Mon-yay or maybe Mon-yuh

Den-its Ka-lay-chee or Ka-ly-chee

Alfredo Hw-art-uh Or Hw-art-ay

Imanol Goy-kuh-chay-uh

All just wild stabs in the dark. :)

Carlos Monje (Spanish)

Carlos MON-cheh [like Scottish "ch" in loch, not like standard "ch"]

Deniz Kalayci (German)

In standard German should be Deniz Ka-LIE-tzee... Then again depending on the ethnicity it might change, but Germans do transliterate names and surnames to accomodate the actual pronounciation to German ortography...

Alfredo Huarte (Spanish)

Al-FREH-doh Hwu-AHR-teh ("te" like in tent but longer

Imanol Goikoetxea (Spanish)

Ee-ma-NOL Goy-koh-eh-CHE-ah ["che" like in chess]

Manuel Campisi

Ted Bosch

Dauoda coulibaly

Ronald De Leeuw

I think Manuel is pronaounced Mánwell with the "w" being more of a slight "oo" sound. Campisi would be something like Come-pee-see, but i'm noit sure about the stresses.

Ted Bosch is pronounced the same as Ted (like in Teddy Roosevelt) Bos (as in Who's The Boss), the "ch" has no sound in this case. Just an old dutch word that meant forest. The word for forest nowadays is just bos, without the ch. Its only used in surnames and some town names, like " 's Herthogenbosch "(nowadays primarily known as Den Bosch, like in FC Den Bosch (say: èf cay (see below for correct sound) Dan ("an" like "then") Boss).

Daouda Coulibaly would be Da-ooh-da Coo-lee-ba-lee I think, probably a Malian name.

Ronald de Leeuw is Ronald, like in english, but with an "a" as in "are" and an "o" as in "boat". So Roanàld, and not the english Ronneld. De with the "e" like in "the" and Leeuw is something like Lay, but without the j-sound and finished like a cat's meaow, so Layw. Hard to explain. We dutch would write the english word Lay phonetically as Leej, so loose the j-sound and you have it, just add the ow part of "meaow". Means Ronald the Lion in dutch. The "d" is not a capital by the way, thats a silly rule: only when teh first name is in front of it it is a small d, without the first name, it's a capital D. So "Ronald de Leeuw scores!", and "And De Leeuw scores".

• 2 weeks later...
So Kuijte is pronounced as Dirk Kuyt and adding an "uh"

True, but the "uy" (or "ui" in normal dutch words) is very hard to phonetically explain in english. English tend to make Cruijff sound like Croyf and Dirk Kuyt like Durk Koyt. But the ui (or uij/uy)-sound is a sound not known to the english language. I've tried to find an english word that resembles it, but I havent been able to find one. The same goes for the "ij" or "ei" sound, very common in dutch, but almost unpronouncable for foreigners. Try to explain to an englishman how to pronounce the city where football club Telstar resides, which is IJmuiden. And yes, with two capitals, IJ is seen as one letter and as such in names and at the start of a sentence are capital I and capital J, something that is often wrong in FM. So it's Jan IJzerman, and not Jan Ijzerman (that looks rediculous to a dutchman).

The i in Dirk is like the i in "it" by the way. And the r is a bit harder, more from the back of the throat.

And it's not Burgkamp, but Bergkamp (e like in "bear" and a as in "arm", g very raw, like a rasp in your throat).

Other typical dutch lettercombi's are "ou" or "au" (which are pronounced as in "now"), "oe" (pronounced as in "you) and "eu" (like "her"). So Jeroen Bouma is Ye (like the) roun (like you) Bow (like now) mah (like obama).

Ilian Micanski/Mitsanski - 1.FC Kaiserslautern

Ciprian Deac - FC Schalke

Klaas-Jan Huntelaar (is it Hüntelaar or Huntelaar?) - FC Schalke

Grafite - VfL Wolfsburg (The German reporters use all varieties... Grafité, Grafitch, Grafit, Grafitɘ...)

Klaas-Jan Huntelaar (is it Hüntelaar or Huntelaar?) - FC Schalke

It's Huntelaar, no umlaut.

Klaas - long a, sounding like 'aah'

Jan - j sounding like the y in 'young'; short a sounding the the a in 'are'

Huntelaar - Hunt the same as in English, e sounding like 'eh', double a the same as in Klaas

It's Huntelaar, no umlaut.

Klaas - long a, sounding like 'aah'

Jan - j sounding like the y in 'young'; short a sounding the the a in 'are'

Huntelaar - Hunt the same as in English, e sounding like 'eh', double a the same as in Klaas

Thanks for the explanation of a native speaker. Wonder where the German reporters got the Hüntelaar from.

So IPA would be: [hʌntəla:r]

It amazes me that Dutch is such a hard language for non-Dutch to work out the pronunciation of stuff. I always presumed it was similar in terms of word sounds to German, but being an ignorant Englishman I guess I was pretty wrong :p

Anyways, I've got one that's confusing me:

Luis Solignac

Looking at his name I'd have thought it would have a similar pronunciation to cognac (the drink), but he's Argentine with no second nationality and no history at all in France as far as I can tell, so that doesn't make sense to me.

Archived