How do you choose your FM manager name?

Now I'm guessing that most people are just using their own real name.  But for those who don't, how do you name your manager?

Do you use a name of a great newgen from a previous save, a big footballing name from the past, a name appropriate to the country you're managing in, a joke name?  Do you always use the same name or change it every save?

Tell us about your manager naming methods ...

Edited by rp1966

16 minutes ago, rp1966 said:

Do you use a name of a great newgen from a previous save

Yup. Got a youth intake kid with 197-200 PA (cant remember exact number) one save and he's been one of my manager names since. In FM24 I even added his son in as a future regen, so he should pop up any season now. 

Only right that I should reply to my own question.

So, I used to just use my real name all the time, but went through a phase of playing double-headed games with one manager in the EPL and one journeyman so I needed multiple manager names.  This led to me starting to adopt a new manager name for each save (stops things getting confusing in the hall of fame, too).  So I have a few methods:

For European clubs I'll use a country specific variant of my real name (my first name has a version in most European countries, though I need to get inventive with my surname)

For UK saves I'll often use 'Ron Manager' - stolen from The Fast Show, which I guess dates me!

For non-European saves (like my current Japan one) I try to make up an appropriate name for the country - so my current manager is Takeshi (from Altered Carbon, the Netflix series) Murakami (one of my favourite authors).  Funnily enough, this is a combination that the game can generate for newgens and there's a team in the league with a young striker called Takeshi Murakami - would have signed him, but he wasn't good enough

I use a made up name for some fun.

For my first name I use one of my dogs (retired racing Greyhounds) and then add Taz for the last name.  

As you can imagine I tend to look for players with Pace to add to my team (see a theme).

Random name generator, or a former real-life player, or a former wonderkid. 

I sometimes use a photo of people in bands I like from the country as well and create 3D versions of them using that feature. For example, when I was managing in France once, I had my avatar as Joe Duplantier from Gojira, just with a different name. 

I usually use my middle names (I have two middle names IRL).

Recently I chose Titan as my first name followed by my mom's maiden name. I chose Titan because it sounded like Tite, the former head coach of the Brazilian national team during the World Cup IRL.

But now I'm thinking, maybe I should chose a variation of Jose Mourinho since he's my avatar picture...

12 hours ago, phd_angel said:

I usually use my middle names (I have two middle names IRL).

Recently I chose Titan as my first name followed by my mom's maiden name. I chose Titan because it sounded like Tite, the former head coach of the Brazilian national team during the World Cup IRL.

But now I'm thinking, maybe I should chose a variation of Jose Mourinho since he's my avatar picture...

Using the letters in the name "Jose Mourinho," you can create the name "Romeo Joinus."

If I don't use my own name, I use one of two other options.

If it's a save I'm streaming on Twitch, I use my channel name which is Exploding Carrot.

If it's not a stream save, I use the name Chuck McGlumpher which is a name which appears in a Billy Connolly song.

I usually impersonate a former player of the club I'm going to manage

ATM for example I'm Manuel Pascali at Kilmarnock, in FM 23 Miroslav Klose at Kaiserslautern, in FM22 was Marcos Senna at Villareal, in FM 21 Ruud van Nistelrooij at Heerenveen...and so on, I found this way give me the best immersion in the game

I used my name only when I made journeyman saves from bottom leagues around the world to the top, but now I can't play that kind of save anymore because it takes too much playing time that I simply don't have

I used ot use my real name but that is already enough to make id abuse possible so i use a made up name since many years.

(Yeah, i had my bank account fraudulent misused by someone else without even having online banking enabled at all only by knowing my name)

The name i use now is made from 2 names i used in MMOs for the reason of being uniqe and not needing me to put numerals on it like in "Legolas1929" (made up name) whch i deeply dislike (unless the game is set in an universe where all names are made from numbers or you play a nameless prisoner i.e.).

If that inculdes creative spelling i am ok with it as long i do not have to use numbers.

Thats all - i guard my privacy.

Edited by Etebaer

On 22/12/2023 at 13:33, Fox-7- said:

I usually impersonate a former player of the club I'm going to manage

ATM for example I'm Manuel Pascali at Kilmarnock, in FM 23 Miroslav Klose at Kaiserslautern, in FM22 was Marcos Senna at Villareal, in FM 21 Ruud van Nistelrooij at Heerenveen...and so on, I found this way give me the best immersion in the game

I used my name only when I made journeyman saves from bottom leagues around the world to the top, but now I can't play that kind of save anymore because it takes too much playing time that I simply don't have

This.

When I manage a club which is run by a manager I like and I feel he suits the club, I impersonate him. For example, I play as Arteta when I manage Arsenal, Xavi when I'm at Barcelona, etc.

On the other hand, when I have a save with a team which, in my opinion, doesn't have a proper manager, I choose one that I think would fit such a club best, preferably a former player. With Ajax I use Patrick Kluivert, at Hibernian Scott Brown, and at Napoli Thiago Motta.

There are situations when my club doesn't have a proper manager and I can't think of anyone who could be a good match, and then I create an imaginary manager who previously was a youth coach at the club and was given a chance to run the first team. I give him the highest badge, but a Sunday league rep, and choose maximum points for working with youngsters and youngster knowledge. For instance, when I play at BVB I am Martin Bierhals, and when leading a Spanish team I'm Mikel Paredes.

Finally, when I play my most important save - Zero To Hero - I'm either myself or my favourite imaginary manager - born in London, a big fan of Arsenal: Michael Soprano. The surname is obviously inspired by my favourite series The Sopranos, but don't worry, the manager doesn't have any mob ties... In both cases, I have no badges and Sunday league rep.

A lot of u use former players names. How does that work with those players being in the actual games as coaches? 

some here have mentioned Klose, Senna, Van Nistelrooy, etc all those guys are in the game as hireable staff, maybe not fm24 as I havnt checked, but in other versions, ive hired them. 

doesnt that kill your immersion? Or do u remove them via editor?

1 hour ago, Dadecane said:

A lot of u use former players names. How does that work with those players being in the actual games as coaches? 

some here have mentioned Klose, Senna, Van Nistelrooy, etc all those guys are in the game as hireable staff, maybe not fm24 as I havnt checked, but in other versions, ive hired them. 

I just set nicknames to them, like instead Miroslav Klose I would name him as Miroslav Schmidt, etc.

I use authentic names or names of favourite newgens from prev saves.

All started from Francesco Ferro - I generated this on some website about names in different countries. It sounds great for me and I used this. And this name style of F.F. started to be my schtick. Flavio Fuentes in Portugal, for example.

The most funny thing, one of my favourite newgens has the same F.F. name! His name is Franco Fugueiredo and I used him too :) 

4 ore fa, Dadecane ha scritto:

Nah, as I play almost short-term saves (6-7 season) the real counterparts in game doesn't get involved as head coaches, so they don't became 'main carachters' in my saves. I basically let them have their own career in the save as staff members around the world and avoid to sing them in my team.

However, to avoid this 'immersion issue', when I plan a save I don't choose a former player that has already a coaching career at good levsls IRL, so i.e. I never played as Steven Gerrard, De Zerbi or Arteta