Football Manager 2024 Official Feedback Thread

24 minutes ago, isoche said:

I know thats a familiar complaint but as long as its not fixed, people will continue to complain.. Of course some will say they dont experience it. I dont experince in some leagues or some matches too, and not in every career.

But in my current career in France as Lyon, i started to win against everyone like 4-0, 5-0, im literally putting my tactic defensive after scoring 1 or 2 goals so that i dont score more every match.. Because its very unrealistic when you score 20-25 goals in 5 matches. Even if you have a really good squad (well not PSG level) and even if you have a gegenpress tactic... When will this fixed? Why are people being ignored? I dont think there is a need to upload the save. I'm playing a gegenpress football but this cant justify it. Do we really have to wait until new match engine?

The trouble with this complaint is that the ME's main problem is that it creates far too many chances* and that is, given the length of time it's been a problem, a very difficult thing to resolve. So every time there's a groundswell of 'too many goals' complaints all SI do is nerf attacking play and the ME becomes dull and sterile. The FM 24 ME has already taken a step in that direction - the play in the final third is nowhere near and fluid as varied now as during the beta. Another nerf would kill it completely, leaving it like the awful FM20 engine.

* not enough breakdowns of play in midfield or on the edge of the area, far too many defenders putting it out for a corner instead of getting control of the ball etc.  Basically real games are much more in the midfield than any FM ME which sees too many attacks complete without mistake or interception.

Edited by rp1966

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 dakika önce, rp1966 said:

The trouble with this complaint is that the ME's main problem is that it creates far too many chances and that is, given the length of time it's been a problem, a very difficult thing to resolve. So every time there's a groundswell of 'too many goals' complaints all SI do is nerf attacking play and the ME becomes dull and sterile. The FM 24 ME has already taken a step in that direction - the play in the final third is nowhere near and fluid as varied now as during the beta. Another nerf would kill it completely, leaving it like the awful FM20 engine.

I really hated the FM20's one on ones, but its not worse than getting scores like 4-0 5-1 5-2 every match. Definetly FM24's match engine is best of all years but i still think its very very unbalanced. It forces me to play 3-5-2 or 5-3-2 defensive because im sick of seeing highlights every 5 minute.

4 hours ago, LeoFM said:

For me this is the most frustrating thing in the FM24 match engine at the moment.

This happens so many times per game and it's just very unrealistic. On this occasion we were 2-0 down as well.

looks like he tried a long shot having spotted the keeper off his line but totally messed it up

I still see a lot of big clubs trying to loan my players on very modest fees and not having the funds to complete the deal, Anyone else see this?

1 hour ago, janrzm said:

I still see a lot of big clubs trying to loan my players on very modest fees and not having the funds to complete the deal, Anyone else see this?

Yes. This is addressed in the next patch. 

10 hours ago, jeru said:

At this point I honestly wonder if SI have the first clue about what top flight elite level football looks as like the ME is so deeply flawed in concept that it’s will never be anything other than a results simulation not a football simulation. What is the point of asking players to cross low and cross less and work the ball into the box when all they do is stand up far post floated crosses to the far post despite being told not to do that. Honestly the concept of team instructions being slight tendency modifiers is so far removed from reality I don’t understand SI logic at all, do we think if pep tells jack grealish to hug the line and recycle the ball if he started standing up far post crosses he would be subbed and not play

SI elite level players are elite level players because they can execute a coach’s plan, it’s not a tendency it’s not a negotiable it’s absolute if I want my players to play through the middle they will do it, not spray wide passes and run down the wings like forest gump to stand up a cross from the byline. The game is so flawed as a simulation that it’s basically a meme at this point. 

FM24 ME is the most on rails version there is you can’t influence how it plays much at all the ball will go wide and there will be a cross attempt which will go out for a corner or lead to a chance usually a far post header, that’s it that’s you lot you can influence how quickly it goes wide but basically there is zero central play and a massive tendency to pass wide. 

Yes but you're here long enough to know the game's not worth buying before last patch and there's demo to try too. By doing the opposite you are actually supporting SI policy. 

I stopped playing the game after fm21, same issues year after year, minimal progress, defending looks like 12 years old play etc.

The only thing i ask SI to for the final patch is to make the game hard. 

The game has been eased to a point to cater the casual audience that its not even slightly fun for the above avg user.

Winning league is fun, but doing so without much effort goes against everything football manager used to stand for as a game.

I hope you understand

13 hours ago, jeru said:

At this point I honestly wonder if SI have the first clue about what top flight elite level football looks as like the ME is so deeply flawed in concept that it’s will never be anything other than a results simulation not a football simulation. What is the point of asking players to cross low and cross less and work the ball into the box when all they do is stand up far post floated crosses to the far post despite being told not to do that. Honestly the concept of team instructions being slight tendency modifiers is so far removed from reality I don’t understand SI logic at all, do we think if pep tells jack grealish to hug the line and recycle the ball if he started standing up far post crosses he would be subbed and not play

SI elite level players are elite level players because they can execute a coach’s plan, it’s not a tendency it’s not a negotiable it’s absolute if I want my players to play through the middle they will do it, not spray wide passes and run down the wings like forest gump to stand up a cross from the byline. The game is so flawed as a simulation that it’s basically a meme at this point. 

FM24 ME is the most on rails version there is you can’t influence how it plays much at all the ball will go wide and there will be a cross attempt which will go out for a corner or lead to a chance usually a far post header, that’s it that’s you lot you can influence how quickly it goes wide but basically there is zero central play and a massive tendency to pass wide. 

A useful trick I use when confronted with something perplexing is to ask "why would smart, well-meaning people who care about what they are doing and want it to be great, do this thing this way?". It is possible that you will still conclude that they are in fact useless idiots, but starting there is much less interesting.

Your point about players following instructions is an interesting one. Grealish did indeed spend a lot of time on the bench until he learned what Guardiola wanted. In FM terms this meant unlearning some PPMs, improving mental attributes like teamwork and positioning, and tactical familiarity. The ability to micromanage TIs and PIs also suggests that manager control of tactics is very much part of SIs plan. So they do understand football and they are trying to give us the tools to replicate it.

Where this ambition gets compromised is in the need to make tactics accessible to the very large majority of FM players who do not come to this forum, do not study Rashidi's guides and just want to bash out a few matches managing their favourite club after a long day at work. For this majority SI have created pre-defined packages of PIs in the form of Roles. Many of these enrage me. Why does my AP have shoot less? Why do almost all the striker roles have to move into channels? Why are wide players all told to dribble more? I would happily have a tickbox in options to remove all roles and be able to add all instructions myself. But that's overwheming for the 99.86% (true fact!) of FM players who are not tactics nerds.

You also need to accept some responsibility if you want to micromanage players. Are you scouting for players with high teamwork and mentals? Guardiola does. Do you get multiple scout reports into their character so you have an idea of temperament and professionalism? Not all players can do this stuff. Rafa Benitez gave up telling Gerrard what to do because good old Stevie G was basically incapable of following tactical direction and simply piled forward, PPMs to the fore, much like your fullbacks it seems :).

Edited by NineCloudNine

29 minutes ago, NineCloudNine said:

A useful trick I use when confronted with something perplexing is to ask "why would smart, well-meaning people who care about what they are doing and want it to be great, do this thing this way?". It is possible that you will still conclude that they are in fact useless idiots, but starting there is much less interesting.

Your point about players following instructions is an interesting one. Grealish did indeed spend a lot of time on the bench until he learned what Guardiola wanted. In FM terms this meant unlearning some PPMs, improving mental attributes like teamwork and positioning, and tactical familiarity. The ability to micromanage TIs and PIs also suggests that manager control of tactics is very much part of SIs plan. So they do understand football and they are trying to give us the tools to replicate it.

Where this ambition gets compromised is in the need to make tactics accessible to the very large majority of FM players who do not come to this forum, do not study Rashidi's guides and just want to bash out a few matches managing their favourite club after a long day at work. For this majority SI have created pre-defined packages of PIs in the form of Roles. Many of these enrage me. Why does my AP have shoot less? Why do almost all the striker roles have to move into channels? Why are wide players all told to dribble more? I would happily have a tickbox in options to remove all roles and be able to add all instructions myself. But that's overwheming for the 99.86% (true fact!) of FM players who are not tactics nerds.

You also need to accept some responsibility if you want to micromanage players. Are you scouting for players with high teamwork and mentals? Guardiola does. Do you get multiple scout reports into their character so you have an idea of temperament and professionalism? Not all players can do this stuff. Rafa Benitez gave up telling Gerrard what to do because good old Stevie G was basically incapable of following tactical direction and simply piled forward, PPMs to the fore, much like your fullbacks it seems :).

Have in mind all games have some competition but FM doesn't unfortunately. And that's a difference. There is also possibility that ME team lacks staff or vision or even quality. Any pro even semi pro player would understand and execute coach's idea holding up the ball and not floating crosses into box without much problem. That's not micromanaging. Also I don't understand why do you need hardworking winger to understand such simple instructions? And I really doubt Gerrard was incapable of following instructions it was more probably the fact he could play his own game because he was Gerrard.

3 minutes ago, Mitja said:

Have in mind all games have some competition but FM doesn't unfortunately. And that's a difference. There is also possibility that ME team lacks staff or vision or even quality. Any pro even semi pro player would understand and execute coach's idea holding up the ball and not floating crosses into box without much problem. That's not micromanaging.

Your point about lack of competition is a good one. And it is possible that there's laziness or a lack of vision. I just like to play the mental game of assuming otherwise until I am left with no alternative. If you or any other poster here has concluded that laziness/lack of understanding of football is the problem then there's no hope and you should cut your losses and move on. There's no point posting here unless you think there is a chance of your concerns being addressed.

4 hours ago, Mitja said:

Yes but you're here long enough to know the game's not worth buying before last patch and there's demo to try too. By doing the opposite you are actually supporting SI policy. 

I stopped playing the game after fm21, same issues year after year, minimal progress, defending looks like 12 years old play etc.

This is so true,i always wait until march since 20/21/22/23 but the headline features and the promise of the most complete game yet got to me for 24..plus i thought this is the last iteration of this game as we know it-Surely it will be great out of the box....well............ the rest is history

4 hours ago, Razal said:

The only thing i ask SI to for the final patch is to make the game hard. 

The game has been eased to a point to cater the casual audience that its not even slightly fun for the above avg user.

Winning league is fun, but doing so without much effort goes against everything football manager used to stand for as a game.

I hope you understand

Meanwhile i site here losing 1-0 games that i should at least get a draw. Yeah.. so easy

image.png.2dfe4fe1feec300efd43c529c02f3614.pngimage.png.969ddba7560d29936954066b64af9fa8.png

9 minutes ago, Lempicka said:

Anyone else seeing fouls in the penalty area that don't seem to match the animation? I'm seeing perfectly timed tackles on screen being given as penalties.

... and the reverse.  Seeing a lot of things that look like they should be penalties accompanied by the 'great intervention' commentary and also something totally innocuous will happen and the VAR box pops up to give a penalty.  On those ones it doesn't help that you don't get a replay of the actual penalty incident.  But it does seem that there's a bit  of a mismatch happening between penalty incidents and the animations we see. 

One thing in ME to be fair i never seen it in any FM is no rotations is sense of Mezzala or CM in attack sometimes dropping very wide and deep to support the build up while the WCB gets high and wide and wingback narrow (Inter buildup pattern) the problem with FM is very very linear like CM(a) or mezzala can drop sometimes deep centrally but 99% of time he is making runs and playing a very one dimensional game, i mean if i put him on support he doesn't attack the box so you are stuck with 2 one dimensional ways of playing a CM which in real life is completely different, you see CM going up and down support build up attack the box never has this happened with FM, it just the code in ME can't allow it to happen, only "viable" way to do this is to play SV(a) in a 3 DM stuff he starts very deep then attack the box but doesn't feel best i mean i want to do this from CM strata not DM cause we also know the shape off the ball is the UI on screen.

11 saat önce, g1nh0 said:

This, and allow different tactical approaches to actually work. Super high lines and gegenpressing is getting extremely boring and stupidly overpowered this year. You're forced to play this style, especially when online against other users only using this approach.

Exactly. I don't wanna play this style. I want to find the tactic my team can play. I don't wanna just run everywhere.

3 hours ago, sverige91 said:

Is there any news about January transfer update patch? or Should we expect an update in March?

At this point i dont know weather the patch will fix anything.

Miles said that most of the team already moved on to FM25

Am 4.2.2024 um 14:35 schrieb andu1:

Meanwhile i site here losing 1-0 games that i should at least get a draw. Yeah.. so easy

The shot on target stat says otherwise with 9 to 1 and 4 to 1 on target for the winner.

The question is why did the losing team miss so many shots?

Find it strange there's no option to tell an agent something along the lines of "sorry mate, but £170M for your player is obscene." Just something that explains that your budget just won't allow for you to progress with a deal. You currently have options to disagree with everything on the players side such as their wage, their playing time, any promises they want made, but nothing that can just end negotiations with "that's too big a transfer fee."

I'd also like to see clubs more open to deals where clauses are involved. The transfer value guides are clearly all upfront money, and adding in clauses tends to stump up the deal to excessive amounts.

I really miss the days early on prior to release, where we had clear information and expectations from SI as to the shortcomings of the past editions, and what we should expect in the future (aka Miles’ apology).

Now that we have this most complete version ever, it seems to have dried up again.

Edited by sthptngomad76

4 hours ago, WelshMourinho said:

Find it strange there's no option to tell an agent something along the lines of "sorry mate, but £170M for your player is obscene." Just something that explains that your budget just won't allow for you to progress with a deal. You currently have options to disagree with everything on the players side such as their wage, their playing time, any promises they want made, but nothing that can just end negotiations with "that's too big a transfer fee."

I'd also like to see clubs more open to deals where clauses are involved. The transfer value guides are clearly all upfront money, and adding in clauses tends to stump up the deal to excessive amounts.

That's also how wage negotiation works.  The agent says £30,000/week, but what he means is £30kpw, plus a 10% annual wage increase plus kicker clauses that double his wage at 5 and 15 club appearances, and if you tell him you'll pay £30kpw he'll close negotiations.

Is there any chance the new game will have real stadiums?

And I hope managers get a bit more freedom especially when it comes to arranging friendlies being able to 

change the time of fixtures checking weather etc

22 minutes ago, chris72 said:

I'd imagine very, very unlikely.  You'd have to pay to use the likeness, which I imagine wouldn't be cheap, and unless the graphical engine takes a massive step forward, what's really the point?  You barely see them anyway.

On 05/02/2024 at 00:25, g1nh0 said:

This, and allow different tactical approaches to actually work. Super high lines and gegenpressing is getting extremely boring and stupidly overpowered this year. You're forced to play this style, especially when online against other users only using this approach.

And even those styles don't work as they should like in real life. Defenders can pass the ball around all day, every team makes at the very least 80% succesfull passes and more often dan not 90% or more. How many blitzkrieg pressing actions have you seen in FM from a maxed out gegenpress team? This year, the game really is shambolic.

6 hours ago, Razal said:

The only way i see a future for Footballer manager is letting someone else take the charge.

Someone young and has idea on development, not someone like miles who came in as just a publisher.

They need to understand that going toward tge arcade direction is not the right way for a simulation game

Beware. Last edition, I made a likewise suggestion, because I have the feeling there's vision about real life football lacking - and even Miles suggested FM23 was underwhelming, and I don't know what can be said about the "ultimate edition: FM 24". In football analogy: a manager would've been sacked way earlier. But then there was a backlas, that it's unfair (and less kind words) to suggest that Miles MAYBE has to (let) go.

Am 5.2.2024 um 00:25 schrieb g1nh0:

I played FM Online and a high intensity attacking approach was the way to go bcs ultra defensive would not make you lose but also not win and a win is 3 times the success to a draw.

The thing then is that football is the game of paradoxons:

The better you are defensively the more you can attack and the better you attack the more defensive you can play!

And the oposite:

The weaker your attack is the less you must attack and the weaker you defense is the less you must defend!

Edited by Etebaer

With 

8 hours ago, forameuss said:

I'd imagine very, very unlikely.  You'd have to pay to use the likeness, which I imagine wouldn't be cheap, and unless the graphical engine takes a massive step forward, what's really the point?  You barely see them anyway.

with unity anything is possible 

9 hours ago, forameuss said:

If they already have licensed teams in the game and a new unity engine next year it would be a good marketing win for them.

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw the Etihad and the Amex next year.

9 hours ago, chris72 said:

And I hope managers get a bit more freedom especially when it comes to arranging friendlies being able to 

change the time of fixtures checking weather etc

I thought we might see this trialled at one point, there was a version of the game a few years back when they did some versions licenced to specific teams (can't remember which teams though or find it online)

So for example, if I'm a Liverpool supporter I might happily pay a tenner more for a version of the game which is Liverpool specific and has Anfield accurately modelled in it. At least then, you get to play 50% of your games in a realistic setting.......

Edited by janrzm

37 minutes ago, chris72 said:

With 

Unity doesn't make licensing costs any less ridiculous for something you see for a fraction of your time playing.

Not to mention that saying something like you have is almost certainly going to lead to disappointment in the Autumn.  Unity isn't some magic bullet that's going to solve every one of the game's ills.  It's far more likely to produce a product with far more issues than 24 has, at least initially.

1 minute ago, Dotsworthy said:

If they already have licensed teams in the game and a new unity engine next year it would be a good marketing win for them.

Licensed teams isn't always going to mean licensed stadiums.  

On 05/02/2024 at 17:46, Razal said:

At this point i dont know weather the patch will fix anything.

Miles said that most of the team already moved on to FM25

If they fail to make a substantial improvement in this patch, then my confidence in SI will be completely shot tbh. They've had plenty of time to take on a lot of feedback, and should at least be in a position to make this a decent solid game especially with all the promises made, albeit with some flaws that will likely have to remain.

And this focus needs to have been made in the critical areas, which ultimately needs to be on balanced gameplay and difficulty, and any problems that really should not be evident / or considerably impacts the game, such as the current scouting issues and poor interactions.

I'm not sure it can be forgivable if the above is not addressed to a good, or ideally a very good standard.

1 hour ago, janrzm said:

I thought we might see this trialled at one point, there was a version of the game a few years back when they did some versions licenced to specific teams (can't remember which teams though or find it online)

So for example, if I'm a Liverpool supporter I might happily pay a tenner more for a version of the game which is Liverpool specific and has Anfield accurately modelled in it. At least then, you get to play 50% of your games in a realistic setting.......

It's was Arsenal ... You got the Official logo etc 

1 hour ago, Dotsworthy said:

As mentioned you dont get to see much of the stadium when playing but it woukd be awesome to get some new camera angles and a preview if your stadium at certain points . I think everyone is after mire variations of stadiums that are out there from just a field to a small stadium,  to a medium stadium with corners . Boutique stadiums etc etc . 

10 hours ago, chris72 said:

With 

There is nothing technically stopping SI from adding identical stadiums to real life, however some lawyers would probably jump that like wolves and demand horribly big amounts of money for it. Because this is how licensing works, unfortunately. (There is a reason why some teams have the wrong names in the game, and it's not because SI don't know the real name)

12 hours ago, alian62 said:

As mentioned you dont get to see much of the stadium when playing but it woukd be awesome to get some new camera angles and a preview if your stadium at certain points . I think everyone is after mire variations of stadiums that are out there from just a field to a small stadium,  to a medium stadium with corners . Boutique stadiums etc etc . 

Imagine viewing the game through a certain player's pov. Would be nice for player career mode time, where you choose where you will play in the world through agent or on your own. 

Le 03/02/2024 à 08:20, rp1966 a dit :

The trouble with this complaint is that the ME's main problem is that it creates far too many chances* and that is, given the length of time it's been a problem, a very difficult thing to resolve. So every time there's a groundswell of 'too many goals' complaints all SI do is nerf attacking play and the ME becomes dull and sterile. The FM 24 ME has already taken a step in that direction - the play in the final third is nowhere near and fluid as varied now as during the beta. Another nerf would kill it completely, leaving it like the awful FM20 engine.

* not enough breakdowns of play in midfield or on the edge of the area, far too many defenders putting it out for a corner instead of getting control of the ball etc.  Basically real games are much more in the midfield than any FM ME which sees too many attacks complete without mistake or interception.

Thank you! This is the clearest explenation of what i rant about since last patch.

I'll add, that there are still a lot of pretty high score, even with a duller game. So it didn't even fix the problem... I, personaly, would love to get back to the beta engine. But, i can not have this option.