Final: Argentina vs France, 3PM GMT, Lusail Iconic Stadium

Darius1998

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Woke up in time to watch the Canadian pre-game crew decide that two weeks after Canada was eliminated, it was again time to double down on the idea that Croatia would never have beaten Canada if the coach hadn’t insulted their country (he didn’t), and failed to apologize (he did).  Then they went into a great rant about the fact that the next great Canadian talent may never be discovered because we’re “not a soccer nation”, and the government should heavily subsidize leagues at all levels, because apparently talent at the game is undiscoverable unless you play 100 community games a year before you are 12.  I repeat the point: at the end of today’s match we will have media from 31 teams claiming referees took them out, and that will increase to 47 in three and a half years time, especially on social media mechanized posts, but Canada is the undisputed winner of the World Cup of broadcasting self-loathing.

1 minute ago, McBruce said:

Woke up in time to watch the Canadian pre-game crew decide that two weeks after Canada was eliminated, it was again time to double down on the idea that Croatia would never have beaten Canada if the coach hadn’t insulted their country (he didn’t), and failed to apologize (he did).  Then they went into a great rant about the fact that the next great Canadian talent may never be discovered because we’re “not a soccer nation”, and the government should heavily subsidize leagues at all levels, because apparently talent at the game is undiscoverable unless you play 100 community games a year before you are 12.  I repeat the point: at the end of today’s match we will have media from 31 teams claiming referees took them out, and that will increase to 47 in three and a half years time, especially on social media mechanized posts, but Canada is the undisputed winner of the World Cup of broadcasting self-loathing.

That's incredible :D Can't believe how overblown that "**** Croatia" comment was, and Canada have come from very rarely qualifying to coming in and playing quite well, not sure what your media were expecting.

Just now, Rebs said:

Hugo Lloris has been superb this tournament...yet I just know in 8 days time he's going to have fumbled an own goal and given away a penalty within the first 45 minutes against Brentford ffs.

Last time he was on one of these like today, he fumbled a goal. Technically not an owngoal, though. 

This will probably look super silly in three hours time but I can't see this finishing a tight, one-goal-in-it game...it's either gonna be Messi dominating or something daft like Messi missing a penalty and France running out 5-0 winners. Feels like the narrative is TOO STRONG for it not to be memorable.

1 minute ago, titchuk said:

This will probably look super silly in three hours time but I can't see this finishing a tight, one-goal-in-it game...it's either gonna be Messi dominating or something daft like Messi missing a penalty and France running out 5-0 winners. Feels like the narrative is TOO STRONG for it not to be memorable.

It's going to be 1-0, Tchouameni header in a corner that deflects off Molina's arse onto the post and in.

10 minutes ago, Rebs said:

Hugo Lloris has been superb this tournament...yet I just know in 8 days time he's going to have fumbled an own goal and given away a penalty within the first 45 minutes against Brentford ffs.

He had some proper shaky moments in the group stages with the ball at his feet.

Just now, EnterUsernameHere said:

All these comparisons are actually a bit insulting to Messi. Mbappe is good but cmon, even with a hat trick today he's nowhere near Messi.

His numbers are actually better than what Messi had at 23, but numbers don't compare to eye test and it's obvious it's not even close.