Argentina vs Australia, Round of 16. Live at 7pm GMT from Ahmad bin Ali Stadium

RTHerringbone

Lionel Messi makes his 1,000th career appearance today as he hopes to inspire Argentina to a Quarter-Final place against the Dutch on Friday; it'll be his 169th international cap.

Argentina are 2nd favourites for the World Cup (behind Brazil) but coach Scaloni has been moaning about Australia having an extra 4 hours rest since the last game (!) Still, Scaloni doesn't have to call on players from Stoke City, Colombus Crew and Adelaide United, so I'm sure they'll be fine.

Teams should be announced at about 6pm GMT.

Match facts pinched from the BBC site:

• Australia's only win in seven games against Argentina was in their first meeting in 1988. Current Socceroos boss Arnold played in that match.
  • Argentina have reached the World Cup knockout stage for the ninth time in the last 10 World Cups.
  • Messi has had 23 efforts without scoring in the World Cup knockout stages for Argentina.
  • Australia have won consecutive matches and kept consecutive clean sheets for the first time at the World Cup. Their previous clean sheet before their two in this tournament was back in 1974.

Screenshot 2022-12-03 17.45.05.png

Screenshot 2022-12-03 17.46.53.png

Edited by RTHerringbone

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Believe it or not, there have been some previous competitive meetings between these two.  They ended up in a two-legged playoff for one of the final places at USA 94.  Argentina weren't good enough to take one of the three automatic CONMEBOL spots that year, even though they had just won the Copa America.  So they ended up in the inter-continental playoffs.  Won 1-0 in Buenos Aires after the Aussies held them to a 1-1 draw in Sydney.

Also the Confederations Cup in Germany in 2005.  4-2 win for Argentina in Nuremberg.  I was actually at that game :D  Can't remember much about it though.

On one hand I don't want Messi to win because of insufferable fanboys and there are some more easily dislikeable players on the squad, but on the other hand you've got this:

Not a single nation in the world comes even close to them when it comes to passion about football, especially the NT.

Can you imagine legends of any other big nation being like this? Especially after some of them were treated so poorly during their NT days.

Just insane how much they love the sport.

Oh, and Messi goes LEVEL with Paolo Maldini on 23 World Cup games.  Joint third on the all-time list.

Reminder that he is on course to break the record if Argentina make the semis.  Semi final would be his 25th game, then either the final or the third place playoff to come.

25 - Lothar Matthaus
24 - Miroslav Klose
23 - Paolo Maldini, Lionel Messi
21 - Uwe Seeler, Władysław Żmuda, Diego Maradona

3 minutes ago, Rebs said:

Says it all when everyone I know and see in the media would be happy for Messi to win a WC and yet no one would want Ronaldo to do the same. 

I wouldn’t mind seeing Ronaldo win the World Cup tbf, if not just for the meltdown on here.

3 minutes ago, Rebs said:

Says it all when everyone I know and see in the media would be happy for Messi to win a WC and yet no one would want Ronaldo to do the same. 

Yeah I was just thinking about how sad it feels to know that we'll only see a couple more Messi appearances at a World Cup but I'm totally ambivalent about the same applying for Ronaldo. 

4 minutes ago, Weezer said:

I wouldn’t mind seeing Ronaldo win the World Cup tbf, if not just for the meltdown on here.

The full mod room would need to be online to keep to melt and then implode on itself.

Butwould it be a Portugal - Argentina final, it would be even worse.

For tactical reasons I would love Australia to win but I just can't imagine it happening. Should Argentina beat the Netherlands next game, I would love for them to win the tournament. It would settle the GOAT question, too.