Match 26 - Belgium vs Morocco 1pm GMT. Live from the Al Thumana Stadium

Darius1998

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Gary_Parker said:

Such a horrible set of defenders for Belgium now. So off the pace, slow and old. Surely this has to be the end for Vertongen, Alderwiereld, Witzel and Hazard, get the young generation blooded in. 

The two CBs that started should not be starting over Faes. Need pace in a defence.

2 minutes ago, Aitutaki said:

Would love a Morocco world cup at some point

Lost out to the North American bid for 2026.

If the World Cup does go back to Africa any time soon, you'd think Morocco would have the strongest case for hosting it.

14 minutes ago, Aitutaki said:

Waste of an incredible generation sticking with Martinez for so long.  They should have been winning tournaments with this team.

Should they? Beat Brazil at the last WC, beat England twice, losing to Wales at 2016 is the one bad result they had at past tournaments imo.

They've always had places to fill in the starting XI.

But surely they should have some more dynamism, just get a rubbish pace merchant on the wing or something.

7 minutes ago, CFuller said:

Lost out to the North American bid for 2026.

If the World Cup does go back to Africa any time soon, you'd think Morocco would have the strongest case for hosting it.

Morocco bidding again for 2030 iirc, but I can't see them getting it.

Probably would have had a shout if they'd gone in with Spain and Portugal; that was a combined UEFA/Africa "Mediterranean" bid that was on the table at one point.  But now Spain and Portugal look like going in with Ukraine (:D), and Morocco are either going it alone or maybe teaming up with another north African country.

Just now, Rob1981 said:

Probably would have had a shout if they'd gone in with Spain and Portugal; that was a combined UEFA/Africa "Mediterranean" bid that was on the table at one point.  But now Spain and Portugal look like going in with Ukraine (:D), and Morocco are either going it alone or maybe teaming up with another north African country.

Aren't Uruguay putting in a bid or at least a co host bid due to it being 100 years since they hosted the first WC?

5 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Shame, England would have probably based themselves in Cadiz or La Linea.

4 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

Aren't Uruguay putting in a bid or at least a co host bid due to it being 100 years since they hosted the first WC?

Yeah, Uruguay are going in with Argentina, Paraguay and Chile.  Think that's got to be the favourite, or at least it's the sentimental choice.

I thought Spain/Portugal was a decent alternative if they don't want to have three WCs in a row outside of Europe... but Ukraine joining that bid is ludicrous.  Not least because they will have to make a decision in only about 18 months, and there's every chance Ukraine will still be a warzone then.

2 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Yeah, Uruguay are going in with Argentina, Paraguay and Chile.  Think that's got to be the favourite, or at least it's the sentimental choice.

I thought Spain/Portugal was a decent alternative if they don't want to have three WCs in a row outside of Europe... but Ukraine joining that bid is ludicrous.  Not least because they will have to make a decision in only about 18 months, and there's every chance Ukraine will still be a warzone then.

Spain, Portugal + Morocco would make far more sense than having Ukraine co-host it.

5 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Interesting to see what they do with Russia. My guess is they end up in Asian qualifying even if the Asian sides don’t want them there. Can’t really see how they stay in UEFA for club or international football. 

Makes it much easier for them to qualify for future world cups anyway you would think. 

Edited by PaulHartman71

Just now, PaulHartman71 said:

Interesting to see what they do with Russia. My guess is they end up in Asian qualifying even if the Asian sides don’t want them there. Can’t really see how they stay in UEFA for club or international football. 

The former Soviet bloc in Asia will support their entry. Japan, South Korea, Taiwan and Australia the only real objections I can foresee.

3 minutes ago, PaulHartman71 said:

Makes it much easier for them to qualify for future world cups anyway you would think. 

That would make managing Russian teams in FM more interesting too.

disappointing to say the least, seems in both games we weren't able to create a lot which is very worrying

being positive you could argue we still have it in our own hands

but if the Cro-Can match ends in such a way we need the win against Croatia, I don't think we'll make it (even with Lukaku)

13 minutes ago, PaulHartman71 said:

Jeez, that dressing room must be an absolute state. 

That's a wrong quote because it was Eden Hazard who made the comment about our defense being old. But yeah, the dressing room isn't optimal, I'm sure of that. Too many players over their peak but still thinking they are worth of a starting spot (like E. Hazard) while others who merit that starting spot more are left on the side (how must Trossard feel when E. Hazard got subbed for ... Dries Mertens instead of him??)..

And sure, it isn't the youngest team, by far, but Ivan Perisic is 33 too and he ran Canada rampant today... Modric 37 joined in the fun of running the midfield. Much better than Kevin De Bruyne who just isn't up the level he is when playing for Manchester City. But then again, Kevin did complain many times already about the number of games they have to play, so I guess he 's just fed up with it?

Edited by DJ Sir Matthew

2 minutes ago, DJ Sir Matthew said:

That's a wrong quote because it was Eden Hazard who made the comment about our defense being old. But yeah, the dressing room isn't optimal, I'm sure of that. Too many players over their peak but still thinking they are worth of a starting spot (like E. Hazard) while others who merit that starting spot more are left on the side (how must Trossard feel when E. Hazard got subbed for ... Dries Mertens instead of him??)..

And sure, it isn't the youngest team, by far, but Ivan Perisic is 33 too and he ran Canada rampant today... Modric 37 joined in the fun of running the midfield. Much better than Kevin De Bruyne who just isn't up the level he is when playing for Manchester City. But then again, Kevin did complain many times already about the number of games they have to play, so I guess he 's just fed up with it?

Is there any chance a Walloon versus Flemish storm picks up as well or is that out of the question these days?

4 hours ago, PaulHartman71 said:

I think Russia is both UEFA and FIFA banned? So as long as the bag of money hasn't arrived at FIFA HQ nothing is going to happen.

Not sure the Central Asian will support Russia moving to AFC. They might not oppose it necessarily, but there is some reluctance for open support.

55 minutes ago, DJ Sir Matthew said:

Hopefully this doesn't get misinterpreted, but imo aside from Martinez, the biggest reason Belgium never got the results is lack of team spirit and national pride.

To me they always looked like just another quality club. Always doing their job, never getting anything extra out of them. Their weak spots with players who aren't top level quality are always weak spots, while other teams somehow find those players who're not anywhere close to top club level, but perform great for the NT.

Perišić is a freak of nature, insane levels of fitness, Modrić isn't far off.

Today Croatia looked passive, then Modrić jumps out to press ahead of all 3 players up front, wins a throw in and from that point Croatia doesn't let Canada out of their box for like 3 minutes and eventually scores.

You don't see that from Hazard or KdB. They look like a bunch of mercenaries. And if you don't have overwhelming quality, that's not enough when playing for NT.