NOT SOUTHGATE'S LAST HURRAH: The England 2022 campaign

Rob1981

3 minutes ago, The_jagster said:

I'm sure I heard an Italian football correspondent say Tomori hasn't been as good this season. How many people calling for him to be included can honestly say how good he's been?

Like I said, i'm not even saying he deserves a place in the squad, but because he's the one playing abroad, hes the easy one to leave out. You can't say he doesn't deserve a place because he's had a few poor games this season, whilst taking Magurie, Dier and Coady :D 

Even when the excuse is made about Magurie playing well for England, that isn't even true anymore, we're in horrible form, the only thing saving Southgate's job is how far we've gone in the last few tournaments 

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Haguey said:

It's weird how England go deep into two tournaments in a row and are the only team that have ever done so through luck.

There were plenty of runs you can call lucky over the years.

England won exactly one knockout match against what you would call a top nation. And it was against a really poor (for their standards) German team, with Muller missing that sitter and most importantly, played at Wembley.

Other matches were Colombia (penalties), Sweden, Ukraine, Denmark (ridiculous penalty). If Southgate failed to win any of those matches, it would've been seen as a massive failure.

Two eliminations? Had the lead, upper hand and missed sitters (not Southgate's fault) against Croatia that already played two extra-time matches and then just stopped.

Against Italy the entire stadium was coming down, looked like it will be 3-0 in the first half...but there was nothing. Just stopped.

Sure, some of it has to do with the players, but such defensive setup in matches that are there for the taking, especially at home against Italy, is mostly on the coach.

Then conviniently when you don't score a single goal in the Nations League, it's just another irrelevant competition.

Much like with players, there's a massive bias towards Southgate just because he's English. Eriksson and Capello were blamed for everything (rightfully so most of the time), but Sir Gareth of Southgate can't make a single mistake.

As I've said it in the predictions topic, alongside France and Portugal, England has by far the most attacking potential out of European teams and somehow all three look impotant. All because of coaching.

8 minutes ago, The_jagster said:

I'm sure I heard an Italian football correspondent say Tomori hasn't been as good this season. How many people calling for him to be included can honestly say how good he's been?

Milan as a team is nowhere close to their previous season's level, they lost Kessie who did so much work in front of defense and then everyone looks worse.

Tomori isn't some top class CB, but he's certainly several tiers above Maguire or the locker room presence guy. And by far the fastest CB you could call up if Walker is out.

Maguire is just horrible, his club form reflected on NT the last few times he played, Coady and Dier are a joke, but apparently a starting CB for Milan isn't good enough because of few average matches.

The definition of double standards.

Edited by GunmaN1905

7 minutes ago, darren1983 said:

The investigation, by the FA, has been going on for 15 months and in that time he got called up, bit odd if thats the reason he misses out. Easy excuse though. 

Not if he's about to be charged.

29 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

Like Dier has consistently proven to be a liability in knockout football, why would you keep picking him because of experience :D 

He's awful too. He's in a very defensive Conte team, with loads of protection around him and still is average at best.

8 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Much like with players, there's a massive bias towards Southgate just because he's English. Eriksson and Capello were blamed for everything (rightfully so most of the time), but Sir Gareth of Southgate can't make a single mistake.

don't think you can say that with some people, especially on here :D

in media outlets, I think a lot of them are starting to notice the cracks as well.  if you think about it logically and take England out of it, you don't look to sack a manager who has got to the final of the Euros and the SFs of the last World Cup in any sort of country.  Nations League definitely says there are problems but you'd give that manager at least one more tournament before starting to pull their tactics and things apart

Edited by TM

19 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Then conviniently when you don't score a single goal in the Nations League, it's just another irrelevant competition.

You make me laugh. If England had been taking this competition seriously this year - why did he change so many players right in the summer? Like most countries they chopped and changed lineups because it was a World Cup year and they didn't have the friendlies to try things. He obviously didn't want to get relegated but it's hardly like his priority was to get the results rather than try a few things. The things he tried didn't work out. Hopefully he has learnt from that. But I doubt it.

And again - I remember your comments about the Nations League. Croatia don't care about it. It's a joke competition. Blah blah blah. Then they win a few games and you start talking it up again. You are full of so many contradictions.

As for the other stuff you said. There is no double standards. Plenty of people don't rate Southgate. You can see that just from reading the threads on here. They think he has got loads wrong. But some people are willing to forgive things because he has managed to get results too. If Capello hadn't ****ed up so badly they may have forgave a few things. It's not a case of foreigners bad. English man good. He's just managed to get better results than pretty much any manager England has had in a long time so some people are willing to give him some slack. Can you really trust that England would pick the right manager as his replacement? Is it really worth the risk right now when he's getting England there or there abouts?

And for the record - I don't rate Southgate either. He took us from a well established PL team challeging for domestic cups. Playing in Europe and got us relegated. He replaced Schwarzer with Brad Jones and Ross Turnbull. Viduka, Hasslebaink, Yakubu and Maccarone with Aliadiare and Mido. Gutted the midfield but right now he's still the best choice just for the simple fact I'm afraid of who his replacement might be.

Edited by Tony85

33 minutes ago, The_jagster said:

Bellingham is different because he's clearly great :lol:

His level isn't as high as it was last season, but he's been better than Maguire and Dier from what I've seen of them this season. Maguire has credit in the bank from past England games but judging from his last couple of England appearances, I think he's starting to bring club form to international level now.

Tomori's problem is he isn't very good on the ball, and the guys he's taking are either very good, or at the very least better than him.

I don't think Coady or Dier are better defenders, but if you want to build from the back they're better options 

33 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

Like I said, i'm not even saying he deserves a place in the squad, but because he's the one playing abroad, hes the easy one to leave out. You can't say he doesn't deserve a place because he's had a few poor games this season, whilst taking Magurie, Dier and Coady :D 

Even when the excuse is made about Magurie playing well for England, that isn't even true anymore, we're in horrible form, the only thing saving Southgate's job is how far we've gone in the last few tournaments 

Coady's been ok though? Tomori got sent off when playing a better team in Chelsea after Mount got the wrong side of him. Maguire is the one I agree on but I don't think you can really level at Southgate that he doesn't look abroad. Bellingham is starting atm (and is still a teenager), Sancho and Trippier were playing when they were abroad.

If he'd been playing brilliantly then that's one thing, why not bring back Chris Smalling too.

Just now, skybluedave said:

We really can't play a back 4 with these defenders

Has Southgate ever had a plan B?

If 5 at the back doesn’t work, he switches to 5 at the back with more misplaced passing, if that doesn’t work it’s 5 at the back with Kane dropping into central midfield when chasing a goal. 

1 minute ago, skybluedave said:

We really can't play a back 4 with these defenders

The problem is, it gimps the rest of the team if we play a back 3.  We've got the best set of attacking players we've had in a generation, it's a complete waste if half of them are on the bench and the rest are stuck at wingback or something.

That's probably the right squad to choose

1 hour ago, GunmaN1905 said:

He literally gets slated all the time :D 

Got to find a way of getting the best out of Foden, which so far Southgate really hasn't done. Our defence is exceptionally bad though, wouldn't be surprised if he goes with Rice/Phillips partnership again to try and make us more solid which will come at the cost of us being exceptionally dull in attack.