*Official* Football Manager 2023 Feedback Thread

15 minutes ago, Sanel said:

Do you think that faster defenders are in most cases just better? In example a faster defender with lower technicals in comparision to a defender with high technicals but slower pace and acceler.

Also, what kind of player traits work very well in general this year?

Acceleration in particular seems very important.  I'd certainly rather have physical monsters in defense than technical defenders, personally, but some of that is because physical monsters are so effective up front.  At least in very low-league play (I'm a league below XaW) I refuse to use CDs shorter than 6'.  If one of my CDs is slow, I'll compromise a bit to have the other one be fast(ish.  11 pace is fast at my level).  These are my CDs in the Vanarama North:

image.png.6c572a8865c9896f39e56a022be7e0ea.png

image.png.99399b3264ad19aec55b28de4f17d9eb.png

And their primary backup:

image.png.ea215b309aecca825fe3bc2c406469be.png

So yeah.  Big man/little man partnership, as best I can get it.  Little bit of passing and vision is nice with how direct the ME is, but in tier 6 you kinda take what you can get.

Edited by Sunstrikuuu

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Sanel said:

Do you think that faster defenders are in most cases just better? In example a faster defender with lower technicals in comparision to a defender with high technicals but slower pace and acceler.

From my experience so far, it of course depends on your set-up. Technicals and mentals can for sure be very effective and make up for poor physicals, but can only negate them to a certain point. For example, you wouldn't find me playing a CB with 20 marking, positioning and tackling if he had 1 acceleration and 1 pace  :D 

Edited by Domoboy23

13 hours ago, Sanel said:

For me it depends from situation to situation. If I'm a, comparably to my league, big team and play with a high line and expect to dominate I value pace more than if I manage a lower rated side. Ultimately, I think I value jumping, strength, and tackling (++) higher than speed, but there are certain tactics that I think require speedy defender.

Does anyone else find this version of FM nigh on unplayable on a laptop?? So many bookings. So many penalties missed. Conceding with literally every shot on target. International breaks taking too long to process. I’ve done everything I can to improve the game speed but nothing quickens up the international breaks. 

Every tactic I try gets the same problems as stated above. I can control possession but my team won’t score goals. I can gagenpress but my team won’t score goals. Every miss placed pass is punished. Like I said, nearly every shot against is on target and scored. Even playing my under 21/18’s in the very first friendly is the same. 

I don't think it's being talked enough how huge the difference is between home and away matches. When playing a top team in the league, you can constantly win 5-0 6-0 7-0 games at home but struggle to score a single goal away against the exact same team. 

But the worst example is in the Champion's League, or just between two top teams in general. At this point I really don't care about the away game anymore because 95% of the time my team gets absolutely dominated regardless of the tactics or the opposition. It's just impossible to dominate a game even with a posession/pressing tactic, even when playing teams who do that IRL like Barcelona or Man City, because the home team will get 3x the chances, and they will win the posession game. I've tested this out by replaying the same game over and over on positive, balanced, counter mentalities, with ultra posession based tactics, with different roles, and it just doesn't matter because the home team plays better. Not to mention playing on attacking mentality, you're basically writing your death sentence

My first 11 is pretty much world class in every position, with 3 ballon d'Or winners. But they drop a huge stinker in every such game, with easy 6.0 ratings at half time. 

But the thing is, the same thing happens when I'm playing at home. I will completely dominate other top teams, and I mean constant 5-0 to 7-0 scores in the second leg. And the true value of the team shows in that game, so at that point it's just a matter of who dominates more in their home game

After i forced my self to play a whole season i can say that this version is a huge disappointment especially the ME:

The Good:

• World class players seem "better" than previous versions of FM in the ME
  • .....nothing else i can think of unfortunately

The Bad:

• The match engine. I generate 4x xG than the opposition just to beat them by 1-2 goals.....chances are so easy to be created the extended highlights never end! Unlike previous version like FM 21 in this version every chance, even one on one seems a lot worse than a coin toss.......and talk about hitting the post, every match both me and AI at least 1 post per team per match...
  • Everything else. I skipped FM22 and this game FM23 looks identical to FM21 :D. Its like nothing is changed, the UI is the same, the press conferences are the same, the training is the same....

The Ugly:

• The animations....i appreciate new animations but now every players looks as agile as prime Messi, everyone can turn around and change directions like Messi and it makes the match very unrealistic. Also the players move slower than FM21.....i mean the speed of the animations seems slower? It makes it look very unrealistic.
Edited by FM1000

1 ora fa, FM1000 ha scritto:

After i forced my self to play a whole season i can say that this version is a huge disappointment especially the ME:

The Good:

The Bad:

• The match engine. I generate 4x xG than the opposition just to beat them by 1-2 goals.....chances are so easy to be created the extended highlights never end! Unlike previous version like FM 21 in this version every chance, even one on one seems a lot worse than a coin toss.......and talk about hitting the post, every match both me and AI at least 1 post per team per match...
  • Everything else. I skipped FM22 and this game FM23 looks identical to FM21 :D. Its like nothing is changed, the UI is the same, the press conferences are the same, the training is the same....

The Ugly:

• The animations....i appreciate new animations but now every players looks as agile as prime Messi, everyone can turn around and change directions like Messi and it makes the match very unrealistic. Also the players move slower than FM21.....i mean the speed of the animations seems slower? It makes it look very unrealistic.

in fact, a 1v1 chance is about 1/3, so indeed, a lot worst than a coin toss :D

xG is just a cumulative number. it is way better to have 3 shots worth 1xG than  3 xG from 20 shots. essentially, it is useless if you look at only one match.

9 hours ago, FM1000 said:

The Good:

The Bad:

The Ugly:

There is definetly a difference between a Top Footballer and a Division 4 Footballer ?  This is in so many ways better than FM21 .  Is not FIFA 23 the same as FIFA 21 or 22 ???  , Is not Toal War Warhammer 3 the same as Warhammer 1 , is mot NBA 23 the same as NBA21 ????  . You can go on forever with game simularities because the base game will always be there . Not sure how you say the players move slower though either . Seems the same to me . As for the XG it happens a lot .  Dont base your whole match on your XG performance because there are a lot of other reasons you need to win . 

Edited by alian62

Having an issue scoring goals with my Spurs side at the moment. Especially seeing games off. Common theme is 1-0 up, completely one sided but cannot see out games and generally this is in an attack minded manner. Very rarely will I try to sit back to defend that lead.

Having looked back on the season (3 games to) I have noticed I have only once scored more than 2 goals all season.

Is there a deeper issue within the ME here, or is this just me?

2 hours ago, stevemc said:

I've put this game down for a couple of weeks so I'm really hoping the Winter Update arrives this week (looking back a previous years, it would align that it's this week coming), so we can finally see the final build/state of FM23 and hopefully get into a long term save that grips me - probably more in hope than expectation but I am expecting a pretty sizeable update, with a number of bug fixes, match engine updates, so-on-and-so-forth along with the usual transfers done - a lot has been reported in terms of bugs/errors and feedback so from a customer point of view, I'd be really disappointed if the majority of these are not met in this patch to make FM23 the best it can be at this stage.

Yeah man, after a few month of on-off-games, I want to start the long term game that'll see me through the rest of the year - hopefully the patch list is strong with this one! 

In this patch, we need to fix issues with inside forwards and inverted wingers' movement, dribbling, and shooting.

Almost all teams in modern soccer use inside forwards or inverted wingers, so how did si Match Engine Team make them just 'passing midfielders' instead of wingers?

Currently, the match engine does not reflect the realistic movements of both wingers at all.

9 hours ago, Rob 396 said:

Yeah man, after a few month of on-off-games, I want to start the long term game that'll see me through the rest of the year - hopefully the patch list is strong with this one! 

Becoming a yearly cycle now that starting the long term save has to wait until Feb/March, when in reality that should be when the game releases in November.

15 hours ago, shaunwwfc said:

Having an issue scoring goals with my Spurs side at the moment. Especially seeing games off. Common theme is 1-0 up, completely one sided but cannot see out games and generally this is in an attack minded manner. Very rarely will I try to sit back to defend that lead.

Having looked back on the season (3 games to) I have noticed I have only once scored more than 2 goals all season.

Is there a deeper issue within the ME here, or is this just me?

You’ve answered your own question really. If you’re not prepared to adapt to the match (defend the lead) with your tactic then what you’re seeing is likely to happen. If you’re only scoring 2 goals or less, it’s the same thing. Your tactic can be changed, tweaked, enhanced. It’s not the ME’s fault.

1 hour ago, stevemc said:

Becoming a yearly cycle now that starting the long term save has to wait until Feb/March, when in reality that should be when the game releases in November.

Yes, i've already made this adjustment in my head. Not touched FM23 so far and are looking forward to the 'full' release over the next couple of weeks.

This way you only experience the final/best version of the game without being detrimentally effected by ongoing issues following the November release. 

22 minutes ago, Mr U Rosler said:

Yes, i've already made this adjustment in my head. Not touched FM23 so far and are looking forward to the 'full' release over the next couple of weeks.

This way you only experience the final/best version of the game without being detrimentally effected by ongoing issues following the November release. 

Haven't touched FM in more than a month.. Like you said, it doesn't feel like the finished product. It's rough around the edges and some glaring issues not resolved since FM22 ( player development/newgens)

1 hour ago, andu1 said:

I'm really hoping they addressed the player development/newgen issue. They had almost 3 months since the Christmas update on 1st Dec. Plenty of time IMO

This is in my opinion the biggest issue for long term saves. I am only 3-4 years into the save and the quality of newgens is literally rubish. The players in the top 50 youngsters (beside those that a wonderkids in real life) are less than a mediocre. And this is as someone mentioned still not resolved  since fm 2022. Before it was even worse and the patches that came tried to fix it but were largely unsuccessful in that matter. I really hope that the next patch that is coming out has given the biggest impact to that part of the game. 

1 hour ago, Mr U Rosler said:

I’ve been enjoying it although it’s frustrating sometimes. My philosophy with FM and life in general is that I don’t worry about things I can’t control. That doesn’t mean that you should take anything you’re given without complaining. In the case of FM, you’ve spent your money so you have the right to ask for a good product but what if the update doesn’t address any of the issues you want? Will you not play the game? It’s already late to ask for a refund

42 minutes ago, blejdek said:

This is in my opinion the biggest issue for long term saves. I am only 3-4 years into the save and the quality of newgens is literally rubish. The players in the top 50 youngsters (beside those that a wonderkids in real life) are less than a mediocre. And this is as someone mentioned still not resolved  since fm 2022. Before it was even worse and the patches that came tried to fix it but were largely unsuccessful in that matter. I really hope that the next patch that is coming out has given the biggest impact to that part of the game. 

I actually thing newgen development has improved. We can now have fullbacks with good crossing, and also there is a fewer number of wonderkids later on in saves and more in line with IRL.

Before we used to see the game swamped with wonderkids which made it incredibly easy. Now due to the lesser number, it makes them more valuable and much more rewarding to uncover.

On 17/02/2023 at 21:06, Caletti said:

But the defender behaviour is awful! He start running too late.

I like it much more when my defender is like way ahead, stops and only starts running again after the opposition striker has run past him. I try not to be too hard on him, narcolepsy is a serious matter, sadge.

Can someone shed any light on how it is decided who you play in the reformed Champions League (league) phase? I was seeded in pot 1 last season as Benfica, yet this year I am away from home in most of the 8 matches, and 6 of them are against Europe's biggest sides.

On 13/02/2023 at 17:26, Domoboy23 said:

Respectfully, I disagree with this.

For once experienced players actually have some value to sides. Previously once they hit 30 they'd decline rapidly.

Now, some of them still go down that route. And I find that physicals still do rapidly drop as you'd expect. But players with good mentals and technical skills are able to be useful, whereas before poor physicals would write any of that off.

The problem is most young players "Newgens" now arent given a chance until they reach 24/25 that's unrealistic considering how many insane under 23 players are playing at elite level in real life and some of the best in the world like Saka,Haaland,Pedri SI just needs to try and find a balance where there is a mixture of both in a high enough % right now the % seems to high towards the older players 

Edited by Mcfc1894

12 hours ago, Flohrinho said:

I like it much more when my defender is like way ahead, stops and only starts running again after the opposition striker has run past him. I try not to be too hard on him, narcolepsy is a serious matter, sadge.

Thats more the animation than the defenders attributes . The animation is not in sync with what the defender abilities are . 

12 minutes ago, forameuss said:

Taking an update relating to the actual deaths of tens of thousands, and framing it as a dig at an update to a game not being here yet.  Top work.

In what way did my question offend you? I genuinely thought the new update was out. 
Don't want to say anything else to you.

29 minutes ago, Rob 396 said:

That's not really a patch note though is it, if you actually read it properly ..

Of course it isn't. I thought that development update came along with the... update.

Sorry if i offended anyone. I should think twice about asking a question on these forums.

thanks.

2 hours ago, andu1 said:

Of course it isn't. I thought that development update came along with the... update.

Sorry if i offended anyone. I should think twice about asking a question on these forums.

thanks.

It is good of you to apologise. This is obviously a very raw subject. The game is totally irrelevant in the context of such destruction. I’m sure you didn’t mean to equate the two things.

1 minute ago, kiingallen said:

132AE5C0-3AEA-4473-8882-58B74AD0B59C.jpeg.4aaa031f977d319ac9d15b2c6820399b.jpeg

A case study in why more communication from SI wouldn't always work.  This tweet says two things - they're still working on it, and previously it's been released in the specified (vague) window.  There's literally nothing to suggest that this update will release before, during or after it, yet that's getting inferred anyway.  Literally worse off than if they'd said nothing.

The tweets mean nothing. It's the same as when the BETA drops. The same day people will ask and they will post the same comment of 'its released when it's ready' which is the same as what they've said above.

They're not going to say the aren't working on it, or it's ready, or that it's coming soon. It will just come out when it's out and even a minute before it comes out they'll still respond to someone with the above.

4 dakika önce, Domoboy23 said:

The tweets mean nothing. It's the same as when the BETA drops. The same day people will ask and they will post the same comment of 'its released when it's ready' which is the same as what they've said above.

They're not going to say the aren't working on it, or it's ready, or that it's coming soon. It will just come out when it's out and even a minute before it comes out they'll still respond to someone with the above.

This! Generic answer they give every year. Even if the update will released tonight, they would still give the same answer.

Staff meetings keep suggesting for me to hire new employees in various positions to improve the quality of the scouting, medical or whatever team. But they're suggesting for me to hire people that are worse at their jobs than who I already have, and if I did hire them I would have to pay money to their current employers! These mails are just spam, and if the AI actually does hire based on these suggestions they must be wasting a lot of money.