*Official* Football Manager 2023 Feedback Thread

So SI  spruiked alot about the added chaos to the Match Engine but since the update this has dissappeared . 

Has anyone else noticed the completet lack of chaos because to me it seems im back playing FM22 and if this is the case i think an explanation is needed 

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Pearomaniac said:

OK, i have seen this happen too much to think it is attribute related, this is definitely a bug. Sense of urgency of defenders and goalkeepers after they make a mistake is disgraceful. So yeah, GK wants to clear the ball from the edge of the box and by accident he hits the attacker with the ball, ball is loose, attacker is sprinting towards it and what does the GK do? He is fast walking BACKWARDS to it, every single time. And its not about GK only, DF does this a lot too. Sense of urgency after a player makes a mistake needs to be revorked ASAP, even when a GK parries the ball i have seen it so many times that attacker gets to that ball too many times even if its is closer to the GK by far.

Tell me i am not the only one that has this issue because if im not lets report this and demand it being solved cause im sick of it, its not realistic, its not immersive, its infuriating

Please raise a thread in the Bug Tracker with .pkms of the incidents and let the Developers have a look.

2 hours ago, george911 said:

Guys I don't know if anyone else is dealing with tha same issue but after the update it seems like defences are totally powerless. I manage Lyon not PSG, it is  unrealistic to score so many goals in every game. Also I bought a Croatian striker named Beljo and he has socred 22 goals in 20 matches so far, if this guy doesn't have the potential ability of Benzema I don't get how is it possible to score with that rate. Generally I feel that ME needs serious improvement in terms of defensive tactical behavior. 

Screenshot 2022-12-05 022901.jpg

I don't know, guess when I started playing on the new patch...
image.thumb.png.643af5eb9345c6427f4c7b70fc3dc0d9.png

5 hours ago, george911 said:

Guys I don't know if anyone else is dealing with tha same issue but after the update it seems like defences are totally powerless. I manage Lyon not PSG, it is  unrealistic to score so many goals in every game. Also I bought a Croatian striker named Beljo and he has socred 22 goals in 20 matches so far, if this guy doesn't have the potential ability of Benzema I don't get how is it possible to score with that rate. Generally I feel that ME needs serious improvement in terms of defensive tactical behavior. 

Screenshot 2022-12-05 022901.jpg

Matre, you had a stretch playing cannon foder from Ligue 1. I'll give you Nantes (A) as a maybe harder tie, but since you're Lyon youshould absolutely smash opponents of this level. What do you complain about?

please bring back the chaos.... everything is predictable again... i don't know what they did but fun is gone!!! seems like teams are passive...sitting at the back...interceptions almost only happen in the final third.... where is the chaos??? i'm done... should have deactivated the auto update option.... sad!

Edited by balldoktor81

Well that didn't go well. Sitting 9th in the prem, as Birmingham, been creating more chances almost every game than opposition.. update game*** First game after update, v Southampton in 19th with the worst goals for record, and lose 6-0 with 18 shots to 4 for me.. 🤔 Is there a roll back option?!

Is anyone having issues with network games after the update? 

My friend and started an online gam on the Beta and due to the smoothness of it we continued it through full release and we are still playing it now, no issues pre-update but since we both installed the latest patch I've been getting kicked at least 3-4 times an hour almost. Seems very unstable, both our broadband connections are solid with no drop off.

Wondered if anyone else playing a network save is experiencing similar?

How is this even possible? BETA was smooth full version release was also smooth and now, a month later the game is currently ruined and unplayable. Match lag in 3d match is unsupportable, and thinking about the fact that I bought a new MSI 3060RTX laptop right before FM got released and I cannot enjoy it as I should, frustrates me.

Don't you guys test these patches before releasing them and ruin everyone's game?
Let's see in how much time will this be taken care of... 

Edited by DamienQilBormliz

6 hours ago, luka_zg said:

Matre, you had a stretch playing cannon foder from Ligue 1. I'll give you Nantes (A) as a maybe harder tie, but since you're Lyon youshould absolutely smash opponents of this level. What do you complain about?

Your comment is not based in reality.
In real life Lyon doesn't "smash" opponents like the results indicate on the screenshot. In fact they struggle alot, especially away from home. Away from home they are 1-1-5 in this season scoring 7 goals in 7 games.
In only two games this seasons have they dominated the scoreboards against lower rated teams and that was at home to Angers and Troyes. Other than that it's a bunch of close games.

1 hour ago, DamienQilBormliz said:

How is this even possible? BETA was smooth full version release was also smooth and now, a month later the game is currently ruined and unplayable. Match lag in 3d match is unsupportable, and thinking about the fact that I bought a new MSI 3060RTX laptop right before FM got released and I cannot enjoy it as I should, frustrates me.

Don't you guys test these patches before releasing them and ruin everyone's game?
Let's see in how much time will this be taken care of... 

I am not having any of these issues. Since 23,2, its even more smoother and processes faster. I am not seeing any lag issues.

1 hour ago, priority76 said:

Ha! I thought I was the only one that had this issue.  Wasn't sure if I was imagining it or not.

terrible mate taking the mick si big time nothing works for me either.. so many people same promb!!! nothing works stutter stutter stutter 3d match 

39 minutes ago, DamienQilBormliz said:

Lucky you then my friend

terrible mate taking the mick si big time nothing works for me either.. so many people same promb!!! nothing works stutter stutter stutter 3d match 

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Hoarau said:

Is anyone having issues with network games after the update? 

My friend and started an online gam on the Beta and due to the smoothness of it we continued it through full release and we are still playing it now, no issues pre-update but since we both installed the latest patch I've been getting kicked at least 3-4 times an hour almost. Seems very unstable, both our broadband connections are solid with no drop off.

Wondered if anyone else playing a network save is experiencing similar?

Can you raise the issue here please so our team can investigate further? - https://community.sigames.com/bugtracker/football-manager-2023-bugs-tracker/create-a-club-fantasy-draft-versus-mode-onlinenetwork-games-and-achievements/

Thanks. 

I've finished the second half of a season with the update and I like it.

The brain-dead defenders are gone. I've seen them now going after the ball & the striker, trying to defend - and that's all I could I ask for.

It's true that "the chaos" looks toned down, but I like it. Pre-update the match looked like a pin-ball game sometimes - imho. 

I can still see bad passes, lost balls, GK fumbling the ball and strikers missing open goals and that is perfectly fine for me.

I have to mention some nice animations that I didn't see in previous games - I've seen a tap in goal with the exterior - right foot from a low cross from the left on the near post. Beautiful. 

Anyway, NOW the ME is good in my opinion.

Great job guys.

ME is excellent right now, defending feels great, defenders (mostly) are close to enough to challenge for the ball now and it feels like a battle for the second balls as well which is great to see.

Center play is great, possession is a bit too good at the moment, I feel like pass accuracy needs to be toned down a bit. This explains why people , including me, are complaining about the chaos factor being toned down too much, it's too "clean" at the moment, needs like 10%-20% more chaos. But make it player specific, so I don't want to see my Huddersfield team being able to play into tight areas this well.

Final thing is the most important, right now I see a near complete absence of crossing early or first time, I see far too many cut backs, players with acres of space will just turn back and choose a cut back option. This used to happen a lot in FM22 and it was very annoying, don't get me wrong, crossing does happen but it's rare, far too may cutbacks at the moment.

It's almost like the AI does not see options in the box (maybe due to the enhanced defending AI) and so decides to always go for the cut back (even then the cut back is usually not first time or in the direction they are facing, they will turn back AND THEN cut back), there needs to be more crosses across face of goal even if there is low chance of not scoring from them.

That's the most glaring issue right now, too many players turning back and then choosing the cut back instead of a cross. Fix this and a bit more chaos which would reduce the possession numbers and honestly this might be the best ME in a long time.

Well done the SI team!

Is there a way to get the full anthem playing for UEFA competitions at the beginning of the match on 2D. 
the anthem cut out about 1/2-2/3s of the way through. 
killed my experience when listening to it for the first time on this view

It's great that defending has been improved, but the finishing is so bad. So many shots go miles over the bar.

I think the games look a bit smoother because defenders aren't as clownish, but I don't think the ME has improved all that much, there's just bugs in different areas of the pitch

2 hours ago, TheArsenal63 said:

ME is excellent right now, defending feels great, defenders (mostly) are close to enough to challenge for the ball now and it feels like a battle for the second balls as well which is great to see.

Center play is great, possession is a bit too good at the moment, I feel like pass accuracy needs to be toned down a bit. This explains why people , including me, are complaining about the chaos factor being toned down too much, it's too "clean" at the moment, needs like 10%-20% more chaos. But make it player specific, so I don't want to see my Huddersfield team being able to play into tight areas this well.

Final thing is the most important, right now I see a near complete absence of crossing early or first time, I see far too many cut backs, players with acres of space will just turn back and choose a cut back option. This used to happen a lot in FM22 and it was very annoying, don't get me wrong, crossing does happen but it's rare, far too may cutbacks at the moment.

It's almost like the AI does not see options in the box (maybe due to the enhanced defending AI) and so decides to always go for the cut back (even then the cut back is usually not first time or in the direction they are facing, they will turn back AND THEN cut back), there needs to be more crosses across face of goal even if there is low chance of not scoring from them.

That's the most glaring issue right now, too many players turning back and then choosing the cut back instead of a cross. Fix this and a bit more chaos which would reduce the possession numbers and honestly this might be the best ME in a long time.

Well done the SI team!

You must be playing a different game to me.  The update sucked all the fun out of the game.  Lost count of how many times now I go three goals up, dominating the opposition and then suddenly they turn into world class players and bang bang bang bang now losing 4-3 within fifteen minutes of play.  Also sick of scorelines that are completely unrealistic, 6 4  8-3  6-3 and the worst one yet 9-5.  Defenders have gone to ****.

14 minutes ago, eric1000 said:

You must be playing a different game to me.  The update sucked all the fun out of the game.  Lost count of how many times now I go three goals up, dominating the opposition and then suddenly they turn into world class players and bang bang bang bang now losing 4-3 within fifteen minutes of play.  Also sick of scorelines that are completely unrealistic, 6 4  8-3  6-3 and the worst one yet 9-5.  Defenders have gone to ****.

I think this might be a tactical thing. This is my current results with a balanced tactic, even if I'm expected dead last in the Championship.

c5Q1VSK.png

Not many crazy scorelines for me, so while I know the meme of "it's your tactics" is an old one, it might be on point here. If you don't think so, please post it in the bug tracker, as you might have stumbled onto something SI should take a look at.

Player Development.

Has this been nerfed this year? Seeing very little improvement in players with plenty of room for growth. Ok, I see some growth. But it's miniscule growth. Wonderkids that don't feel as if they are going to even get close to reaching their potential. 

I don't expect to see my 18 year old Striker suddenly blossoming to Erling Haaland style attributes, but at the same time I don't want him to look like a 34 year old on the decline. I'd like to see some steady growth but at the rate I'm seeing attributes rise it would be more fun watching paint dry.

10 minutes ago, kopfan1977 said:

Player Development.

Has this been nerfed this year? Seeing very little improvement in players with plenty of room for growth. Ok, I see some growth. But it's miniscule growth. Wonderkids that don't feel as if they are going to even get close to reaching their potential. 

I don't expect to see my 18 year old Striker suddenly blossoming to Erling Haaland style attributes, but at the same time I don't want him to look like a 34 year old on the decline. I'd like to see some steady growth but at the rate I'm seeing attributes rise it would be more fun watching paint dry.

I think it's harder now, and more challenging, but it's clearly possible. This is one of my players and his development the last few years.

OgoMNix.png

1 hour ago, ajw10 said:

It's great that defending has been improved, but the finishing is so bad. So many shots go miles over the bar.

I think the games look a bit smoother because defenders aren't as clownish, but I don't think the ME has improved all that much, there's just bugs in different areas of the pitch

nevermind, the clownshoes defending is still there, heavy touches at full back but the game doesn't register it as a mistake.

Hopefully this game is good when they release the next patch in March

2 hours ago, eric1000 said:

The game is very different than FM22. I had to be more careful with my mentalities in this FM, I don't go above Balanced now unless I am at home and facing a smaller side. If it helps, everything that affects risk in the tactic should be turned down by at least 1 or removed entirely, compared to the FM22 save. The risk of counters is much higher and conceding from them as well. So far all the issues I had, I can overcome with trying to disrupt the oppositions build up and also making sure I keep the ball a bit better when I get it back. My aim is to control the game instead of it turning into a back and forth. Largely those ideas have worked and I have 60% - 70% possession with averages of 2.5xG per game.

I use a lot of opposition instructions as well, I mark and press the CBs (not the DC, just RCB and LCB) so they are forced to launch the ball in the air, then I have my CBs on cover with good heading and jumping, anticipation also important. I then make sure that there are enough midfielders coming back so they can challenge for the second balls as well, otherwise the ball will come right back at you.

I also mark the WBs in 3 ATB formations so I don't get overloads in attack.

Once I have finalized my tactic , I can share it if you want to try it with opposition instructions, having good success with it at the moment and the defensive ideas are working to help my team control games.

The game (so far) feels in my control, and my biggest issue with FM23 was there was so many silly things happening that it wasn't worth trying to work around them since they were ME bugs.

Right now , if i study the matches, I can come to a good conclusion as to why I am conceding or losing, I have to be more careful than FM22, as long as I feel in control of fixing these problems, I'm fine.

There's still bugs btw, crosses don't happen enough and possession is too high but it's not a big enough issue to spoil the fun like the beta release was.

2 hours ago, jarradccfc said:

Same here with the lag in the match engine and even processing is slower! And the load screen!

go back to the bottom of page 33, there's a command you can add to the launch screer to take care of the lag.

• Administrators
8 hours ago, stevemc said:

Are set pieces bugged after the update, as I can't appear to select where I'd like to aim the ball? (near post, far post etc)

Is a known issue being investigated. 

1 hour ago, DamienQilBormliz said:

@Neil Brock shall we expect another update in the coming days to fix all the issues that came up with the latest one please? or we would have to wait till March now?

Aggreed ... that we have paid for a game to be at least in working order . 

14 hours ago, XaW said:

I think it's harder now, and more challenging, but it's clearly possible. This is one of my players and his development the last few years.

OgoMNix.png

Can you give us some details like how much you played him?

i play as arsenal and unless youngsters are playing 20-30 + matches a season Im not seeing much growth.

there’s literally no growth at other big teams

13 hours ago, _mxrky said:

Don’t mind me just bringing up de bruyne having the highest pa in fm23 is an absolute joke. Mbappe is clearly the best in the world.

He probably won’t get the highest PA until he leaves that farmers league that he’s been bullying for the last 5 years

2 minutes ago, jere_d said:

Can you give us some details like how much you played him?

i play as arsenal and unless youngsters are playing 20-30 + matches a season Im not seeing much growth.

there’s literally no growth at other big teams

Well, it's quite individual per player, but until the player is 18, their growth mainly comes from training, so I always set whatever role I want him to play. For him I want him to be an IF-S or an IW-S since those are the roles I usually use, and that he would fit into.

image.png.3932252b44ba174b41fe84deea422e23.png

Then I set his intensity as high as I can while monitoring his happiness and reduce it if he becomes unhappy. I also set focuses based on what I feel are weak areas or at least the ones I want to focus development on. Then I play him as much as I can while he has a full green heart and his medical report does not go into a high fatigue. Currently he is injured, but it says here about his fatigue:

nHRBRlV.png

As long as that doesn't go into high I play him, but I try to give him loads of rest between games if he gets into high fatigue (and sometimes even off training). Since my main goal of my saves are not to become the best as fast as possible, but rather develop players, I am willing to throw games to make sure I don't run my players into the ground on fatigue. So I'll happily send the backups into a match to lose while resting the first team. So I try to avoid using players with high fatigue at all costs.

However, since this guy has very high natural fitness, he very rarely gets fatigued, and I've been able to play him quite a lot.

KP4Z2vp.png

Now, a lot of those are also sub appearances the first few seasons, but he was a superstar quite early for me down in the leagues. so I wanted to play him as much as I could. I do think the balance is much harder to find this year, and I kind of like it. I mean, there are issues with AI squad selection, and that impacts how the AI develops players, sure, but for the human manager I think this is a good change, personally. If SI could just fix the selection issues and improve the AI transfer logic to make squads more balanced and give youth players more chances, I think long term saves will be more fun and viable than ever before. As is though, SI still has issues to iron out with how the AI handles things.

43 minutes ago, jere_d said:

He probably won’t get the highest PA until he leaves that farmers league that he’s been bullying for the last 5 years

Not as if he has dominated the ucl and 2 two world cups but anyway 

To give this a bit more showing of what it can do here are a few more of the ones I've succeeded with:

uOMkxzT.png

x5Ucxav.png

CkF53Bu.png

W8G5Nx8.png

Now, that's not to say I manage it every time, I have several players who have stagnated for various reason. It could be I did something wrong, injuries, player personalities, or my coaches just got their talent wrong!

bdNxXDS.png

This kid looked like an amazing talent, and while he has gotten better over the years, never got to the level I had hoped. Good physical and mental increase, but that happens for most players from 16 to 20, but just about no improvement in the technical attributes...

B571WpY.png

The same for this one. And this player also played a lot of matches for me, since his initial look was so good, but for him I think he actually have a low PA, but a high CA when he came through, so he couldn't become better than he was. Sort of a false talent.

What I'm getting at is that it's harder than before to develop talented players, and quite frankly I love the challenge! I still think FM as a whole is too easy to succeed in. I mean, I am playing as Marine, only relying on youth intakes, and I'm currently in the Championship in 2030, so it's not hard yet, but it do require more thought and effort than just "play matches = development", at least!

Popping back in to say I really appreciate the new scouting system. Little bit of a slow start but now I am getting so many results with low salary scouts I've had to tighten my guidelines. The recruiting focus versus individual scout instructions was confusing early but once I figured it out, it works much better. I don't at all understand the "assign an analyst" part, but that hasn't seemed to hamper things.

Picked a club with a Board and Supporters demanding high press, attacking football. My next save/job will certainly be a club where it isn't required. I really enjoy mid and low block play and want to do more of that. Probably just my imagination, but I actually like the idea in this game you could add in a bunch of tall, strong defenders and really dominate games lower league physically and aim for a 1-0 win. In FM22, I don't know if low block was broken or high pressing was so overpowered, but I didn't feel comfortable playing defensive football even with a lead.

Will the late patch on player development affect current saves? I started my current one like a day after it posted. I am not worried about database improvements, but it looks like the devs cleaned up some serious player development issues.

I think this is a serious enough problem that SI must be looking at at high priority. 

Unfortunately because of so many potential knock on effects with 'reputation' and 'ca' in other areas in the game, I don't think this can be solved for fm23. 

how many of you guys are once again seeing very high passing %.... it is like FM 22 all over again after the latest update..... every team completing around 90% of their passes.... it is so boring to watch right now... never again will i let the game do the auto update. and the chaos is gone ... sucked out of the game... you can man mark players... press like crazy.... trap inside or outside doesn't matter.... Barca Like Passing for everybody... is it possible to undo the update... i had so much fun, now it's gone..... in this example i'm leading but...man it is no fun....

image.thumb.png.1e12c2c9c8d654619ba9783a50e3c6c7.png

Edited by balldoktor81

• Administrators
14 hours ago, jarradccfc said:

Same here with the lag in the match engine and even processing is slower! And the load screen!

14 hours ago, Simsimmabrfc85 said:

I have the stuttering Match engine issue as well it’s not smooth any more like it was before the update. I7 8700k / 3060ti. 

Try this and see if it helps:

- Go into Steam and right-click on the game
- Select 'Properties'
- Click 'Set Launch Options...'
- Copy the following into the dialogue box: --disable_flip_discard
- Close the panel by clicking the 'x' button and launch the game

1 hour ago, DMVian said:

Popping back in to say I really appreciate the new scouting system. Little bit of a slow start but now I am getting so many results with low salary scouts I've had to tighten my guidelines. The recruiting focus versus individual scout instructions was confusing early but once I figured it out, it works much better. I don't at all understand the "assign an analyst" part, but that hasn't seemed to hamper things.

Picked a club with a Board and Supporters demanding high press, attacking football. My next save/job will certainly be a club where it isn't required. I really enjoy mid and low block play and want to do more of that. Probably just my imagination, but I actually like the idea in this game you could add in a bunch of tall, strong defenders and really dominate games lower league physically and aim for a 1-0 win. In FM22, I don't know if low block was broken or high pressing was so overpowered, but I didn't feel comfortable playing defensive football even with a lead.

Will the late patch on player development affect current saves? I started my current one like a day after it posted. I am not worried about database improvements, but it looks like the devs cleaned up some serious player development issues.

Every time I try the scouting system I'm always getting 0 recommendations and 0 near misses. Any advice? 

Higher amount of passing between defenders and especially  3 centre back formations is known I think. But passing&posession is not that important. Main problem is with inverted  wide players rarely dribble inside and libero (attack duty) only play risky passes instead of going forward during buildup play. For statistics and simulating football, game is  adequte and fine but some roles don't work as much.

Edited by baris28

40 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

Try this and see if it helps:

- Go into Steam and right-click on the game
- Select 'Properties'
- Click 'Set Launch Options...'
- Copy the following into the dialogue box: --disable_flip_discard
- Close the panel by clicking the 'x' button and launch the game

Any consideration of a hotfix to revert whatever change this workaround reverses? General consensus from this thread alone, although granted not representative of all users across the world, seems to be that this change makes performance worse for most people.