Match 1: Turkey v Italy. 11/6/21 8pm (BST) live from Rome

Coulthard's Jaw

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Turkey have been under par, but people will not give Italy the full credit for making them look so under par. Pressure has been relentless from word go, not allowing Turkey any time to lift their heads on the ball.

Wont see many if any, opening game performances like this in terms of energy and pressure.

2 minutes ago, pearcey_90 said:

Fully deserved. Faultless performance this from Italy.

Wouldn't call it faultless, they're basically untested. Still no idea if that old creaking defence is any good against, y'know, teams that enter the opposition half.

Donnarumma, Spinazzola and Berardi are all in my fantasy team... but I predicted a 2-1 Italy win.

I want an Italy clean sheet... but I also want Turkey to score.

I'm so conflicted right now. :D

3 minutes ago, pearcey_90 said:

Turkey have been under par, but people will not give Italy the full credit for making them look so under par. Pressure has been relentless from word go, not allowing Turkey any time to lift their heads on the ball.

Wont see many if any, opening game performances like this in terms of energy and pressure.

Yeah I agree.

2 minutes ago, Darius1998 said:

I don't think Ukraine were being tipped as dark horses though. Hence, the Austria comparison. :D

Ah, didn't get that thing. Thought you just meant the worst team at the tournament :D 

Got better as the game have gone on, absolutely cruised this. Still lacked any semblance of creativity first half but they look like they'll waltz into the next round, and probably quarters.

Just now, Baptista_8 said:

Italy look fantastic

They're playing really well, but Turkey has been abysmal. Their attack has been non-existent, and their defence very shaky. It's a performance you could expect from some tiny nation, which has never been to a big tournament before.

Just now, Orzelek said:

They're playing really well, but Turkey has been abysmal. Their attack has been non-existent, and their defence very shaky. It's a performance you could expect from some tiny nation, which has never been to a big tournament before.

They have been but as said earlier, people underestimate how much of that is down to Italy.

Just now, Marc Albrighton said:

Wales will be fancying they're chances of getting out of the group watching this Turkey side.

Probably, but I think Italy would wipe the floor with them (and Switzerland) if they play like this again.

Turkey haven't been good, but too many people are overlooking how intense Italy have been.

5 hours ago, CFuller said:

This should be a decent opener. Turkey seem more solid at the back these days and can cause Italy problems.

Just to be clear, I never wrote this. That was my identical twin brother - Carl Fuller. :p