Match 1: Turkey v Italy. 11/6/21 8pm (BST) live from Rome

Coulthard's Jaw

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Haguey said:

****ing burn on Northern Ireland, Poland, Netherlands and Bosnia.

Opps. Reworded what I was trying to say and left out the key component of the point I was trying to make. Fans. 

For most of the Italian squad, they haven't played in front of their fans (club or country) since before COVID. 

2 minutes ago, Hazzaj said:

Difference in the midfield was pretty telling, Jorginho was fantastic I thought and helped made sure there were almost no scraps for Turkey to feed on - have said before that Turkey thirve on playing on the counter but Italy were just too good at keeping the ball. At 1-0 down was clear too that Turkey didn't have a Plan B to try to chase the game, Wales and Switzerland should be licking their lips.

Jorginho was excellent tbf

1 minute ago, Haguey said:

We had the most teams in that.

...it's coming home even more now.

Maybe that was the plan all along.

Not only did the USA win WW2 for us... but now they have confirmed International Football success too!

All these selfish United fans hating on the Glazers... think of your country :mad:

1 hour ago, av3ry said:

Turkey are playing like my Football Manager team did when geeting promotion from League One to the Championship. Bore the **** out of the opposition by making them take long shots and then walk one in hitting them on the counter :D

I think I gave Turkey too much credit with this assessment at halftime.
When we bored our opposition (and myself) to death on FM, I played with a 4-4-2, so two were upfront waiting for the hoof from midfield or whatever. Burak Yilmaz was expected to do all of it on his own, did not work, Turjey needed someone alongised him to poke it home. Like right at the end there, what support did he have? None.

Italy look very good btw. Wales vs Turkey will be huge in that group, doubtful 3rd place will go through...
The 3rd place to be knocked out it between this group, our group and the Dutch group imo. Maybe Belgium's group depending on what Russian team turns up.

Did Insigne remind anyone else off Raheem Sterling having to get it onto his right foot before shooting?

Great finish for hos goal but before then he had a golden opportunity and decided that rather than smash it with his left, he tried to cut inside with his right Sterling style?

Turkey deserve to finish last with 0 points. Their only aim in this game was a 0-0 by defending with 10 (ok, minus Yilmaz who was talking a walk in the opponents half the whole game...) men and maybe get a penalty by diving after accidently receiving a long goal kick from their keeper.  Disgraceful performance. Then again, this is accurate as they are Erdos team.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/oct/15/turkey-footballers-defy-uefa-again-by-celebrating-with-military-salute

Edited by Carambau

7 ore fa, Astafjevs ha scritto:

4th favourites, 5th favourites - how far down the list do you have to go before you're not a favourite? I feel like when there's four teams rated over you, you're not really a favourite. 

Just like in 2006.

1 ora fa, Baptista_8 ha scritto:

What are Finland like?

Finland football movement has grown up lately, even at youth level. I honestly can't see them getting any positive result in their regroupment but they play 5 at back, they're very compact and disciplinated and upfront they have a couple of guys with international experience (Pukki and Pohjanpalo). At the moment I don't consider them an easy challange. They'll probably end up at 0 but playing with sisu, also I would not underestimate it's the first time the National Team reaches an international competition and this could have a positive impact on their performances.

2 minutes ago, Federico said:

Finland football movement has grown up lately, even at youth level. I honestly can't see them getting any positive result in their regroupment but they play 5 at back, they're very compact and disciplinated and upfront they have a couple of guys with international experience (Pukki and Pohjanpalo). At the moment I don't consider them an easy challange. They'll probably end up at 0 but playing with sisu, also I would not underestimate it's the first time the National Team reaches an international competition and this could have a positive impact on their performances.

When's the next Jari coming through? 

24 minutes ago, Federico said:

Sami was a fantastic player as well.

Also I like to mention that Jukka Raitala is part of the squad. I remember I bought him on FMLive in 2008. I knew he was good :brock:

Don't know him, just liking the Sami praise. 

Best Liverpool defender pre VVD that I've watched. So cool on and off the ball.

5 hours ago, Federico said:

Sami was a fantastic player as well.

Also I like to mention that Jukka Raitala is part of the squad. I remember I bought him on FMLive in 2008. I knew he was good :brock:

FMLive...now that's a blast from the past. 

8 hours ago, Federico said:

Can't see anyone near at the kuningas level yet unfortunately :)

Perfection is hard to attain. There have been some good attempts, but Jari is Jari :cool: 

9 hours ago, Baptista_8 said:

You look at Italy tonight. Yeah it was against poor opposition, but when was the last time England looked that fluent? That's why we can't be among the favourites IMO.

Yeh but could Roberto Mancini write an open letter like Gareth can? 

16 hours ago, profii said:

I thought that's what Cesc said when I was watching it last night. :D 

16 hours ago, Darius1998 said:

Spinazzola has probably been the best player so far.

He was fantastic against us in the EL last season too, just up and down the flank all game, always seemed to have space and some quality too. 

1 minute ago, craigcwwe said:

He was fantastic against us in the EL last season too, just up and down the flank all game, always seemed to have space and some quality too. 

He could've been one of the best wingbacks of this generation if he wasn't made of glass.

Every game he plays without getting injured is a blessing.