The Jack Grealish (and occasionally England) Thread: It's coming home attempt 5782570

Pukey

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, pearcey_90 said:

Pickford: Walker, Stones, Maguire, Mings, Trippier: Rice, Henderson: Sterling, Kane, Saka

Wouldn’t be shocked if that’s the team that starts. Just hope it’s not a negative mindset and the wing backs are pinned back with the front 3 isolated. 

Phillips is the only outfield player to play every minute, it would be a bit surprising if he got benched now. 

On 24/06/2021 at 09:01, CMOZZA said:

I can imagine we're going to adopt Southgates fantastic 7-2-1 formation and hope for the best tbh

Who knew? :rolleyes:

But genuinely I don't care today as long as the job gets done. Would be nice to score a few but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Let put aside moaning and lets just get down to praying to our respective football gods. I'm currently praying to Dion Dublin (almost bought a Dube to accompany my prayers). Villa fans can try Ian Taylor? Leeds maybe go Lucas Radebe. SC91 can go Steve Bull. Collective prayer is the only answer

Edit: Christ, just as posted that Home Under the Hammer came on in the background on BBC1. If that's not a bloody sign then I don't know what is. Getting praying.

Edited by skybluedave

Honestly can’t conceive a scenario where we lose this. I know people are tired of hearing about Euro 96 but Southgate’s story arc is just too perfect. Same stadium, same competition, same opponents, 25 years almost to the day. Masterminding our greatest victory to exorcise the penalty demons.

One day there will be films made about tonight. It’s the Busby Babes climbing out of the plane wreckage to win the European Cup at Wembley. It’s Drogba losing umpteen semi finals and then winning the Champions League with his last kick as a Chelsea player. It’s Denmark coming off the beach to win Euro 92. It’s Zambia lifting the African Nations in the same city where all their team were killed. It’s Derek Niven recovering from cancer to score Chesterfield’s last ever goal at Saltergate in stoppage time.

Sometimes football just gives you these fairytale moments. No way a third rate German side under Sniffer Loew are going to deny Gareth his destiny.

4 hours ago, pearcey_90 said:

Pickford: Walker, Stones, Maguire, Mings, Trippier: Rice, Henderson: Sterling, Kane, Saka

Wouldn’t be shocked if that’s the team that starts. Just hope it’s not a negative mindset and the wing backs are pinned back with the front 3 isolated. 

It seems bizarre to me that we've gone from being desperate to cram as many of Lampard/Gerrard/Scholes into the team as possible, to trying to find ways to fit as few of Foden/Mount/Grealish etc in.   That team in the quoted post is a team full of players who run around a lot and not a whole lot else.  The only player that can really pick a pass is Henderson, and I'm 99% sure he won't even be playing anyway.

1 hour ago, Rob1981 said:

Honestly can’t conceive a scenario where we lose this. I know people are tired of hearing about Euro 96 but Southgate’s story arc is just too perfect. Same stadium, same competition, same opponents, 25 years almost to the day. Masterminding our greatest victory to exorcise the penalty demons.

One day there will be films made about tonight. It’s the Busby Babes climbing out of the plane wreckage to win the European Cup at Wembley. It’s Drogba losing umpteen semi finals and then winning the Champions League with his last kick as a Chelsea player. It’s Denmark coming off the beach to win Euro 92. It’s Zambia lifting the African Nations in the same city where all their team were killed. It’s Derek Niven recovering from cancer to score Chesterfield’s last ever goal at Saltergate in stoppage time.

Sometimes football just gives you these fairytale moments. No way a third rate German side under Sniffer Loew are going to deny Gareth his destiny.

ah rob nineteen eighty one enjoy the dreaming. tomorrow may be rough but enjoy the dreaming. 

Just now, Rob1981 said:

Christ guys, come on. These are the days we live for. If you can’t enjoy the actual game at least enjoy these precious hours beforehand where anything still seems possible.

We all live for 5 at the back and 2 defensive mids versus a team we're better than an paper

11 minutes ago, Bootador said:

We all live for 5 at the back and 2 defensive mids versus a team we're better than an paper

Yeah definitely not.

Germany still have the best squad on paper now France are out. They still have the spine of the Bayern Munich squad that looked a level above everyone else in Europe only 9 months ago.

Even if Germany have massively underachieved in international football over the past couple of years, one thing they are not is poor on paper. And on paper their squad is still comfortably better than England's (and comfortably better than Belgium's Italy's and Spain's too for that matter).

If Germany get their act together they should still be able to walk this tournament now France are out with the squad they have.

15 minutes ago, Bootador said:

Yeah I'd say so. Apart from our DMs we're stacked with elite players. 

I don't see how any England player could replace someone in the defense or midfield of Germany and call it an upgrade. 

15 minutes ago, Yuko said:

I don't see how any England player could replace someone in the defense or midfield of Germany and call it an upgrade. 

I don't think Germany have a great back 3 and could easily argue ours are better. I'm not quite sure how you can argue otherwise. We've got loads of quality at full back as have they so a draw. 

Midfield is theirs, but up front I'd only take Gnabry ahead of any of our options on form.

Just now, Bootador said:

I don't think Germany have a great back 3 and could easily argue ours are better. I'm not quite sure how you can argue otherwise. We've got loads of quality at full back as have they so a draw. 

Midfield is theirs, but up front I'd only take Gnabry ahead of any of our options on form.

The squads are quite similar, but I don't see how anyone can argue England > Germany on paper. If anything, the Germans also have winning experience at all levels on their side. 

1 minute ago, Yuko said:

The squads are quite similar, but I don't see how anyone can argue England > Germany on paper. If anything, the Germans also have winning experience at all levels on their side. 

I'm not saying England are miles better, but being the home team and all and given what's at stake if we win... we're going about this the wrong way imo. We have so many attacking options and we're setting ourselves up not to use them.

If it works fine, but if it doesn't question's have to be asked about the manager. We won't get an opportunity this good again. 

35 minutes ago, Bootador said:

We won't get an opportunity this good again. 

Why not?

You said the same thing 3 years ago and now you've got an even better opportunity.

On one side you're (rightfully) hyping up all the young talent you've got, but then you just keep praying for as easy of a draw as possible and look at top teams getting eliminated as if you're some minnows.

If anything, Denmark has played better than any other team, if they weren't so wasteful they would've beaten Belgium.

It's always harder to play against underdogs, especially if you have a manager as Southgate who's literally scared of the opportunity.

6 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Why not?

You said the same thing 3 years ago and now you've got an even better opportunity.

On one side you're (rightfully) hyping up all the young talent you've got, but then you just keep praying for as easy of a draw as possible and look at top teams getting eliminated as if you're some minnows.

If anything, Denmark has played better than any other team, if they weren't so wasteful they would've beaten Belgium.

It's always harder to play against underdogs, especially if you have a manager as Southgate who's literally scared of the opportunity.

I mean in terms of draw, of course we'll have chances to win it again but this draw is as good as it gets. 

If Southgate can't take advantage of it you have to question if he can be trusted with future campaigns. 

Edited by Bootador

And it ain't an easy run either or a once in a life time run. Firstly Denmark took 4 points off us last year in Nations League. Would be pretty tough going against them in a semis. 

Germany, Sweden, Denmark as run to the Euro final is pretty much what you'd expect in this format. Just you wouldn't normally have Germany first.  

France beat Ireland, Iceland and Germany to get to Euro16

Portugal beat Croatia, Poland and Wales.

Haha, sorry but that's definitely an easy run if you're a nation that's one of the favourites. The draw can easily work out differently, for example there were other big nations at Euro 2016 that didn't have the simpler run that Portugal had. England were one of them. Yeh they had Iceland round of 16, but then it was France > Germany if they wanted to make the final. This year they have one less big nation to play to make the final. That's quite obviously favourable than playing another one in the QF or SF.

Italy's run to the final was Spain > Germany > France. They fell at the second hurdle. Spain had the same issue.

Basically anyone in that bottom half had a tough run.

2 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

Italy's run to the final was Spain > Germany > France. They fell at the second hurdle. Spain had the same issue.

What? :D 

FFS how is it a “run to the final” if they went out in the quarters? That’s the whole point. If you have to play three massive teams then it’s really hard to win them all. Usually those teams that actually get through have only had 1-2 hard games. And if you have a nightmare run of games you usually go out to someone who has had it easier.

England’s run this year isn’t any easier than multiple other finalists from previous tournaments. France 16 played Ireland and Iceland. Germany 14 played Algeria in R16. Holland 10 played Slovakia in R16. Spain 10 played Paraguay in the quarters. Italy 06 only played Australia and Ukraine to get to the semis.

Nobody really smashes three fellow favourites in a row. They either get a bit of good fortune or they win one match against a big hitter and then fall short after that.

Different format, but in 2012 Spain had to beat France, Portugal and Italy in the final to win it. 

Italy beat England and Germany to reach it. 

That's an outlier but typically you face 1-2 very strong squads that were considered favorites from QFs and on, in any setup. 

Portugal in 2016 didn't, though France did in the semis vs Germany. Would have also played England if you didn't screw it up vs Iceland. Portugal would have also played Belgium if they didn't choke vs Wales. 

Not your fault if others collapse, but it makes things easier. 

If the winner from today doesn't make the Euro final, it'll be considered a failure. 

On the other hand you cannot say that Italy or Belgium failed, but if Spain doesn't make it to the SF eyebrows will be raised. If Belgium advances to the final, it's probably by beating Portugal, Italy and Spain, so that's a warranted place there that no one can argue against. Think this is the argument in place. England/Germany have no excuses to not make the final after today. 

31 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

I don't really know what you're responding to there. 

You talking about a “hard route to the final” for a team that went out in the last eight. Kinda proving your own point. In a 16-team knockout if a side has three hard games in a row they probably don’t get through.

On the flip side if a team has a run like England’s (or Germany’s) now it isn’t “easy” by the standards of previous tournaments, it’s a bit of the luck that an eventual finalist typically gets.

Edited by Rob1981

4 hours ago, Rob1981 said:

hate to be a downer but has there been a time when a Englishman has lost against Germany as a player and a manager in a major tournament? might be some for England in the past but that could potentially be a first ;)

5 hours ago, skybluedave said:

Let put aside moaning and lets just get down to praying to our respective football gods. I'm currently praying to Dion Dublin (almost bought a Dube to accompany my prayers). Villa fans can try Ian Taylor? Leeds maybe go Lucas Radebe. SC91 can go Steve Bull. Collective prayer is the only answer

Edit: Christ, just as posted that Home Under the Hammer came on in the background on BBC1. If that's not a bloody sign then I don't know what is. Getting praying.

Dublin would be a fine choice here too, but prayers are usually directed to his strike partner John "Shaggy" Taylor instead:

The A-Z of Cambridge United: P-T – Under The Abbey Stand

Absolutely pumped for this game - a day in the car with 5Live getting themselves over excited has spilt over to me too! They don't like it up 'em etc etc.

Southgate haters and ABEs in the mud, INGERLAND!!!

What a day.

Grealish fantastic off the bench, what a player to bring off fresh for the last 30.

Nullified Germany apart from a silly pass after we scored and the nervy first ten mins.

SO HAPPY

Edited by Haguey

I'm intrigued as to whether 3-4-3 is reserved just for playing big nations and the QF and SF will be 4-3-3 again. Or whether it was just for Germany because they also play a back three and every other game except potentially Belgium in the final (if they get there) will be 4-3-3

20 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

I can get hit by a bus tomorrow. Slip in the shower and break my neck. Crash my car. Have an anvil fall on my head. And I won't care. I will die a happy man. Knocked Germany out of a major comp :hammer:

Honestly feels like we should have got a trophy for that. 

28 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

I'm intrigued as to whether 3-4-3 is reserved just for playing big nations and the QF and SF will be 4-3-3 again. Or whether it was just for Germany because they also play a back three and every other game except potentially Belgium in the final (if they get there) will be 4-3-3

Why is it considered 3-4-3?

Seems more like a 5 backline no?