FM18 beta - What formation(s) are you using?

Sorry to gatecrash but I have a semi-related question and didn't want to make a whole new topic for it...

The lines between players (in the above screenshot between all CBs for example) are new, right?

Do they just represent "pass to so-and-so as a higher priority than anyone else"?

EDIT: Ah, or do they represent players swapping positions?

Thank you!

1 hour ago, TRFC said:

Sorry to gatecrash but I have a semi-related question and didn't want to make a whole new topic for it...

The lines between players (in the above screenshot between all CBs for example) are new, right?

Do they just represent "pass to so-and-so as a higher priority than anyone else"?

EDIT: Ah, or do they represent players swapping positions?

Thank you!

They relate to how well the players play together as a pair, and also other players in the vicinity.

I hate the bog-standard 4 4 2  but it's all I can do. The game fires up with my best players (Inverness Caley Thistle) on long-term injuries, and I couldn't work out the damn scouting system to draft in new players using up my £20K budget. Being stuck with such a small and raggedy rabble 442 it is :-(

currently i'm using 4-1-4-1.

as much as I love 4-2-3-1, i'm struggling the year to implement it. somehow i'm running off at the midfielder no matter what I do.

on 4-1-4-1 it plays me more balance.

If anyone here using 4-2-3-1 successfully, I would love to hear/see how they do it.

Playing 5-2-1-2 WB with 2 cm and 1 cam both left and right CB set to stopper and middle to cover, one target man using direct style with high tempo and attacking mentality with pass into space, slightly narrow formation..set all players to always close down on opposition instructions with slightly higher line..works a treat players basically gegenpressing winning the ball high and launching the ball over the top of the defense to my target man or advanced forward for easy one on ones

4231 wide for me. Very fluid / control system with shorter passing and pressing.

Playing as West Ham. Two top 4 finishes, two EFL cups and upcoming FA cup and champions league finals to play when I get home tonight.

Started as ex-International and top coaching badges though, so a lot easier of course....

I playing Spurs with what the game calls a 5-2-3 WB and getting good results. Structured and control generally, but adjusting mentality and structure as required based on opponents. Very few Team Instructions added and again added on a per opponent basis. 

On 1.11.2017 at 06:10, phnompenhandy said:

I hate the bog-standard 4 4 2  but it's all I can do. The game fires up with my best players (Inverness Caley Thistle) on long-term injuries, and I couldn't work out the damn scouting system to draft in new players using up my £20K budget. Being stuck with such a small and raggedy rabble 442 it is :-(

4-4-2 does not have to be boring at all. Currently at Leipzig I mirror how they play in RL with a Winger on the right and the Inside Forward on the AML position. Double striker, AF and DF, and a Wingback on the left to overlap my IF. Its really fun to play although I still need to tinker around a bit more.

I’m having the same problem with Lukaku. No matter what role I give him he doesn’t perform. And as you said, he’ll have 4-5 chances and squander every single one. And the 4-2-3-1 is really difficult to get to grips with this year. Even with Cleon’s latest article I’m still struggling. 

Using a 4-4-2

Control - Flexible

Exploit the flanks

Dribble Less

Shorter Passing

Play out from Defense

Play Slightly Wider

Can't remember anything else. Won the league my first season with York, so far unbeaten in the 2nd.

Love a 4-4-2.

6 hours ago, colinho said:

I’m having the same problem with Lukaku. No matter what role I give him he doesn’t perform. And as you said, he’ll have 4-5 chances and squander every single one. And the 4-2-3-1 is really difficult to get to grips with this year. Even with Cleon’s latest article I’m still struggling. 

He's done quite well for me. Mainly played him as a complete forward in a more direct style team where he can use his physical assets. As much as i despise Mourinho's tactics, the players in the United starting squad are all strong and athletic so i look to make the most of it.

Lukaku's stats:
League - 18(1) apps 19 goals
Cup - 2(1) apps 4 goals
Continental - 5(1) apps 5 goals
25(3) apps 28 goals.

• Administrators

With my Nantes team for home matches against teams I think I can win I'm using what you could call a 4-2-4 or a 4-2-2-2, with two wingers and two strikers. Have seen some success with it, but occasionally I get overpowered in the middle.

When I'm playing away or a team I think are better than me on paper I tend to switch to a 5-2-2-1 or a 3-4-2-1 with a back three, two wing backs, two CMs, two wingers and a striker through the middle. It's a bit more defensive and relies on keeping the ball a bit better. If I take the lead and want to hold on, I drop the wing backs back into conventional full backs and bring the wingers back to wide midfielders going into a 5-4-1 with a defensive forward. Has been doing quite well for me so far. I love going Highly Structured with the 5-4-1 at the end of the game if I'm in front, defensive and time-wasting. What a scumbag! :D 

I actually haven't played any matches yet. I started my save as unemployed with highest possible reputation and see where I ended up.

I'm now at the start of November and have landed a job at Lyon.

I will use 3 different formations depending what my opponent does. My philosophy is build on 3 different factors.

1) Always only play 1 central striker.

2) To match-up wide. If the opponent use 2 wide players, so do I. If the opponent use 4 wide players, so do I.

3) Always have a spare central defender compared to my opponent's attackers. So if I go up against a 1 striker team I use 2 central defenders. If I go up against 2 strikers I use 3 at the back.

So I use a 4-2-3-1 Wide (if opponets plays same formation I use atleast 1 inverted WB to give an extra central player going forward).

I use a 5-2-2-1 (WBs and AML/R) to play against the 4-4-2.

I use a 5-3-1-1 (WBs) against teams that plays 2 strikers but only 2 wide players.

Sorry for not having screenshots but I'm at work. Just closed the doors to my office so I can plan my tactics without being bothered by my emplyees.

... and yes! I do love Marcelo Bielsa :)

I've tried being fancy and it's not worked. 4-3-3 wide didn't work, 4-5-1 didn't work, so I've gone to basics - 4-4-2.

I've played 8 or 9 games, I've drawn 2 and lost the rest which is why I'm going back to basics (Although I took over mid-season, have no player support as it's my first job and I've got the Sunday League playing experience + no coaching badges and am yet to build my own squad.)

Can't remember the exact tactic, but it's something like

GK(d)

DFB(d)
CB(d)
CB(d)
DFB(d)

W(s) // May be changed, still looking to bring in a new LM.
AP(s)
CM(Au)
IW(s)

DF(s) // May be changed, still need 2 new strikers
TM(a) // May be changed, still need 2 new strikers

Standard + Structured.

Slightly Deepers defensive line + Some others, don't remember all of them.

4 hours ago, matty2323 said:

He's done quite well for me. Mainly played him as a complete forward in a more direct style team where he can use his physical assets. As much as i despise Mourinho's tactics, the players in the United starting squad are all strong and athletic so i look to make the most of it.

Lukaku's stats:
League - 18(1) apps 19 goals
Cup - 2(1) apps 4 goals
Continental - 5(1) apps 5 goals
25(3) apps 28 goals.

Did you re-train him to be a complete forward so he was perfect green in that area or did you just go with it? And I might also give it a try. I'm trying control and slight possession based tactic at home but maybe I should go for direct and athletic. Care to reveal your tactics?

7 minutes ago, colinho said:

Did you re-train him to be a complete forward so he was perfect green in that area or did you just go with it? And I might also give it a try. I'm trying control and slight possession based tactic at home but maybe I should go for direct and athletic. Care to reveal your tactics?

No retraining, just went with it. the ME seems to really favour crossing at the moment, so im just a normal 4-2-3-1 wide. Get it into the wide positions and put balls into the box, and encourage my deeper mids to be more direct. Most of Lukaku's goals have come from wider positions or playing off the shoulder and getting in behind. He doesn't have the technique to combine and join in the build up.

Got an asymmetric formation on my Sittard save on FMT, but not got than one loaded just now, so here's my current tactic for my Fulham save in the main game. 

It'a a version of a very successful tactic I had with Hacken in FM17

jgDHJy4.jpg

The only things I really change from game to game, depending how it's going, are the roles or instructions for the 2 vanilla CMs, and if I'm playing a bigger side, I sometimes reign the RWB back to being a standard FB. It's taking a while to get up to speed and I may have to fine tune a couple of things, but it's doing alright at the moment. 

On 11/6/2017 at 13:53, niklas1907 said:

Hey mate.

How has the game progress for you with this tactic? 

Thx!

Really good thanks. With United I have won everything in the first two seasons and also the u18's have won the league and youth FA cup too. 

image.thumb.png.220ce4077e23993b2cbb8b6347888a60.png

I am using a 4-2-3-1 Wide and a 4-3-3 Narrow. I used the same tactics in FM17 to great success promotions, League wins, and a Champions Final Winner depending on the team. In FM18, I have found that player's roles and suitability are much more important. I have only been playing in the Lower Leagues so far with FC United and Wrexham on FM18.

Am using what the game calls a 4-1-2-3 narrow with 3 strikers as Man United. Seems like 3 strikers might be very OP this year, my tactic isn't sophisticated or particularly carefully thought out yet I've won all but 2 games in the league after 19 games and have scored more than 60 goals. Lukaku's scored easily over a goal a game for me. The opposition just doesn't seem to be able to take advantage of the fact I've 3 players who never track back so the system is defensively very solid as well. I'm aware it's only a beta but it's a bit concerning that such ridiculous dominance can be achieved so easily by a very average fm player, albeit with a strong team

10 hours ago, Neil_Roberts said:

Really good thanks. With United I have won everything in the first two seasons and also the u18's have won the league and youth FA cup too. 

image.thumb.png.220ce4077e23993b2cbb8b6347888a60.png

Not bad, not bad at all. And indeed  Dybala looks like a beast in that False 9 role!
I think I will try this one out, and see if it works for me.

Just a couple of questions to the tactic, if you don't mind me asking :D do you use OI's? Are there any player instructions and does the striker have to be False 9 or can he be any other role, for the tactic still to work?

2 hours ago, niklas1907 said:

Not bad, not bad at all. And indeed  Dybala looks like a beast in that False 9 role!
I think I will try this one out, and see if it works for me.

Just a couple of questions to the tactic, if you don't mind me asking :D do you use OI's? Are there any player instructions and does the striker have to be False 9 or can he be any other role, for the tactic still to work?

I'm training him in the role as he's not fully suited to it apparently!  I don't use any OI's. I play Lukaku on his own up front as a target man and he's rubbish normally.

image.png.0b019fd7bfe21419aa9b8ffa325dbd50.png

19 hours ago, Neil_Roberts said:

There's a big hole in your midfield. haha. ;-)

There is, but the inverted wingbacks fill it when attacking and the inverted wingers offer some cover when defending. I don't think I'm going to win the league with it but I've still got my job which doesn't often happen with West Brom haha

Been playing the 4123 DM Wide variant, but it seems having started with a False Nine, that dropping that back into Shadow Striker has a somewhat exploitworthy effect. Even Sturridge is a beast out of position there. Will wait for the weekend and reserve judgement for now, but suspiciously easy with a flat front 3.

I've been doing well with a 4-2-3-1 formation (only lost 2 games in my first season).

Tactic.thumb.jpg.27e12db850cedcbeb9adeae19508a665.jpg

5a045f3cb8c5e_TeamInstructions.thumb.jpg.9ae42e429d446145b154505963b826c6.jpg

Additional player instructions;

GK - Distribute to fullbacks

LB - Stay wider

DM(r) - dribble less, shoot less

AMC - More direct passing

Two of my best games were against City

Score01.thumb.jpg.04cac2460daf0e815dd1027b2de9743b.jpgScore02.thumb.jpg.bb4715e2642a6071bd180e0f043cfa54.jpg

On 7. 11. 2017 at 23:10, AdaManager said:

I'm having some luck with this at the moment. Sometimes get a bit overloaded in the middle but is working well in the prem so far.

Screenshot (15).png

I  played this formation in FM16 with Southampton. And it was probably my best season in FM ever. I won Premier League with 106 points ... But since then I have not been able to repeat such a success 

Just check how many goals Lukaku scored in season 2018/2019 :-)

08608445A7F04031CD3CECAC55220B4B20BC4AA9

In FM18 - i do play 4-1-2-3 wide with Target man upfront

Archived