Football Manager 2017 17.3.0 Official Feedback Thread

@Bigpapa42

There are clearly some issues here but in order to get some help, you will need to start a thread in th relevant Bugs forum and upload a save for SI to have a look at as has been asked for before

I note that you have now opened a thread, so thanks for that

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On a similar vein in my San Marino game my owner is accepting bids of around 1k for good Regens due to financial status. Clearly that will make no difference and is clearly under valued.

Even more frustrating if I then offer one of these players out clubs are bidding 40k easily. Seems a little flawed or is there another reason?  Perhaps my chairwoman is just stupid?

12 hours ago, FrazT said:

@Bigpapa42

There are clearly some issues here but in order to get some help, you will need to start a thread in th relevant Bugs forum and upload a save for SI to have a look at as has been asked for before

I note that you have now opened a thread, so thanks for that

Yeah, done. Hope someone can take a look. I'd love to continue with that save but it feels.... buggy. Wrong.

I try not to be one to complain, let alone repeatedly. I sold 4 players in the summer window - 2 by the board, 2 by me because the  board was going to accept offers of about 10% of the value of what I was able to leverage. Had one player sold in the previous window by the board. Currently have 3 players upset at not being able to move when offers came in at the end of the window. That would be 7 first team players in one window, 8 in total. And I turned down multiple offers for almost every other player who is in or around the first team. I accept I'm going to lose potential stars to bigger clubs, but this just seems overt. And there are Colombian prospects of similar potential at other clubs that are not being targeted at all.

Did you abandon South America in this version of the game? I know it's tricky because South American club competitions change their format each season, but I see FM 17 has lost focus on our southern states. The Copa do Brasil is unplayable and the Club World Cup with random South American participants (Argentines most of the time) loses all the fun of starting a save in these countries.

Overall, I`m enjoying the game, but one of the things I hate is player interaction.

Take this example: I`m managing West Bromwich and I have a 33-year old Chris Brunt who comes to me saying he wishes to leave at the end of his contract (which runs out at the end of the season) because he needs a new challenge, feeling he`s achieved everything he could at West Brom. I agree to have a private chat with the player, but surprise: I only have two options, I either tell the player to f-off and say he`ll rot in the reserves (that the exacting wording) until his contract runs out, or I tell him I`ll be looking to cash out on him whilst I have a chance.  Whatever I say, I will have an unhappy player, because he`ll be unhappy if I tell him he`ll rot in reserves, and he`ll become unhappy at the end of the January transfer window (the request came on September 4th) because nobody will pay money on a 33-year old with 6 months left of his contract and he`ll consider I failed to keep my promise. The player no longer features in my plans, and I`d have happily agreed with his request, let his contract run out and allow him to leave, after all, he`s earned it after 11 seasons at the club, but obviously I can`t. 

I could swear I took a screenshot earlier today, when the conversation took place, but apparently I didn`t.

And before anyone suggests so, no, I don`t want to try FM Touch.

Edited by Marius_R

Tried out FM17 this weekend on the free preview. I must say, the game runs smooth and everything is much tighter than ever before. Clearly the best edition yet in terms of pure gameplay. But I won't be buying it, even on sale. The dealbreakers for me are no more ability to upload your own manager picture, and the monster regen faces. Despite all of the improvements, a long-term save requires some immersion, and I can't get that with the regen faces looking like they do and not being able to see my own face. Here's hoping SI brings back that option, as well as improves the look of regens for FM18.

• Administrators

Nothing, FM was free to play for this weekend only, which required a small update to accommodate it.

Has SI ever enquired how their shot definitions may differ from Opta standards, and where exactly? Was reminded of previous posts suggesting that this is/has been a fluid area in the game.

The FM engine counts shots that are blocked unless its practically a tackle ie within a yard or so.

[Paul on previous]

I am under the impression that there is still low-percentage attempts that make me doubt anybody would count it all +1 as a shot at Opta (immediate blocks, etc.), adding to that possible sense of faux domination. The one where a team may have loads of attempts, whilst all of them are actually quite, well, crap just from watching, and evidently see a rather low chance of conversion also. Naturally this could be always exaggerated by structurally unsound human player tactics, and weird AI manager ploys opposing it. But I'm eyeing all the stuff that is in zero space in particular, which naturally also involves the above mentioned apparently fluent definition of blocked shots +1, but not only those. How about 50/50 header challenges from indirect free kicks? What determines whether that is a shot at all? Is it in line with Opta? If the shot count would go down if there was barely anything much of an opening created whatsoever, then it may be easier to notice when there wasn't much space carved open. Tweaking the definitions in accordance to Opta et all is surely the first port of call, as that is what everybody is used to.

Edited by Svenc

Does AI managers tutor their young players?

I haven't seen in my save any AI teams across the world doing tutoring for their players and I'm now approaching the end of first season!

Is this a bug or am I missing something?

I promised myself to forget about Football Manager after 2015 version but couldn't resist. Skipped 2016 but bought this year's edition and I must say so far I've been pleasantly surprised! For me, the ME feels quite good compared to yesteryears' versions and I've got the feel-good factor back again. So thanks SI for that! Last time I've enjoyed FM this much was probably 2013 or something :)

But I do have one complaint, however. Or actually a suggestion for the future. The pre-game editor seems very buggy this time. I haven't reported any bugs yet because I'm not sure how much would you look into it since those bugs exist in my old Bolivian league file which I've imported from the 2015 db and I really don't want to start from scratch because I've got over 250 clubs and many more staff in it, which don't exist in the original database. But there is a very odd problem with promotion/relegation playoff, I can't get them to work no matter how I set them up. And I know you won't fix it until the next version of FM. So, would it be possible to make pre-game editor available for beta testing like you've done with the actual game? This way us customers could try it and find possible bugs and report them in earlier stage so the finished article would be better.

Edited by hewey

It's worth mentioning that SI do not officially support the use of custom files created in previous versions, they do their best to minimise issues when using older files but with each new release the development focus is ensuring the editor works when creating new files rather than ensuring complete backwards compatibility. 

3 hours ago, Barside said:

It's worth mentioning that SI do not officially support the use of custom files created in previous versions, they do their best to minimise issues when using older files but with each new release the development focus is ensuring the editor works when creating new files rather than ensuring complete backwards compatibility. 

Yes, I understand. That's why I haven't reported the bug. It might work if I started from scratch but it requires soo much work to be redone I rather scrap the playoffs completely. But it would be nice to be able to beta test the editor, too. I for sure would be interested. Anyway, the actual game is enjoyable again, which is the main point.

On 2017-03-21 at 16:38, Viking said:

I'll take a look at it. Thanks.

FM Touch is as exciting as chewing paper. Not a game for me. Regular FM used to be fun and relaxing. Now it's just stressful and exhausting. Incredible hard. Not a game for me.  :( 

I love the Game this Year ... Imo the Best FM since 2012 ... Only thing that i don't like is that results like 6-4 , 7-5 etc are happening quite often. Too often i think. I simulate everything (detail level on MAXIMUM) . 

7 hours ago, Sussex Hammer said:

Are those who play Full Fat experiencing any issues with penalty conversion rates.  In my experience both player and AI miss and incredible amount in FMT so just wondered if the full game has the same issue?

I've got most leagues on full detail and in all of them the conversion rates are between 75% and 85%, so pretty much spot on.

Re: Pens being fine overall, that doesn't necessarily mean everything is fine though. The things that may be worth eyeing are the shoot-outs. They tended to create wild dynamics before, not sure what the cause was. It obviously seems to be connected to the game handling those differently, as the specific widget hints at (players showing nervous/confident of the shootout). Similar during normal time, does the game consider "game states"? Research suggests there is a difference between a penalty taken at 4-0 up and the match decided and one taken at 0-1 with it being guaranteed to be the last attempt on target. So if there isn't a general issue, there may still be one connected to specific events, or players, connected to their traits/footedness too that a quick glance / in the overall soak test numbers / averages won't reveal themselves (same as a few isolated AI sides on FM 2015 initially being pretty hopeless defensively for exposing themselves, regularly having 4-6 scorelines).

Obviously there isn't a blanket field for "conversion rates" anywhere in the code likely (PaulC likely wish there was), so you can only do research and tweak play and decisions until things are both balanced and ideally you get to the point where that roughly approaches football numbers. F'r instance, if you know that top sides miss up to 70% of their Opta "big chances" you can try to approach it. With penalties it's tricky as the sample sizes in a season are tiny. Any ups and downs can be down to random chance entirelly (same as football results and league standings are... more than people give it credit for).  Take this: http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/bayer-04-leverkusen/elfmeterschuetzen/verein/15 And that's the same players that if you go a season back converted everything. Is that down to those guys being poor all of a sudden? Is it really down to the perceived punditry wisdoms of "guys not being in form /pressured". Or is it simply an unlikely fluke, with penalties after all getting missed by the best of them, which means there is a chance of not converting to each of them every time somebody steps up to the spot.

Furthermore, is it desirable to have in the game, and if so, how do you simulate it? And connected to this, there may still be a flaw that doesn't show in the averages, but only in specific scenarios. I.e. Left footed takers due to a weird glitch when playing for Leverkusen being nervous constantly picking not their natural corner, but the opposite of it. And keepers having coded an unintentionally bias to dive into just that corner, hurting the chance of conversion doubly so. That kinda stuff.

Edited by Svenc

2 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

I've got most leagues on full detail and in all of them the conversion rates are between 75% and 85%, so pretty much spot on.

it'd be worth noting if the % have changed since FM16 or previous?

"% of penalty scored was deemed too high in FM 16, they have been re-coded to achieve a more realistic state this year...."

If something like that statement were true, then I think a lot of the feedback/bugs/discussions about penalties stop... because the perception changes to "this years better im actually seeing a lot more missed penalties ... because they have improved it"

I didn't see anything mentioned in any release notes about penalties... but it does feel like there are a lot more misses this year... so many users will then feel (based on previous expectations/observations) that too many are being missed.

Out of interest, in your opinion, do you feel there are more missed penalties this year? (I'm not saying it's a bad thing... and I haven't measured the conversion rate in my own save... but when I read the comments about penalties, I do then think... yes quite a lot missed in my save too)

45 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

it'd be worth noting if the % have changed since FM16 or previous?

"% of penalty scored was deemed too high in FM 16, they have been re-coded to achieve a more realistic state this year...."

If something like that statement were true, then I think a lot of the feedback/bugs/discussions about penalties stop... because the perception changes to "this years better im actually seeing a lot more missed penalties ... because they have improved it"

I didn't see anything mentioned in any release notes about penalties... but it does feel like there are a lot more misses this year... so many users will then feel (based on previous expectations/observations) that too many are being missed.

Out of interest, in your opinion, do you feel there are more missed penalties this year? (I'm not saying it's a bad thing... and I haven't measured the conversion rate in my own save... but when I read the comments about penalties, I do then think... yes quite a lot missed in my save too)

It was very close to the real life percentages in FM16 too.

Of course, I'm not saying there definitely aren't issues, but it might be very, very specific, like high pressure penalties are missed too often etc. Overall, the numbers are good.

Well re the penalty issue in my previous save which I mentioned in another thread elsewhere went like this.

Game 1 - Mark Noble missed     Game 2 - Saido Berahino missed    Game 6 - Andre Ayew scored    Game 7 - Opponent missed    Game 8 - Opponent missed    Game 11 - Mark Noble missed    Game 13 - Mark Noble missed, Game 33 - Davy Klaassen scored    Game 39 - Andre Ayew missed.

So far that means my team took 7 penalties and missed 5 in 39 games.

In my latest save by January it has gone :

Game 3 - Mark Noble missed    Game 8 -  Mark Noble scored    Game 20 -   Won a shootout 5-3    Game 23 - Opponent scored    Game 29 - Mark Noble missed    Game 29 - Opponent scored    Game 32 - Mark Noble missed    Game 33 - Mark Noble scored    Game 34 - Andre Ayew missed

So 6 penalties and 4 missed for my team,.

Penalty shootouts seem reasonable in their conversion rates,.

I have noticed it really because of a few reasons.  Firstly Mark Noble IRL has probably missed two or three in around 10 years but in game misses regularly in this version but was pretty much a good bet to score in previous versions.  Direct free kick conversion rates are up in this version which is great don't get me wrong because at least you now can score them, but something is a bit off if more free kicks are scored than penalties.  The nature of the misses.  Keepers tend to save them more than missing the goal.  Some keepers pull of fantastic saves but generally it's because the penalty is so soft the keeper could actually throw his hat on it!!!  Noble for instance tends to score if he blasts it but then inexplicably hits a weak one the next time.  It almost gives the possibility in future versions that you should be able to tell your players how you want them to take a penalty.  IE Just blast it every time!!!

Just from those two saves though that's 9 missed out of 13.  That's not a good conversion rate at all.  Definitely the first version I have seen this. 

Edited by Sussex Hammer

4 hours ago, Sussex Hammer said:

Yeah I did think that but with a penalty stat of 18 and composure of 15 he is (or should be) my best taker!!!

He's not getting it done though, but you're persisting with him!

5 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

He's not getting it done though, but you're persisting with him!

Yeah well when you have someone as consistent as that IRL you hope that consistency transfers to the game because it is all about small margins so having a consistent penalty taker should grab you a few goals throughout the season.  Unfortunately it's the same situation in hoping Andy Carroll might score a few headers but in the game he is absolutely useless!!!  I'll change penalty takers and see if it makes a difference.

I have done a bit of digging or as much as you can do in FMT because you can't view other teams individual match stats all the way back to the start of the season and to be fair it seems the EPL penalty conversion stats seem decent so I must have a goalkeeper who makes his share of penalty saves and a decent real life penalty taker who just happens to be rubbish in the game!!

Penalties scored/taken

Che   4/6,   Tot   5/10,   M Utd   4/4,   Liv   4/5,   Ars   5/7,   WHU   2/5,   Soton   4/6,   Leic   2/4,   M City   4/4,   Wat   2/2,   Eve   0/0,   Bour   3/3,   Sun   1/2,   Stok   0/1,   CPal   1/1,   Burn   2/4,   Hull   1/3,   Boro   0/1,   Swa   1/1,   WBA   2/3

The only Club who have as bad a record as my lot are Tottenham who have missed 5 out of 10 and looking back as far as I can go Harry Kane has so far missed 4 out of 6.  Jamie Vardy of Leicester has missed 2 out of 3.

So I guess what does intrigue me is what makes a penalty taker?  Noble has Penalty stat of 18, Composure 15 and Finishing 9.  He relishes big matches is a consistent performer and his finishing has improved in training.  So I thought it may be his low blue finishing stat despite the penalty stat of 18 that may be the problem although looking back at FM16 his stats are similar and I can't remember him missing too many in FM16.

Kane however has Penalties 14, Composure 15 and Finishing 16 is also a big match performer with high consistency.  Vardy Penalties 16, Composure 13 and Finishing 16 also relishes big matches and is consistent.  So it's difficult to tell why those three are the big "missers" when it comes to penalties.  Probably just a lottery more than a stat issue.

12 hours ago, m_fenton said:

Mark Noble has missed 4 of his 22 Premier League penalties: http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/mark-noble/elfmetertore/spieler/31835/plus/0?saison_id=ges&wettbewerb_id=GB1

(Useful site generally btw if you are looking for stats)

Well he has now missed 5 out of 7 in one season and I have 10 games left.  Just seeing how many he misses all year.  Funny thing is he has scored 3 direct free kicks with a free kick stat of 12!!!!  :rolleyes:

Edited by Sussex Hammer

I repeat my questions for the thirth time. I sincerely hope i get an answer this time: (thank you)

Hello,

Still no answer to this post on 29/03...... (originally posted on 12/03)

Every year with the winter transfer update I ask myself the same question: why can't you do the update like it really is and let the players join their new clubs in Januari? (when you click on the player you can then see "joining ..... on 01/01/2017" - the exact

transfer date in Januari would maybe go too far :D)

E.g. Man Utd: Schneiderlin is already at Everton and Depay is at Lyon. Extra Man Utd question: it looks like the news of the day is that Schweinsteiger will join Chicago Fire. Is there a chance this will be updated in a following update or not?

So to put my question short: why can't you do the update like this? Is it too difficult to program?

Kind regards,

Koen

1 hour ago, FMDa_Willy said:

I repeat my questions for the thirth time. I sincerely hope i get an answer this time: (thank you)

Hello,

Still no answer to this post on 29/03...... (originally posted on 12/03)

Every year with the winter transfer update I ask myself the same question: why can't you do the update like it really is and let the players join their new clubs in Januari? (when you click on the player you can then see "joining ..... on 01/01/2017" - the exact

transfer date in Januari would maybe go too far :D)

E.g. Man Utd: Schneiderlin is already at Everton and Depay is at Lyon. Extra Man Utd question: it looks like the news of the day is that Schweinsteiger will join Chicago Fire. Is there a chance this will be updated in a following update or not?

So to put my question short: why can't you do the update like this? Is it too difficult to program?

Kind regards,

Koen

that is fairly easy thing to do on SI part. yu can even do it yourself in the editor. SI doesn't do it as majority of players want to play with the latest squads. 

plus i suppose if they were set up as future transfers people might moan that they are able/are not able to cancel these when they take over a team.

giving two options from databases gives some element of choice as to whether you want to start 'as is' in July or start with updated squads

Hey, I'm just going to throw in my opinions of this game and its development. Firstly, on a positive note, this is the best version of FM to date, BUT that is no excuse for the long term shortcomings and slow rate of progressive development in my opinion.

Just because this game has no direct rival in the gaming industry based on content and subject within this genre (Strategy/Management) is no excuse for it to not be competing with other games in the industry. The lack of progress being made with this game from a year to year basis is shockingly bad. Yes, i understand that a lot of data changes and updates are required for a new version which must use up a lot of resources. But when you see Miles and such bragging about over 1 million units sold and the increased success of the publisher, SEGA, in recent years compared to over a decade ago, it makes you wonder why the game cant be taken further. I will admit I have no knowledge of how games developers run and work on a day to day basis, this is just my logical opinion based upon a customer/outsiders public viewpoint, which after all is what truly matters.

My growing gripe with specific gameplay mechanics and AI, is the increased frustration and boredom with player interaction and dealing with other AI clubs. Various issues and causes include:

1) Unreasonable asking prices for AI players in comparison to AI clubs bids on the User's non-transfer listed key players/hot prospects

2) Lack of dynamic/intuitive resolutions to the knock on effects of rejecting such bids that are flooding in continuously with very little improvement regardless of stern intent in rejecting the initial bid ("The offer is not good enough" or "Player is indispensable to the club") 

3) The total limitation of generally resolving ongoing player issues is not only infuriating but I feel helpless in the final outcome of the players happiness.

Moving away from that specific issue I'm currently experiencing and taking a overall outlook/summary on this year's version in comparison to the previous few years. i believe the level of progress is uninspiring from a long term player's public viewpoint. Yes, the game is improving from year to year, there is no doubt about that, but for the past few years I've felt like i have been playing virtually the exact same game but with content/feature patches added on and re-released at full price. One example that comes to mind is that these "new features/improvements" on a year to year basis are similar to the content patches that are regularly provided for free by a Developer such as Paradox Interactive which produces many games within FM's general classification of Strategy/Management game. I as a customer and loyal addict would like to better understand based on public information released by SI/SEGA the overarching development strategy that FM is currently taking and in the future. Is the business model now just a case of pumping out a new full release every early November which includes minor improvements on the previous version? Or will we see definitive version differences and leaps in development that we once saw of this product line under the name "Championship Manager"? A less passionate/more casual player than myself of this series may jump to incorrect conclusions of a "lazy developer signed up to a has-been publisher" which while being an extreme judgement also has a bit of merit behind that statement, in my honest opinion, because that is exactly what general public perception is and that effects continual faith in the product. We need more positive progressive public information to influence that perception of this series and the companies attached to its development and that the whole product and identity isn't lagging behind in the ever-growing games industry. A lack of content rival is no excuse.

Switching back to gameplay fundamentals, a change of focus I feel is required to engage the user in a more immersive intuitive gaming experience over hundreds of hours played. My perception of the development of features such as team talks and press interaction draws me to the conclusion of increased narrow minded linear development in these areas. To the point where these gameplay mechanics are becoming a mind numbing chore due to the lack of innovation and creativity shown in the slow development. Faster paced reactive systems would immerse the user into a dynamic ever changing gameworld, yes, this could be construed as drifting away from "realism" but finding the correct balance is hugely worth the risk if it means the users enjoy the product more. I could give some examples, but for one it would take far too much time to type out and secondly, its not my job to come up with specifics.

In terms of the Match Engine, I think I stated this in my feedback post for FM2016, but I would really love to see a third party developer work alongside SI to solely produce and develop the Match Engine. Again, I don't know the resources available and the relationship that SI have with SEGA in order for this to happen. But surely we would end up with a revolutionary match experience. Yes as it stands, the match engine is as good as it has ever been, but the progression of development in this area is lacking. On a side note, I know 3D representation is only a design feature but this is 2017 we need something more immersive and enjoyable to look at. Like with the statements in the previous paragraph, a greater level of design encourages and enables development of improved gameplay mechanics.

I have many more opinions but I will leave it there for now in a relatively generalised summary, and also I'm typing this while streaming on Twitch, so my viewers are probably face palming right now.

Just one man's opinion.

Kyznar.

3 hours ago, SpooneyDM said:

In terms of the Match Engine, I think I stated this in my feedback post for FM2016, but I would really love to see a third party developer work alongside SI to solely produce and develop the Match Engine. Again, I don't know the resources available and the relationship that SI have with SEGA in order for this to happen. But surely we would end up with a revolutionary match experience. Yes as it stands, the match engine is as good as it has ever been, but the progression of development in this area is lacking. On a side note, I know 3D representation is only a design feature but this is 2017 we need something more immersive and enjoyable to look at. Like with the statements in the previous paragraph, a greater level of design encourages and enables development of improved gameplay mechanics.

Wanted to comment on this point, SI are at the forefront of match simulation which means that even if they were to change their philosophy to bring in a third party to work with them on ME development there isn't another game developer out there that comes close to matching the knowledge SI have, let alone exceed it & as the engines of other sports action game developers have very different requirements it woudl be in the interest of an EA or Konami to partner up to gain access to SI's coding knowledge in return for access to their much larger coding resources.

4 hours ago, SpooneyDM said:

One example that comes to mind is that these "new features/improvements" on a year to year basis are similar to the content patches that are regularly provided for free by a Developer such as Paradox Interactive which produces many games within FM's general classification of Strategy/Management game.

I am a big Paradox Interactive fan but to say they are free is misleading. Their patches are funded by lots and lots of expensive DLC.

Crusader Kings 2, a 5 year old game, plus DLC packs (not including the 2 most recent DLC) is on special offer on Steam - 15% off at £178.65.

If Paradox made Football Manager we would probably get only the English, German, Italian, French, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian playable leagues.

Want the Spanish league? £20, facepacks - £1 a league, pre game editor - £4.

3 minutes ago, Ale88 said:

Are you planning to release any new patch in the next weeks? Thanks!

There aren't any plans for more updates. That's not to say that a minor patch (like the 17.3.1 and 17.3.2 patches) will definitely not happen, ... just that none are planned.

I still can't believe this.
Transfer delay prompts still occur due to "insufficient funds" and game not being able to adjust budget balance due to "contract talks still being open".

Just now it basically ruined another save of mine.
There's plenty of money to switch around in my current budget and I had 2 transfers set.

But I had 0 on the transfer budget side at the time, and I needed 60k€ total.
I had to cancel the transfers because there's no other way for it to get adjusted, delaying doesn't help.
When I cancelled, I could get it up to 130k€.
And now because the game counts it as "breakdown in talks" the player's damn agent doesn't wanna negotiate again and I'm completely f-ed less than a week away from deadline.

Basically, if you don't manually adjust your budget balance every time and you initiate a transfer, you're f-ed because game doesn't recognize there's plenty of money to switch around.
The worst thing is that this is so incosistent, because in a lot of cases you just get the "adjust budget and complete transfer" prompt and that's it.

Lost all motivation to play now. Again.

In my game. Players who are in the early 30s (30-33) full internationals who are free agent due to contract expiry. The are just free agent for a week before there is a mass retirement by all of them. They do have clubs interested in them. Why don't you set them to wait till the transfer window is over, currently they are gone even before the new season updates and transfer window open

Edited by goblinshark

On 6.4.2017 at 09:19, HUNT3R said:

There aren't any plans for more updates. That's not to say that a minor patch (like the 17.3.1 and 17.3.2 patches) will definitely not happen, ... just that none are planned.

Would love a 17.3.2 patch that doesn't disable the possibility to add your own manager picture.

1 hour ago, FrazT said:

17.3.0 is the latest database version, 17.3.1 is the latest game version

Is there a way to get this update manually? When I tried to start a new game, 17.3.0 was only one I could could choose.

If you want to start a save with all the new transfers in it, is there any difference between 17.3.0 and 17.3.1? 

OhHoopedOne - you aren't the first and you sure aren't going to be the last! ;)

There are only 2 databases.

Football Manager (17.1.0) = Release database

17.3.0 = Winter transfer update

17.3.1 was a game update ONLY - there were no database changes at all.

On a side note - Sports Interactive must change the naming of databases as this happens every single year. Name them 2017 Release and 2017 Winter, or after former football managers, or even Miles' pets/children/favourite food! Literally anything as long as it doesn't clash with the game naming versions.

22 hours ago, OhHoopedOne said:

Is there a way to get this update manually? When I tried to start a new game, 17.3.0 was only one I could could choose.

If you want to start a save with all the new transfers in it, is there any difference between 17.3.0 and 17.3.1? 

17.3.0 is the updated database. There is no 17.3.1 database.

I have played less than one full season in this years FM so some or all observations written blow might be non-significant due to small sample size.

Something seems wrong with in game morale. I understand that team being six goals up is losing focus, but shouldn't other team's morale be down? 

It's far too easy to crowd midfield and dominate possession against much stronger opposition. Passing ball trough traffic in packed central areas is also far too easy even for technically deficient players.  

Another issue is, in my opinion, poor implementation of pressing. Prolonged passing sequences completely destroy defensive shape. This is killing AI as it can't work around this issue.  

Besides, players (especially central defenders) too frequently abandon key areas in front of goal to close down player in possession in wide area that poses no direct threat. It's not unusual to see one or both central defenders abandoning position to close down wing in possession even when their team is outnumbered on counter-attack and opposition forwards are rushing into the box.  

It's easy to identify good prospects by checking which youngsters are being targeted by top AI teams. On top of that AI is passive outside of transfer windows so it's easy to sign great players and talented youngsters without any competition from AI teams. 

Untitled4.png