The Anybody But England Thread.

I wouldn't be surprised if Costa Rica at least get a point from this and the reason is because Italy the other night weren't that impressive against England who in all honesty were quite unlucky not to get a point from the game

Costa Rica on the other hand didn't start too well against Uruguay, grew into the game and then ran out deserved winners

• Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wait, you think England fans don't care if Scotland win, lose or draw including when we play you? Ofcourse we're going to ****ing boo your anthem when you play us and hope you get battered, Christ :D

Virtually everyone I know supports Scotland and Wales when they play, every pub has a token Scot and Welshman which makes it easier. I have to agree though that we probably would be hoping you lose every game if you were any competition to us, it's easy to support you when you are like a little brother. I'd be worried that English people support you because it more than likely means your team is a little crap.

Sweden are largely terrible bar Ibra though, so they aren't a great example. African teams at the world cup generally demonstrate the lack of influence of a single player when coming up against good teams.

Greece have maintained their ranking by beating the teams below them, and losing to the teams above them. They are generally decent (in the grand scheme of things) and tend not to have any dire players, with a reasonable depth but lack any greats. Their major failing is that they are good enough to qualify for these tournaments but struggle against better opposition, hence all the moaning. Rather than just posting their group members each qualifying round, look at their results.

My point was, if Scotland were as insignificant as our English cousins tell us we are, then I highly doubt there would be as much animosity between both sets of fans as there is.

A little bit crap? :lol: We're f'n awful. It's only since Strachan's come in have we've played anything resembling football for a good few years. I don't expect it to last either as we tend to do good when there's little or no pressure on us. We accept we're pish.

My point was, if Scotland were as insignificant as our English cousins tell us we are, then I highly doubt there would be as much animosity between both sets of fans as there is.

A little bit crap? :lol: We're f'n awful. It's only since Strachan's come in have we've played anything resembling football for a good few years. I don't expect it to last either as we tend to do good when there's little or no pressure on us. We accept we're pish.

I don't think anyone suggests Scotland is insignificant. You're still a neighbouring nation with a history of hating the English so we're bound to have some animosity.

It's just that we're far more significant to you than you are to us that's all.

Sweden are largely terrible bar Ibra though, so they aren't a great example. African teams at the world cup generally demonstrate the lack of influence of a single player when coming up against good teams.

Greece have maintained their ranking by beating the teams below them, and losing to the teams above them. They are generally decent (in the grand scheme of things) and tend not to have any dire players, with a reasonable depth but lack any greats. Their major failing is that they are good enough to qualify for these tournaments but struggle against better opposition, hence all the moaning. Rather than just posting their group members each qualifying round, look at their results.

Smaller teams want to be in higher pots, they have to go out and beat better teams than them who are in that position. Sounds fair to me. I don't see the issue with the seeding system. Sure you sometimes benefit if you're a bit lucky with the group you get in, but in my view the teams that get a lower rated pot 1 team in their group should be looking at them and say "We could potentially qualify here." When they do then they'll be eventually in the top pots.

Lineker supporting the team that gives one of the home nations a chance to go thorugh is an issue now? not really an issue, maybe if some others got in we could see less England bias.

Anything the English do to be support the English is a terrible affront to the rest of the UK you know?

Win against the smallest side, the weakest side of the group. The supposed whipping boys who were there for teams to flex muscles and score goals against. Yes, you have a great chance. With all due respect to Costa Rica, they have nowhere near the quality of England. You win and you're through is basically your scenario. Great maybe exaggerated, but you do have a very good chance to qualify.
We have A chance, not a good one, not a great one, just a chance. In isolation the results needed are not beyond the realms of possibility but if Italy win today, then they know they only need a point to win the group, Uruguay will sit on a point to go through especially if news come through that we're winning.

We have A chance, not a good one, not a great one, just a chance. In isolation the results needed are not beyond the realms of possibility but if Italy win today, then they know they only need a point to win the group, Uruguay will sit on a point to go through especially if news come through that we're winning.

On the other hand, Italy would probably prefer us to go through on account of the fact that we're more rubbish than the other two teams.

Except we are natural rivals, because both of our nations are the pioneers of football. Our history goes back further than any other nation and our rivalry goes with that history. The first teams to play football and the first teams to develop a rivalry over football (with each other, obviously).

Perhaps a more appropriate comparison of teams would be that England and Scotland are a bit like Manchester United and Manchester City (pre-billionaire takeover). One is massive, generally speaking successful (not that you have anything to show for it bar one trophy almost 60 years ago) and the other used to be able to compete at the same level but has since fallen far and can't compete to the same degree anymore. There's still a bitter resentment from each side towards the other, though.

As I've said a couple times now - I don't hate England. If you guys do well I'll be happy for the fans. I don't believe I've made any serious wind up posts in here... well, not until people started bringing up Scotland. And then I only react because it's tit for tat. It's still not entirely serious. I've taken this thread as a laugh and I think most have, except it would seem milnerpoint and perhaps bluebirds a couple pages ago :lol:

Pardon? Been great fun!

sad montages despite the fact they've done this since I've been watching World Cups which is about 25 years?

surely they must get used to it at some point, the team or the system to make that team simply isn't good enough

don't believe the results mates. england is a powerhouse nation. their reputation alone will carry them over a diddy country from a diddy fed like costa rica. I mean, did costa rica face a gauntlet of fearsome qualifying opponents like montenegro, moldova and san marino? no, they did not. 0 english points are worth more than 6 costa rican points. that's just math.

uefa! uefa! uefa!

It's just that we're far more significant to you than you are to us that's all.

So why so much foaming and indignance when we have a wee giggle at England's continuing ineptitude?

Tbh, the 'well Scotland are sh*te anyway' defence is just hilarious.

1. Goading a people who are as comfortable with deriding their own nation doesn't really work as a bait.

2. Comparatively speaking, money and population wise, England are even bigger wasters and perpetual under-achievers than Scotland.

So again, why do so many Englanders throw the toys out of the pram when we have a bit of a gloat if they genuinely don't care about an insignificant diddy country?

Already seen people pulling in their England flags from the window, chucking plastic flags in the bin, taking all the England stuff off their cars... Absolutely LOVE this part of an England knockout at a major tournament :************)

So why so much foaming and indignance when we have a wee giggle at England's continuing ineptitude?

1. Goading a people who are as comfortable with deriding their own nation doesn't really work as a bait.

2. Comparatively speaking, money and population wise, England are even bigger wasters and perpetual under-achievers than Scotland.

So again, why do so many Englanders throw the toys out of the pram when we have a bit of a gloat if they genuinely don't care about an insignificant diddy country?

You know as well as I do that I so have the upper hand here. I only have to call you a Nationalist to get you PMing me bleating.

I'm not in the least bit bothered by the Scots gloating. I don't blame them in the slightest. I would.

I've never met any Scot who says we aren't pish. In fact, we've probably said worse about our national team than anything the English can throw at us.

Archived