The Anybody But England Thread.

I have to say I was born in Dundee and lived there for some 20 years, my Father would drag me to some Dundee games and I have to say I never felt any rivalry with St Johnstone.

I know it is known as the 'Tayside' derby but I hardly ever heard a Dundee fan even care what St Johnstone were up to.

Also for about 6 years I was with a girl from Perth and would talk football with some St Johnstone fans and again never felt any rivalry from them regarding Dundee.

I must have missed that entirely.

That's because there's only 3 St Johnstone fans and one of those is a sheep dog. Boltman is one of the very few Dundee fans to have met them.

• Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Already seen people pulling in their England flags from the window, chucking plastic flags in the bin, taking all the England stuff off their cars... Absolutely LOVE this part of an England knockout at a major tournament :************)

Yeah, you're just made that up though, haven't you :D

You look out your window and there are broken England flags sticking out the bin? Do you live in a cartoon ;)

It will be the same as it has been in recent times, hell I can almost read the complaints now.

"Why is Barkley being played on the left, he should be in the middle"

"Ohh FFS why don't we just play the kids and give them some experience"

"If we had brought Gerrard we would have won the competition"

That's always the way when you have a few options though and with some players coming through, everyone has an opinion, at least we have some decisions. Previously we had a clearly good XI but then the subs were not at the same level as Scholes, Beckham, Lampard, Owen, etc but we're not really like that now.

We can say now yeah, we should have taken Ashley Cole. I'd have happily taken Ashley Cole but he hasn't been playing and he's also getting old. At some point we need to make the transition and Baines didn't have a great tournament but we have the make the transition. Someone needs to take Gerrard out back and shoot him too

Most of these comments are typical media comments. They don't know what they want one game to the next except they want to write something. There's one thing for sure is they'll be telling us all next few days and next season what was so obvious all along .. with the benefit of hindsight, of course. They won't be able to believe we did this or that and they'll be telling us all how clear this all was the whole time!

I am sure they'll be telling us how Gerrard was finished and we should have played Wilshere. They're very good at stuff like that

Yeah, you're just made that up though, haven't you :D

You look out your window and there are broken England flags sticking out the bin? Do you live in a cartoon ;)

Saw all of these happen within 50feet of my house this afternoon. People are especially angry around these parts it seems :D

back to England, I see journalists are snapping away after a tournament where they said at the start "young kids, going there for experience and to develop" etc

one saying that they should be issuing apologies to the fans for travelling to that "humilation". Wouldn't really say it was a humiliation? they only lost two games 2-1

This is a very obvious trend with the English media (not the regular fans). Has happened at the last few tournament as England's pool of talent has got progressively shallower and the team has got worse and worse, but this is the most pronounced case of it yet. They talk down their chances while weirdly whipping up false confidence with a few humdrum friendly results: See Tyldesley et all concluding that a scrappy 0-0 with Honduras showed that England have nothing to worry about from Costa Rica. Then, in the tournament, perhaps an opening win over some diddy team gives massive optimism. In this case they had a true Scotland-style 'glorious defeat', which simply raised confidence because, hey, it was Italy, and they expected to lose more heavily. Fair enough, but then they run into a team they had deluded themselves into thinking was beneath them, but in truth is probably of a similar standard, slightly better because they have a world class player while England don't. They lose and the sky is falling!

As I say, this is just the media, possibly some of the players, all the England fans I know are much more level-headed. It's a weird cycle and god, it must be emotionally exhausting. When you support Scotland you get used to creditable performances in losses against good teams followed by laughable flops against, well, everyone else, so it all flattens out. And we don't really have that many decent players for the manager to choose from so there's less to navel-gaze over.

Being moderately serious for a split second I actually have more affection for this England side than I have any of the others since 1996. We've done ok previously but I've had no real interest, but the attitude of this team, particularly against Italy made me want them to win.

Sadly the quality was lacking but that's what happens when you have too many Liverpool players who have been made to look better than they are by the man who ultimately put us out. :D

Agree with this. It suddenly makes me feel happy not to be a Liverpool fan. :D

Liverpool have definitely ****ed us this tournament. The worst England team at a World Cup being made up mostly of Liverpool FC players, Baines and Jagielka playing for Everton, Rooney and Baines being scousers, Hodgson an ex Liverpool manager. The sooner we get back to relying on London and Manchester the better. The City of Liverpool has shown themselves up this year extremely badly, it's no wonder noone outside Liverpool likes them.

You have to feel for the Liverpool supporters. First they see their hopes of a Premier league title slip between their fingers at the last minute and then they get to see half their team underperform on the world stage and get knocked out by their own Mr Bitey. And Scotland supporters thought they had it bad!

You have to feel for the Liverpool supporters. First they see their hopes of a Premier league title slip between their fingers at the last minute and then they get to see half their team underperform on the world stage and get knocked out by their own Mr Bitey. And Scotland supporters thought they had it bad!

Most of us are happy that a lot of the team get the rest of the summer off to concentrate on the PL next year, so I don't know why we need to be felt sorry for, especially when we had a great season last season.

Quite a big bulk of Liverpool fans don't really care about England.

Although on one hand that is a depressing notion on the other it would be amazing if the supposed whipping boys of the group end up with 9 points :)

I think it is more likely Costa Rica will try and play out a draw to keep themselves top while conserving their strength later in the cup.

I'm sure Costa Rica won't be underestimating England. Though clearly a team of limited ability and experience at a World Cup, England could still pose a threat on the counter-attack, so Costa Rica won't be taking them lightly and playing for a draw, they'll be aiming squarely at a solid win.

I'm sure Costa Rica won't be underestimating England. Though clearly a team of limited ability and experience at a World Cup, England could still pose a threat on the counter-attack, so Costa Rica won't be taking them lightly and playing for a draw, they'll be aiming squarely at a solid win.

Its the final games when the minnows are out that can scupper your chances of being a group winner and can be a big difference in further rounds.

Although on one hand that is a depressing notion on the other it would be amazing if the supposed whipping boys of the group end up with 9 points :)

3 wins out of wins seems quite rare in this tournament, maybe only France and Argies with the easiest groups known to man?

Be crazy if Costa Rica did it.

Archived