The Anybody But England Thread.

Don't see us qualifying for '16 myself. That group's still a bit too tough for us, what we need to do is keep repairing the standing and seeding pots, then we can think about qualifying again. Encouraging signs lately though.

Think we're just as good if not better than Poland and Ireland. If we can get get at least four points against one or both of those teams then it'll be enough. We only need to finish in the top 3 to be in with a shout of the actual tournament.

Ireland are on the decline I would say and Poland haven't got anything going for them bar Lewa, Kuba and Piszczek. Admittedly three very good players, but we beat them only three months ago (admittedly Lewa and Kuba did not play that night) so there's a lot to be positive about. Strachan is working wonders for us atm. We can go far I feel under his leadership. Euro 16 isn't out of the question.

For the first time in about 8 years I'm genuinely excited for a Scottish qualifying campaign.

I'm only 21, the 98 world cup means nothing to me, my first real memories are from the 02 final. I don't know what it is for Scotland to be at the World Cup, or even a European Championship. So maybe I'm just getting a bit carried away, I dunno, but I have a good feeling and it's nice :cool:

• Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The friendly result means nothing. Remember the Czech Republic?

Irrespective of Ireland and Poland, we're also perfectly capable of binning it v's Georgia as well. I also think both of those sides are far better equipped to take something off Germany than we are as well, that's assuming Germany actually give anything up to begin with :D

To qualify you really need to be consistent throughout and win the games you really have to be winning. We're not quite there yet.

The friendly result means nothing. Remember the Czech Republic?

Irrespective of Ireland and Poland, we're also perfectly capable of binning it v's Georgia as well.

To qualify you really need to be consistent throughout and win the games you really have to be winning. We're not quite there yet.

Craig-Levein.-Scotland-ma-008.jpg

[e: being serious though, we're as likely to bin it V Georgia as Ireland and Poland are. The three sides really aren't a million miles apart in terms of quality and, probably just me being me and getting a bit excited or whatever, I favour us over Ireland at the very least. I'm not saying I expect us to qualify. But we can do it and I think we will]

I'd say we'd do reasonably well to finish third. It's fine for people to compare us 1 v 1 with Poland, Ireland, Georgia, but the group isn't a 1 v 1 competition, you have to finish ahead of all three of those sides, and that's a wholly different proposition to 'we can beat them 1 v 1'.

I think we have a bit more quality than Ireland, who have also been on a bad run recently. We're also playing the home tie against them in an actual good stadium with a great atmosphere, rather than Hampden, which will give us a boost.

I'd say we'd do reasonably well to finish third. It's fine for people to compare us 1 v 1 with Poland, Ireland, Georgia, but the group isn't a 1 v 1 competition, you have to finish ahead of all three of those sides, and that's a wholly different proposition to 'we can beat them 1 v 1'.

It'll be scappy, no doubt. Germany will likely take maximum points and then it'll be a three-way scrap between Poland/Ireland/Scotland for 2/3rd. Every team will drop points to each other, we aren't going to waltz to second losing only two games. There will be ups and downs, of course there will. But where we might only get one point at Hampden against Poland, we might take three in Dublin. Only for Ireland and Poland to both draw blanks against Georgia and then we'll sneak in ahead.

Or we'll just crash and burn and finish below Gibraltar.

It's exciting, regardless. First time since the Euro 2008 qualifiers where I think we have a genuine chance... I'll be telling my kids one day of the time we conquered France in Paris...

article-0-01AAD5E9000004B0-219_468x286.jpg

:D

Germany will absolutely ruin yous in both games and they'll probably do the same against us as well. I reckon that group will finish Germany, Poland and then Ireland with Scotland narrowly missing out on third place.

I expect Germany will win every game, with a ridiculously high goal difference. I can only see them dropping points away to Poland, who hate them.

Germany will absolutely ruin yous in both games and they'll probably do the same against us as well. I reckon that group will finish Germany, Poland and then Ireland with Scotland narrowly missing out on third place.

Substitute Ireland and Scotland here and you have my take on it.

I think this is an agree to disagree moment :D

Gibraltar.

Bogey team/nemesis/national disgrace spotted!

You just know it's going to happen. Liechtenstein all over again. Christ, I remember the disbelief at drawing 2-2 in Cyprus with minutes to go. How the (comparatively speaking) mighty have fallen. Oh, and then there's that point gained in the Faroes..........

Ireland are shambolic but years of hoping Scotland will do well has taught me that Scotland always find a way to **** things up even more than we do and I suspect it'll be a battle of who can make the biggest mess out of qualifying. Like, Ireland will lose away to Georgia and then while it looks impossible, Scotland will lose away to Gibraltar. That's something that would actually happen.

Ireland are shambolic but years of hoping Scotland will do well has taught me that Scotland always find a way to **** things up even more than we do and I suspect it'll be a battle of who can make the biggest mess out of qualifying. Like, Ireland will lose away to Georgia and then while it looks impossible, Scotland will lose away to Gibraltar. That's something that would actually happen.

Yep, exactly. Finishing second will come down to whoever makes the smallest mess of their campaign. It's Germany and 4 'not really that good at all' teams. You just know it's going to be a shambles.

It's nailed on.

Bogey team/nemesis/national disgrace spotted!

You just know it's going to happen. Liechtenstein all over again. Christ, I remember the disbelief at drawing 2-2 in Cyprus with minutes to go. How the (comparatively speaking) mighty have fallen. Oh, and then there's that point gained in the Faroes..........

article-2188478-148C142A000005DC-900_468x387.jpg

00002649-642.jpg

1000x665521.jpg

We don't have a complete diddy in charge anymore. That alone gives me more confidence than I could ever have under Levein/Vogts.

Vogts looks like a Scotland managerial genius compared to Levein. We actually took something from decent sides under Bertie. Yes, we crapped the bed v's Faroes and Moldova, but we've had those moments under every manager since and been drubbed by anything remotely resembling a decent outfit, flukey France results aside.

Vogts looks like a Scotland managerial genius compared to Levein. We actually took something from decent sides under Bertie. Yes, we crapped the bed v's Faroes and Moldova, but we've had those moments under every manager since and been drubbed by anything remotely resembling a decent outfit, flukey France results aside.

Alex McLeish never did badly for us - granted he only managed us for 10 games. Think we lost three games in those ten though, two of which were against Italy (World Champions at the time, and one of the defeats was that snidey freekick that was never a freekick). The other loss was Georgia (heh)... We even led the group under McLeish at one point, when aiming to qualify for Euro 08 :cool:

We got an absolute hiding in Ukraine (Robbie Neilson) and ended up clinging on for dear life in Lithuania, I'm sure both of those were McLeish too.

Had to google but the Ukraine loss (2-0) was a few months prior to McLeish's appointment (loss was in Oct 06, McLeish appointed Jan 07). Under McLeish we beat Ukraine 3-1 in Glasgow. The Lithuania game was even earlier (Sept 06).

Besides the loss to Georgia, McLeish's reign was pretty good. I mean, we only beat the Faroe Islands 0-2 and we required a last minute goal to sink Lithuania in Glasgow, but we got results under him. Including the famous win in Paris :cool:

Crickey, was it that long ago?

Mind plays tricks the older you get. Time seems compressed when you're looking backwards, yet 'this time next year' seems to come around in two minutes flat.

Ah England. The only thing better than watching Scotland at a tournament is watching England completely screw one up. Overrated, over paid players who are really not up to scratch, brilliant :D

I hope they sack Hodgson, because it will set them back even further.

Is it only me that finds the whole notion of a bunch of Scottish people who support teams from the nation they hate weird?

I mean, fair play for your outstandingly brilliant bitterness but it's all a little weird.

I can totally see this happening, Italy beating costa rica tomorrow, and then playing out the dullest 90 minutes of football ever played against Uruguay for a draw, while England beat costa rica 15-0 so english media can blame the dirty italians and south americans.

and i would love to see this happen!

Is it only me that finds the whole notion of a bunch of Scottish people who support teams from the nation they hate weird?

I mean, fair play for your outstandingly brilliant bitterness but it's all a little weird.

Why? Very few of the good teams in England actually have English players playing for them anyway.

Is it weird for an English person to like a German team?

If that was "support" instead of "like" then yeah I'd find that weird assuming there was no connection like living there for a bit. A Scot supporting an English side isn't though. There have been tons of good Scottish players playing in England through the years so it's pretty much a 2nd league.

Why? Very few of the good teams in England actually have English players playing for them anyway.

If they define their whole existence on hating Germans, then yes. It is a little weird.

Haha yes, Scottish people define their existence on hating England, i always forget thats part of the test to proving your really Scottish. :D

We dont define ourselves by hating you, its just so much fun watching you crash and burn, and then get upset at those bad Scottish people for not supporting you.

Haha yes, Scottish people define their existence on hating England, i always forget thats part of the test to proving your really Scottish. :D

We dont define ourselves by hating you, its just so much fun watching you crash and burn, and then get upset at those bad Scottish people for not supporting you.

nobody cares if the scottish Don't support the english, but they are mostly perplexed by the ABE attitude as it's quite frankly a bit odd.

I guess i'll never understand, but it's a really weird complex you guys have, that's all i can really say.

nobody cares if the scottish Don't support the english' date=' but they are mostly perplexed by the ABE attitude as it's quite frankly a bit odd.

I guess i'll never understand, but it's a really weird complex you guys have, that's all i can really say.[/quote']

This. I don't see anyone who's upset, more baffled. It makes no sense.

I genuinely just enjoy a tournament when England aren't involved in it, I'm a football fan first and when the media's little sideshow is over, you can actually enjoy the football on show which at this World Cup has probably been as good as the 94-98 ones which I consider the best from the last 20 years or so

England's team for all the talent it's had in the last 20-25 years has crashed and burned too many times, only one Semi Final in that time as well

Nobody cares, yet here you are in the ABE thread going on about how its weird we dont support you. :brock:

it's a thread on a football forum about England, of course i'm interested on what is said. I have read the last two pages and my only conclusion is that the thread is weird. what's wrong with that?

I probably shouldn't have responded to the tired ABE cliche's but oh well. what is football if not an environment littered with cliches and preconceptions. all a laugh at the end of the day eh

Nobody cares, yet here you are in the ABE thread going on about how its weird we dont support you. :brock:

So because it doesn't bother me, that means I can't have an opinion on it?

For the record, I don't like the England team either, I just don't get all rabid about it.

I genuinely just enjoy a tournament when England aren't involved in it, I'm a football fan first and when the media's little sideshow is over, you can actually enjoy the football on show which at this World Cup has probably been as good as the 94-98 ones which I consider the best from the last 20 years or so

England's team for all the talent it's had in the last 20-25 years has crashed and burned too many times, only one Semi Final in that time as well

The football has been brilliant this time around, and after the end of the groups it will be good to hear some feedback on the games that are actually being played, rather than the unlimited build up to the next England defeat and the three day analysis of what went wrong again.

Who's getting rabid about it? Us laughing at you guys, or you lot still biting back to prove how little you care?

who is biting and who is trying to prove anything?

like i said it's all just really weird and an attitude i don't understand.

just a laugh i get it, but i mean... odd.

who is biting and who is trying to prove anything?

like i said it's all just really weird and an attitude i don't understand.

just a laugh i get it' date=' but i mean... odd.[/quote']

Strange people being strange people I guess.

Yup, no one understands rivalry in football, its only exists between Scotland and England, and then, it only goes one way. Every other team and nation hold hands and love each other. I can understand why you wouldnt get it.

Anyway, lets get back to the football.

England :D

We enjoy Scotland and Wales being tragic and never qualifying and they enjoy us being tragic at the actual tournaments, thats fair enough. Have to say though i'd prefer this way around.

Speak for yourself but generally i've been pretty supportive of All of the home nations side + Ireland

Archived