The Anybody But England Thread.

Holland have peaked too early. I'm glad they smashed the Spanish like that because I'm confident they'll run out of steam early. The ABE brigade must be in squeaky bum mode with this Uruguay performance.

• Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Holland have peaked too early. I'm glad they smashed the Spanish like that because I'm confident they'll run out of steam early. The ABE brigade must be in squeaky bum mode with this Uruguay performance.

nah, they're just burning their uruguay flags/posters/shirts and nipped down to lidl to see what Costa Rica stuff is on offer

Not at all, actually loving it.

Depending how the game goes later this could be a very tricky little group.

nah, they're just burning their uruguay flags/posters/shirts and nipped down to lidl to see what Costa Rica stuff is on offer

Yeah you don't know us Scots at all.....

Burning clothes and spending money on Costa Rica stuff? you do know they sell beer at the Lidl yeah?!

:D

Yeah you don't know us Scots at all.....

Burning clothes and spending money on Costa Rica stuff? you do know they sell beer at the Lidl yeah?!

:D

****, you're right, i apologise for impuning your nations miserliness and love of alcohol

^ I knew the fake Italian would turn up.

Surprised this thread is so quiet after a loss. I believe the ABE brigade realise that we actually were pretty decent and probably deserved a draw. We are like 80% there with these forwards, but we need Rooney to step it up. Pretty positive after that game tbh, Italy will just get results regardless won't they, top tournament team. I will say this though, the biggest mistake we've made is not taking Cole. Baines is a completely different player for England than he is for Everton, he isn't half as good as Cole and in this weather isn't going to get forward enough either.

Surprised this thread is so quiet after a loss. I believe the ABE brigade realise that we actually were pretty decent and probably deserved a draw. We are like 80% there with these forwards, but we need Rooney to step it up. Pretty positive after that game tbh, Italy will just get results regardless won't they, top tournament team. I will say this though, the biggest mistake we've made is not taking Cole. Baines is a completely different player for England than he is for Everton, he isn't half as good as Cole and in this weather isn't going to get forward enough either.

Did you just make a non-troll post? In here of all places? :eek:

I'm making an observation really, I came on just now and expected this to be like 7 or 8 pages, instead there's been about 5 posts. Think the ABE losers realise they need to wait until we actually get knocked out because we aren't that bad in actuality and it could blow up in their face.

wrong thread champ

Surprisingly quiet though today. I think it's good we can have some banter but man, I find it sad as **** when some middle aged man called Dafydd from Aberystwyth thinks his name is Giuseppe or something and prances about like some top Italian. Grow up.

I was having my cake and eating it last night. The pub cheered all three goals, but the England one loudest of all, and I was cheering with them. Was a really enjoyable game, and I'm disappointed England lost, though I did engage in a bit of friendly banter with the English folks in the pub, who were in good spirits.

Surprisingly quiet though today. I think it's good we can have some banter but man, I find it sad as **** when some middle aged man called Dafydd from Aberystwyth thinks his name is Giuseppe or something and prances about like some top Italian. Grow up.

You just have to take it from such glorious footballing nations tbh.

The JMR cringe meter starting to rise at a good rate :cool:

Coming in here giving it the big one as there wasn't many posts about how boringly average England were. The majority were probably asleep.

I thought England were fantastic last night fwiw. I'm surprised the Italians got a touch of the ball never mind scoring two and cruising to a victory with a 36 year old taking the **** in the middle of the pitch

All this waffle about Shaw being £30m etc, yet the English call for Ashley Cole back in the squad after the first game :D

Darmian must be more than£30m considering the way he dealt with the 'Lions'

Oh and as for Jacky Wilshere. A horrible embarassing basic pas out of play, and tried to take on 3 italians with the worst skills ever. How on earth is he near the England squad???

Poor Italy, they control the game, they hit the bar, they hit the post, they have a shot cleared off the line, ohh and they score 2 goals but still did not deserve to win, poor Italy.

Poor Italy, they control the game, they hit the bar, they hit the post, they have a shot cleared off the line, ohh and they score 2 goals but still did not deserve to win, poor Italy.
They won the singing, too.

Think this is the first year I've not been really bothered about England. Normally I'm as ABE as the next guy but I think they have a fairly likeable, inoffensive team this year. Still want them to crash out at the group stage though, preferably without scoring a goal, purely for the comedy factor.

It's never been about the actual players or staff, it's the media and pundits that I strongly dislike. When they're not banging their gums about '66, they're harping on about them during commentary regardless of who's actually on the field of play and when they're not doing that, they've deluded themselves into thinking the quality of the Premiership is somehow a reflection on how good their national team is or should be. It's not, the league is bloated with foreigners and it's in no small part down to those foreigners that the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City etc are as good as they are.

I thought England played alright last night to be honest, they were just lacking somebody to unlock that Italian defence

all they really kept doing was hoping that Sterling's pace would get them the chances but there wasn't really a plan B when that route was blocked. Uruguay will be interesting, Sterling will probably have a bit more success there but I still reckon that English defence is good for conceeding another few goals in this tournament, Cavani (and potentially Suarez) will still be dangerous

It's never been about the actual players or staff, it's the media and pundits that I strongly dislike. When they're not banging their gums about '66, they're harping on about them during commentary regardless of who's actually on the field of play and when they're not doing that, they've deluded themselves into thinking the quality of the Premiership is somehow a reflection on how good their national team is or should be. It's not, the league is bloated with foreigners and it's in no small part down to those foreigners that the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City etc are as good as they are.

Realistically, how far can England go in this tournament?

SKY SPORTS

Kamy - get through the group stage

Le Tiss - QF

Charlie Nicholas - Semi Final

Merson - QF

Jeff - QF

Thommo - QF

ITV

Matterface - out in group

Carlise - out in group

Michael Cox (zonal marking) - QF

BBC

Lineker - out group stage

Waddle - group stage

Shearer - QF

Rio Ferdinand - QF

Savage - group stage

Danny Mills - 2nd round

Danny Murphy - QF

Nevin - QF

So the Scot is the one that thinks we'll go the furthest? I think you're living in the past, I've never seen the public and media more sceptical or realistic of an England side.

This.

Although I do like that people have elicited serious responses from jmr. :D

While that may be true, jmr still missed the point that Eleanor_Rigby was making.

Nowhere in the post did it say that they felt the media was bumming up England's chances, in truth I think jmr forgot to read Eleanor_Rigbys post before replying to it. :D

While that may be true, jmr still missed the point that Eleanor_Rigby was making.

Nowhere in the post did it say that they felt the media was bumming up England's chances, in truth I think jmr forgot to read Eleanor_Rigbys post before replying to it. :D

I only replied to part of it where he's talking about quality and how we seem to think having the best league in the world means having the best national team. We clearly don't think we have the best national team. If he's also complaining about ITV and BBC talking about England then what does he expect? Every single TV station of the countries playing will be focusing their coverage on their country, especially for the first game.

I only replied to part of it where he's talking about quality and how we seem to think having the best league in the world means having the best national team. We clearly don't think we have the best national team. If he's also complaining about ITV and BBC talking about England then what does he expect? Every single TV station of the countries playing will be focusing their coverage on their country, especially for the first game.

The huge difference being, almost every other nation doesn't get another nation's hopes and aspirations shoved down their throats. It's almost as bad as the Portuguese having to listen to the Spanish bleating on about the Spanish national team on Portuguese TV. Doesn't happen.

they've deluded themselves into thinking the quality of the Premiership is somehow a reflection on how good their national team is or should be.

Yeah, absolutely nothing to do with what you posted :D It's pretty obvious what you were trying to get at.

The huge difference being, almost every other nation doesn't get another nation's hopes and aspirations shoved down their throats. It's almost as bad as the Portuguese having to listen to the Spanish bleating on about the Spanish national team on Portuguese TV. Doesn't happen.

That's not our fault is it? Portugal and Spain don't share national TV like we do so it's a terrible comparison. I'm surprised it would still annoy you tbh, you must be used to it by now with Scotland not qualifying. The Welsh will just have to deal with it because they're never qualifying.

Yeah, absolutely nothing to do with what you posted :D It's pretty obvious what you were trying to get at.

Ok I'll bite. I never once stated anything about how far England would go. The English media somehow think England should be competing with the likes of Brazil, Argentina, Italy, Spain, Germany etc when in my lifetime, England have rarely ever beaten those teams in competitive matches. Lets be honest, those are the teams the media and pundits think your national team should be on equal footing with. England are on par with the best of the rest. The arrogance that's been spouted on here over the years suggests there's lots of fans that think the same.

Archived