*Football Manager 13 Pre-Order Beta Official Feedback Thread* - Keep it all in here please

Okay Riz, but if I want to reduce training intensity for just ONE player, is-it possible ???? cause each player have different natural fitness, match excercise and condition..So to have all my team 100% fit for the next match, I need to adjust each player training intensities and no to lower intensity for the whole team..... You surely know that condition is the key of FM...With bad condition, bad performance in match and bad training also....so we need to adjust condition for each player

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sadly bitten the bullet and gone back to FM12 and I've gained a huge appreciation for how excellent that match engine is in comparison to the new one. Obviously the new one looks prettier and has better animations and ball trajectory, but the 2012 one just plays so much better and it's so much more enjoyable to watch. First time I've ever found myself going back to an old FM, feels weird to do so especially seeing what FM13 will/should be capable of once the shitfest match engine is sorted out, but I'd rather enjoy playing FM, than persist with the new one which is quite frankly broken. Just hope the changes can be made as soon as possible in order to make the game playable again. The last time I posted, I didn't find the match engine as a gamebreaker, but as i've progressed through the season it's become unbearable.

I have been playing 2/3 of a season in Norway's 2nd tier.

My main complaints so far are

- that on the manager stat screen, only cup games seem to count as matches played. Weird. So despite the 20 odd league matches played, I have managed 5 matches according to my stats.

- the pitch seems huge when you use zoomed vertical scrolling, and like several others have said, defending is rather poor. Seems to get a bit better as the season progresses, but no matter what pressing/tackling instructions I set, whether zonal or man-marking, my players seem to be afraid to catch a cold or something from their opponents.

- wide players always cut inside.

Okay Riz, but if I want to reduce training intensity for just ONE player, is-it possible ???? cause each player have different natural fitness, match excercise and condition..So to have all my team 100% fit for the next match, I need to adjust each player training intensities and no to lower intensity for the whole team..... You surely know that condition is the key of FM...With bad condition, bad performance in match and bad training also....so we need to adjust condition for each player

Yep, it s a big stuff, which recovery process affect the medium line of a group of players.

Did we need to scout a band of Natural fitness high level upside 15 attribut value, to expecting get the whole team ready at times ?

That's the sens of the question. which no answers to add an another subtilit :, the match jadness different for each player in terms of differents match activities even in a similar game line.

Do you know Riz, it's a good idea to project an automatic calibration to clash with the old workshop system. Howether, condition is the "spirit of the game" since its beguinning.

All factors depend of this minimum state of performance : restor the condition.

Theres no interest to talk about nothing, motivation, team talk, tactics, centers or everything, but ...The Condition ! ( Before anything else )

The only one fundamental question is : how could we proceed to recorvery the condition beetween 2 matchs, for "each player" ?

Because each one have a specific deal with natural fitness. That a group of players have not.

About idea suggestion : the calendar have sens and interest, not about specific training issue in the futur, but certainly about a rotation of players needeed. ( because the fitness limitation, and the match exercice maintain. )

Thanks for your attention.

Percentage of converted chances in favour of AI TOO HIGH : Impossible to win a single match ! Mostly they have barely shots but converts all of them. This game will be called : how to be sacked the quickest possible

With regard to the graphics, I'm hoping that the final version match engine graphics and beginning stadium shots will be much improved as seen in some of the previous footage given during the video blogs? I guess I'm used to the whole demo theme; that THIS is pretty much the game minus any major technical fixes which will be added later. I've never done a beta before so I'm hoping that means that, for a least the ME graphics, the improvements are still to come. The rest of the game seems to flow nicely though.

- The game is incredibly slow! I'm currently running Scotland only, large database - and it's still only half of 1 star game speed. Even between games is annoying... it takes about an hour to play through 1 week! :(

Was the game fast at first and slowed down during the first season? Are you running any leagues as view-only?

On FM12 when selected 'director camera' we could see footage from behind the players when they were about to take a free kick.. is this gona in FM13 ? i have director camera on and the only thing i see is footage from high point ?

I think it's still definitely there.

I've seen the zoomed in angle from behind the player taking a freekick, while playing with the director camera on the FM13 beta.

I think it's still definitely there.

I've seen the zoomed in angle from behind the player taking a freekick, while playing with the director camera on the FM13 beta.

Ok thank u , then i wait and see(only played ten games so far, it wasn't regular on fm12 so it won't be on this one)

• SI Staff
RE Manage Subscriptions:

Am I correct in thinking that deals concerning my club will still show as news items by default even if I untick the option? eg "Transfer Confirmed" unticked - I will still get these showing if my club is in the deal, either in or out?

Yes, those are personal news item which you always receive - it only deals with news item that come from subscriptions.

Not sure if this has already been posted but playing this FM just doesnt seem like a normal FM, the interface seems to complicated, and im not liking the little things like the massive banner at the top when I press continue!

Also when watching a game on 2D classic I dont like how it loads to wait for another highlight, I want my big overview screen back whilst waiting!

Just small things like that bugging me and making me think SI maywell be starting to get carried away with adding to much without keeping it simple at the same time?

What are your thought on the interface and other small things etc?

No page 21 for me either.

A few observations from my albeit limited play so far.

1. I have not personally seen many goals scored from crosses - i have seen one frm a corner in 3 games so far.

2. No high scoring games I have had two 1-1 draws and a 1-0 defeat.

3. I agree that goalkeepers seem like they might as well be playing with no hands/arms.

4. Too many shots from tight angles - none of which have yet gone in might I add.

Other than that I have not noticed any of the other problems that others are having

Apart from I have had 2 crash dumos but when I try to upload them theree is no crash dump folder!

I am enjoying scouting, training (never really taken an interest before) and DOF seems to be doing some good and bad things. All in all if the goalkeeper/tight angles issue is sorted I think this will be a fantastic game

OK, I've taken a slightly different approach to most people I'd imagine - the most crucial aspect of this game for me is the longer term aspects as I love playing career games, and often with some of the more unfamiliar leagues. So far therefore all I've done is stick the game on holiday mode and analyse what happens over the long term - I haven't yet played a single actual game!!!

There are 4 crucial aspects of the game therefore where I'm looking for improvements:

* AI Squad Building - do the major teams in each league deteriorate over time. In previous incarnations of the game the top teams would get weaker within 5 or 6 seasons and wouldn't replace aging stars

* Variety of league and competition winners - in 30 years time in real life there will be some variation of the teams at the top of leagues around the world. So I'm looking for somebody other than the obvious teams to start lifting some trophies

* Financial stability - in previous games within 7 or 8 years you'd be approached by teams offerring you transfer budgets of £200m+ because their bank balances have rocketed

* Ability to pay big money to sign aging stars into leagues with lower reputations i.e. Drogba and Anelka to China, Eto'o to Russia and Beckham to the US

So far I've holidayed to 2030 and thought I'd share my initial views:

AI Squad Building

* Most of the major teams do have a squad with a better age balance than in previous games, there are plenty of 20 - 23 year olds who are getting game time, although still not as much as the older players in the 30-33 year old bracket

* I've analysed all of the leading transfers to check that none of them have been stupid deals for players who are already in their mid 30's - and most of them are fine with players currently in mid to late 20's as you would expect

* I've also analysed a couple of the major English clubs transfers going back for the last 10 years and whilst there are some who were bought in for large sums and then barely played (mistakes happen in real life after all - Bebe anybody!) these are fewer than I've seen in previous versions and those players who don't get games do get moved on within a few seasons and normally for transfer fee's that are circa 60-75% of the fee originally payed.

* The overall number of transfers into the big clubs is much lower - 3 or 4 players per season max. Again I think this is more in line with reality?

Conclusion - looks much better than previous versions, but not perfect

Variety of competition winners* This is disappointing - very little variation at the top in the first 17 years. Nobody outside Man Utd / City / Arsenal / Chelsea / Tottenham has finished in the Top 3 in the Premier League (desptie Stoke getting a sugar daddy and spending hundreds of millions)

* Juventus have won all but 2 of the Serie A

* R Madrid and Barcelona have won all but 2 of the Liga BBVA (the other 2 went to Valencia)

* Worryingly English clubs have won 12 of the 17 Champions league trophies

Conclusion - Not looking good, very similar if not worse than previous versions - however it's still early days

Financial Stability

* This looks a lot better, with most teams still with sensible bank balances and transfer budgets. In fact Man Utd have a negative balance of £46m in 2030 and are on a downwards trajectory. Man City are only being kept in the black thanks to constant injections of funds by the chairman

* Even abroad, most teams seem to be on a pretty even keel with no stupid balances - Real Madrid have a bank balance of £86m in 2030

* The one exception to this is Barcelona, who have been on a constant upward trend. In 2030 they have a bank balance of a whopping £630m. This is so out of kilter with the other clubs that I can only guess that this is a bug with the set up for Barcelona??????

Conclusion - looking much, much better. Hope the Barcelona issue is a bug which can be easily fixed?

Stars moving abroad

* At the start of the save I set up a manager for Los Angeles Galaxy, Anji (Russia) and Guanghzou (China). There were plenty of unemployed stars willing to talk to LA Galaxy, this felt right. Only a small number would talk to Anji (but I was able to do a big money deal with Thomas Hitzelsperger) but nobody would even open up discussions with Guanghzou

* Over the last 17 years there have been a good handful of players who've moved to the US to a variety of clubs to end their careers their - this feels like just the right number. For example Javier Pastore went to New York, Falcao went to Seattle, Karim Benzema went to San Jose

* No players that I would consider to be in the same class as Drogba, Eto'o or Anelka have moved to Chinese or Russian clubs

Conclusion - An improvement on the stars moving to the US, but no sign of any stars willing to open discussions with Russian or Chinese sides. Can SI look at doing whatever they've done to the US teams to the Russians and Chinese please?

I'm going to holiday a bit further and understand whether any of these trends change further into the game, but so far I'd give a score of 6.5/10 for the improvements that I personally had been looking for in the game - it's definitely better than FM12 but isn't quite as good as I'd hoped it might be.

EDIT: One final point - the International manager bug from previous versions appears to have been resolved - no more 'nobodies' being appointed as England manager, at least not yet in my game

That was a really good read, thanks for sharing. One thing missing was a review on newgens, how do they shape up in your save?

Thanks - I've now taken the save to 2064, so I'll try to answer your question, provide an update on some of my points from 2030 and answer some of the other questions that people had raised:

Finances - Finances still look really well balance, kudos to SI for getting this right in the main. However both Barcelona and Real Madrid look crazy. Barcelona have a bank balance of £1.2 Billion and Real Madrid have £500m+. I've raised this as a bug as despite both clubs being profitable at the minute it is inconceivable that they'll both have bank balances at this level within 50 years

Competition winners - More variety over the 50 year period. Sevilla and Valencia have both lifted the Spanish league whilst Madrid and Barcelona continue to dominate. There is much more competition in the Italian league with Chievo and Napoli regularly challenging Juventus. In the Premier league outside the top 4 (Man Utd, man City, Chelsea and Tottenham!!) only Cardiff have lifted the Premier League - and Cardiff won it just the once. I know some people have replied that no other club is likely to lift the title in real lifer, but remember that until last season Man City had never lifted the Premier League - are we really saying that no other club who we wouldn't currently expect to challenge will get mega investment in the next 50 years and become as dominant as Man Utd???? Similarly is it not feasible in our wildest dreams that Man Utd might go wayward after Sir Alex leaves and be fighting a relegation battle in 50 years - it might be unlikely, but I would expect more variation over a game of this length. The English clubs, whilst still most successful are no longer the most dominant in Europe - they have 31 Champions League titles out of a total of 51, but only 5 in the last 14 years. Napoli have to be hurting though with 6 runners up medals in 9 years!!!!

Regen Quality - I'm probably not an expert in this area, so would be happy to post some screenies for your expert analysis - but from what I can see the regen's look well balanced. Very few signs as far as I can see of players who are massively un-balanced. Of the 107 under 20 players who are valued at £2.5m+ in 2064, there are 17 English players, 8 Spaniards, 27 French, 7 Germans, 15 Italians, 3 Argentines and 2 Brazilians - plus lots of other players from more unlikely countries - Iceland, Costa Rica and Togo are all in there

Other highlights - good to see that there is more variety in the host countries for World Cups; in previous versions this just circulated around a set list of 6 or 7 host countries - it now varies considerably with hosts as diverse as Morocco, Canada and Nigeria. The Euro Championship also has more variation. In terms of winners for these competitions England have one the World Cup once with the other winners just believable but varied (S Korea lifted the latest competition). Euro Championships are clearly bugged though - Scotland won the competition in 2044!!!!! England have also lifted the title 3 times

Other highlights 2 - Good to see inflation taking effect in transfer prices. in FM12 the Leading transfers table always peaked at about £45m. In FM13 it starts off being limited at about £45m (certainly by 2030 the highest transfer was £46m) but by 2064 the whole leading transfer table is above £50m with the top transfer at £53m

Something that might need looking at in FMC that I noticed this evening. When you have selected a sub or back up player as 'available for reserves' and select 45/60/90 mins - once they are up to full match fitness there is no easy was to deselect the 'available for reserves' selection. It seems you have to select them for the full reserve squad and then select for the first team squad to remove their availablity for reserves. Too many clicks.

I find FM Classic mode great, but UTTERLY USELESS - for me, at least...

WHY-OH-WHY can't I customize my database??

I love the fact that you can play quicker games, I never understood why someone would need 3D in FM ..BUT I WANT TO BE ABLE TO BUY LITTLE KNOWN PLAYERS...from all over the world

AND btw...another(less annoying) thing: I have a Samsung series 5 ultrabook that's pretty fast. THE SAVE OF A FM GAME TAKES FOREVER!!! Is it a bug?

Something that might need looking at in FMC that I noticed this evening. When you have selected a sub or back up player as 'available for reserves' and select 45/60/90 mins - once they are up to full match fitness there is no easy was to deselect the 'available for reserves' selection. It seems you have to select them for the full reserve squad and then select for the first team squad to remove their availablity for reserves. Too many clicks.
You need to select the current option again to deselect it - so if they're set to available for reserves 45, choose this option again and it will deselect it.

Percentage of converted chances in favour of AI TOO HIGH : Impossible to win a single match ! Mostly they have barely shots but converts all of them. This game will be called : how to be sacked the quickest possible

This is not how the match engine works.

The match engine does not see human team vs AI team. All it sees are the instructions fed into it by two managers, both of which use the same tools.

If I was able to cancel or get a refund right now, I would.

I have never enjoyed a demo of this franchise less. Ever...

(Yes, I know, its a beta, not a demo. Potato, potato.)

Such bad defending from my team, such inept statue-like players, such odd movement and such incredibly accurate opposing strikers.

I know, its my tactics...

I do love the match feed, that updates you with other scores in your League, and if you change position in the League table etc.

I always liked being able to see other scores whilst watching the match.

On the older FM's up untill 06 or 07, it always had other scores scrolling across the bottom of the match screen, even while watching the 2D pitch.

Slight issue though, during my captial one cup game, I was not being updated with other cup scores? The match feed was only updating me with stuff happening in my game..

Playing in the 3rd round of the cup now, & again I'm not getting any score updates from the other cup games in the match feed?

Checked all the settings and everything seems ok (it works fine for League games)

If I was able to cancel or get a refund right now, I would.

I have never enjoyed a demo of this franchise less. Ever...

(Yes, I know, its a beta, not a demo. Potato, potato.)

Such bad defending from my team, such inept statue-like players, such odd movement and such incredibly accurate opposing strikers.

I know, its my tactics...

my defending looks ok , and the opposing strikers are not doing that much .. potato potato :)

i'll wait for the full game to judge it

my defending looks ok , and the opposing strikers are not doing that much .. potato potato :)

i'll wait for the full game to judge it

like i say, i'm sure its me, but so far i've managed 3 different teams, used 3 different tactics, and suffered horrendous defeats in all of them.

as blackburn, for example, i won a match 4-0 at home, then lost the next game, also at home, 7-0. in the first it seemed i could do no wrong, but in the second it was shocking...

Hi,

I am sticking with it in the hope I can tweak something to improve things, but to no avail. Yes, it is a beta, but I am gutted. Still think, fundamentally, it should be better than this, even as a beta.

I listen to the comments regarding a transition with the ME and it is something we will adapt to, but this is crazy.

One other thing. I am a fan, believe it or not, but I also am qualified to judge, give an opinion on, what I am experiencing. And that is that I am not enjoying it for the first time EVER. Forgetting all the 'let's stick together' and this negative talk is damaging/not constructive etc but I have paid 20 odd pounds (as I love the game) again and right now, two weeks away and counting, it has regressed somewhat. Strip away the DoF (the full extent of its effectiveness is still to be decided considering how poor the AI is with decisions), the new training and the new interface; the teamtalks are still not that great to use, the press conferences using the same repetitive questions - this is shambolic, the Respond to Manager's comment somewhat tiresome with its lack of depth.

Hope things change with the ME of course. This game has been played for weeks/months by testers? Why have the blatant, glaring issues got this far? 6-5 results, losing 0-5 at home despite 62-38% possession and dominating passes, tackles, headers, chances etc, countless disallowed goals etc etc.

Overall, regardless of the ME problems, I was actually expecting much, much more from FM 2013.

Hi,

I am sticking with it in the hope I can tweak something to improve things, but to no avail. Yes, it is a beta, but I am gutted. Still think, fundamentally, it should be better than this, even as a beta.

I listen to the comments regarding a transition with the ME and it is something we will adapt to, but this is crazy.

One other thing. I am a fan, believe it or not, but I also am qualified to judge, give opinion on what I am experiencing. And that is that I am not enjoying it for the first time EVER. Forgettting all the 'let's stick together' and this negative talk is damaging/not constructive etc but I have paid 20 odd pounds (again as I love the game) again and right now, two weeks away and counting, it has regressed somewhat. Strip away the DoF (the full extent of its effectiveness is still to be decided considering how poor the AI is with decisions), the new training and the new interface; the teamtalks are still not that great to use, the press conferences using the same repetitive questions - this is shambolic, the Respond to Manager's comment somewhat tiresome with its lack of depth.

Hope things change with the ME of course. This game has been played for weeks/months by testers? Why have the blatant, glaring issues got this far? 6-5 results, losing 0-5 at home despite 62-38% possession and dominating passes, tackles, headers, chances etc, countless disallowed goals etc etc.

Overall, regardless of the ME problems, I was actually expecting much, much more from FM 2013.

Spot on, excactly my point to.

I feel so left out.

I'm witnessing barely any goals from crosses, my team has conceded just once after five games, and the new skin doesn't hurt my eyes. Where am I going wrong?

You're not alone!

**SI GUYS** - Could you please, please, please respond to my thread about the broken/limited responses to manager comments that's under 'Bug Forum' 'Conversations'?

Even if you can't tell me specifics due to NDA, or ongoing development, I would really appreciate an acknowledgement that I at least have a point and you've seen my post.

I know you've got 1001 things to do, and I'm no more special than anyone else asking questions, but it's driving me INSANE!!!

;)

Cheers,

D

Okay. I have played half a season now with Dagenham and Redbridge. I am 20th in the table (predicted 21st) so that side is pretty realistic. I think that without doubt there do seem to be too many goals from crosses. However, in previous versions of the series crossing seemed largely ineffectual (for me anyway) so although I am not happy it is a step in the right direction. However, perhaps too large a step at the moment. One thing I have found is that by setting opposition instructions every game and also watching the highlights on comprehensive you do see far more tackles etc. Maybe I am swimming against the tide here but I really do think that with a few changes this ME has the potential to far exceed anything SI have done before. I also absolutely love the new manage subscription add on. I know this was added a couple of years ago but I always found that you either had too much information in your inbox or too little. As a lower league manager this was always a problem for me as I wanted to feel immersed in what was going on in the wider world of football. I always found 'screen flow' never really did the job. As it stands now this part of the game (manage subscriptions) works perfectly. If they can just 'fix' the ME (please do not go too far the other way and makes crossing pointless) then this is the best version yet..........

Same for me strangely enough.

Not noticing anything overly weird in terms of crosses. If anything, I find my team tends to have an easy time against the AI rather than shipping goals my end because of it.

The skin is OK - options would be nice of course but personally I can play for extended periods with the default full game skin.

Beginning to get used to where things are in the UI after a few months of game time and all seems well. There are some issues of course - but nothing game breaking for me.

I wonder if those reporting the match engine bug are playing with high end teams? I've only tried the A-League, Hong Kong and Norwich in the EPL and not observed any probs although I've played most games in Hong Kong.

Those are all pretty low level teams with distinctly average players. Maybe the problem relates to the Chelsea & Man Utds of the game and the players at that level,

I feel so left out.

I'm witnessing barely any goals from crosses, my team has conceded just once after five games, and the new skin doesn't hurt my eyes. Where am I going wrong?

I am also not conceding a lot of crosses and enjoying the game a lot more than FM12, but hopefully people in the same boat don't try and use it as a tool to disregard those who are experiencing problems (as happens a lot on these forums).

I am still seeing far too many goals however, non-responsive defenders and the ease with which I score is embarrassing at times.

Same for me strangely enough.

Maybe the problem relates to the Chelsea & Man Utds of the game and the players at that level,

Afraid not, I am managing Grimsby Town in the Blue Square Bet Premier and I am experiencing ALL the above mentioned problems, and others too!

I am also not conceding a lot of crosses and enjoying the game a lot more than FM12, but hopefully people in the same boat don't try and use it as a tool to disregard those who are experiencing problems (as happens a lot on these forums).

I am still seeing far too many goals however, non-responsive defenders and the ease with which I score is embarrassing at times.

Not seeing the conceding issues with crosses, although i am seeing crosses being used far more than normal, maybe my side is currently able to deal with it, but very much something to be looked at, but definitely seeing the unresponsive defenders, particularly my full backs, usually my best tacklers in previous iterations.

I feel so left out.

You're not alone!

I'm not, but do see them. Most of the goals I'm conceding seem pretty normal, but if you read here and then one happens you'll remember it I guess as a bug. Next time it happens and the next it's a buggy bug.

What I am seeing is that when crosses do come in (and maybe this is half the problem) that goalkeepers and defenders don't react 'naturally'. Whether that be the full back leaving space or too much space in the six yard box or the keeper looking blocky/numptyish in reaction. I can understand that some of the defending is not natural to the eye.

I'll never expect FIFA match engine or Sky Sports and Gary Neville gobbing off in the background, so maybe it doesn't bother me. Is the result or how we got there the problem? Because however I get there the results aren't out of kilt to realism (currently 20th in League 1 with Yeovil :D ).

And I only watch minimum highlights, so don't see maybe the crosses are dealt with badly constantly; i.e. most of the highlights I do see end in a goal or very close shave.

Archived