*Football Manager 13 Pre-Order Beta Official Feedback Thread* - Keep it all in here please

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For those struggling with difficulty levels in the beta btw: have you tried analysing matches using the Analysis tool?

I'm having a great run of form, as I've said before - but I did actually find it tricky early on. I studied quite a few matches in the Analysis tools, and tweaked my tactics as a result of what I found so that I wasn't giving away possession so much, keeping the right shape/width etc and getting chances from the right areas. It's worked for me - no goals conceded in eight games now, top of the league by 13 points.

Hmm, I want to use the analysis tool, but I don't want it to just give me the answers so that I just don't concede goals! If it was that easy then the game would be boring, and unrealistic as real managers can't win every game just by doing that. It would be so boring....

Or are you rangers?

Only Sturridge for 1st team

And the other player was rotation

But still after 6 games u are unhappy and want to leave

Come on now that is just stupid

That's a bit strange, specially the "rotation" guy. Maybe the expectation for loan players must be tone down a little bit.

Hmm, I want to use the analysis tool, but I don't want it to just give me the answers so that I just don't concede goals! If it was that easy then the game would be boring, and unrealistic as real managers can't win every game just by doing that. It would be so boring....

Or are you rangers?

I'm not sure it will all of a sudden make you start winning every game, what i think SB means is it will give you a platform to see were your going wrong then let you try tweak things you think might need tweaking which could work or get worse for you :)

I'm not sure it will all of a sudden make you start winning every game, what i think SB means is it will give you a platform to see were your going wrong then let you try tweak things you think might need tweaking which could work or get worse for you :)

Yeh that is what I would expect, and which is why I look forward to using it as it is a helpful feature. I just don't want it to work as well for me as for him! (albeit only over an 8 game test period)

That's a bit strange, specially the "rotation" guy. Maybe the expectation for loan players must be tone down a little bit.

If I'm a young player moving to a new country away from my family and out of sight of my employer - who I need to impress to get pay rise/more chances, I would expect to play more than a couple of games a month. Especially if the player has high ambition/low adaptability, and can't speak the language, I would think it was entirely reasonable.

That said, a conversation asking whether they can play more before simply demanding a termination wouldn't go amiss.

The response is that we hope people raise the issues they're unhappy with on our match engine forums so we can look into them further. Thanks.

After so many negative comments about Match Egine, a response like this is truly amazing ...

Sigames had no feedback from their beta testers in all this time??

It needs more comments in just two weeks?

After paying the beta?

* Really this reponse would push me to cancel my pre order.

What kind ? Like stay at home, total rest for few days ? It s good for season jadness. And bad "motivation" and signal for the player, feel out of the team by his manager.

It s not just a "slow motion training" about personnal recorvery beetween two matches, isn't it ?

I've always believed it is as it says, 'Rest' from 'Training' and coupled with sensible rotation, 1 days rest after a match can see your players keep good condition throughout the season. I have never had one player complain or lose morale when doing this.

Yeh that is what I would expect, and which is why I look forward to using it as it is a helpful feature. I just don't want it to work as well for me as for him! (albeit only over an 8 game test period)

I've also brought in a number of very good players, so my team are head and shoulders above most of League 1, tbf. I'd expect to romp to the title, and after tweaking I have performed as expected. Before the tweaking was ugly. :D

My principle finding was that my full backs had a tendency to get on the ball a lot, and then to punt the ball forwards; in answer, I tweaked the roles and positions of players so that they always had more options on. I thought I'd gone deeper and edited sliders etc, but on checking again they're all on default settings - so my tactics are purely from the Tactics Creator. I'm playing a 4-4-2, with one wide midfielder at MR, and an AML playing as a winger. One of the tweaks I made was to change my Advanced Forward to a Poacher, as he was taking too many long shots. I changed my MC/Ball Winning Midfielder to a Deep Lying Playmaker so he was offering the FBs a better option. That kind of thing...

After so many negative comments about Match Egine, a response like this is truly amazing ...

Sigames had no feedback from their beta testers in all this time??

It needs more comments in just two weeks?

After paying the beta?

* Really this reponse would push me to cancel my pre order.

Say what? Neil says that if people have issues, then they should let SI know so that those issues can be looked at... and you take that as an insult? Whatever...

You haven't paid for the beta; you've paid for the retail version of the game. You have CHOSEN to play the beta.

When adding players(old and young) to the 'transfer targets' list as Newcastle and with no DOF and having checked the option to handle all transfer dealings myself I find that my assistant John Carver still goes ahead and bids on the players. Is this something that should be happening? Doesn't seem quite right to me?

When adding players(old and young) to the 'transfer targets' list as Newcastle and with no DOF and having checked the option to handle all transfer dealings myself I find that my assistant John Carver still goes ahead and bids on the players. Is this something that should be happening? Doesn't seem quite right to me?

Check your staff responsiblities section? It might be that it is there?

However, I think there is a chance that using the 'transfer target' and 'unwanted' lists bypasses staff responsiblities, or just doesn't feature there at all

I think if you just want be adding players to a list of players you wish to one day sign, and keep tabs on, but not have signed for you, then use the traditional 'add to shortlist' instead of 'transfer targets'. 'Transfer targets' is not an update of the old 'shortlist' but a different thing entirely

Say what? Neil says that if people have issues, then they should let SI know so that those issues can be looked at... and you take that as an insult? Whatever...

You haven't paid for the beta; you've paid for the retail version of the game. You have CHOSEN to play the beta.

Issues???

Do you think a a broken game engine is an issue????

Like a bug to be quickly correct after a proper feedback?

No, it's the main core of gameplay and it's flawed.

I love this game and I'm a fan of this series for many years.

Look at my join date ....

That's why I'm angry and I do not understand the negative gap between 2012 (a good Game engine) and 2013...

• SI Staff

If you have set yourself the responsibility set to yourself then John Carver should not be making the bids. If you could log a bug for this in the bug forums and upload a save I will take a look for you.

Cheers,

Ben

For those struggling with difficulty levels in the beta btw: have you tried analysing matches using the Analysis tool?

I'm having a great run of form, as I've said before - but I did actually find it tricky early on. I studied quite a few matches in the Analysis tools, and tweaked my tactics as a result of what I found so that I wasn't giving away possession so much, keeping the right shape/width etc and getting chances from the right areas. It's worked for me - no goals conceded in eight games now, top of the league by 13 points.

They really losing the point of the game with those add-ons, every year you become less and less manager and the game does your job, it's seems like in few years the player only task would be to purchase and sell players and the computer will do the rest of the job.

Issues???

Do you think a a broken game engine is an issue????

Like a bug to be quickly correct after a proper feedback?

No, it's the main core of gameplay and it's flawed.

I love this game and I'm a fan of this series for many years.

Look at my join date ....

That's why I'm angry and I do not understand the negative gap between 2012 (a good Game engine) and 2013...

Even if there is a 'negative gap', between 2012 and 2013, which is very debatable, you wouldn't know about it, as you have only played BETA 2013.

It will be better on Nov 2nd, and due to the joys of steam updates it will continue to get better regularly during the course of the year.

I think people are making an unfair comparasion.

On one hand we have the ME from FM2012, that was a ME developed since 2010 with so many tweaks, at least 9 patches (3 on FM10, 3 in FM11 and another 3 on FM12).

On the other hand we have a ME that a taking the first steps.

It's only normal that, at first glance, the old one looks better. But we have to be patience, let SI work.

They are taking all this feedback from us, i'm sure in a couple of weeks, if not right at november 2nd, we will get a ME much better when compare with the one from FM12.

What we must realise, and Paul C say this many times, the ME from FM12 had reach is limit. We couldn' go any better than that.

With this ME, perhaps now we take a little step back, but theres the change to progress much more.

Just be patience!

Just opened the Beta for the first time today but failed to get a match in. I have a 24" LED monitor and now also a massive headache! The skin is just way too bright. Do all testers wear mandatory sunglasses?? The yellow rating stars on a white background just hurts and I can't even read the condition % in certain ranges (even if this can be adjusted, it should be readable out of the box!)

Also some of the shortcuts not working is a b*tch, in particular space bar to continue and backspace to move to the previous page, but something I suppose will be fixed before the final release. After having to wait 4 days til I was back home this was a huge disappointment. I know this is a beta and all, but I could barely create a tactic before I just had to quit. Props to those who can actually soldier on despite the awful, awful skin.

Ive been a regular on the FM scene since the first version of CM, even dipped my toe in modding for FML so I know the grief you guys get over some of the decision making etc. Been pretty loyal and normally put a lot of faith and trust behind the way SI wanted FM to nurture.. never been or wanted to be a hater, always defended the crew. But I have to pull me head out of me a55 here and say that for the first time in my FM "career" im MASSIVELY worried about the state of the game. I dont play many other games, maybe the odd IOS game or fifa now and again and rely big time on FM filling a void in my normal 9-5 life, its a good way of chilling out and emersing myelf in a different world (one away from screaming children and nagging women) :p so each installment of FM is a big thing for me.

I spent the whole weekend playing a season with Rangers, managed to finish a season.. after that?? Just uninstalled the game from my HDD and probably wont touch until the ME is far and away from what it is now. . you say this is a rebuild of new ME (correct?) but how is it some of the common bugs that resided in that ME (corner banging being my main gripe) are still around? Ive posted a big amount of bugs on the forum and spent time uploading each example so im trying to help, im trying not to be a hater but this ME youve displayed in BETA is about 20 steps back in terms of bugs and faults.

Yeah so it looks a little more fancy but i dont want pretty, i want robust, i want rigid solid gameplay that doesnt see the same goals being scored over and over and over again. I spent an unreal amount of time on FM12, 34 seasons with my latest Plymouth team which preveneted hours of fun! Spent 24 hours on FM13 and pretty sure i dont want to pick it up again.

Id say the hardcore FM player looks for 3 key things - Match Engine, Realism and Database. If you remove one of these links the whole thing comes crumbling down like a cheap pack of Championship Manager 2010 cards, its just aint pretty :(

SI.. I BEG YOU... PLEASE DONT LET ME DOWN! :applause:(i dont want to be a FM divorcee)

I think people are making an unfair comparasion.

On one hand we have the ME from FM2012, that was a ME developed since 2010 with so many tweaks, at least 9 patches (3 on FM10, 3 in FM11 and another 3 on FM12).

On the other hand we have a ME that a taking the first steps.

It's only normal that, at first glance, the old one looks better. But we have to be patience, let SI work.

They are taking all this feedback from us, i'm sure in a couple of weeks, if not right at november 2nd, we will get a ME much better when compare with the one from FM12.

What we must realise, and Paul C say this many times, the ME from FM12 had reach is limit. We couldn' go any better than that.

With this ME, perhaps now we take a little step back, but theres the change to progress much more.

Just be patience!

Be patient? Release date is in 2 weeks, and people who are playing this beta have already paid for the retail version. They expect a properly working game on the 2nd of november, not a game that should still be in alpha state and will be patched up in the coming months. Considering the poor state of the match engine, less than 2 weeks before release, people are rightfully concerned about the game. A game they already paid for. Bugs of this magnitude should have been ironed out during alpha / closed beta. Not during an open beta, which is nothing more than a glorified demo, 2 weeks before release!

Reading all the negative comments, is it worth getting fm13 or shall I stick with fm12.

I'd take half the comments/feedback you see on here mate with a pinch of salt you probably know how over dramatic people get this time of year, as been said try demo and judge for your self best way to me

Be patient? Release date is in 2 weeks, and people who are playing this beta have already paid for the retail version. They expect a properly working game on the 2nd of november, not a game that should still be in alpha state and will be patched up in the coming months. Considering the poor state of the match engine, less than 2 weeks before release, people are rightfully concerned about the game. A game they already paid for. Bugs of this magnitude should have been ironed out during alpha / closed beta. Not during an open beta, which is nothing more than a glorified demo, 2 weeks before release!

Well what do you want? The SI team to come over to your house and apologise? It is what it is, whining about it isn't going to change anything.

Ive been a regular on the FM scene since the first version of CM, even dipped my toe in modding for FML so I know the grief you guys get over some of the decision making etc. Been pretty loyal and normally put a lot of faith and trust behind the way SI wanted FM to nurture.. never been or wanted to be a hater, always defended the crew. But I have to pull me head out of me a55 here and say that for the first time in my FM "career" im MASSIVELY worried about the state of the game. I dont play many other games, maybe the odd IOS game or fifa now and again and rely big time on FM filling a void in my normal 9-5 life, its a good way of chilling out and emersing myelf in a different world (one away from screaming children and nagging women) :p so each installment of FM is a big thing for me.

I spent the whole weekend playing a season with Rangers, managed to finish a season.. after that?? Just uninstalled the game from my HDD and probably wont touch until the ME is far and away from what it is now. . you say this is a rebuild of new ME (correct?) but how is it some of the common bugs that resided in that ME (corner banging being my main gripe) are still around? Ive posted a big amount of bugs on the forum and spent time uploading each example so im trying to help, im trying not to be a hater but this ME youve displayed in BETA is about 20 steps back in terms of bugs and faults.

Yeah so it looks a little more fancy but i dont want pretty, i want robust, i want rigid solid gameplay that doesnt see the same goals being scored over and over and over again. I spent an unreal amount of time on FM12, 34 seasons with my latest Plymouth team which preveneted hours of fun! Spent 24 hours on FM13 and pretty sure i dont want to pick it up again.

Id say the hardcore FM player looks for 3 key things - Match Engine, Realism and Database. If you remove one of these links the whole thing comes crumbling down like a cheap pack of Championship Manager 2010 cards, its just aint pretty :(

SI.. I BEG YOU... PLEASE DONT LET ME DOWN! :applause:(i dont want to be a FM divorcee)

Great Post and good analysis...

You said the right things ...

Agreed 100%

I'd take half the comments/feedback you see on here mate with a pinch of salt you probably know how over dramatic people get this time of year, as been said try demo and judge for your self best way to me

Many comments usually are over the top on this forum, but regarding the defending issues I fully agree with all the negative feedback that's been raised. It's a serious issue that I would say ruins the whole experience of FM13 as it stands.

Well, firstly, you've got to acknowledge that betas always have problems. When people pay for them, they have this strange expectation that - despite intellectually knowing what they're playing is a beta - the experience will be totally satisfactory. Obviously, with the ME for FM13, that's not going to fly.

I've noticed the following from my travels in the new FM, and I'll start with the 'bad':

1) Speed is overwhelming. When players have >17 Acc/Pace, their ability to detach from markers is incredible. On my Bayern save Ribery would very often penetrate multiple lines, weaving past two, three, four, sometimes even five players on his way to take a shot or put in a cross. More recently, Neymar essentially crossed the entire field, entirely unmolested, to score a beauty. This doesn't often happen in real football for a number of reasons, chief of which is that someone would put in a tackle, at some point, before the run culminated in a shot at goal. On all of my tactics, the marking has been set to 'man' and 'tight', with 'more pressing'. On the flip side, my players often do this to the opposition, too...

2) Crossing is too accurate. Any time a fullback of mine (set to 'tightly mark' and 'deep', with 'defensive' duty) is beaten by a winger (which is often in the extended highlights I watch), the resulting cross is deadly. Center backs do not seem to often jump for the cross to the far post, where a winger is inevitably making a run in. It's hard to stop with any kind of instruction. Crosses in real life are more often than not dealt with by the first defender, but so far that has not seemed the case, with the first defender not in position to deal with the cross.

3) Decision making is absurd, at times. I've seen goal keepers stand still while a ball bounced off them, several seconds would pass, and a forward would blithely run over (with no one else moving) and kick a goal. Kagawa, at one point, struck the post with a good shot, the ball settled near it, and nobody moved to collect it. Nobody, that is, except Kagawa, who jogged over and beat the goalie at his near post. I'm aware that this is a bug you're probably looking into already. Additionally, some of the passing has been worse than brain dead.

4) Throw ins are badly modeled. I know this is likely a bug, but I'm tired of watching Clichy throw the ball straight to an opposition player. That ball isn't being intercepted, Clichy is just throwing it directly to that player, with no City player near him.

5) Transfer AI for newgen youth (14-18 age range) is a bit crazy. A 5-star prospect, 15 years old, quoted price: 40 million euro. A 4.5 star prospect, 14 years old, quoted price: 30 million euro. I'm aware that the AI does not want to sell players of that prospective value, but the board of a bottom table team that isn't worth 40 million euro should not ask me for that kind of money in taking an unproven youth off their hands. My offers weren't derisory (between 3m and 8m euro for a 14-16 year old isn't derisory).

All that said, I'm enjoying the new animations, the financial modeling, the UI and the speed of simulation.

Overall: a good first impression of a beta product, looking forward hopefully to the full version.

Many comments usually are over the top on this forum, but regarding the defending issues I fully agree with all the negative feedback that's been raised. It's a serious issue that I would say ruins the whole experience of FM13 as it stands.

Yep i agree on that 1 the defending is defiantly an issue and probably been worked on as we speak :)

:applause:

I'm 100% relate, iv'e neve said a bad word about SI intill this BETA and i play FM since 2007.

Thx mate.

Will wait for the demo. Will all the problems be fixed in the demo.

Anyone know what sort of age bracket your board are talking about when they want you to sign young players for the 1st team?

On my Newcastle save so far I've bought Jores Okore (20), Stefan Strandberg (22), Adryan (18), Leonard Kweuke (25) and Ruben Yttergard Jenssen (24), kept within my transfer and wage budget and all of them will be young enough to sell on for a profit in a couple seasons if need be and yet the board are very disappointed in the number of 1st team youngsters I signed.

I am very impressed with the changes to the game itself. Although not really a fan of white / light skins in the past, this one is very nice. And things are pretty much intuitive there. Although I do miss the calendar.

However I'm not overly happy with the 3D match engine, there are moments, when it feels like real football. And then there are some others, that do not. I seem to score and concede too many goals coming from a far post cross, where I'd expect a defender and/or goalkeeper intervention.

I'm sure the way to go is right, hopefully changes and fixes will come soon!

Thx mate.

Will wait for the demo. Will all the problems be fixed in the demo.

I've no doubt the SI Team will be trying there hardiest to iron all the issues out mate for release, if i'm honest and this is just my personal opinion it's only the defending at times in the M.E that's a major issue at moment the rest of the game is in fairly good shape but again this is just my view

Is there any way, other than waiting to notice it during the highlights, that I can tell from which direction the wind is blowing? I'm finding the strong wind physics a little overdone but I can't find any icon which gives me an idea of whether I'm shooting into the wind, with it at our backs or across the pitch. This information would be very useful.

Still can't find any way to indicate this and, unless I've missed it, don't think there's been a response.

Any ideas?

• Administrators
Anyone know what sort of age bracket your board are talking about when they want you to sign young players for the 1st team?

On my Newcastle save so far I've bought Jores Okore (20), Stefan Strandberg (22), Adryan (18), Leonard Kweuke (25) and Ruben Yttergard Jenssen (24), kept within my transfer and wage budget and all of them will be young enough to sell on for a profit in a couple seasons if need be and yet the board are very disappointed in the number of 1st team youngsters I signed.

Any chance of raising this in the transfers and contracts forum? - http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/298-Transfers-Contracts-and-Responsibilities

Bear in mind, have these players all been playing in the first team?

I think the age for 'young' players is under 23 but not 100% on that.

• Administrators
Still can't find any way to indicate this and, unless I've missed it, don't think there's been a response.

Any ideas?

I know on the match overview it states the weather type, don't think there is a 'direction' as such. Will ask and check, sorry that got missed first time around.

EDIT: No, not at this time other than seeing how the ball reacts. Thanks for bringing it up though, something for us to bear in mind (which I'm sure the match team already have been).

I know on the match overview it states the weather type, don't think there is a 'direction' as such. Will ask and check, sorry that got missed first time around.

No problem and thanks for the response.

Incidentally, I tried to use the corner flags as an indicator of wind direction but they appeared to be showing the wrong direction by 180 degrees. I've only had one game with high wind thus far so I haven't reported it as a bug in case it isn't even written into the game that the corner flags respond to the wind.

There should be an option to Hire a Head Coach and have him take care of training. This would be great for those of us who do not want to get involved in sorting out training schedules etc. Hire someone you can trust, and leave it to them, just as you can now with a Head Scout and have them sort out the scouting assignments.

The ability to hire a Head Coach is a must for me. It seems like the only staff member they have forgotton about!

Just had a game end 1-1 but in my news inbox after I continued game, it stated that I won 2-1.

I then checked the match report and it said 2-1.

The teamtalk after the match, handled by AssMan, was based on a disappointing draw against a team we should be beating etc.

After a tough start to my season, i finally found a tactic to work, im now dominating and sitting 1st place. The only really thing thats bothering me about the game is the number of Disallowed goals. seems to me i get one just about every game. Anyone else?

Archived