Liverpool Thread 2012/13

bell

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

can't rememeber if i made any comment on sahin. so here goes (hopefully not again).

i have never seen him play. from what i read, he seems to be an improvement on jay and charlie. and that would be putting it lightly it would seem. even if for one year, this in itself is a positive for us. i would think that if sahin feels he has something to prove to jose, it is another positive for us. real are already way better than us, so the marginal loss for us is minimal from the deal if he returns there.

there is the £5m fee being talked about. is this the wages we are taking on? is this an amount we are paying to madrid above the wages? i can't see it not being the former. and if it is, that works for me.

there is the £5m fee being talked about. is this the wages we are taking on? is this an amount we are paying to madrid above the wages? i can't see it not being the former. and if it is, that works for me.

Keep seeing this £5m fee bandied around the net and although we probably did pay a fee, this figure was reported in the Metro which is probably the worst source possible. I wouldn't read to much into it.

I thought Borini started the game well today, but faded badly. It will take a while for him to step up to the pace of the Premier League I guess.

Good performance though, just dissapointed at the goals we conceded, both soft really. Reina did not need to come and flap at the ball, it was going anywhere near a City head, and as for Skrtel.... less said about that the better. Worth noting though that Carra did a similar thing against Hearts. Probably a symptom of the centre-halves playing quite split when in possession and the temptation to pass back to the goalkeeper a lot when playing this formation. The deep lying midfielders need to be helping the defenders out when it's like that, but these things will get worked on, so not too worried.

Good passing today (mostly), excellent pressing, just lacked a little bit in the last 3rd I thought. Suarez should try looking for a pass more, Borini needs to sharpen, Sterling played well considered his age and experience and will cause weaker teams all sorts of problems this season.

we are paying 5 million for him to come in and 5 million of his wages for the year from what I have seen

Never in a million years are we spending 10mill on a player for one season.

The 5mill will be used to cover a percentage of his annual wages (apparently he is on around 7.5mill a season)

Over the past year or so I almost crap myself when we pass back to the keeper. I dont know any other team that gets caught as much as we do.

I remember Flannagan against Blackburn. Gerrard v Chelsea and there has been a few were we have got away it. I even got nervous when Allen played a 20 yarder to Reina :(

It's the total package which is about 80 % of his wages compared to the 30% arsenal offered

just to kill the postive feelings over the gneeral performance today: we had similar performances against top teams over the last couple of seasons, our main problem has been unlocking teams that played defensively then hit us on the counter (see our awful home record last year and the West brom game). Sterling and Borini don't look like the type of players that will help in that regard, though hopefully Sahin will, but in general today's good overall performance is not gonna do much against those teams. That's why we need to bring in an experienced forward who can pick that pass into a crowded box, or see that run that nobody else does. Dempsey does that brilliantly, so hopefully there is some truth to that rumour. We really need more options than we currently have

I diasgree slightly. I think Sterling has that spark to create something out of nothing at times. He needs to work on his decision making a little, but that will come with time.

Its not another creator that we need (especially now that we have Sahin) its a proven finisher. Dempsey might be able to address it a little, but we need more I think. Someone whose only job on the pitch is to score goals. I mentioned Darren Bent earlier, and whilst I don't necessarily want him, someone of that ilk would be fantastic.

top game and great performance yesterday :cool:.

to play the best team in the league and draw is never something to be disappointed about. mental by skrtel with that backpass, but **** happens. all 3 midfielders were great, credit to shelvey for stepping it up after his shocker midweek. got to wonder what it all means to henderson to have shelvey preferred to step in, in such a high profile game, plus the addition of sahin who i'd imagine will be above him in the pecking order too.

allen is like a more mobile alonso :cool:, hope he can give us the same quality.

crazy good showing from sterling too, am so pleased brendan has the balls to pick the likes of him and coates in such big games and doesn't shy away and go for the safe option which woud've been carra and downing say.

How posh is Joe Allen? Saw a post match interview with him.

I am going to need to look at those chalkboards and stuff for Borini to see what exactly in his game that makes him a better choice than Carroll up top. Carroll drops into midfield, lays the ball off. I need to see what exactly Borrini does that made him so essential for Rogers to go after.

Surprised Carroll got such a warm welcome, thought everyone was 'against' him? Pleased to see that and once again comes on and looks dangerous. I think if he holds out and doesn't get forced into a move, which he shouldn't, he will play more games than people thought he would at the start of the season.

Sterling is more than ready to play at this level now. Downing should never play again, Sterling done more than him already to excite fans. Also tracked back well throughout

Right, first comment since the game. We played absolutely fantastic yesterday and made Man City look average in my eyes. They werent that good at all!!! Its such a shame that we were unable to hold onto the lead, especially as I feel both goals were kind of our own fault, especially their second, Skrtel :(.

Anyway, good point still and nice to get off the mark. Luis' free-kick :cool:.

Yaya toure said anfield is always tough but this was the toughest game he has played in since being in England.

West ham linked with a £2 million bid for joe cole

Aston Villa linked with downing prob around £8 million

Newcastle linked with Carroll £17 million

Adam linked with stoke/Everton £5 million

Spearing only the media linking him with forest £3 million I don't think anyone will bid for him

If we can shift a few of the above and bring in a wide player and a striker that will be a great transfer window.

I'm still buzzing from yesterday the passing and movement was terrific we sat back a bit too much part of the first half and hit the ball long a bit too often but overall we passed the ball really well quickly and with a purpose where as impervious years it was slow we would knock 10 passes and end up where we started.

Sterling was brilliant he took defenders on he chose the right pass and his crossing was good and not only that but he tracked back well and won the ball back a few times.

Joe Allen looks quality he makes time on the ball and always makes himself available knocking the ball short starting the attacks. I don't know what Borini offers but I think he would be better In the centre.

I know we lost to west brom last week but we created chances first half was even but like yesterday silly mistakes at the back cost us but that is something we will work on and cut out.

Important thing is can see what the managers trying to do, the brand of football he is looking to play and the type of players he wants. I'm excited for the season ahead and think we should look at finishing in the top 6 anything elseis a bonus.

Atmosphere yesterday was fantastic loudest I have heard for a while let's hope atmosphere and the football is the same when we play teams below the top 6.

Just to kill the mood, did we actually create any super decent chances from open play yesterday?

Swansea scored one of the lowest amount of league goals last season, even less than us. You don't hear it mentioned very often.

i wouldnt have said that chance was super decent tbh, but yeah, can't think of any others.

bell - we have a superior squad, but as far as attacking players goes it's lacking compared to others we'll be competing with. still gonna be over reliant on Suarez and Gerrard unless we bring someone in

it's quite worrying tbh. If we are gonna play two deeper lying midfielders (Lucas and Allen) then we really need excellent options for the 4 infront of them. This is the fourth manager in a row we've had who has set us up in a way that means we don't get players in the box during open play, a staple of the teams that have regularly finished above us. I really don't want another season of Luis having no one to pass to and players shooting repeatedly from outside the box because no one is making runs into it.

Hopefully with Lucas and Allen (or Sahin) there our fullbacks can push all the way forward allowing the wide players to drift into the box at earlier opportunities. Too often last season we had Kuyt and Johnson or Downing and Jose within a few yards of each other, with only Carroll or Suarez in the box to aim at and Gerrard at the edge. Do not want.

Suarez coming in from a wide position makes a lot of sense to me. Beat a man or two, then find Borini. Pinging the ball into the box from deep(ish) won't make much sense with only Borini and Suarez in the middle. A decent option if we're chasing the game late, though, and if we can persuade big Andy he's a target man.

For now, my advice would be quite simple. Borini needs to look to receive the ball in the 18-yard box only, with the exception of counter-attacking. And when he gets it, kick it at the goal. Hard.
it would depend on which formation BR goes for, in a 4-2-3-1 Borini would be better of as the central striker, just playing of the defense and making runs in behind, while in a 4-3-3 where there's a greater burden creatively on the central striker, he would be better as a wide forward looking to make runs inside into the box and purly get to the end of moves (since he cant really do a lot with the ball at his feet),

We really need a striker who can just get himself into good positions in the box and then finish the opportunities created for him by the likes of Gerrard, Suarez et al. I'm hoping that it's Borini. If it's not, then we urgently need to go and get ourselves somebody who is.

They don't come cheap, though.

THE REDS ARE GREAT

Superb that yesterday, ground was rocking too, positivity from everyone. Joe Allen is going to be a world beater, the lad is so composed on possesion. Him Lucas and Sahin will be an outstanding midfield 3 and free Gerrard up to play with Suarez and Borini.

Oh and for whoever said Darren Bent would improve us - Might be the worst shout I've ever seen. Wouldn't suit us one bit

Never going to create many 'super decent' chances against a defence like City. Borini should have scored, Suarez scuffed one wide, we got to the byline in the box a couple of times and picked the wrong pass and the carroll header off the line, plus two goals is more than enough chances against city. We drew the game because of individual defensive mistakes not because we didnt create enough chances. You shouldnt need to score three goals at home to win.

ATTENTION :)

The very visible sticky doesn't seem to be enough so here's a little head's up for anyone and everyone when it comes to illegal streams:

Asking for streams:

1st offence - A week long ban

2nd offence - A two week ban

Providing streams:

1st offence - A week long ban

2nd offence - A two week ban

Please note that these bans assume a clean infraction history. If you've already had a week long ban when you receive an infraction for this then you'll automatically be bumped up to the next ban which is two weeks.

Any mention of watching an illegal stream of a match will result in a 10 point infraction. There is no need to mention watching a stream and it has lead to other users being banned for asking for links to streams.

And, as there seems to be a need to state this, ignorance of these rules is not an excuse for breaking them.

Archived