Liverpool Thread 2012/13

bell

hope we aren't in for walcott, his game is really limited imo. not creative or strong enough defensively to play out wide for us with our high pressing and possession football what we are trying to play. for every great game he has it's followed by 10 average ones.

same goes for the calls for darren bent and defoe ffs, both so one dimensional that yes they may get goals but the whole team suffers as play has to be built around helping them. any hold up play or creativity linking the midfield and wide players up is totally gone as they offer so little except when they're in the box or for balls over the top (which we won't be doing). thankfully they're not what i expect rodgers to be after to lead the line for us.

can see this friday being a bit mental with transfers for us all being done in the last hour :D. expect quite a few to go and dempsey and a maybe another striker to arrive.

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hope we aren't in for walcott, his game is really limited imo. not creative or strong enough defensively to play out wide for us with our high pressing and possession football what we are trying to play. for every great game he has it's followed by 10 average ones.

same goes for the calls for darren bent and defoe ffs, both so one dimensional that yes they may get goals but the whole team suffers as play has to be built around helping them. any hold up play or creativity linking the midfield and wide players up is totally gone as they offer so little except when they're in the box or for balls over the top (which we won't be doing). thankfully they're not what i expect rodgers to be after to lead the line for us.

can see this friday being a bit mental with transfers for us all being done in the last hour :D. expect quite a few to go and dempsey and a maybe another striker to arrive.

Limited is exactly the word for Walcott. If he can be played in behind the defensive line so he can use his pace and his finishing he's absolutely devastating, but he's not skilful enough to regularly beat a defender in front of him and his passing's not particularly incisive. The problem we have with him is that because we push up and play a possession game, and because opponents are scared of his pace, most teams defend very deep and Walcott's threat is mostly nullified. Given Rodgers plays a similar system I think you'd have exactly the same issues with him as we do.

teams play deep against Arsenal and his record there last two seasons is pretty damn impressive.

Ha, just had a look and his stats are a lot better than my perception would suggest!

Haven't found a run down of the games in which he scored/assisted but at a guess I would say most of them are from games where teams chose to attack or were forced to by going behind. Certainly my abiding memory of Walcott over the last few seasons is frustration at the way he disappears from games.

Spearing staying until Jan wouldn't be a major issue for me, given his low wages. That would mean we would have no worries about getting rid of Adam, as we'd have Jay to back up Allen, Sahin and Henderson in midfield, if needed in Europa games. Though if both do go we can always drop Gerrard or Shelvey back there

Shame about Lucas, Hopes he comes back stronger than ever, least it will give another player to stake a claim and hopfully improve who ever it is..

What About Downing at left back? would be a good attacking option, i think he would be better than Enrique but would he be good enough defensivly? with Rodgers Game plan to keep the ball and attack it sounds like a good idea.

If Downing was from Brazil i think people would laugh if you said he was a skillfull left winger. he would be fullback at best i reckon!?

People calling for players like defoe and bent have, in my opinion completely misunderstood what Brendan Rodger is trying to do.

Like a guy at work, repeatedly says we should play carroll because when we are under pressure we can play it up to him, i have tried to tell him that Rodgers believes in defending with the ball not playing low percentage hoofs up the field. Whilst his point is valid in theory it ignores the whole ethos of Brendan Rodgers making it essentially a ridiculous statement.

Is Borini not in the same mould as Defoe and Bent? Haven't seen much of him, but I thought he was more of a poacher (could be way off the mark though).

Not sure who would be realistically available to spearhead the attack for the system Rodgers likes to play, although Torres would have been ideal.

Presuming you mean Danny, he was pretty poor in the 1 pre-season friendly I saw him in. Probably needs to go on loan to see if he'll ever develop enough. Not convinced he will.
he was very poor and showing nothing that could indicate he would become better the few times I saw him play around the time he arrived at liverpool, so yeah, I am also not convinced that he will become good enough, just another player who will fail to live up to the fm hype sadly

a bit hard to tell what BR is planning on doing upfront long term. Obviously Suarez has got the nod centrally over Borini so far, whether that's because BR thinks his creativity helps more, or whether its just because he's an all-round better player, who knows. Last year with Graham at Swansea, he wasn't involved in the play like Suarez was, he was just the final outlet for the rest of the team's passing, I would say his main job was to get into good positions and let the ball come to him. I think at the level we're looking at you'd expect your striker to do more (ala Suarez) but of course that means you've not got that player who is just trying to find space in the box or make the right run and that's it, which is why I'd quite like Borini playing more centrally so Suarez has a target to get the ball too.

Walcott's love of making a run into the 6yrd box could help a lot if Suarez is gonna play down the middle though

a bit hard to tell what BR is planning on doing upfront long term. Obviously Suarez has got the nod centrally over Borini so far, whether that's because BR thinks his creativity helps more, or whether its just because he's an all-round better player, who knows. Last year with Graham at Swansea, he wasn't involved in the play like Suarez was, he was just the final outlet for the rest of the team's passing, I would say his main job was to get into good positions and let the ball come to him. I think at the level we're looking at you'd expect your striker to do more (ala Suarez) but of course that means you've not got that player who is just trying to find space in the box or make the right run and that's it, which is why I'd quite like Borini playing more centrally so Suarez has a target to get the ball too.

Walcott's love of making a run into the 6yrd box could help a lot if Suarez is gonna play down the middle though

Suarez does tend to hog the ball to oftern at times when a pass would be better option, his head is always down and he doesn't look up quick enough to see a team mate in a better place, somthing BR can teach perhapps? failing that with his lack of shots on target to goals ration, i think id like to see Suarez as one of the wide front men.. But is Borini a 20+ goal a season striker.? I'm not sure wtaching him what kind of a player he is other than beeing played wide left..

his goal record at Roma was pretty impressive, we've certainly not seen the best of him yet, but what we will get this season i dunno, still clearly developing. I think Suarez often has no outlet and it's resulted in him going at it alone even when he does, was pretty bad at city at how often he made a brilliant run with the ball then got his feet messed up trying to make a pass or go past someone. part of the problem his him with his head down, part of it is lack of options. Gerrard needs to be getting in the box first opportunity and Sterling/Borini giving him options. Hopefully with Sahin now we'll start attacking with 5 at a time, rather than the 2 or 3 we have the last couple of seasons.

After the City game there are many positives how we played, against a team that cost many millions.. i mean we are at such an early stage in a massive change on alot of fronts.. If we can score when we have our best spells alot of our players can only improve as can the game ethics that BR wants to play..

Just hope we dont have to many repeats of the WBA game. i think nest game Against Arsenal will tell us a thing or two, it appears it will be a tight game but very open, i think Arsenal are a tad more organised than City as i think Mancini seems to be tinkering for odd reason's..

it's what i'd expect arsenal to say tbh. they're not likely to say he's for sale are they? otherwise they'd get ridiculously low bids for him.

did anyone see the press conference? apparently rodgers was asked about him and when he got asked 'surely you rate a player like walcott', rodgers just had a big smile across his face and winked at the reporter.

i think we are in for him and have a good chance of getting him. i hope so anyway, big step up on what we've still got.

Is Borini not in the same mould as Defoe and Bent? Haven't seen much of him, but I thought he was more of a poacher (could be way off the mark though).

Not sure who would be realistically available to spearhead the attack for the system Rodgers likes to play, although Torres would have been ideal.

well i can't pretend to know much about borini but from what i've read and seen the main differences are, he's alot more switched on defensively and understands the team pressing as one setup rodgers expects, can also play in all three forward positions and seems comfortable interchanging during play.

he's been pretty average tbf so far, but he'll come good i reckon. rodgers obviously rates him hugely.

it's what i'd expect arsenal to say tbh. they're not likely to say he's for sale are they? otherwise they'd get ridiculously low bids for him.

did anyone see the press conference? apparently rodgers was asked about him and when he got asked 'surely you rate a player like walcott', rodgers just had a big smile across his face and winked at the reporter.

i think we are in for him and have a good chance of getting him. i hope so anyway, big step up on what we've still got.

Yes i see the big smile interview, certainly much better to watch than when Dalglish was asked a question ;)... BR is an honest and decent guy, I hope we give him some quality tools to work with. Walcott? yes get him in, Arsenal are a selling club these days, train players and then move them on ;). parent club to the rest of Europe lol..

So Hearts tomorrow, wouldn't mind seeing a team of...

Reina

Kelly		Coates		Carragher		Robinson

Shelvey		Spearing	Henderson

Sterling						Downing

Suarez

Which would then give us a team of

Reina

Johnson		Agger		Skrtel			Enrique

Gerrard		Allen		Sahin

Borini							Downing/Assaidi			

Suarez	

Against Arsenal. 4 starts in 2 weeks might a bit much for Sterling.

re: the press conference, he said he wasn't gonna talk about individual players after walcott had already been mentioned and shut down talk about transfers, then the same journo said something along the lines of 'but you do rate walcott' and he smiled at that, i.e. at the journo's persistence, not about him mentioning Walcott.

Walcott is in his last year of his contract and unhappy so many big names have left including his big pal RVP. Walcott is supposed to be an lfc fan which is why people think he might be interested in coming to us.

I think he wants 100k a week from the reports I have read and if he can't agree new terms with arsenal then they might consider £15 million for him.

We are interested but need to sell as we don't have much money.

Adam to villa/Everton/fulham £5-8 million

Downing to villa £8 million

Carroll to Newcastle £17 million

Spearing to bolton £3 million

All depends if we can get replacements and players agree to moving on

Very much doubt anyone will play £17m for Carroll, your probably looking at closer to £10m-£12m in my opinion.

Still think we will bid again this week, probably deadline day fwiw

Archived