Vote: Feedback on the forum skin: Old vs New

Which forum skin do you prefer?  

497 members have voted

1. 1. Which forum skin do you prefer?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the moment I prefer the old skin due to the loss of screen estate and it's too white for my liking. I think however it would be fairer to ask this question in a month, when we've had a chance to get used to it.

This is going to sound incredibly ironic, but it's too bright and hurts my eyes. I like the layout, but the one thing the old skin had that's better was the colour scheme, whereas this is pure white, and I'm already getting a headache. :(

The old skin was better imo. When I saw this for the first time earlier this evening, I thought it was hideous. I won't go that far now as I now find a bit more usable as I have begun to find my way around it. Certainly I don't think is anywhere near an improvement over the old skin though as far as I am concerned anyway so I would have preferred it still have the old skin.

My problems include the not changing colour thing for threads you've already visited (though it's not huge), the fact that the text I'm typing in now is tiny, and the forum just messed up a quote in mylast post.

If it is true that all pics are now links thats very bad. Also the shiny new smileys need a lot more smileys to be anything more than a gimmick. Unless the usability of the forum can be improved (massively) this upgrade has been a failure.

I've been on forums that went through changes like this and it just takes a bit of getting used to. I just feel however that the clarity on the old one was better, and I miss the feature where I could see a preview of the first line if I did a mouseover on a thread.

Given that the "point" of the upgrade was to make posts stand out more (as well as improving integration with social networks etc., which has led to us having a Twitter feed at the top), I think it has failed. Less posts fit on a page, and the columns on the left containing usernames and so on are wider, reducing the room for posts.

They need to seriously get rid of this idea of social networking and all other periphery websites. Did you see how bad the "World Cup Players to Watch" list was? Not far off watching the CM demo of the new "Set Piece" creator.

There is quite a trend of "fail" and "media" springing up about this company recently. They only just completely reset FML and are now harking far and wide about updates to the 3-D match engine.

I have long been criticised for being an SI fanboy. If current SI trends continue then that reputation wont, I can assure you.

Maybe this new layout was a way to get such prolific and wordy and image using people like me to bugger off. Can't have people like that around while they swap superficial appearance for actual content.

I've been on forums that went through changes like this and it just takes a bit of getting used to. I just feel however that the clarity on the old one was better, and I miss the feature where I could see a preview of the first line if I did a mouseover on a thread.

Unless I am misunderstanding you, that feature is still here.

Yeah, I don't really like the fixed width thing but you're going to get used to the new look after a while. People are just naturally opposed to change, just give it time guys.

I am still not liking this i came on around 12pm (Australian time) to have a look and didnt like the feel of the change. i decided to log off and come back on before i go home (at work at the moment) to see if i had a better liking for it. I have to say though that i probably like it even less now.

I could probably get used to the small text when you type and the masses of blank space i guess but it is definately far too bright for me. I can actually feel myself getting a headache the longer i browse the site. Also it seems a lot harder to find things but that might just be because its a new layout and i am generally slow to adapt to new layouts.

I'm not opposed to change, and recognise that this was required due to the forum software that these forums rely on, but to be honest, there are several formatting issues with this new layout that are simply not as good as with the old skin.

I am also personally not a fan of white-background pages (and similarly disliked the shift to that type of formatting with FM itself) as they are very difficult on the eyes, particularly on widescreen monitors.

1, Its far too bright! It actually ends up hurting my eyes after two minutes of reading, please change the white to an off white, or even cream!

2, Browsing this forum on a widescreen monitor just looks nasty now, why waste half the screen with emptyness?

Not particularly relevant when it comes to websites tbh.

Why's that then? What important new functionality does this upgrade provide that the old forum was crying out for?

I'm struggling to see a single improvement myself.

This skin is not very good on the eyes. :(

The thread starters name is like right beneath the thread title, and pretty hard to see. And someone already mentioned the blank spaces that you see in widescreen.

And don't get me started on the new smilies...

I don't mind forum upgrades so much ... it is usually a matter of getting used to new layouts and functions.

But I really don't see the need for the new bright white skin. It hurts my eyes. Also having the grey bars seems so ... 90s. Just a huge waste of space in my browser window (and I don't even run it in full-screen), and it makes screenshots look weird.

Kepp the new functionality, but change the skin and layout.

Several, several, I mean several steps backwards. SLOW, so slow, try to use the scrollbar. White all over. Confusing, where does one post start or end ? SLOW, slow, sluggishly slow, have you used the scrollbar to go up ?

Way too much wasted space and it really bugs me that links that I've clicked on have the same colour as those I haven't clicked on. Any post with a screenshot in it looks ugly and it's annoying that you can't jump straight to another forum from the bottom of a thread.

The white colour doesn't bother me at all though.

i dont like that it's harder to telll what are new posts when you are skimming a page, given that there is a fairly dark bluey/gray sheet icon at the top of every post and the ones in the bar at the top are that colour if new or white if old, was much easier when new posts had a yellow icon.

They need to seriously get rid of this idea of social networking and all other periphery websites. Did you see how bad the "World Cup Players to Watch" list was? Not far off watching the CM demo of the new "Set Piece" creator.

I can understand the stuff on the Mirror's website, no matter how awful it is, because they're getting paid for it. I'm not a fan of having the Twitter feed at the top of the page, and things like the Facebook competition are maybe taking it too far.

But using FM attributes (six months out of date) to seriously represent a real life player and judge his impact on a match? Really?

Jesus christ, I don't use facebook or bloody twitter yet I'm beginning to feel like I'm being press ganged into it by some of the forums I use.

This new look is awful on so many levels. I have absolutely nothing positive to say about it!

How long before mods and devs stop posting on here and just use twitter? I've seen it happen in other forums.

Anyone who picks the new skin is obviously blind, lol

Wow! Thats so nice of you. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Just because someone is against what you like does not mean they are blind. Get mature mate.

Everybody always hates any forum upgrade. And then when the next upgrade comes, the same people complain because the previous upgrade was so good, etc, etc. The previous forum was extremely outdated, having some new software can only be a good thing. It'll just take some getting used to.

Completely agree with you. It always happens.

As for me I love the new look. Its fresh and clean.

This design has Anderson written over it. Am I right?

I think at the minute it is onbvioulsy very new, and as such will take time to get used to and to iron out any complaints/problem, much as is the case with FM.

It is different, and I don't like it yet, but I could get used to it if it was tinkered with. The main problems I find are;

- It is too bright, in my opinion anyway, especially considering a lot of us FM players are dark lurkers :D

- The text in the quick reply box is far far too small for my eyes to comprehend better.

If those two intial points could be addressed then I see no reason to not like it. It's change, and people generally don't like change.

Guest markyosullivan

IMO it needed to be changed. Was getting fed up of seeing the same old design for forums. Avatars are needed along with sigs!!!

IMO it needed to be changed. Was getting fed up of seeing the same old design for forums. Avatars are needed along with sigs!!!

No they are not. They clog up the forums and make it load slower. Its loading slow enough as it is without any more crap adding to it

Why are they? StevoRobbo's point about speed is one good point not to have them. Can you give me one good reason why they should be allowed? What would your signature be? What difference would it make? They are pointless and on the forums that I see them they are just used to boast about one thing or another (usually how good their PC is). Waste of time, space and effort.

Why are they? StevoRobbo's point about speed is one good point not to have them. Can you give me one good reason why they should be allowed? What would your signature be? What difference would it make? They are pointless and on the forums that I see them they are just used to boast about one thing or another (usually how good their PC is). Waste of time, space and effort.

Because then I'd be able to put up a picture of my boobs as my avatar.

obviously as they're man-boobs I'm being sarcastic.

Though I wouldn't mind a sig, it'd allow me to make more of a fool of myself.

Avatars are terrible, you're an idiot for wanting them. And, you can have signatures....but I'm not telling you how because they are very annoying and again, pointless.

Archived