Little FM things that you love

1) Theres more realistic mistakes and no passes to own goal past gk. Compared to example fm19.

2) No more pinpointed longballs for st's.

3) Reduced amounts of players stepping over the ball.

4) The feel of excitement in last 5 league games.

5) Game is very stable (earlier fm's traumatized me and I save allways before and after game :D). Almost no crashes in fm20.

6) If theres too many setpiece goals theres also very nice openplay goals time to time.

Edited by Pasonen

1) The fact that you can see player preferred foot without opening his page - just hovering over small i next to his name will suffice. It helps a lot with opposition instructions if you don't need to click through their whole squad (like in FM16)

2) Manager name not visible in top bar, so I don't have to manually hide it when I post screenshots. That was a thing that bothered me a lot in FM13

How alive its world feels (despite being pretty predictable based on teams reputation). I usually spend some time during season, and at the end of it, browsing the different competitions to see how teams are performing and who they sign.

2 hours ago, cudithekid94 said:

How alive its world feels (despite being pretty predictable based on teams reputation). I usually spend some time during season, and at the end of it, browsing the different competitions to see how teams are performing and who they sign.

Oh I love this. On every single save I check how Arsenal are doing, who they bought and sold, how the got on and etc. End the coolest part is, it's different every time. Sometimes they go into mediocrity, sometimes they win the league 2 times in a row. I love this part of the game.

What I love specifically about FM 20 is the option to remove fluff around matches. I can go through a lot more games now in the same amount of time, so that's a + for me. 

Player requests new contract while on an unbelievable scoring run. He's considered "World Class" and is almost unstoppable. Even though he has plenty of time left on his current contract, I cave in reward his great form with a new deal giving him a major bump in his salary. 

After signing a new contract, the player completely disappears-only to be seen on the back of a milk carton. He can't do anything. Can't score, not contributing at all on the pitch, this while being surrounded by great teammatesCouldn't put the ball in the freaking ocean! 

Couldn't motivate him, no reports or injuries to explain his demise, nothing. Could only surmise that he became fat & lazy from his new contract. I ended up having to sell him for pennies on the dollar just to get his contract of the payroll. 

Could have posted this in "Little things that annoy you" thread but I love the realism. 

For me its  the enjoyment I get out of just playing the game.i get so invested into the teams I manage&the players.the amount of times I have heard my wife say to me" I actually think you belive its real". There's always something new to learn about the game too.i would love to know the average play time people spend on this game that would probably say alot more than words

• A world where Sean Dyche becomes England manager and where they are the holders of the 2022 Word Cup and 2024 Euros and then returns to club football at BVB
  • Conversely, having Lampard as the manager of my u18s
  • Having your loanees contribute to promotions for your affiliates
  • Being bottom (ie 'best') of the salary/turnover table
  • The rare universal positive tweets from supporters after a match or signing... typically some Buzz Killington needs to be a downer :-)

• Signing a player and selling them for a significant profit despite them not becoming a regular starter.
  • The slight smugness I get in a journeyman save when a team that turned me down for their job end up sacking the guy they chose instead.
  • The satisfaction of making a sub/tactical change and watching it pay off- for example I was 2-0 down at halftime recently, switched to a 2 striker formation and saw the striker I brought on score a hattrick as we finished off a 4-2 win
  • Having a coach you plucked from nothing be given a proper managers job

• The pride and excitement when you put your 5* potential new-gen into the starting XI for the first time.
  • Getting a player to back down over a contract demand!
  • When you score that team goal.
  • Making a tactical tweak or a sub that leads directly to an important goal.

On 17/08/2020 at 16:06, Impacto said:

Oh I love this. On every single save I check how Arsenal are doing, who they bought and sold, how the got on and etc. End the coolest part is, it's different every time. Sometimes they go into mediocrity, sometimes they win the league 2 times in a row. I love this part of the game.

What I love specifically about FM 20 is the option to remove fluff around matches. I can go through a lot more games now in the same amount of time, so that's a + for me. 

Yeah, it´s so cool. I follow Spanish football and every season i check the Segunda B (the third tier) and sometimes there´s some beautiful stories out there. In my current game, CD Ebro got their promotion to the second division. And they are an incredibly humble team. It makes the game feel unique.

It doesn't happen every time but the message that talks about a youngster's friends and family showing up to the game when you give him his professional debut always reminds me of the simpler things in football and how few actually make it.  

Winning two-legged cup matches against marquee sides :-)

As plucky Brighton we've taken our share of hidings over the years, but an aggregate win (1-0/1-1) against Liverpool in the League Cup semi last season and an aggregate win (2-0, 2-1) over Man City in the Champions League QFs this season have been about as enjoyable in-game matches as I've had playing FM. Especially when playing my tactic/style how I wanted to play it and not doing any silly compensations like you do against bus-parkers.

Edited by CaptCanuck

11 hours ago, DementedHammer said:

Joining a new club and mentally putting together some kind of tactical system to fit the players available, then seeing my vision actually come together on the field as a cohesive system. 

Very interesting. I am quite the opposite, I like finding a way to fit a variety of players into my preferred systems, and being surprised by how well they fit in despite their lacking attributes sometimes.

One thing that I think we all love about FM - When a youngster unexpectedly breaks into the first team. I am not talking about the wonderkids, that's not a sensation. But when a player you had little hopes for has to come in maybe because of many injuries and saves the day. Players that you know probably aren't gonna make it, but they come in and do a great job when no one expects them to. I just love it when that happens, although it's rare. 

Here is an example:

1150861558_TobyJeacock.thumb.png.35a94604c5c3a65e64a497e5c6862519.png

This guy will never be a top player for Arsenal, but we had injury crysis and he had to come on as a sub in CL. I don't remember agains who it was, it was a while ago but it was one of the big boys. iirc we were fighting for qualification and we needed the win. I put him on and he bangs in a hattrick out of nowhere. In his first freaking game! He became a legend that day and this is why I still have the screen shot around. I think later on he scored a few more from the bench as I had to play him in lesser games, I owed it to him to give him a chance. And he performed quite well for his poor attributes. I never played much further in that save but I still remember this like it was yesterday. 

I just love it when random things like that happen. 

7 hours ago, Impacto said:

One thing that I think we all love about FM - When a youngster unexpectedly breaks into the first team. I am not talking about the wonderkids, that's not a sensation. But when a player you had little hopes for has to come in maybe because of many injuries and saves the day. Players that you know probably aren't gonna make it, but they come in and do a great job when no one expects them to. I just love it when that happens, although it's rare.

I just had this in my current save, playing as Winterthur in the Swiss second division, needed to win the last game and my rival to draw at the most for me to win automatic promotion. I lost all 3 of my right midfielders, and 3 of my 4 strikers. Brought in two youngsters in both postions, and the striker got the end of a right winger cross in the last 10 minutes to put us ahead. It also helped that in my rival teams game, their opponent scored in the last minute to equalise (had the live scores up as i was playing). I love how in some situations, you get tense moments like this.

On 17/08/2020 at 20:08, CaptCanuck said:

Having your loanees contribute to promotions for your affiliates

This. Like 'I'm not just using you, I'm contributing'. 
The guy was actually never going to make it into my first team, last year of his contract I stalled him at 1860 Munchen, just to do something good for them. He turned out to be their star player and they were promoted to the first Bundesliga. They could have signed him for free but they just let him go and Madrid's B team signed him. So ungrateful. 

At the moment I have my talented goalkeeper at Celta (not affiliates though). I think he has 4th most clean sheets in the league and they'll most likely get into Europe next season thanks in part to him. 

9 hours ago, Impacto said:

Very interesting. I am quite the opposite, I like finding a way to fit a variety of players into my preferred systems, and being surprised by how well they fit in despite their lacking attributes sometimes.

Here is an example:

1150861558_TobyJeacock.thumb.png.35a94604c5c3a65e64a497e5c6862519.png

This guy will never be a top player for Arsenal, but we had injury crysis and he had to come on as a sub in CL. I don't remember agains who it was, it was a while ago but it was one of the big boys. iirc we were fighting for qualification and we needed the win. I put him on and he bangs in a hattrick out of nowhere. In his first freaking game! He became a legend that day and this is why I still have the screen shot around. I think later on he scored a few more from the bench as I had to play him in lesser games, I owed it to him to give him a chance. And he performed quite well for his poor attributes. I never played much further in that save but I still remember this like it was yesterday. 

I just love it when random things like that happen. 

Very very true mate.
I had a similar situation with my left-back position.
The super young kid stepped-in and did me, himself and his family proud.......a nice little shock for a few  games.

I like that the game acknowledges attempts for an unbeaten season in news items. It happens towards the end of the season if you're undefeated, and as a long-time manager of the same club, this was my only remaining goal after more than 25 seasons where I kept going on good runs but eventually losing a game somewhere late in the season. It's ridiculously hard to go unbeaten and I appreciate that the game gives you props when it finally happens.

1 hour ago, Norfair said:

I like that the game acknowledges attempts for an unbeaten season in news items. It happens towards the end of the season if you're undefeated, and as a long-time manager of the same club, this was my only remaining goal after more than 25 seasons where I kept going on good runs but eventually losing a game somewhere late in the season. It's ridiculously hard to go unbeaten and I appreciate that the game gives you props when it finally happens.

These past two seasons I'd do really good except one match where nothing goes right and I'd get a 3-0 or 4-0 beating from Barca or Real. :seagull:

When U18 Burnley reject Mitchell George takes a risk by dropping into the Welsh Premier League and scores 15 goals in 13 appearances to qualify minnows Cefyn Druids for the Europa League.

Edited by bruntonpasty

That player progress is not linear. My starting IF for 4 seasons fell off a cliff this past season - scoring a single goal in 25 Prem starts - after being a 1/3 goal scorer to that point in his career (5th season as a top flight player).

I used it as an excuse to sell him for 30mil GBP... not at all reactionary there, lol.

Being the joint highest earner at the club in season 7 on 185k/week.

Seems ever so long ago I got the Boxing Day summons to the chairman's office to explain why I shouldn't get the sack for being in the relegation zone during the holiday period :-)

On 17/08/2020 at 13:06, Weasek said:

For me its  the enjoyment I get out of just playing the game.i get so invested into the teams I manage&the players.the amount of times I have heard my wife say to me" I actually think you belive its real". There's always something new to learn about the game too.i would love to know the average play time people spend on this game that would probably say alot more than words

My wife has now taken to asking "Have you asked the board for a better contract?" or "When do you get that check for winning the Champions League?" whenever I start grumbling about the wonderkid striker who JUST signed a 4-year contract a  year ago and wants a re-negotiation because he's a better player...yeah, that's why I nailed you down to a 4-year contract...and seriously, fire your greedy agent!

^Ha. Ya FM has got the nastiness of agents down well ;-)

Having a narrative/scenario play out, like some bit they'd have on football focus:

• Sign more defensive WB Ben Salem to platoon with offensive WB Davies
  • Midway through that season, find 'the one' a CB - Jovecivic - I can retrain to be an all-rounder WB and the eventually #1, pushing Ben Salem down to #3
  • Offseason comes and for some reason (neither loan or transfer listed) every mid to lower Bundesliga team comes in for Ben Salem
  • Reject, reject, reject... Ben Salem wants to leave, gets the hump, and moral/training performances tank and he's playing u23 matches
  • Then a 'strong tackle' breaks Davies leg and Ben Salem moves up the depth chart
  • Playing ManUtd and to combat the roving runs of their R-WB Laird, I put Jovecivic as my L-IF and man mark him, meaning a rusty Ben Salem comes in at L-WB
  • Then this happens:

• Jove to Ben Salem and a 1-0 victory over Utd! Ben Salem is the player of the match and afterwards says all is forgiven and he no longer wants to leave. Queue the music and panning long shot :-)
Edited by CaptCanuck

For me, I have to know how every little thing  works.  I'll save the game and reload it multiple times and try different options, whether it's negotiating a contract, interacting with players or even replaying a match and slightly altering my tactics each time.  It's time consuming as hell and and I have played way too many hours for how little I've progressed, but I'm just weird that way.  However, I've learned so much by doing this.

В 03.09.2020 в 20:25, podunkboy сказал:

wonderkid striker who JUST signed a 4-year contract a  year ago and wants a re-negotiation because he's a better player...yeah, that's why I nailed you down to a 4-year contract...and seriously, fire your greedy agent!

probably this is you are a greedy manager :p I had the same issue in FM17/18 but later started to give better contracts in beginning so players don't ask for new contracts again and again 

• 2 weeks later...
15 минут назад, CaptCanuck сказал:

Wow! Nicely done. The side doesn't see a lot of reds but I've yet to have one overturned after 7 seasons.

Yeah I dont have many Y/R cards too, but there are even assist told me about wrong decision and appeal 

For me there is a lot to love about FM. The fact you can absorb yourself in that world for a while. A world where teams that shouldnt be winning leagues are.

Outside of the game I am quite nostalgic with FM and I guess supersticious in that every year with the exception of one year and I cant think why - I go to a supermarket or in recent years argos (as its close to my work) and get the physical copy of the game on release day. It has become a tradition that I will ALWAYS get the boxed copy. I look back quite fondly on the times I had driven to a supermarket leaving for work super early just to snag a copy of the game. I would sit and wait patiently for the shop to open before wandering in and asking a staff member for the game which had likely not even been put out on the shop floor yet :) getting back to my car and taking a picture of the box to seal the deal of the day then work through the day with nothing else on my mind lol

anyway, I realise that isnt exactly a fave thing in the game and I have rambled on.... sorry :)

On 17/09/2020 at 07:38, CaptCanuck said:

Showing a player who's boss: oh don't think you're getting enough playing time? Fine, we'll transfer list you don't let the door hit you on the way out...

2526_BHA_TallesMagnoCapitulate.thumb.JPG.b0230fb0dcb47c17d1d3ae0835aaa311.JPG

Did this with three players, all three said 'Fine, I'll leave then' :D

Now I only have three center backs...