Round of 16: Colombia v England (19:00 BST ITV1)

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Harryseaess said:

Why did Vardy and Lingard not take a pen? Especially Vardy.

Isn't it the case that players can say whether they want to take one or not? People often say these things are decided on forehand but I think it's not that set in stone. In the end it's more about confidence than quality. You can have a player with the most perfect kick, but if he isn't confident it's better to let someone else have a go. 

4 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

The 5 who took penalties all took good penalties so not sure what the issue here is?

Did you see Dier's penalty? Yeah it went in, it's coming home, etc, but **** me that was a bad pen. Ospina ****ed up.

24 minutes ago, Wiggins' Young Boys said:

not reading through 28 pages so probably already been said, but a pretty poor game all round

i was beginning to think I was the only one who could watch a game of football objectively. You'd have thought Kane is Pele if you read the 28 pages...

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Andrew_ said:

Did you see Dier's penalty? Yeah it went in, it's coming home, etc, but **** me that was a bad pen. Ospina ****ed up.

Who cares? We won, its coming home :cool:

PS. I'm sure the team will be looking at stuff like that, just enjoy it fgs :D 

9 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

The 5 who took penalties all took good penalties so not sure what the issue here is?

Dier's was an awful penalty.

8 minutes ago, Cedrik said:

Isn't it the case that players can say whether they want to take one or not? People often say these things are decided on forehand but I think it's not that set in stone. In the end it's more about confidence than quality. You can have a player with the most perfect kick, but if he isn't confident it's better to let someone else have a go. 

Yeah, probably. I'm just amazed a penalty taker for his club refuses to take a penalty. Bottler.

1 minute ago, Harryseaess said:

Yeah, probably. I'm just amazed a penalty taker for his club refuses to take a penalty. Bottler.

It was a surprise, but I have no qualms about that sort of stuff. If you don't fancy one you don't fancy one, fair play to him for being honest rather than stepping up because he felt he had to and missing.

U could argue that a penalty that went in is a good penalty.

But if we are talking about the art of taking a good penalty, the one Dier took was bad. The fact that the keeper still had a touch to it says enough about the penalty. A good penalty is impossible to save. Ask Alan Shearer. :) 

19 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

i was beginning to think I was the only one who could watch a game of football objectively. You'd have thought Kane is Pele if you read the 28 pages...

Well Kane now has 6 goals at the World Cup, equalling Pele's best ever effort in 1958.......

32 minutes ago, Tony85 said:

OK fine disgard Panama as well. The point still stands - there were enough chances in the Tunisia game to have scored about 5 goals. Who cares whether it was spread across one-half or the full-game? It was enough to say that we created a decent amount of chances in that game. Especially when Tunisia's aim was to play for a draw.

Last night most teams would probably have struggled to create with the kind of game Colombia wanted to make it. Saying that England are any worse than other sides at creating chances is wrong when the sample size of games is so small.

But it's nice you've moved on to criticising their attack. A few games ago it was their defense and how Colombia / any other good attacking side would rip it apart.

I didn't say that at all. At least get the user correct.

7 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

Well Kane now has 6 goals at the World Cup, equalling Pele's best ever effort in 1958.......

yeah but I look at how the goals are scored, and the performance. Not stats! 3 Pens, 2 tap ins off set piece and a fluke of the back of his heel he knew nothing about.

Spent the rest of the game immobile on the left wing or half way line, letting Sterling who hasn't scored in 4423786238764 minutes for England play the 9 role. Every throw in Kane is playing donkey down the line while Sterling occupies the middle ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rckmjp41fs4

1 hour ago, pearcey_90 said:

Blame commentator for Henderson missing. Jinxed him by saying he scored a pen against Ospina last season. Straight away you just knew he would then miss :D 

Martin Tyler said the same thing on the coverage over here. I immediately felt a sense of dread. :D

3 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

yeah but I look at how the goals are scored, and the performance. Not stats! 3 Pens, 2 tap ins off set piece and a fluke of the back of his heel he knew nothing about.

Spent the rest of the game immobile on the left wing or half way line, letting Sterling who hasn't scored in 4423786238764 minutes for England play the 9 role. Every throw in Kane is playing donkey down the line while Sterling occupies the middle ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rckmjp41fs4

Wow yeah you're right, those goals are incredible and not at all full of **** defending and goalkeeping :D 

1 minute ago, Barry Cartman said:

Wow yeah you're right, those goals are incredible and not at all full of **** defending and goalkeeping :D 

at least he is in control of his body and knows he has the ball and intentionally has a shot :D 

Just now, Barry Cartman said:

Vardy has taken 13 penalties for Leicester, scoring 11 and missing 2 

It seems like he was injured, he's pictured holding his groin in the celebrations 

Jamie-Vardy-1405995.jpg?r=1530682822137

Couple of radio stations running with him having a groin tear/strain.

What a night!

Dier's was a bad pen, he seems a strange character to me (bit too laid back maybe?), didn't really like him taking a pen :D

We've got to improve. Delighted to have got through but how many shots on target did we have other than the pen? The lack of care Alli is showing with the ball is amazing me, tbh. Wonder what his pass completion/ball retention stats were last night.

2 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

Vardy has taken 13 penalties for Leicester, scoring 11 and missing 2 

It seems like he was injured, he's pictured holding his groin in the celebrations 

Maybe he was a bit too excited?

12 hours ago, Weezer said:

WE'VE WON THE ****ING WORLD CUP!!!!!

How? England made it through the Ro16 against opponents they probably should have comfortably won against without extra time/penalties lol. Overreaction much?

4 minutes ago, RedNomad said:

How? England made it through the Ro16 against opponents they probably should have comfortably won against without extra time/penalties lol. Overreaction much?

And yet the other day you were one of those claiming Colombia would easily beat us, now we should have won comfortably? 

3 minutes ago, Readingfanman said:

Incredible stat from last night I have just seen.

Jordan Pickford ran only 200M less than Messi did in their equivalent R of 16 games.

Because of the extra time, this is true.

If you do a proper like-for-like comparison, Messi ran considerably more, as you'd expect.

Messi - 7,675m

Pickford - 5,707m (over 90 minutes)

It is a concern that we’ve not scored any goals (other than Lingard’s beauty and the fluke for Kane’s hat trick) that haven’t been from set pieces.

That said, Alli missed a glorious headed chance but again that was from a cross. We don’t really have any creativity in the middle - Alli is clearly injured, Sterling is just rubbish if he has to think and Lingard doesn’t have enough influence on things. Henderson not creative either.

Can we win it with dangerous crosses and set pieces as our main weapon? Stranger things have happened but I think we’d really struggle against France or a full strength Belgium (if they get past Uruguay/Brazil). I actually think we’d have a better chance against Brazil than any of those four.

It'd be fantastic to get to the final though, and anything can happen in one game. 🤞

3 minutes ago, Readingfanman said:

Incredible stat from last night I have just seen.

Jordan Pickford ran only 200M less than Messi did in their equivalent R of 16 games.

He also played 30 minutes more.

5 minutes ago, RedNomad said:

I think he was joking 🙄

13 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

Mahrez takes them for Leicester, not Vardy... for what it's worth.

No. Vardy is the main penalty taker now.

Seems he has a groin issue which isn't the best when you're a guy who tends to smash their pens.

An glad in a way as would have been slightly disappointed had he chosen not to step up for other reasons. Regular penalty takers at club level should be taking them.

1 minute ago, Marc.Foster050 said:

Yeah him and Lingard both have knocks, nothing to do with bottling it.

Even if they were bottling it, credits for not taking one :). I think it's better to be clear about that and just say no than 'taking your responsibility' whilst not feeling confident. 

1 minute ago, Barry Cartman said:

1 more goal at this World Cup and Kane is officially better than Pele 

Tbh, and this is probably going to **** a lot of English people off, I don't think Kane is that impressive this WC so far. Also expected more from him last night. So far his goals are three penalties, one deflected shot that accidentally hit his leg and two tap-ins against Tunisia from close range. Nothing against Kane btw, think he is a great player and also comes across as a likeable character, but feel his goals so far can be put into perspective. 

1 minute ago, martplfc1 said:

It is a concern that we’ve not scored any goals (other than Lingard’s beauty and the fluke for Kane’s hat trick) that haven’t been from set pieces.

That said, Alli missed a glorious headed chance but again that was from a cross. We don’t really have any creativity in the middle - Alli is clearly injured, Sterling is just rubbish if he has to think and Lingard doesn’t have enough influence on things. Henderson not creative either.

Can we win it with dangerous crosses and set pieces as our main weapon? Stranger things have happened but I think we’d really struggle against France or a full strength Belgium (if they get past Uruguay/Brazil). I actually think we’d have a better chance against Brazil than any of those four.

It'd be fantastic to get to the final though, and anything can happen in one game. 🤞

I think the standard of opposition means they'll get to the final playing this way. I don't see it being enough to beat Brazil, who I think will come through from the other side.

Or even France/Uruguay for that matter.

15 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

Just looks like he's having a cheeky celebratory tug to me. #havingaparty

1 minute ago, Cedrik said:

Tbh, and this is probably going to **** a lot of English people off, I don't think Kane is that impressive this WC so far. Also expected more from him last night. So far his goals are three penalties, one deflected shot that accidentally hit his leg and two tap-ins against Tunisia from close range. Nothing against Kane btw, think he is a great player and also comes across as a likeable character, but feel his goals so far can be put into perspective. 

Klose won the golden boot after scoring a bunch of tap ins against Saudi Arabia, doesn't mean he isn't considered a World Cup legend.

1 minute ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

Klose won the golden boot after scoring a bunch of tap ins against Saudi Arabia, doesn't mean he isn't considered a World Cup legend.

This is misleading isn't it? Because he did a bit more than that. There's 13 more goals he added to his total beyond those vs. Saudi Arabia, that put him in World Cup legend status

Archived