Round of 16: Colombia v England (19:00 BST ITV1)

Just now, G-Man11 said:

A disappointingly mundane answer after all the suspense :(.

I mean yeah it is brilliant but one could argue he ending up making a needless fantastic save to give away a corner that they conceded from :brock:.

Has the world seen a replay from infront of the goal? I haven’t seen one anywhere.. 

WE DESERVE ANSWERS!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Andrew_ said:

Save of the tournament if it happened how i remembered it. Not seen a replay either.

(Altho i hear the Japan keeper mad a good one which i missed)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44646588

That's probably the one although imho he only has to make it because his positioning is a mess in the first place and he does push it back into danger.

14 minutes ago, Pukey said:

I'm guessing they have 5 named based on who's most likely to be on the pitch which didn't include Vardy and they didn't want to change it. 

Vardy seemed to have a problem with his groin by the look of it.

I would have thought he would have been one of the 5. Disappointed if he didn't fancy it rather than injured though, his last few pens at club level have been superb (not just hit and hope like previously)

47 minutes ago, SpillBlood said:

Oh also I thought Young played bloody well but Maguire is bloody brilliant.

I've probably been Maguire's biggest critic but my god he was fantastic!

End of page 24 and Jack loves Dani! :hammer:

Just now, Icelander83 said:

There was one I found a bit suspect when it happened. Might have been Rashford?

He did the started straight then circled round thing iirc. Once he got going he didn't stop at least

1 minute ago, Andrew_ said:

He did the started straight then circled round thing iirc. Once he got going he didn't stop at least

Yeah, I was happy when I saw him not mess around with actually approaching the ball. Really felt like he was gonna stutter a bit in the end.

12 minutes ago, Andrew_ said:

Don't think we saw any stupid run ups in the shootout either.

Rashford's run-up reminded me of that Croatian guy, who I think missed then Gary Neville gave him grief.

Pivarac or something.

12 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

I also have to commend Colombia here. They took shithousery to new levels tonight. Have to respect that, almost paid off. If it hadn't been against England I'd have been applauding

Honestly, I thought they weren't even that good at shithousery. One of the dumbest penalties of the World Cup, might have had a red for the worst excuse for a headbutt ever if the ref didn't decide he saw it when he was blatantly looking the other way, and they targeted everybody except Dele Alli (not that Alli contributed much anyway, but still). Even tried to get a reaction from Sterling at half time, whose form of retaliation was probably texting his mum.

21 minutes ago, G-Man11 said:

Going wide.

Was convinced by this watching in real time (tbf I also thought Pickford made a colossal hash of a shot so speculative and loopy he might have caught it, which is not so well justified by replays :lol:)

Did anyone in any highlights/replays package figure it out?

4 minutes ago, Icelander83 said:

There was one I found a bit suspect when it happened. Might have been Rashford?

Was convinced he was going to miss even before the silly run up. Good penalty though. Gareth must have made him practice. Lad wasn't even born last time we won a penalty shootout...

1 minute ago, Bliss Seeker said:

So, are we coming down enough yet to talk about Southgate's obvious defencies as a manager or wait until to tomorrow? 

I can wait to be honest. 

Leave it until we lift the trophy and decide whether he should take us to the Euros or not...

2 minutes ago, Bliss Seeker said:

So, are we coming down enough yet to talk about Southgate's obvious defencies as a manager or wait until to tomorrow? 

I can wait to be honest. 

Listening to him a bit earlier, there were all sorts of injuries. 

Think there will be several changes ahead of Sweden 

I was pretty satisfied with England tonight. 1st half of extra time they were *******, but understandable given the timing of the equaliser.

Maguire was magnificent tonight... I picked him out as a weak link before the game so well done to him.

What we must remember is that this is an England team inferior in quality in many areas, to win a knockout football match against a well drilled Colombia team is a real achievement, not an escape.

10 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

Was convinced by this watching in real time (tbf I also thought Pickford made a colossal hash of a shot so speculative and loopy he might have caught it, which is not so well justified by replays :lol:)

Did anyone in any highlights/replays package figure it out?

BBC highlights just showed a replay from in front of the goal and the shot was going wide.

Obviously Pickford could not have known that.

1 hour ago, Carmi88 said:

love island over knowing the score? disgraceful

I had resigned myself to losing and screw those emotions for a 2nd round exit, I'll do exactly the same for our other penalty shootouts other than the final so don't blame me if we lose the final on pens and I'm watching even though it'd clearly be all my fault :(

Just seen the penalties on MOTD, Pickford's save was quality whilst Dier's was poor nevertheless it went in, also didn't realise they hit the bar with a pen...

Anyway I thought today's game would be harder than Sweden or Russia so hoping the Russians beat Croatia and I reckon we're on for the final, delighted for the whole England team however Southgate's changes were not great and I was fuming at Vardy strolling and chewing gum.

Who holds the record for most goals scored in a single world cup tournament and what number is it? Wondering if Kane got 10 would that be a record as it's not impossible...

25 minutes ago, Bliss Seeker said:

He's not an internal footballer. 

Simple. Stupid of Southgate to turn to him above Rashford. 

Garbage - he is the second best English striker around.

He came on tonight to be an outlet for hoofs to relieve pressure.

It's fine to suggest Rashford over him given the system England play in normal circumstances, but given the circumstances of the game with 5 minutes left when coming under pressure, it's not stupid to bring him on at that moment.

4 minutes ago, Hodgy said:

Who holds the record for most goals scored in a single world cup tournament and what number is it? Wondering if Kane got 10 would that be a record as it's not impossible...

Just Fontaine in 1958, 13 goals

Management, the formation we use and style of play down to Southgate and it's superb.  Brilliant at PR and managing the media and seemingly the England camp.

Substitutions not always right for me.  Prefer Rash to Vardy.  In fact I don't think Vardy fits the style at all.  Dier looks out of form at the moment; Alli playing through fitness issues.  Arguably Delph would have done better than Dier (that's a comment in itself) but Eric stood up and scored then pen so hat's off for that.  Overall though...c'mon :thup::onmehead:

3 minutes ago, martynlcfc said:

Garbage - he is the second best English striker around.

He came on tonight to be an outlet for hoofs to relieve pressure.

It's fine to suggest Rashford over him given the system England play in normal circumstances, but given the circumstances of the game with 5 minutes left when coming under pressure, it's not stupid to bring him on at that moment.

He's not good enough. There's a reason he took so long to make it in the top tier and a reason why he doesn't quite work on the highest level. 

And there's a reason why he's never played for a top team. 

He's bloody brilliant at playing on the shoulder on the counter, but not good enough at the other stuff. 

I like him. But he was quite obviously the wrong sub in hindsight. 

4 minutes ago, Bliss Seeker said:

He's not good enough. There's a reason he took so long to make it in the top tier and a reason why he doesn't quite work on the highest level. 

He's bloody brilliant at playing on the shoulder on the counter, but not good enough at the other stuff. 

Yeah if we're going to make changes for the next game I'd definitely be picking Rashford over Vardy. Alli isn't fit. Delph should start. Rose in for Young, if only to freshen him up because he ran his arse off tonight. Was excellent, up there with Maguire as MoTM. 

3 minutes ago, PMLF said:

The manager of Colombia criticized English players for their simulation, and also criticized the refereeing.

https://globoesporte.globo.com/futebol/selecoes/colombia/noticia/pekerman-critica-simulacoes-dos-ingleses-e-coloca-ausencia-de-james-como-crucial.ghtml

Presumably he wanted some of his players sent off early on?

11 minutes ago, Bliss Seeker said:

He plays and thrives at a standard higher than most international football every week. Look at the goal return against big sides.

The late development in his career is pretty irrelevant to what he is like as a player now as is what clubs he has played for. 

I have no issue with people saying he doesn't fit the style (indeed he can only really play the role as main central striker where he is of course 2nd fiddle to Kane) but to say he is not of international quality isnt right imo. He is a better player than most think, even if his main attribute is pace in behind.

Anyway, It's coming home (with a Vardy winner in the final)

1 hour ago, Pukey said:

I'm guessing they have 5 named based on who's most likely to be on the pitch which didn't include Vardy and they didn't want to change it. 

2 of the 5 takers arent starters

Archived