Opening game: Russia v Saudi Arabia (Group A, 1600BST)

Rob1981

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Koetzer said:

He's injured but hasn't played for national team since 2016 so anyway was unlikely to be called up.

Cheers. 

Just when I considered that Zhirkov was playing, I remembered Schennikov was meant to be the future LB of Russia but I guess it hasn't worked out. 

Cheryshev scores but he's been poor. Has no end product. 

12 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Yeah, that 2026 WC will have a lot of unwatchable games.

This is pretty bad. It's the opening game so everyone's still hyped, but in a week noone will be interested in games of this caliber.

In a week we'll rarely be seeing games like this. All the big teams will be playing and we'll have one maybe two stinkers per day at worst, then the KOs come anyway. 

E: I mean we have Spain Vs Portugal tomorrow. Do we all expect that to be a repeat of this game? :D

7 minutes ago, JDownie said:

In a week we'll rarely be seeing games like this. All the big teams will be playing and we'll have one maybe two stinkers per day at worst, then the KOs come anyway. 

E: I mean we have Spain Vs Portugal tomorrow. Do we all expect that to be a repeat of this game? :D

Yeah, but there's at least 5-6 teams that obviously lack quality for this level, while Italy, Netherlands, Chile and even the likes of Ecuador and some other European nation are at home.

It's not even the technical aspect, but some of these teams are playing recreational football. Saudis look stuck in the second gear.

Commentary annoyed me earlier complaining about the linesman not flagging offside, when literally just an hour or so ago Clattenburg said they're not gonna raise it while the ball's still in play.

I know they do research but do they not ****ing do it properly or what? Don't be like Jonathan Pearce.

1 minute ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Yeah, but there's at least 5-6 teams that obviously lack quality for this level, while Italy, Netherlands, Chile and even the likes of Ecuador and some other European nation are at home.

It's not even the technical aspect, but some of these teams are playing recreational football. Saudis look stuck in the second gear.

So you want a World Cup where we exclude Asian and African teams because there's better European teams not going? 

E: if Italy and Holland can't get there ahead of the likes of Iceland, Switzerland, Sweden, Denmark then they don't deserve to go. 

If you just want to watch European teams, Euro 2020 is in 2 years. Wait for that instead. Some of the Saudi players have shown some decent flashes of ability but yeah they're nowhere near the quality of Russia and keep leaving themselves completely wide open for counter attacks.

Just now, Heartwork said:

If you just want to watch European teams, Euro 2020 is in 2 years. Wait for that instead. Some of the Saudi players have shown some decent flashes of ability but yeah they're nowhere near the quality of Russia and keep leaving themselves completely wide open for counter attacks.

And they deserve to go - they went through a qualifying campaign to prove that. 

Yes they're not gonna win it, but that doesn't mean we don't let them go just because there's other nations with better players who couldn't perform in their qualifiers. 

Just now, JDownie said:

Yes they're not gonna win it, but that doesn't mean we don't let them go just because there's other nations with better players who couldn't perform in their qualifiers. 

Yeah this is a great chance for them to show what they can do. Some of them have a lot of raw potential and if they went to a bigger club after this, they could refine their play a bit and become properly good.

6 minutes ago, git2thachoppa said:

Commentary annoyed me earlier complaining about the linesman not flagging offside, when literally just an hour or so ago Clattenburg said they're not gonna raise it while the ball's still in play.

I know they do research but do they not ****ing do it properly or what? Don't be like Jonathan Pearce.

Hey? They said not raise it if it's marginal. Not even one part of his body was onside, got to be giving that ffs :D

10 minutes ago, JDownie said:

So you want a World Cup where we exclude Asian and African teams because there's better European teams not going?  

No, just reduce the number.

Senegal and Nigeria obviously have the quality.
One of Morroco and Egypt would be enough as a direct placement.

Korea, Japan, Iran, Saudi are all mediocre at best.
2 slots are enough for direct placement.

Costa Rica and Mexico have the quality, Panama doesn't.

That's 5 teams.
Make inter-continental playoff tournament.
Maybe 5-8 slots open for taking, 3-4 teams from each continent.
Because there are obviously quality shifts and the most quality teams should go through.

8 minutes ago, Heartwork said:

I want to watch quality teams.
If for example instead of some of the weakest teams we had peak Ivory Coast and Cameroon, I'd be all for it.
I'd prefer Chile and Ecuador, even Paraguay to these amateurs.

7 minutes ago, JDownie said:

Yeah, because the system is fairly distributed.
4 Asian teams, 4 African and 5 South American.

And no Asian or African, even Central American team would qualify through South American qualifiers.
Even a lot of European teams that are here would have trouble.

South Americans are at a loss because their continent has only 10 countries. And during every WC cycle there's like 8 of them who'd fight for knockout places in WC.

If the smaller countries don't have a chance to compete at this level, they'll never improve. Not only as for the team, but it creates a much higher interest in football in general if a small team suddenly reches the World Cup or th EURO.

If you want to see the same bunch of teams/players competing for the win, we've already have the CL every single year...

1 minute ago, elgreenio said:

what are the group sorting rules? head-to-head then goals scored? Russia need to really get at these Saudi's

Points, goal difference, goals scored, then head-to-head.

1 minute ago, elgreenio said:

what are the group sorting rules? head-to-head then goals scored? Russia need to really get at these Saudi's

The rankings of teams in each group are determined as follows (regulations Article 32.5):[34]

1. points obtained in all group matches;
  2. goal difference in all group matches;
  3. number of goals scored in all group matches;

If two or more teams are equal on the basis of the above three criteria, their rankings are determined as follows:

1. points obtained in the group matches between the teams concerned;
  2. goal difference in the group matches between the teams concerned;
  3. number of goals scored in the group matches between the teams concerned;
  4. fair play points
    • first yellow card: minus 1 point;
    • indirect red card (second yellow card): minus 3 points;
    • direct red card: minus 4 points;
    • yellow card and direct red card: minus 5 points;
  5. drawing of lots by the FIFA Organising Committee.

15 minutes ago, git2thachoppa said:

What? Not gonna flag for offside if the ball's still in play? So could play for 2 minutes after an offside, end up scoring then get called back for offside? :D

5 minutes ago, Orzelek said:

If the smaller countries don't have a chance to compete at this level, they'll never improve. Not only as for the team, but it creates a much higher interest in football in general if a small team suddenly reches the World Cup or th EURO.

If you want to see the same bunch of teams/players competing for the win, we've already have the CL every single year...

I'm Croatian. we don't even have 5mil population yet we missed only 2 big tournaments since the independence.

Uruguay also doesn't have even 4mil and they're at nearly every world cup.

Iceland qualified for EURO and now WC with less than 500k.

They knocked out England.

You don't improve by getting wrecked in 3 WC games. They got wrecked in 2002, 8-0(!), and will probably get battered again.

As I said, I don't care about population or big name countries, it's just about quality of football.

I mentioned big name countries because they come to mind first.

It's sad that Palermo-Frosinone, Serie A playoff game from last night is more quality than World Cup opener.

And then they want to expand it to 48? Why? Because it generates more money.
Not because quality of football will improve.

2 minutes ago, PMLF said:

If it was up to me the World Cup would have only 16 teams, but chances are Saudi Arabia could still qualify.

Yeah, EURO should definitely be 16. Maybe 16 is steep for the WC, but I want to see quality football, not amateurs parading.

Archived