Opening game: Russia v Saudi Arabia (Group A, 1600BST)

Rob1981

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, elgreenio said:

does Brazil 1 - 7 Germany count as a one sided dull game?

Cant wait to see Suarez against this lot

Difference there being it was a shock result so provides more entertainment in that sense, plus the "lol" value of seeing Brazil **** up.

2 minutes ago, JDownie said:

Has to be. 

2 assists and a goal. Brilliant performance from him.

I would've had Golovin as MOTM, even before the free-kick. I can certainly see why he's reportedly wanted by big Premier League clubs.

1 minute ago, PMLF said:

Yes, previous biggest was Germany 5-2 Costa Rica

That was only 4-2 to Germany.

1 minute ago, G-Man11 said:

Difference there being it was a shock result so provides more entertainment in that sense, plus the "lol" value of seeing Brazil **** up.

Yes, seeing Brazil lose 1-7 you are seeing history being made.

Seeing the Saudis get crushed is just business as usual.

Just now, CFuller said:

I would've had Golovin as MOTM, even before the free-kick. I can certainly see why he's reportedly wanted by big Premier League clubs.

That was only 4-2 to Germany.

True, but same thing. No bigger than 5-0.

How did Saudi Arabia qualify? Playoff game against Tuvalu?

I did call Russia to get out of the group but expected close games against both Saudi Arabia and Egypt, makes me think how **** UAE, Iraq, Uzbekistan, Qatar must be. And FIFA want more Asian teams in this :lol:

Just now, av3ry said:

They got the 2nd automatic spot in group B tied with Australia on 19 points but having +2 more goal difference. I suspect they would have struggled to get past Syria and Honduras in the plays off. The other teams in Group B were Japan who won it, and UAE, Iraq and Thailand.

4 minutes ago, av3ry said:

First in group with UAE, Palestine, Malaysia and Timor-Leste in preliminary phase, 6-2-0 score.

Second behind Japan in group with Australia, UAE, Iraq, Thailand, 6-1-3 score.

Amazing road to the WC.

1 minute ago, DB08 said:

Japan, South Korea, Australia and Iran are generally good. The next group of Asian teams needs to make some serious improvement though (UAE, Saudis, North Korea, etc.).

Specially on their human rights :brock:

Watched Korea-Bosnia friendly before the WC, Bosnia won 1-3 easily, even though they obviously didn't care about the game.

1 minute ago, Bliss Seeker said:

Is there a legal YouTube link or something where I can see the goals?

Reddit, usually. Ugh, *soccer* reddit. The only thing I use it for, seeing the goals I missed.

17 minutes ago, georginho_juventusygr said:

Saudis are still fasting, right?

Apparently Ramadan can be taken to have ended just before the World Cup.

Even if it hasn't, there are ways around it or ways to manipulate the doctrine so sportsmen can eat.

Religion is malleable and bends to our will. I guess if as many people actually believed in hell and an angry vengeful god, they'd all be starving and everyone would be in church.

17 minutes ago, georginho_juventusygr said:

Saudis are still fasting, right?

Russia’s opponents in the opening fixture, Saudi Arabia will play their first match during Ramadan. Moreover, their base in St Petersburg is currently experiencing 18 hours of daylight. Faced with such strictures, the majority of the Saudi camp have opted to defer their fast till after the tournament. Citing travel as a cause for postponement is a common dispensation during Ramadan. It was given the rubber stamp by Saudi authorities who issued abstention permits to players who required them

An average Russian team put five without replay past a Saudi team, who qualify with ease into every World Cup finals, but must have one of the worst records of any team in the finals. Just think how much better it will get when with have 40 or even 48 teams, that are inferior to the Saudis.  

2 minutes ago, Redshift said:

Kind of weird how the Saudi's struggled when they did well in a qualifying group with Japan and Australia. Kind of makes me wonder how they will do in the tournament.

They qualified with Bert van Marwijk as their coach and were much better when he managed them but he quit over a contract dispute and over him refusing to move to Saudi Arabia full time.

15 minutes ago, Redshift said:

Kind of weird how the Saudi's struggled when they did well in a qualifying group with Japan and Australia. Kind of makes me wonder how they will do in the tournament.

I sometimes think South Korea / Japan are not as good as they are made out to be. Whenever I watch them they always seem quite toothless going forward so they don't hurt teams like Saudi Arabia which allows them to get positive results. People think that because they have some well known players that they are decent sides but the majority still aren't playing for top class teams.

1 minute ago, Rob1981 said:

What happened to VAR by the way? Fourth goal was all kinds of offside in the build up.

The Dzyuba flick to Cheryshev? He was marginally offside, certainly arguable that it wasn't a clear mistake for the linesman to make (in allowing play to continue). 

Maybe they didn't have enough conclusive angles to judge it offside? 

I agree it was offside fwiw, but it was maybe a couple of inches on the far side from the linesman, and the two players were wrestling for position - not an easy call. 

Archived